Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 196 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5851 of 8245 Old 05-03-2014, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Its not refurbished ... Best buy only deals with brand new units. You are being paranoid. They were and are still built the same from 2013 until now. If you don't see any issues with it .... What's the issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 8245 Old 05-03-2014, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 29
^^

What you're saying is what I hope is true.

The issue is what if the plasma panel has been used, and then a mainboard swap happened, and the panel was not properly treated when it was used, and so has non-uniformity of color response across the panel.

I haven't had it long enough, or critically watched it in the right conditions enough, to know whether that is a reality or not.

I'm sort of looking for good, informed opinions that might save me from having to do that critical analysis, which I would rather not spend time doing if possible.

I'm all for "just enjoy the TV", but strange anomalies like this do, admittedly, make me a bit paranoid.

(There was a recent interesting psychological study, that suggested that a tendency towards self-protective paranoia is genetic, and is reflected in one's political leanings. I am admittedly more leaning towards paranoia, but I try to keep it rational...).
post #5853 of 8245 Old 05-03-2014, 03:54 PM

^^

Oh, and it is categorically untrue that "They were and are still built the same from 2013 until now."

Which is what helps to feed a little paranoia.

Production lines make corrections and improvements all the time.

For example, all the 2013 high-end Panasonic plasmas were shipped with the "fan fix" after a certain date. Before that date, you got one that needed a retro-fit of the "fan fix" if you were so inclined. (And a number of ZT60 owners got their panels ruined by micro-fractures when the retro-fit fix was not properly applied).

October, 2013 is thought by some people to be a bad month for 60F8500 buzzing. The reports on this forum are not numerous enough to be statistically valid, it could have been just a false cluster, but there appeared to be a high rate of buzzing problems for those October models.

That sort of thing feeds paranoia.

Which, is why was ask questions of others...
post #5854 of 8245 Old 05-03-2014, 03:54 PM

Its a brand new unit... Samsung does not send Best Buy refurbed units ...ever. If you peeled plastic off the set and it came from best buy..... Brand new. Now enjoy your set!
post #5855 of 8245 Old 05-03-2014, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi everyone, we've just had a couple of killer updates on this TV on the UK, 1117 then 1118 a few days later, the difference is night and day, everything is better, motion, blacks and the PQ just pops out at you, just mental, this just walks all over the VT65 IMO. Have you noticed any similar improvements in the US?

Panasonic TXP65VT65B, Samsung BD-C5900, HT-D455, DA-E670, Galaxy S4, Iphone 5, 10.1" Tab 2. SKY HD. Atollo LED light strips, Philips Living Colours Lamp, Harmony One Remote.
post #5856 of 8245 Old 05-03-2014, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 73
How do you know it walks all over a VT65?
post #5857 of 8245 Old 05-03-2014, 04:47 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post

How do you know it walks all over a VT65?

I spent an hour testing a VT65 before I chose this TV a year ago, there was no contest IMO

Panasonic TXP65VT65B, Samsung BD-C5900, HT-D455, DA-E670, Galaxy S4, Iphone 5, 10.1" Tab 2. SKY HD. Atollo LED light strips, Philips Living Colours Lamp, Harmony One Remote.
post #5858 of 8245 Old 05-03-2014, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post

And.... The Samsung repair tech came today, to install the "new firmware" to fix my flickering and ghosting problem. Brought it on a USB stick.

He looked into the menu on my F8500, and said "You have firmware 1119!".

Well, yes, that's the latest firmware.

"Samsung told me that 1116 would fix your problem, so that's what I brought".

Ummmmm....

"I'll write down that I ensured that the latest firmwre was installed, and it did not fix the problem. Wait until this afternoon, so that my notes can get into the system, and call Samsung to tell them that it's not fixed."

I've now taken 2 days off work to deal with this, and the 64F8500 has been sitting on the floor for almost 3 weeks.

Does anyone have any idea or suggestions as to how to get Samsung to fix my F8500 that is less than 2 months old?

