Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 208 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6211 of 9876 Old 06-10-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

Has anyone done some exact measurement of the AV delay caused by the set?
I have my cable box connected to the 64F8500 through HDMI for video and to my receiver through optical for audio
and I have noticed that if I enable the audio on the TV as well, the audio from the receiver comes earlier.
I have adjusted the AV Sync setting in the receiver as best as I can by ear to 90 ms but I am curious if
someone has done some more exhaustive investigation of the delay.
I also have my blu-ray player connected to both the TV and the receiver (twin HDMI output from BDP-103D) and some initial
tests showed less delay needed there, around 50ms.

The default delay of optical out on the tv is 70ms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 9876 Old 06-10-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

vs the video (and audio) through HDMI?
post #6213 of 9876 Old 06-10-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

vs the video (and audio) through HDMI?

When running the optical out from tv into reciever. I have my HDMI cables connected directly to tv, then optical out into my receiver. If you go into sound, then optical, it will show you the default delay.
post #6214 of 9876 Old 06-10-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When running the optical out from tv into reciever. I have my HDMI cables connected directly to tv, then optical out into my receiver. If you go into sound, then optical, it will show you the default delay.
I have optical from the TV to the receiver only for Smart TV / Web audio but
do you mean Sound->Additional Settings->Digital Audio Out->Audio Delay? It is 90 for me.
post #6215 of 9876 Old 06-10-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

Thanks - always found mine a little off. My default was 50, moved up to 70, and looks like it's dead on now.
post #6216 of 9876 Old 06-10-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have optical from the TV to the receiver only for Smart TV / Web audio but
do you mean Sound->Additional Settings->Digital Audio Out->Audio Delay? It is 90 for me.

Yes. i wonder if it varies from set to set, or once you connect optical to your receiver, it determines the audio delay.
post #6217 of 9876 Old 06-10-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes. i wonder if it varies from set to set, or once you connect optical to your receiver, it determines the audio delay.
I never adjusted it in the TV so yes, interesting to know where my 90ms there comes from.
And quite funny it should be exactly as the 90ms I adjusted by ear in the receiver for the route of sound from my cable box.
post #6218 of 9876 Old 06-10-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Oddly enough, when I switch to OTA tv, the audio delay via optical changes to 50ms instead of 70ms for my DirecTV box and OPPO player on HDMI 1 and 2.
post #6219 of 9876 Old 06-10-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 222
All my Inputs go through a Radiance XS-3D. Needed the Optical for my 1 Local Digital TV Station, and the Apps.
Another reason for calibrating the Service Menu White Balances, to try and get the Best PQ possible with the Local Station and Apps, when the Radiance holds all the AutoCaled Calibrations.
Are you saying the 50, 70, 90 setting may change between the TV Station, and various Apps?
post #6220 of 9876 Old 06-10-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

All my Inputs go through a Radiance XS-3D. Needed the Optical for my 1 Local Digital TV Station, and the Apps.
Another reason for calibrating the Service Menu White Balances, to try and get the Best PQ possible with the Local Station and Apps, when the Radiance holds all the AutoCaled Calibrations.
Are you saying the 50, 70, 90 setting may change between the TV Station, and various Apps?

At least on mine it does. All the OTA tv channels are defaulted to 50ms. All my HDMI inputs have a default of 70ms. It seems to work correctly as I have no lip sync issues going from tv to HDMI. I'm not sure about apps, as I don't use smart hub.
post #6221 of 9876 Old 06-10-2014, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Hello everyone, I was hoping I could get a few people to help me with an experiment. I have information from another poster here that the PC input trick of renaming an input to reduce the lag during gaming no longer works on newer firmware. At some point, between 1118, 1119, or 1120 Samsung changed the way that the PC trick worked and it no longer reduces the processing that occurs behind scenes that leads to the faster response times seen by the TV. He says that it is still possible to rename the input to PC, but the benefit of doing so no longer exists. I'd like to see if other people on the newer firmwares (1118, 1119, 1120) will take a few minutes out of their day and see if the PC input rename trick still works for their sets. It should be pretty obvious if the PC input trick works, as all your settings will change. The easiest way is to look at what picture settings become greyed out. If the pc trick works, you shouldn't be able to adjust much of anything other than brightness, contrast, and sharpness. 

Thank you very much to anyone who helps me figure this out. Please mention whether the trick works, and also which firmware you're running currently. 

post #6222 of 9876 Old 06-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
On my cable I notice every once (rarely)in a while the lips and voices are out of sync.Fortunately I don't notice it too often but I'm sitting a ways back from tv.It could be happening more than I think,but I try not looking for it.I do wonder how far they can compress the channels without causing too many problems,although a lot of problems are probably poor reception related.

