Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 205 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6121 of 6498 Old 06-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

Haven't been posting here in awhile...

...just wanted to come back to say how much I am immensely enjoying my F8500.

By far, this is the best display I have ever owned.  The picture quality is so utterly amazing that I can be forgiving of the bugs that still exist.  After all, it's a Samsung, and it can't be perfect.

I am very happy I didn't stick with Panasonic.  The brightness level of this display along with its deep black levels continue to impress.

I am very proud to have this display in my home.

I want to echo this sentiment. This is the finest display I've ever seen. I recently watched the Star Wars Ep. IV, V, VI on Blu-ray, and had many moments throughout where it felt like I was looking through a window, rather than looking at a display.

I can't wait for the CFL season to begin! biggrin.gif
Ronald Epstein and ljmart like this.

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200, Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 6498 Old 06-02-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hate to keep bringing this up, but again today I have SportsCenter on in the background while I am working and randomly the picture just turns off and I can hear the audio keep going just fine through my receiver. I have no clue what is going on? When I go to Picture settings and then click on "Picture Off" there is no option to enable/disable it and instead it just turns the picture off instead? Any idea how I can actually adjust "Picture Off" settings instead of actually enabling this feature?
post #6123 of 6498 Old 06-02-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post

I hate to keep bringing this up, but again today I have SportsCenter on in the background while I am working and randomly the picture just turns off and I can hear the audio keep going just fine through my receiver. I have no clue what is going on? When I go to Picture settings and then click on "Picture Off" there is no option to enable/disable it and instead it just turns the picture off instead? Any idea how I can actually adjust "Picture Off" settings instead of actually enabling this feature?

Go into smart features and notifications, and make sure all the notifications are deleted. Turn off tv, unplug tv for a minute or two, and that should fix it. If not, then go into system, screen burn in protection and set auto protection time to off.
ScottFern likes this.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
post #6124 of 6498 Old 06-02-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

Go into smart features and notifications, and make sure all the notifications are deleted. Turn off tv, unplug tv for a minute or two, and that should fix it. If not, then go into system, screen burn in protection and set auto protection time to off.

I just tried all of that and still if I am watchign a blu-ray, streaming, or watching TV after 5-10 minutes the screen just turns off, but the TV remains on and the only way to get the picture back is to press power on the Samsung remote and then press it again to turn the entire TV back on.
post #6125 of 6498 Old 06-02-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just tried all of that and still if I am watchign a blu-ray, streaming, or watching TV after 5-10 minutes the screen just turns off, but the TV remains on and the only way to get the picture back is to press power on the Samsung remote and then press it again to turn the entire TV back on.

You may need to do a factory reset. Make sure you copy all your settings, as a reset will wipe them all. Basically like setting tv up for the first time.Are you running everything through one receiver? If so, that could also be your problem.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/2460#post_24101072
ScottFern likes this.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
post #6126 of 6498 Old 06-02-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:

You may need to do a factory reset. Make sure you copy all your settings, as a reset will wipe them all. Basically like setting tv up for the first time.Are you running everything through one receiver? If so, that could also be your problem.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/2460#post_24101072

I just did a factory reset through the Support menu and I am waiting to see if it turns off. How is running everything through one receiver an issue?
post #6127 of 6498 Old 06-02-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just did a factory reset through the Support menu and I am waiting to see if it turns off. How is running everything through one receiver an issue?

Some people have had issues with some receivers. Could be an issue with the receiver not sending a proper handshake to the tv, and thus tv thinks there is no signal and shuts off. Did you try changing the HDMI cable from receiver to tv? That cable could be bad. A quick way to tell what the problem is. is to connect blu ray player directly to tv. If it works fine. then you know it's the receiver.
ScottFern likes this.

post #6128 of 6498 Old 06-02-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Some people have had issues with some receivers. Could be an issue with the receiver not sending a proper handshake to the tv, and thus tv thinks there is no signal and shuts off. Did you try changing the HDMI cable from receiver to tv? That cable could be bad. A quick way to tell what the problem is. is to connect blu ray player directly to tv. If it works fine. then you know it's the receiver.

Yeah, I actually tried connecting my streaming media player to HDMI2 with a new cable and it showed the same behavior turning off after several minutes. So far after the factory reset the picture hasn't shut off. Thanks for all the help!
post #6129 of 6498 Old 06-02-2014, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Geves, I tested it tonight and it did the trick.

But now it goes into screen saver mode after 5 minutes with every source I watch (blu ray and cable) I just have to touch the track pad on the remote and it comes back, pretty annoying, I went into the menu and put everything that resembled a screen saver to off and it still does it? I love this TV but it's frustrating me! eek.gif
post #6130 of 6498 Old 06-02-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Shwailiyah View Post

Thanks Geves, I tested it tonight and it did the trick.