I am having the EXACT same issue. The flickering ghosting of half the screen on a dark background. Spent all day trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Had this TV about a month already. Noticed the flickering a few times but didn't think much of it, seemed worse today. Couldn't tell if it was my cables or receiver or what. Also ran into what you did as well, it happening with the no input window floating, so that ruled out the cables and the receiver finally after about 6 hours of messing with this today. Found your post about it being the black optimization settings. I had mine on dark room and sure enough going to bright room or off, problem solved. Have it on bright room now and it's perfect. But still annoyed at the problem. Any update on a fix for this? I am on firmware 1120, but haven't done a factory reset yet.

Anyone else run fixed this problem yet?
post #5859 of 8245 Old 05-04-2014, 12:04 AM

^^

You did not say what size your F8500 is, but this seems to be a somewhat not-uncommon issue with the 64F8500. Read this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1486943/samsung-f8500-black-optimizer-issue-anyone-else-experience-this

It does not seem to be a firmware issue, nor does a factory reset do anything about it. A TV replacement, with the same firmware, always fixes it.

I solved this by having my whole 64F8500 replaced with a new unit under warranty.

I would recommend that you do the same.

That did require almost a month of hand-to-hand combat to make it happen. When you call Samsung, don't talk to the person that you get connected to, insist that you be put through to Executive Customer Relations. That's how I fixed this.

When Samsung says that they have never heard of this problem (as they told me), point them to this thread, and the other thread, and to the Youtube videos, showing that they have indeed been informed about this issue.
post #5860 of 8245 Old 05-04-2014, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
This was an open box at PC Richard. I usually stear clear of these but I demanded they look up the service tag ID number as I'm sure the service dept keeps records of this. They actually said " nobody has ever asked this before" but finally conceded. They said it was just serviced on April 24 and the power board was replaced. I didn't think that was too bad. It actually had everything still in the original wrapping(unopened) and plastic ...remotes , glasses etc. I decided to buy it as I got them down from $1,600 to $1,300. I was trying to check the hours at the store but was not able to. I read that I was suppose to put it in standby mode(not sure how to do that) and press menu, mute and power at the same time. I was not able to get it into the service screen. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks

beau
post #5861 of 8245 Old 05-04-2014, 05:44 AM

Liked: 14
Hi there folks, I had planned on buying a LCD television such as a 64F8000 as they're on sale at the moment but after looking at televisions yesterday I'm thinking of the 60F8500. Really want the 64F8500 but it would destroy my budget and that's one thing I can't compromise.

The 60" seems like a pretty decent size and the sales person thinks that it should do fine if I'm sitting about 9' or so away from it. BTW I'm coming from a 51" RPTV at the moment. Bigger always is better but this is probably a better choice than a 5500 series at a larger size, correct? I'm unfamiliar with the tech in the 8500's compared to Samsung's other plasmas.
post #5862 of 8245 Old 05-04-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadaffy View Post

Hi there folks, I had planned on buying a LCD television such as a 64F8000 as they're on sale at the moment but after looking at televisions yesterday I'm thinking of the 60F8500. Really want the 64F8500 but it would destroy my budget and that's one thing I can't compromise.

The 60" seems like a pretty decent size and the sales person thinks that it should do fine if I'm sitting about 9' or so away from it. BTW I'm coming from a 51" RPTV at the moment. Bigger always is better but this is probably a better choice than a 5500 series at a larger size, correct? I'm unfamiliar with the tech in the 8500's compared to Samsung's other plasmas.
What is the top of your budget and yes the F8500 would be the best TV from what you have listed and almost anything else out right now for that matter.
post #5863 of 8245 Old 05-04-2014, 06:37 AM

I live in Canada where televisions as a rule are $500-1000 more depending on size. In my province combined taxes equal 13%. My threshold, with taxes, is $3500. Even at a good quoted price on the 64F8500 I'm still over budget by nearly $250. Personally I can live losing 4.5" if it means I can get something like a BDI stand that much sooner. Wife also does NOT want me going over budget, either. smile.gif