Edit forgot too mention that the lip sync issues I see every once in a while on cable tv watching is with the tvs speakers.no external sound system hooked up here.

Last edited by Vic12345; 06-16-2014 at 09:01 PM.
post #6223 of 9876 Old 06-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345 View Post
On my cable I notice every once (rarely)in a while the lips and voices are out of sync.Fortunately I don't notice it too often but I'm sitting a ways back from tv.It could be happening more than I think,but I try not looking for it.I do wonder how far they can compress the channels without causing too many problems,although a lot of problems are probably poor reception related.

I found in the advanced cable box audio settings if I switch it from Dolby to PCM the lip-sync problems stopped.
post #6224 of 9876 Old 06-12-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone else done some testing of the audio sync?

If you have your source connected both to your display and your receiver,
it is quite easy to test it. Just enable/raise the volume of the TV speakers
and listen if it sounds as one source or multiple sources with a slight delay inbetween.
post #6225 of 9876 Old 06-13-2014, 09:26 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Oddly enough, when I switch to OTA tv, the audio delay via optical changes to 50ms instead of 70ms for my DirecTV box and OPPO player on HDMI 1 and 2.
Wxman did I understand your post correctly? You are using the TV to switch audio outputs to your receiver? E.G DirecTV, OPPO player, using the Optical Output ?

I was VERY interested in doing this when I first bought the TV and was told that the Optical output from the TV would be DD 2.1 from HDMI inputs and only DD 5.1 from the Smart Apps. So I never tried it. Are you telling me you are getting full DD 5.1 from DirecTV HDMI via the optical output of your Samsumg F8500 ?

Mark.
post #6226 of 9876 Old 06-13-2014, 09:53 AM

To continue from what I was saying here's what i'd REALLY like

DirecTV -----HDMI----------->
DVD Player ---HDMI--------> TV --------------Optical DD 5.1 -------> AV Receiver

Is this possible ?

Last edited by Colonel Badger; 06-13-2014 at 09:55 AM.
post #6227 of 9876 Old 06-13-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Badger View Post
Wxman did I understand your post correctly? You are using the TV to switch audio outputs to your receiver? E.G DirecTV, OPPO player, using the Optical Output ?

I was VERY interested in doing this when I first bought the TV and was told that the Optical output from the TV would be DD 2.1 from HDMI inputs and only DD 5.1 from the Smart Apps. So I never tried it. Are you telling me you are getting full DD 5.1 from DirecTV HDMI via the optical output of your Samsumg F8500 ?

Mark.
I can choose PCM and DTSNeo 2.5 on tv when using optical out with my satellite box and blu ray player. OTA tv, I can select PCM, DTS Neo 2.5, and Dolby Digital with the optical cable. I also only have a 2.1 system.
post #6228 of 9876 Old 06-13-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Badger View Post
To continue from what I was saying here's what i'd REALLY like

DirecTV -----HDMI----------->
DVD Player ---HDMI--------> TV --------------Optical DD 5.1 -------> AV Receiver

Is this possible ?
Yes Sir. That's How mine is.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #6229 of 9876 Old 06-14-2014, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Question TV Guide Data Sources

Does anyone know how the two TV guides built into the F8500 get their data?

The reason I ask is that the guide that pops on when you press the "Guide" button on the old-fashioned remote has stopped working for us. It used to work great, had all the info, etc. For the last couple of weeks, it's said "No Information" for all channels.

However, we discovered that when we press the colored button in the middle of the remote to bring up the hub, then navigate down to the bottom of the screen where it says "Guide", and press Enter, that guide works and has all the information. We don't like this guide, though, because it always starts at channel 1, not channel that we're watching (always in the 700's); and it is glitchy, freezing and popping back to channel 1 a lot.

Why would one guide work and not the other?

I'd like to figure out whether to blame Comcast or Samsung.

If they get their data from different sources (e.g. the hub gets it from some Internet service, and the guide that pops up directly from the remote gets it from Comcast), then I can blame Comcast and begin working on that end of it. If they get the data from the same source, then I can blame Samsung and try a factory reset (and have to put all my settings in again).

FYI, the cable connection to the TV is through a Samsung cable box with a cable card inside, the internet connection is wired to our router.

Last edited by shadowspawn; 06-14-2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Wrong font size
post #6230 of 9876 Old 06-14-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Samsung usually gets the guide data (built in) from TV Guide. You may want to re-enter your location and then see if it syncs again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6231 of 9876 Old 06-14-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Samsung usually gets the guide data (built in) from TV Guide. You may want to re-enter your location and then see if it syncs again.

