Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 215 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6421 of 9962 Old 07-07-2014, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
You probably have the "Apply Picture Mode" setting for "All Sources" instead of the "Current Source"...
aha, probably!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6422 of 9962 Old 07-07-2014, 09:42 PM

okay i tried changing to current source, but that didn't work -- any time i change dark optimizer it changes it across all settings for some reason.
post #6423 of 9962 Old 07-07-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 219
^ yeah, sorry about that. I'm not so sure this was an "all of a sudden" issue....seems like this might have been around for some time now.
post #6424 of 9962 Old 07-07-2014, 10:02 PM

in fact, if i change digital clear view / mpeg whatever, motion judder and dark optimizer in one picture setting, it changes them across them all.

is this a known bug that everyone has?
post #6425 of 9962 Old 07-07-2014, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by stile View Post
in fact, if i change digital clear view / mpeg whatever, motion judder and dark optimizer in one picture setting, it changes them across them all.

is this a known bug that everyone has?
I got my F8500 in January, and it has done that since I got it.
post #6426 of 9962 Old 07-07-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I got my F8500 in January, and it has done that since I got it.
well that certainly is frustrating. i wanted to have separate dark optimizer settings for each picture mode. i assume this is a bug then?
post #6427 of 9962 Old 07-07-2014, 10:13 PM

i enabled cal-day/cal-night from the service menu.. is that what caused this to happen?
post #6428 of 9962 Old 07-07-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
I haven't noticed much change on that front. mine seems to hover around 40C whether eco is on or off.

but, and I'm not sure about this yet, it MAY make ABL behaviour less obvious. seeing 'abl kick in' is like a unicorn to me, I've never seen it. I've ever asked for ways to make it obvious, and it's just not visible to me. one thing that I did notice, is that bright screens, like this webpage, have no change in brightness between eco on low, and off. none at all. a dark scene, gets obviously darker when I turn eco to low. what I'm wondering, is if the eco setting on low is kind of like the abl kicked in permanently.

somebody said that if I load up a dark image on my desktop, and then open a bright white window, I should be able to see abl affecting the desktop image as I drag the white window on and off screen. I tried this, and don't notice any change at all. the window never gets brighter/dimmer, and the dark image behind it doesn't either.

now again, I'm never seen abl in the first place, so I have no idea if this is actually a reduction in abl. it just seems curious to me, as eco set to low seems to decrease the brightness of dark scenes while maintaining the brightness of the bright scenes. in my mind that has to be a reduction in abl.
This is the reason why I don't use eco mode (I have a 60F5300). On low it doesn't dim full white screens at all (like web pages) which is blinding in the dark, and also causes the set to buzz louder. Instead, I turned off eco, set cell light to 20 and lowered contrast to 80. This brings the brightness of whites down to an even level in all scenes, yet is still plenty bright even in a dark room.

Cell light works the same way. With contrast set at 95 you need to bring it down to about 7 or 8 before it even starts dimming full white screens, which then makes mixed content scenes in video look too dim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post
For those looking for ABL (if you don't already notice it, I can't imagine why you'd want to look for it) True Blood is a good place to find it (if you can stomach the show). I notice it at least once an episode. It's most noticeable in shot transitions from very dark to less dark. Specifically in blacks. It'll take a 10th of a second after the transition, but the black level will jump up across the picture. My previous D7000 series did the same thing most noticeably with that particular show.
This isn't ABL, it's due to having "dark room" black optimizer turned on. True Blood has a lot of low light scenes. At a certain brightness threshold black level will float when it's trying to decide whether to get darker or not. There is a half second delay and you will see this if you look closely. It also affects end credits of a movie when you go from a bright scene straight to a full black scene, you can see the blacks adjust to a lower level. I wish that Samsung could improve the speed and detection of this. AFAIK Panasonic plasmas don't have this problem. If you turn black optimizer off you won't get floating blacks, but dark scenes won't have as much contrast. It's a trade off. I choose to leave it on.

Last edited by StinDaWg; 07-07-2014 at 10:34 PM.
post #6429 of 9962 Old 07-07-2014, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
i enabled cal-day/cal-night from the service menu.. is that what caused this to happen?