Edit: meant to quote you but I messed it up. The mobile version on iPad is kinda funky.
Edit edit: by over budget I mean allotted for things like televisions and such.
post #5864 of 8245 Old 05-04-2014, 06:58 AM

Liked: 65
Quote:

I live in Canada where televisions as a rule are $500-1000 more depending on size. In my province combined taxes equal 13%. My threshold, with taxes, is $3500. Even at a good quoted price on the 64F8500 I'm still over budget by nearly $250. Personally I can live losing 4.5" if it means I can get something like a BDI stand that much sooner. Wife also does NOT want me going over budget, either. smile.gif

Edit: meant to quote you but I messed it up. The mobile version on iPad is kinda funky.

I have the 60" and it is more than enough at about 9 feet. I also went several hundred dollars over budget... My wife loves the TV so she got over it. biggrin.gif

post #5865 of 8245 Old 05-04-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris5028 View Post

I have the 60" and it is more than enough at about 9 feet. I also went several hundred dollars over budget... My wife loves the TV so she got over it. biggrin.gif

I was given a slight discount off the sale price for the 60" so that is really factoring into my decision. Plus I'm concerned with how many plasma's Samsung is going to be making for the remainder of the year. I guess the 60 inchers will be done soon and the larger size (in the 8500 series) will still be around but again, how long and how many will be made? This particular store is only getting a set amount. He said that when Panasonic announced they were ending production that they sold out their entire ST60 stock in less than a month.

The 8500's are just beautiful, aesthetically. My wife thought that the 60" wouldn't come with the stand that the 64F8500 comes with (figured it'd be the 4 legged kind) and when I told her it has the same type of stand that made her really happy.

She didn't like the picture at all on the 8000's, price be damned. biggrin.gif
post #5866 of 8245 Old 05-04-2014, 10:32 AM

Liked: 11
Hi all new 60" 8500 owner with a question.
My setup is DISH receiver HDMI to AV receiver (Marantz) HDMI out to TV. I have a media player HDMI to AV receiver. Wired network to all devices. On the AV receiver remote if I select TV or media player all is fine but if I select Network or Internet Radio I lose the TV picture so I cannot "see" to make selections. I have had this exact same setup with two other TV's (Hitachi & Panasonic) and all worked fine. When I select internet radio or network I get a message about the "STB" needs setup. The DISH receiver is my STB, an AV receiver cannot be an STB. So, how to I get this to work, anybody else have this issue?
Also, just curious. Do you allow the AV receiver to manage the Video or do you turn that off and send thru the Video?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Mike
post #5867 of 8245 Old 05-04-2014, 01:16 PM

I literally can't tell a difference between black optimizer set to dark or bright room...what exactly does this adjust? Am I the only one here?
post #5868 of 8245 Old 05-04-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by hove131 View Post

I literally can't tell a difference between black optimizer set to dark or bright room...what exactly does this adjust? Am I the only one here?

You're not the only one, I don't see it either. Of course though, I wish I could press the button without the menu on the screen and just look for the effect that way. I don't know what it changes, but I keep it on Dark Room.

Furthermore, I'm wondering if Bright Room is "brighter" than Off.
post #5869 of 8245 Old 05-04-2014, 02:49 PM

I'm writing a bit speculatively here, based on what I know of the Black Optimizer (BO).

What I am writing is not intended to be authoritative, but rather speculative and suggestive. And, I hope that it brings in comments from people who actually know a lot more than I do.

My understanding is that the Black Optimizer works in two ways:

1. At the white end, in program material that does not have whites above ANSI 235, it is able to scale the whites up to 255, which the F8500 is capable of displaying. This increases the contrast ratio.

