Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 212 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6331 of 9017 Old 07-02-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 626
FWIW, I plan to run my break-in video for 250 hours after I get my 64" F8500 tomorrow.

Last edited by Stereodude; 07-02-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6332 of 9017 Old 07-02-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby244 View Post
Guys I bought the 64 inch F8500 tonight and all I can say is WOW. I didn't know anything different from my 5 year old panasonic plasma and the difference with this set is immediately noticeable. In terms of buzzing noise I hear a light buzzing sound with the audio muted, but it doesn't sound much different from what I used to hear with my old 50 inch panasonic. With the sound on I don't hear anything. I asked the guy at the store who told me he'd be selling Tv's for the last 10 years and he told me he hasn't had anyone return a set due to excessive buzzing, so maybe elevation does have something to do with it? I have no idea but so far I am loving this set and I've only watched for a couple hours.

Now for my question. Can someone point me towards a thread that will explain how to break the TV in? I believe I download slides and run them for X hours? How many hours should I run the break in slides?

In terms of settings I've got it on standard right now with no changes, I'll hunt through this massive thread for any settings suggestions. If there are any threads out there with good setting suggestions specifically for sports I'd really appreciate it.

Congrats on your new purchase. For break in slides unless you're planning to have your set professionally calibrated there is no real "need" to use them. The slides are used to evenly age the phosphors during the first few hundred hours so that once calibration is done the set has "settled" and then phosphors have aged "evenly". If you don't plan on calibration then you can watch a good mix of regular content at a little Lowe contrast for the first few hundred hours while the set "settles". One thing to note there are hundreds of thousands of people that do nothing but turn the TV on and watch with no ill effects.

For settings it's best to use a settings disk such as Disney WoW or HD Basics. If you want to try others settings go in knowing that they may not work for your TV as set variation can make one sets settings make another set look horrible. Having said that there is a main settings thread for the F8500 where users post their setting a for you to try and tweak to your liking.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
KONICA TECH likes this.
post #6333 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have had my 64" a few weeks and now Im noticing Audio dropouts--What I mean is Im watching TV and normal volume (most any channel) and then it just drops in volume about half, then a second or 2 it comes back normal?? What could that be, I have all inputs going into my Denon Rcvr and one out to the TV---

Im beginning to think its my cable box now, just tonight it has locked up twice and done weird crap!!!

Last edited by 03Cobra; 07-03-2014 at 01:39 AM.
post #6334 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Of it only happens with your cable box and no other source most likely it's your cable box ;(

post #6335 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Congrats on your new purchase. For break in slides unless you're planning to have your set professionally calibrated there is no real "need" to use them. The slides are used to evenly age the phosphors during the first few hundred hours so that once calibration is done the set has "settled" and then phosphors have aged "evenly". If you don't plan on calibration then you can watch a good mix of regular content at a little Lowe contrast for the first few hundred hours while the set "settles". One thing to note there are hundreds of thousands of people that do nothing but turn the TV on and watch with no ill effects.

For settings it's best to use a settings disk such as Disney WoW or HD Basics. If you want to try others settings go in knowing that they may not work for your TV as set variation can make one sets settings make another set look horrible. Having said that there is a main settings thread for the F8500 where users post their setting a for you to try and tweak to your liking.

Thanks for the info
post #6336 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
FWIW, I plan to run my break-in video for 250 hours after I get my 64" F8500 tomorrow.
Thanks for the video, I'm finding this easier to use then figuring out the older break in slides post. I've got your video going on a loop in VLC through my laptop with the laptop hooked up to the TV through HDMI. Started the video this morning and seems to be working well
post #6337 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks for the video, I'm finding this easier to use then figuring out the older break in slides post. I've got your video going on a loop in VLC through my laptop with the laptop hooked up to the TV through HDMI. Started the video this morning and seems to be working well
I received my TV this morning and decided to try out my own pixel aging video. I put the file on a USB stick and plugged it into the back of the set and let the TV play it back directly. I quickly found out that the lack of an audio track made the Samsung unhappy every time you picked the track or it would loop back to the beginning (it's on repeat 1). It would not start playback and instead would sit with a message on the screen waiting for you to pick OK or STOP. I made some new clips and added .mkv's with a silent "dummy" 1 second mp3 audio track to the thread. This resolves the Samsung's unhappiness when playing it back directly.
post #6338 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I received my TV this morning and decided to try out my own pixel aging video. I put the file on a USB stick and plugged it into the back of the set and let the TV play it back directly. I quickly found out that the lack of an audio track made the Samsung unhappy every time you picked the track or it would loop back to the beginning (it's on repeat 1). It would not start playback and instead would sit with a message on the screen waiting for you to pick OK or STOP. I made some new clips and added .mkv's with a silent "dummy" 1 second mp3 audio track to the thread. This resolves the Samsung's unhappiness when playing it back directly.
So is your video doing the same thing that the slides would do but just going through more shades of colors? The video with no audio seems to play fine in VLC on the loop. I am pretty new to all of this, I remember doing this for my panasonic plasma 5 years ago but that seems like ages ago.
post #6339 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So is your video doing the same thing that the slides would do but just going through more shades of colors?
Yeah, basically.