No. I don't have those modes activated, and still have the issue you've explained. I've owned my 8500 since April/2013, and I can't remember if this issue was present in the earlier versions of 8500 firmware. You may want to contact Samsung support to see what they say...
post #6430 of 9962 Old 07-07-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
well that certainly is frustrating. i wanted to have separate dark optimizer settings for each picture mode. i assume this is a bug then?
I don't think it is a bug, but designed that way.
post #6431 of 9962 Old 07-07-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I don't think it is a bug, but designed that way.
yikes... why? for day modes i wanted to have the dark optimizer set to off or auto, and for movie/night modes i want it set to dark room... why would it be designed that way, i don't really see the point.
post #6432 of 9962 Old 07-07-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
yikes... why? for day modes i wanted to have the dark optimizer set to off or auto, and for movie/night modes i want it set to dark room... why would it be designed that way, i don't really see the point.
I agree it's not very good. It may be by design, but poorly designed.
post #6433 of 9962 Old 07-08-2014, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
Quote:
the BO is a 'universal' setting. I'm not sure if there are others as well or not.

the only way around it that I'm aware of is if you have one of your inputs labelled PC, in which case the BO is disabled on that input. I'm not sure if game mode also allows for its own setting or not.

I've never really had a reason to turn BO off. if you want to have it set to dark room for watching movies, and bright room for watching tv, I would suggest you just set it to auto. that seems to make it work exactly like dark room if the lights are off, and bright room if the lights are on. there are only 3 'modes', off, bright room, and dark room. auto is nothing different, it simply switches between those modes based on ambient lighting(well it switches between dark room and bright room anyway. I doubt it automatically turns off)

I'm not sure it's technically a bug, as much as a software decision some ppl disagree with. kind of like how the eco setting is applied universally, and not per input. I just don't think it's a feature that's supposed to be different per source. I think it's designed to be calibrated to the room the tv is in. if it's always dark, you set it to dark room. if it's always bright, you set it to bright room. if it's sometimes both, you set it to auto. it's not about what you're watching, it's where you're watching it. so you shouldn't (technically) have a different setting for tv shows and movies. you have a setting for watching with the lights on and off. which would be setting it to auto.
KONICA TECH likes this.

Last edited by fierce_gt; 07-08-2014 at 01:10 AM.
post #6434 of 9962 Old 07-08-2014, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
This is the reason why I don't use eco mode (I have a 60F5300). On low it doesn't dim full white screens at all (like web pages) which is blinding in the dark, and also causes the set to buzz louder. Instead, I turned off eco, set cell light to 20 and lowered contrast to 80. This brings the brightness of whites down to an even level in all scenes, yet is still plenty bright even in a dark room.

Cell light works the same way. With contrast set at 95 you need to bring it down to about 7 or 8 before it even starts dimming full white screens, which then makes mixed content scenes in video look too dim.
yeah I've heard you're supposed to use contrast to adjust the peak brightness on plasma. but in practice, that seemed to be the easiest way to ruin the picture on the f8500. lowering the contrast f'd with the greyscale, made the image look flat(very little contrast), and still didn't seem to really fix the issue of 'average' content looking too bright.

I thought cell light worked the same way as backlight, and was the correct way to adjust panel brightness. but found out it's really just a way of adjusting ABL, not panel brightness.

and now I'm seeing that eco mode has it's own issues too.

there just doesn't seem to be a way to adjust panel brightness. every setting either affects the top end, or the bottom end more. ie, turning on eco doesn't dim the peak brightness at all, it just dims the low/medium APL scenes. lowering contrast, for some reason, seems to dim the high APL stuff, but not the low APL scenes, resulting in a terrible contrast ratio.

maybe the solution is just a lot more difficult than I want it to be. lower the contrast, and then adjust the gamma, and greyscale to compensate for the side effects of that lower contrast. pretty annoying if you ask me. maybe i'll continue experimenting, but I'm pretty content with eco on low right now. and I never saw a problem with using a cell light of 10 either. I only changed that because I read it was 'wrong', haha
post #6435 of 9962 Old 07-08-2014, 04:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
....snip...

I thought cell light worked the same way as backlight, and was the correct way to adjust panel brightness. but found out it's really just a way of adjusting ABL, not panel brightness.

...snip...
Interesting.....please elaborate.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #6436 of 9962 Old 07-08-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg93 View Post
Straight up... I'm thinking about getting one of these 64" 8500's to replace my 50" kuro elite pro 101fd. Will it be a worthy upgrade, or will the PQ just end up disappointing me?

My elite has been calibrated and is by far the best tv I've ever seen. I want to upgrade for the bigger real estate, and brighter daytime/3d blu ray experience.

I am extremely picky when it comes to PQ, and am hoping some 101/kpr500 owners that own both can chime in.

Thank you.