2. At the black end, it implements Pulse Reset to improve the blacks. I have no idea how that works, just what I have read. This apparently increases the contrast ratio, by a means that I am not astute enough to explain.

My understanding is that "Auto" BO uses the F8500 light sensor to modulate those two capabilities to the specific lighting situation.

My own personal, subjective experience (and it is subjective, not measured) is that Bright Room favors upscaling on the white end, and Dark Room favors kicking in the Pulse Reset on the black end.
Damien Inferno likes this.
post #5870 of 8245 Old 05-04-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:

I cant tell the difference either.
post #5871 of 8245 Old 05-04-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

Purchased my PN64F8500 in Ontario for $3503 including taxes - pissed off that I didn't bargain the price down, but instead was happy with Free delivery and Setup. (And I always Bargain - guess I was just happy wife was kicking in $1000! (But then again, she's the one that mostly watches it.))
post #5872 of 8245 Old 05-04-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Purchased my PN64F8500 in Ontario for $3503 including taxes - pissed off that I didn't bargain the price down, but instead was happy with Free delivery and Setup. (And I always Bargain - guess I was just happy wife was kicking in $1000! (But then again, she's the one that mostly watches it.))

Oh nice! The 65" would be $3700 or so with taxes and I'd rather save some money.

Might just have to move the couch closer to make up the difference. wink.gif
post #5873 of 8245 Old 05-04-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:

Can't speak about bright room but in dark room it reduces the frequency of low apl scenes such that black drops down to .002 ft lamberts.

I usually calibrate with it turned off. After calibration, I turn it back on to auto.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #5874 of 8245 Old 05-04-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Oh nice! The 65" would be $3700 or so with taxes and I'd rather save some money.

From where you are sitting I think you will enjoy the 60 incher just as well. Some times people go too Big because of the picture quality, and then find their eyes darting all over the place to catch info in different viewings. This is not good either. Don't go so Big that your always looking Up,Down, and Sideways to follow what going on.
Just a little FYI.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #5875 of 8245 Old 05-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Can't speak about bright room but in dark room it reduces the frequency of low apl scenes such that black drops down to .002 ft lamberts.

I usually calibrate with it turned off. After calibration, I turn it back on to auto.

I DO THE SAME.:)

post #5876 of 8245 Old 05-04-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:

in my room, with low APL scene it looks to me like:

BO set to off and bright room are the same
BO set to auto and dark room are the same

I assume that means I fit the 'dark room' specs, whatever those may be. but I still thought it was weird that turning it on to bright room seemed to do nothing. it maintained the noticeably higher black floor on mine.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #5877 of 8245 Old 05-05-2014, 05:22 AM

Quote:

My eyes are about 7.5feet from the screen of my 60 while I am sitting on the couch. It is pretty nice. Sometimes the kids hog the couch so I sit in front of it. The picture still looks awesome even that close!

post #5878 of 8245 Old 05-05-2014, 06:37 AM

Liked: 10
Hello everybody,
I'm excited to join you here, I'm glad I choose this tv, unfortunately I'm experiencing a strange problem, I searched for it but I didn't fount anything helpful. I have a 64 inch f8500, and it had no problems, until one time I came and saw a black horizontal line across the screen.

Here is a pic

avu2yzy9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5879 of 8245 Old 05-05-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicBoss View Post

Hello everybody,
I'm excited to join you here, I'm glad I choose this tv, unfortunately I'm experiencing a strange problem, I searched for it but I didn't fount anything helpful. I have a 64 inch f8500, and it had no problems, until one time I came and saw a black horizontal line across the screen.

Here is a pic

avu2yzy9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had that same problem on my first set. The box looked as though it had been dropped so Best Buy exchanged the set for me in home for free.

post #5880 of 8245 Old 05-05-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

Watch for the Sales - have seen the PN64F8500 drop down as low as $2900 at BB and FS - Victoria, Mother's and Father's Day coming up soon. (Just checked - Amazon.ca wants $5000 through one of their Vendors for this TV!)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page