Quote:
The video with no audio seems to play fine in VLC on the loop.
This is my first "Smart" TV or CE device capable of USB video playback. I've always just used a PC to feed video files to my other TVs for watching. So, I was fairly surprised when the TV complained about the "unsupported audio track" in the files.
post #6340 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Pardon my ignorance, but what's the theory behind 200+ hours of flashing colors on this TV, and is it necessary?

Also, do these things really run that hot? If it does, is that per design, or is this something that ends up affecting the life expectancy of these TVs?

I'm trying to determine if this would be a good replacement for my 55XBR8, but I don't want to have to bother with a lot of steps, before I can use the TV.
post #6341 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what's the theory behind 200+ hours of flashing colors on this TV, and is it necessary?

Also, do these things really run that hot? If it does, is that per design, or is this something that ends up affecting the life expectancy of these TVs?

I'm trying to determine if this would be a good replacement for my 55XBR8, but I don't want to have to bother with a lot of steps, before I can use the TV.
The theory behind running slides for 200 hours is to age phosphors equally before calibration. If you do not wish to calibrate, you don't need to do that. I did not do that, but after 300 hours, had my tv professionally calibrated anyways.

Yes, plasmas run hot. Some manufacturers use fans, other use heat sinks to reduce heat. Samsung uses heat sinks. I added a fan to the back of my F8500 just to keep it running cooler. Heat, next to power surges, are the greatest enemies of any device and will shorten the lifespan.

Don't let that scare you. I still have my Pioneer 5020 and it is going strong after 6 years. I would expect my Samsung to last just as long.
post #6342 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

The point of the slides is to evenly wear the phosphors to prep the set for calibration. The more evenly worn the better and more consistent the calibration can be. Also these first few hundred hours are where the phosphors "change"(shift) the most. If you don't plan on pro or meter calibration then there is no "need" to run slides. People here go through extra steps for peace of mind and to prep for calibration. You'll have hundreds of thousands of people who don't do anything.

All plasmas generate heat, it's the nature of the technology. Has no effect on LE unless it is malfunctioning.

post #6343 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 689
The slides are ran to break in a plasma TV to age the phosphorus on the screen . Some people believe in break in and some do not, like myself .

These units run a little hotter than a LED but nothing that will cause harm to the unit.

You can plug it in and use it, you will be fine. This is a great unit overall, and for the price the best choice. The XBR-65X950B FALD LED is over double to cost of this Samsung 64" .
post #6344 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Regarding the higher heat, would there be any concerns with wall mounting this unit, if all the heat is directed out of the back of the unit? I should say more specifically with mounting it on a stand with a wood back like the JSP Jazzy model?
post #6345 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

People mount plasmas all the time. You just want to be sure to have clearance behind above and below the TV for ventilation

post #6346 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Hi guys,

Long time since I've been on this forum (since my last panasonic plasma was bought 5 years ago, has been a terrific TV) and I'm now in the market for a new plasma as I've finished my basement. In the process of building my ultimate "man cave" and am a huge sports fan. I want to stick with plasma based on everything I've read regarding LED's and watching sports. I'm still in the process of hunting around seeing if I can find any panasonic plasmas that are left out there but I'm not having any luck which leads me to the 8500. A couple of quick questions:

1) I've read about the buzzing of these sets, and that the 60 inch models (I'm thinking of going with a 64 inch) are apparently the worst for this, has this improved at all as the manufacturer continues to build them? I feel like buzzing from the TV would drive me insane, but not sure the trade off to LED to get no buzzing is worth it

2) What are the main differences between the F5500 and the F8500 models? I don't care about smart TV or any of those features, my main concerns are picture quality for sports and the buzzing

Any opinions or comments are much appreciated, thanks
I bought a 51 inch 8500 in Feb. and I hear nothing. My two previous plasmas were a Panny 700 in 2007 and a Panny G25 in 2010 and I did hear a very slight buzz with them but I would not worry about buzzing in making your decision. IMO.