But now it goes into screen saver mode after 5 minutes with every source I watch (blu ray and cable) I just have to touch the track pad on the remote and it comes back, pretty annoying, I went into the menu and put everything that resembled a screen saver to off and it still does it? I love this TV but it's frustrating me! eek.gif

Did you go into System, screen burn in protection, and set auto protection time to off?

post #6131 of 6498 Old 06-03-2014, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Regarding the question of 60" vs 64" F8500, I would strongly endorse the 64". We were coming from a 60" Kuro, and when that died, we decided to go all-in and get the 64". So glad we did. It is no bigger footprint-wise than the Kuro 60" was, and in addition to the spectacular picture of the F8500, the little bit of extra screen real estate just adds to the enjoyment. If you can afford it, and you have the room, definitely go with the 64". As someone else mentioned above, if they had bigger, I'd probably even go bigger. The TV is that good (and economical on space).
post #6132 of 6498 Old 06-03-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 506
^^totally. and with this most likely being your last plasma purchase ever, go as big as you can and plan to use it longer.

it really sucks 'upgrading' a tv that still works and looks good just because you want a bigger one. but it'll be beyond frustrating if when that happens you're only option is an LCD
ljmart likes this.
post #6133 of 6498 Old 06-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

That was exactly my reasoning. I wanted a bigger TV than my PN50A550. I didn't need one right now, but I didn't want be stuck with no (affordable) choice but LCD if my 50" should fail in another year or two.

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200, Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
post #6134 of 6498 Old 06-03-2014, 07:52 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

That was exactly my reasoning. I wanted a bigger TV than my PN50A550. I didn't need one right now, but I didn't want be stuck with no (affordable) choice but LCD if my 50" should fail in another year or two.

I went from a 50B530 to a 64F8600, even if you think you don't "need" that tv right now you won't know how you did without it once you get it. My old panel was great, this one is light years beyond it. Also, due to the huge decrease in bezel thickness, the 64 takes up only about an addition 1.5" on each edge compared to what you have now.

Samsung PN64F8500
Denon AVR-790
Jamo: S 40 centre channel, S 403 front satellites, and S 40 sub
OrbAudio: Mod1X rear satellites
Popcorn Hour A-200
2x Debian NAS/Media Servers - 28TB & growing
AppleTV 2nd gen
post #6135 of 6498 Old 06-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

The other interesting thing was that the 64" F8500 is 10lbs lighter than the 50" A550 (purchased 6 years ago).

Chronic masticator.
post #6136 of 6498 Old 06-03-2014, 08:42 PM

Liked: 16
Just picked up my 64F8500 and its sitting in my LV in the box, I have a TV stand coming thursday so I can set it on and its killing me not to fire it up lol, but it sure looks pretty smile.gif
post #6137 of 6498 Old 06-04-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

I want to echo this sentiment. This is the finest display I've ever seen.
As of right now, only OLED is better...........
post #6138 of 6498 Old 06-04-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Cobra View Post

Just picked up my 64F8500 and its sitting in my LV in the box, I have a TV stand coming thursday so I can set it on and its killing me not to fire it up lol, but it sure looks pretty smile.gif

Which stand did you order?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #6139 of 6498 Old 06-04-2014, 12:38 PM

Samsung tech just left my house and replaced the mainboard with all the HDMI inputs in hopes this fixes my issue of the screen turning off randomly. Here's to hoping this fixes this weird issue.
post #6140 of 6498 Old 06-04-2014, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Hi Everyone, brand new owner of a 60 inch f8500 here. The picture is absolutely stunning. I'm really impressed with how bright it is and how deep the blacks are. Overall just a great natural, tack sharp image.

Now on to my questions and problems. The buzzing is really annoying, I expected a buzz, but am surprised how loud it gets sometimes, never was an issue with my old Panasonic plasma. If this was the only problem I think I could live with it because the picture is so good. The big problem I am having is that there is an intermittent faint white line that flickers across the lower half of the picture. It's quite noticeable and there is just no way I could enjoy watching tv like this. The strange thing is that it only happens when watching film based content. I have been able to easily reproduce it watching movies on Tv, Blu Ray and USB. When I watch digital movies like dispicaable me, the lorax, etc. it does not do it. When I watch tv I.e. News, sports, etc it does not do this. The minute I put on a movie it will start doing it. I think it's strange that it's not a permanent issue and is content based rather than source based? I found some information last night about this and I think it's called "banning" but it's seems like this was mostly an issue on lcd's but I got the impression it was always happening regardless of content.