The first thing I tried was going into setup and re-entering the location.So if they get it all from TV Guide, not Comcast, it must be a problem with the TV if one guide (the one integrated with the hub) works, and the other (directly accessible from the remote control) does not?
post #6232 of 9876 Old 06-14-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 622
You can call Samsung (that's what I would do) and they should be able to help you troubleshoot the issue. I used to have intermittent issues with the guide on my old Samsung DLPp

post #6233 of 9876 Old 06-14-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
Does anyone know how the two TV guides built into the F8500 get their data?

The reason I ask is that the guide that pops on when you press the "Guide" button on the old-fashioned remote has stopped working for us. It used to work great, had all the info, etc. For the last couple of weeks, it's said "No Information" for all channels.

However, we discovered that when we press the colored button in the middle of the remote to bring up the hub, then navigate down to the bottom of the screen where it says "Guide", and press Enter, that guide works and has all the information. We don't like this guide, though, because it always starts at channel 1, not channel that we're watching (always in the 700's); and it is glitchy, freezing and popping back to channel 1 a lot.

Why would one guide work and not the other?

I'd like to figure out whether to blame Comcast or Samsung.

If they get their data from different sources (e.g. the hub gets it from some Internet service, and the guide that pops up directly from the remote gets it from Comcast), then I can blame Comcast and begin working on that end of it. If they get the data from the same source, then I can blame Samsung and try a factory reset (and have to put all my settings in again).

FYI, the cable connection to the TV is through a Samsung cable box with a cable card inside, the internet connection is wired to our router.
I may be wrong, but I believe one guide uses the internet, and other guide is actually from the cable box. That is why when you hit the broken button before, it was not accessing the internet, but the box, and that is why the guide would start with the channel you were on, and not channel 1. That button was just commanding the cable box to show it's guide. So if that one has stopped working, then it's probably the cable box acting up. Do you have the cable box remote? Try accessing the guide with that remote. See if it displays the guide.
post #6234 of 9876 Old 06-14-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I believe one guide uses the internet, and other guide is actually from the cable box. That is why when you hit the broken button before, it was not accessing the internet, but the box, and that is why the guide would start with the channel you were on, and not channel 1. That button was just commanding the cable box to show it's guide. So if that one has stopped working, then it's probably the cable box acting up. Do you have the cable box remote? Try accessing the guide with that remote. See if it displays the guide.

OK, guys, thank you very much. Your helpful comments made some light bulbs turn on, and I realized that I have been COMPLETELY misunderstanding something since we got the F8500 months ago. Now some things are much more clear (although there is a NEW mystery...).

I've always wondered why the TV had two different guides that behave a little bit differently -- one accesible through the Smart Hub, and one accessible via the Guide button. That seemed strange. The answer is that there is (I think) only one. wxman got it right.

FYI, my setup is more complicated than you might have expected. We have a Comcast high definition DTA that feeds into our own DVR; this is because our DVR can burn recorded material onto a DVD, which Comcast's cannot.

The connections are Comcast DTA ==> DVR ==> HDMI 1. HDMI 1 is the "STB" connection, so when the source is set to HDMI 1, the Samsung remote controls the Comcast DTA though that little wired IR repeater.

Then there is a Samsung cable box, with a Comcast cable card. That is plugged into HDMI 4, and is what we use for most of our cable viewing. The two devices have a "Samsung Smart System" (can't remember what it's called; Anynet?) CEC relationship, so the TV remote controls the Samsung cable box via the HDMI CEC connection. This all works quite well.

So, when I was on HDMI 4, the Guide button on the TV remote was flippng the Samsung box into Guide mode. THAT is what was screwed up. Since the navigation features and display on the Samsung cable box is almost (but not quite) identical to the F8500 guide, I thought I was seeing another way to access the F8500 guide.

Fooled me good.

I unplugged the Samsung box for a few minutes, and now when it press Guide, it says "System is collecting information".

So, thank you guys. I know where the fault is, and if it doesn't fix itself, the next call is to Comcast (the cable card may need a reset or something).

Now the NEW mystery. When the F8500 is on HDMI 1 (Comcast STB via DVR) instead of HDMI 4, and I press Guide on the remote, the Smart Hub guide pops right up. It's definitely the Smart Hub, not the Comcast guide, because it has the Samsung navigation (A and C buttons).

That's actually good, but I wonder how the TV knows to do that?

Last edited by shadowspawn; 06-14-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: bad cut and pste
post #6235 of 9876 Old 06-14-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
Quote:

OK, guys, thank you very much. Your helpful comments made some light bulbs turn on, and I realized that I have been COMPLETELY misunderstanding something since we got the F8500 months ago. Now some things are much more clear (although there is a NEW mystery...).

I've always wondered why the TV had two different guides that behave a little bit differently -- one accesible through the Smart Hub, and one accessible via the Guide button. That seemed strange. The answer is that there is (I think) only one. wxman got it right.