Last edited by chupra; 07-03-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: spelling
post #6347 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 01:03 PM

Has anyone ever had their set turn off by itself? I've had mine for 4 months now and it's happened twice. I turn it back on and all looks OK when I do.
post #6348 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupra View Post
Has anyone ever had their set turn off by itself? I've had mine for 4 months now and it's happened twice. I turn it back on and all looks OK when I do.
Do you have auto protection turned on? Under System, Screen Burn Protection. I have mine set to off. You only need it if you plan to have a static image display for a long time.
post #6349 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Do you have auto protection turned on? Under System, Screen Burn Protection. I have mine set to off. You only need it if you plan to have a static image display for a long time.
Thanks. But I have auto protection turned off. Both times it shut off was while I was watching a Blu Ray movie.
post #6350 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Thanks. But I have auto protection turned off. Both times it shut off was while I was watching a Blu Ray movie.
Dont have this particular TV, but on my Panasonic if after so long there are no inputs from the remote the TV will auto shutoff.
post #6351 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Is it necessary? Probably not. Will it hurt? No. My idea behind it is to age the pixels evenly at the very start of their life when they're most sensitive to luminance decay. Then again, the phosphors in a plasma may not have the initial luminance decay like the phosphors in CCFL lamps or other things I've had first hand experience with.

Quote:
I felt the back of my panel which has been on for over 12 hours straight running the "break-in" video to find the hottest spot and then measured it with a IR thermometer and it was like 103F. The panel is on its stand out in the open in a room that's about 68F.
post #6352 of 9017 Old 07-03-2014, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Is it necessary? Probably not. Will it hurt? No. My idea behind it is to age the pixels evenly at the very start of their life when they're most sensitive to luminance decay. Then again, the phosphors in a plasma may not have the initial luminance decay like the phosphors in CCFL lamps or other things I've had first hand experience with.

I felt the back of my panel which has been on for over 12 hours straight running the "break-in" video to find the hottest spot and then measured it with a IR thermometer and it was like 103F. The panel is on its stand out in the open in a room that's about 68F.
Attach the fan above the vents over the hot spot. Temp max is usually 84F.
post #6353 of 9017 Old 07-04-2014, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
I used 2 of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the temps in C dropped from 48 C to 35 C so the difference is very significant.

As we all know heat will kill electronics. So my motto is keep it COOL
wxman likes this.
post #6354 of 9017 Old 07-04-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Heh, my point was more that 102F wasn't "hot", not that it was too hot.
post #6355 of 9017 Old 07-04-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Most of my electronics at one point or another have done this.
post #6356 of 9017 Old 07-04-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Does your bluray also shut down? I would read both manuals and look under trouble shooting...
post #6357 of 9017 Old 07-04-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool Bluray player

Just received my 60F8500 last week.The bluray player I have is going upstairs and any suggestions on what I should buy as I only use it about 2-3 a month? Would like a OPPO but I do not use it enough. THANKS
post #6358 of 9017 Old 07-04-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLINH View Post
Just received my 60F8500 last week.The bluray player I have is going upstairs and any suggestions on what I should buy as I only use it about 2-3 a month? Would like a OPPO but I do not use it enough. THANKS
Since the majority of blu ray players out there play blu rays equally well, there are plenty of name brands on Amazon for less than $100, including 3D players. Samsung has several under $100.
post #6359 of 9017 Old 07-05-2014, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I put the file on a USB stick and plugged it into the back of the set and let the TV play it back directly.
Admitting my stupidity: I can't see a way to get the USB drive content to display full screen.

Please help.
post #6360 of 9017 Old 07-05-2014, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First time plasma tv owner. Received my 64F8500 yesterday. Am overall very impressed with image quality: blacks are the blackest I've ever seen and colors and detail are also amazing. Also have not had any issue with buzzing.

One thing I am concerned about is a slight amount of uneven lighting on the left side of the screen. I noticed this on the very first blu ray I watched. It is only apparent on very light images. Especially images of the daytime sky.

Have attached a screenshot. Screen is slightly darker from the left edge to past the pause icon. It is more noticeable than the screen shot would indicate. Especially noticeable when the image is being panned from one side to the other.

Is this a common issue with plasmas? Will it likely improve after the set is broken in?

Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plasma TV.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	149394  

Last edited by Ahab; 07-05-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page