Has anyone had a similar experience to what I have described? I'd hate to return the tv because the picture is beyond my expectations, but there is no way I could live with this problem if it's permanent and I'll return it if I have to and get a VT60 or ZT60 or any Panasonic I can find.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

I am taking an educated guess here and think the power supply in the 51" & 60" are the same, that would explain the buzzing in the 60". In the 64" a higher amp power supply would explain why there seems to be no/less buzzing. Think of the power supply as a big battery, the more power it demands the more strain on the battery, thus the harder it is for the components and panel to do it's job. The power supply in the TV converts your 120V AC outlet to DC voltage to run the TV's. I have not seen any specs on the power supplies for any of these sets, but it is my guess that they are different, this could very well be happening with the 60"

I am not a TV technician, I do have experience in electronics and power supplies.
post #6141 of 6498 Old 06-04-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Which stand did you order?

BDI 8927 in expresso-
post #6142 of 6498 Old 06-04-2014, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Hi Everyone, brand new owner of a 60 inch f8500 here. The picture is absolutely stunning. I'm really impressed with how bright it is and how deep the blacks are. Overall just a great natural, tack sharp image.

Now on to my questions and problems. The buzzing is really annoying, I expected a buzz, but am surprised how loud it gets sometimes, never was an issue with my old Panasonic plasma. If this was the only problem I think I could live with it because the picture is so good. The big problem I am having is that there is an intermittent faint white line that flickers across the lower half of the picture. It's quite noticeable and there is just no way I could enjoy watching tv like this. The strange thing is that it only happens when watching film based content. I have been able to easily reproduce it watching movies on Tv, Blu Ray and USB. When I watch digital movies like dispicaable me, the lorax, etc. it does not do it. When I watch tv I.e. News, sports, etc it does not do this. The minute I put on a movie it will start doing it. I think it's strange that it's not a permanent issue and is content based rather than source based? I found some information last night about this and I think it's called "banning" but it's seems like this was mostly an issue on lcd's but I got the impression it was always happening regardless of content.

Has anyone had a similar experience to what I have described? I'd hate to return the tv because the picture is beyond my expectations, but there is no way I could live with this problem if it's permanent and I'll return it if I have to and get a VT60 or ZT60 or any Panasonic I can find.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

I would try to see if you could just exchange it if you just got it, otherwise I would get a service call in right away, if it was just buzzing, given how subjective it is and the room it is in and such that can be hard to say, but buzzing too loud and white lines through part of the picture sounds like a broken TV to me. I have heard about sets that buzz on here but not buzz and have white lines in the picture. I had the Panni 65ZT60 but the fan noise drove me nuts and I returned it and got the Samsung and very glad I did, it is a great TV but it sounds like you got a bad one. You should be able to sit at a reasonable viewing distance and not hear anything from the TV but the audio, if you are using the internal speakers.
post #6143 of 6498 Old 06-05-2014, 11:23 AM

Hi all,

I've been researching this thread and various TVs for the last two days. The TV that I want to pick up is the 64" f5800.

However, the input lag issue concerns me. I'm looking for information from specifically a gamer who owns this set. No where in my area has this set on display for me to check out, so I'll have to order it online.

I am not a competitive player. I play mostly adventure games. To give an idea, the last few games I've played were: The Dark Souls trilogy, Super Meat Boy, GTA5, The Last of Us, Tomb Raider, and Farcry 3. I sometimes pop in COD: Black Ops for some multiplayer.

In Game Mode, is the input lag that noticeable for these games? In PC Mode, I heard the screen looks washed out, but how bad is it really? I don't have a problem playing on a less-than-par image for competitive games, but playing some of these beautiful games where a lot of attention has been put on graphics, I would like the best image possible. The TV would be used heavily for Gaming (I do Game Development, so playing games is a big deal for me).

post #6144 of 6498 Old 06-05-2014, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm not much of a gamer any more, but our adult daughter works full-time for a west coast video game company, and is an extremely avid and accomplished gamer. When she came to visit us for a couple of weeks in April (because she was coming back east to attend PAX East anyway), she brought two of her consoles and gamed a LOT on our 64F8500.

She thought that the lag was just fine in game mode. She actually did complain about it when I did not have the TV in game mode, but as soon as I switched on game mode she said it was great.

Also, no IR as far as we could tell.
post #6145 of 6498 Old 06-05-2014, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmy View Post

Hi all,

I've been researching this thread and various TVs for the last two days. The TV that I want to pick up is the 64" f5800.

However, the input lag issue concerns me. I'm looking for information from specifically a gamer who owns this set. No where in my area has this set on display for me to check out, so I'll have to order it online.