FYI, my setup is more complicated than you might have expected. We have a Comcast high definition DTA that feeds into our own DVR; this is because our DVR can burn recorded material onto a DVD, which Comcast's cannot.

The connections are Comcast DTA ==> DVR ==> HDMI 1. HDMI 1 is the "STB" connection, so when the source is set to HDMI 1, the Samsung remote controls the Comcast DTA though that little wired IR repeater.

Then there is a Samsung cable box, with a Comcast cable card. That is plugged into HDMI 4, and is what we use for most of our cable viewing. The two devices have a "Samsung Smart System" (can't remember what it's called; Anynet?) CEC relationship, so the TV remote controls the Samsung cable box via the HDMI CEC connection. This all works quite well.

So, when I was on HDMI 4, the Guide button on the TV remote was flippng the Samsung box into Guide mode. THAT is what was screwed up. Since the navigation features and display on the Samsung cable box is almost (but not quite) identical to the F8500 guide, I thought I was seeing another way to access the F8500 guide.

Fooled me good.

I unplugged the Samsung box for a few minutes, and now when it press Guide, it says "System is collecting information".

So, thank you guys. I know where the fault is, and if it doesn't fix itself, the next call is to Comcast (the cable card may need a reset or something).

Now the NEW mystery. When the F8500 is on HDMI 1 (Comcast STB via DVR) instead of HDMI 4, and I press Guide on the remote, the Smart Hub guide pops right up. It's definitely the Smart Hub, not the Comcast guide, because it has the Samsung navigation (A and C buttons).

That's actually good, but I wonder how the TV knows to do that?
HDMI 1 is used to link the cable box to Smart Hub during set up when you tell the tv who is your provider, zip code, etc. Thus the guide button on the remote will access the guide from Smart Hub.
KONICA TECH likes this.
post #6236 of 9876 Old 06-15-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post
Has anyone else done some testing of the audio sync?
This test would really not test the TV, it will test the system and the many different components a person has. There are so many variables here that this would tell us nothing about the TV in general.......
post #6237 of 9876 Old 06-16-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRINI View Post
Hello All,

Happy 64" owner for the last year. starting last week though a strange issue has arose and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it. When I power up my theater system the TV response but there is no picture (screen stays completely black). If I press any button on the remote I can see the little red LED flicker on the bottom left hand side of the screen but no other response. I'm sure its not a source issue because even the smart hub wont display. If I pull the power plug and wait a few seconds and then it will start as it should every time.

Anyone else ever experience this? If not anyone have a good Samsung support number to call?

Thanks,

Pete

FYI - I did a factory reset on 6/12 and it hasn't done it since.

PN64F8500 PLASMA

BD-F7500 BLU-RAY

RX-V673 AVR

Comcast X1 STB

Harmony One Remote

Saving my pennies for decent speakers...
post #6238 of 9876 Old 06-16-2014, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anyone comment on the picture quality and black levels before and after a professional calibration? I am considering getting one in the next 2 months.
post #6239 of 9876 Old 06-17-2014, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My buddy just pulled the trigger on the 64" Samsung plasma. Since I will be setting it up with a calibration disc (DVE or WOW), I was wondering what settings in the Samsung do I need to turn off? I am a Panasonic plasma owner myself (65VT30) so I know what to turn off with regards to Panasonic settings to get the best picture quality. Should I calibrate in "Movie mode" or one of the others? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers from the Great White North.
My gear: ANTHEM AVM50v, STATEMENT A5 - ARCAM DV139, CD17 - PANASONIC 65VT30 (THX Calibrated) - SONY BDP-S5000ES - PANAMAX 5500EX - M&K V1250THX sub - TANNOY EYRIS DC3, DCC, DC1 - AUDIOQUEST Cables - SHUNYATA RESEARCH Power cords - HARMONY One - PRIMACOUSTIC Recoil Stabilizers
post #6240 of 9876 Old 06-17-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybk View Post
My buddy just pulled the trigger on the 64" Samsung plasma. Since I will be setting it up with a calibration disc (DVE or WOW), I was wondering what settings in the Samsung do I need to turn off? I am a Panasonic plasma owner myself (65VT30) so I know what to turn off with regards to Panasonic settings to get the best picture quality. Should I calibrate in "Movie mode" or one of the others? Any help would be appreciated.
From what little I know about calibration, i started with this link and made some tweaks from there. I know you shouldnt rely on someone else's calibration but it made mine look great. However, i found that warm 1 provided better whites. I have the S&M2 disc but havent got around to make any further changes yet.

http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/c...pn60f8500.html

AVR: Pioneer SC-67 (5.2 set-up)
Display: Samsung PN60F8500
LCR: Def Tech Mythos 2, 8, 2
Subs: 2 x SVS SB-2000
Blu Ray: Oppo 103D
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page