I am not a competitive player. I play mostly adventure games. To give an idea, the last few games I've played were: The Dark Souls trilogy, Super Meat Boy, GTA5, The Last of Us, Tomb Raider, and Farcry 3. I sometimes pop in COD: Black Ops for some multiplayer.

In Game Mode, is the input lag that noticeable for these games? In PC Mode, I heard the screen looks washed out, but how bad is it really? I don't have a problem playing on a less-than-par image for competitive games, but playing some of these beautiful games where a lot of attention has been put on graphics, I would like the best image possible. The TV would be used heavily for Gaming (I do Game Development, so playing games is a big deal for me).

I game pretty heavily on my 60F8500 and as long you are in Game Mode or are using the PC name trick the display lag is not intrusive. For example I can play Dark Souls 2 PvP, online Killzone Shadow Fall and Zen Pinball 2 all without issue. In addition I find the image quality to be very good in these low lag modes, maybe not stellar like a default Movie mode with all the bells & whistles turned on but far from off putting.

However I will warn you, although more resilient in this area then plasma's used to be, persistent image retention is still possible if you are not very careful. In my case I have the little "swirly" icon next to the souls counter in DrkS2 (the one to the left of "4208" below):

still visible on my set (I haven't played the game in a good 50+ hours of MRT and it is still noticeable, but barely so, in white scenes like the ice in the NHL game last night). Less noticeable is the bright parts of the orange Estus icon. I likely game more than most and view less regular content in between sessions, so I definitely think I am responsible in my case. However IMHO if you are a gamer you would be better served knowing the potential ahead of time.

For what it is worth I played KZ:SF for probably near 100 hours prior to DrkS2 and didn't have a single issue, so the conclusion I'm drawing is that the big problem is static graphics that never change over long and repeated gaming sessions. So if you are mindful about putting a good hour of normal content on the display for every hour of gaming you should be good to go. Also it's recommended to age the panel for 200 to 300 hours before doing any heavy gaming. smile.gif
post #6146 of 6498 Old 06-05-2014, 04:07 PM

Thank you both for your input.

Icelt, how long did you play DkS2? I played it and only it for about 80 to 100 hours. I did get some burn in with my Samsung C550 (almost all of the HUD left a mark), but the display was on its way out already. The burn in did fade over time, but took maybe 20 hours of Netflixing or so. 

Also, my C550 had this mode that I could turn on, where it was a white to black gradient that was repeated a few times and scrolled horizontally. It took care of any IR issues I had after being run for 10 minutes or so. Does this set have a similar feature and does it work as well?

post #6147 of 6498 Old 06-05-2014, 11:15 PM

Oh man what a picture with my new 64 I just turned on!! Did a few tweaks from all the recommendations with alot more to fiddle with hahah!! and ZERO BUZZ smile.gif

One quick question, I have all my stuff, cable box, PS3, going thru my stereo (hdmi) and then HDMI cable to the TV--everything works as planned the only thing I see is I went into the APPS and set up my Netflix account, when I go into it and stream a movie I only get the sound form my TV station it was on---I dont get any Netflix audio--I know Im missing something simple but what ?
aypues likes this.
post #6148 of 6498 Old 06-05-2014, 11:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

Oh man what a picture with my new 64 I just turned on!! Did a few tweaks from all the recommendations with alot more to fiddle with hahah!!

One quick question, I have all my stuff, cable box, PS3, going thru my stereo (hdmi) and then HDMI cable to the TV--everything works as planned the only thing I see is I went into the APPS and set up my Netflix account, when I go into it and stream a movie I only get the sound form my TV station it was on---I dont get any Netflix audio--I know Im missing something simple but what ?

You need to either enable the audio return channel using some menu settings and use HDMI 3 (provided your receiver has ARC) or connect a toslink cable between the display and your receiver.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #6149 of 6498 Old 06-05-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

You need to either enable the audio return channel using some menu settings and use HDMI 3 (provided your receiver has ARC) or connect a toslink cable between the display and your receiver.

Thanks for the quick reply, but kinda lost on what you are saying--enable thru the TV menu settings? My recv is a Denon 2310CI, not sure is has ARC
post #6150 of 6498 Old 06-06-2014, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply, but kinda lost on what you are saying--enable thru the TV menu settings? My recv is a Denon 2310CI, not sure is has ARC

Since you are using an app on the tv, you need to get the audio from the tv into your receiver if you wish you hear it. All your other devices send the audio to your receiver because you connect via HDMI to it first, which then sends the video to your tv. If your receiver does not support ARC, then you will need an optical cable from your tv back into your receiver. For ARC to work, you need to send audio via HDMI from port 3 on your tv, to the ARC HDMI input on your receiver. You would most likely have to set that up on your receiver, and then to make sure that in the tv settings it is turned on.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page