I have a calibrated and D-Nice "tweaked" 500M and a 64" F8500, which hasn't been professionally calibrated yet. The F8500 is noticeably better with bright-room viewing. The additional light output and better screen coating help here. For reference viewing in the dark, there is no comparison. The 500M absolutely trounces the Samsung, especially during darker material. The weaker - and floating - blacks of the Samsung don't make for a super-impressive experience in a dark room, though it's still very good. The Pioneer's picture has much more depth and better natural detail in these conditions. I look forward to having the Samsung calibrated, but it's not going to help out the contrast ratio any.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #6437 of 9962 Old 07-08-2014, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
i'm using your calibration settings for my TV from the settings thread.. they look great, thanks
That's always great to hear. Happy to help!
post #6438 of 9962 Old 07-08-2014, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello, I just bought a PN51F8500.

I'm trying to run some 1920x1080 break in slides with a flash drive, but I'm noticing there are 4 rows of pixels at the top that aren't used even with zoom in, or by the tv's menu itself. The option under the picture menu to change the picture position/alignment is greyed out. Is there a way to change the vertical alignment?
post #6439 of 9962 Old 07-08-2014, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anyone use the WoW bluray to setup their TV? I went through and did the beginners setup and for the life of me cannot get the contrast test to work properly. On the contrast test you're supposed to get the right hand of the screen to show one bar as "greyish" and the two far right bars to blend together as white. I get all three bars on the right as white and can't get the inside one to go grey no matter what settings I use. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what settings I would even change but I've fooled around with contrast, cell lighting and all the darkness settings to try and get it to show up with no luck.

Also any side effects to making the motion judder setting as smooth? To me some TV shows look better using the smooth setting versus standard but just curious if there's a downside.
post #6440 of 9962 Old 07-08-2014, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodrin View Post
Hello, I just bought a PN51F8500.

I'm trying to run some 1920x1080 break in slides with a flash drive, but I'm noticing there are 4 rows of pixels at the top that aren't used even with zoom in, or by the tv's menu itself. The option under the picture menu to change the picture position/alignment is greyed out. Is there a way to change the vertical alignment?
nm, figured out it was pixel orbiter
post #6441 of 9962 Old 07-08-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby244 View Post
Anyone use the WoW bluray to setup their TV? I went through and did the beginners setup and for the life of me cannot get the contrast test to work properly. On the contrast test you're supposed to get the right hand of the screen to show one bar as "greyish" and the two far right bars to blend together as white. I get all three bars on the right as white and can't get the inside one to go grey no matter what settings I use. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what settings I would even change but I've fooled around with contrast, cell lighting and all the darkness settings to try and get it to show up with no luck.

Also any side effects to making the motion judder setting as smooth? To me some TV shows look better using the smooth setting versus standard but just curious if there's a downside.
What mode are you trying to calibrate? Movie, standard, etc? WOW is not considered a good disc for calibrating contrast. The only side effect of using MJC is the soap opera effect. Some like it, some don't. That setting is mainly personal preference.
post #6442 of 9962 Old 07-08-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird8450 View Post
I have a calibrated and D-Nice "tweaked" 500M and a 64" F8500, which hasn't been professionally calibrated yet. The F8500 is noticeably better with bright-room viewing. The additional light output and better screen coating help here. For reference viewing in the dark, there is no comparison. The 500M absolutely trounces the Samsung, especially during darker material. The weaker - and floating - blacks of the Samsung don't make for a super-impressive experience in a dark room, though it's still very good. The Pioneer's picture has much more depth and better natural detail in these conditions. I look forward to having the Samsung calibrated, but it's not going to help out the contrast ratio any.
Hi Tbird, thanks for the reply. I was hoping there wouldn't be such a huge disparity between tvs for night time viewing, oh well.

I'm not sure whether the screen real estate will be enough to offset poorer black levels. In any case, I'm still on the fence. Thank you Tbird.
post #6443 of 9962 Old 07-08-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Hi Tbird, thanks for the reply. I was hoping there wouldn't be such a huge disparity between tvs for night time viewing, oh well.

I'm not sure whether the screen real estate will be enough to offset poorer black levels. In any case, I'm still on the fence. Thank you Tbird.

You won't find many TVs that match a DNice tweaked Elite. There is a difference between that and a calibrated Elite as well. If your set was calibrated by DNice and has the tweak applied then you "may" only be happy with an OLED. The extra real estate will bring other issues into play besides black level as well.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #6444 of 9962 Old 07-08-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
What mode are you trying to calibrate? Movie, standard, etc? WOW is not considered a good disc for calibrating contrast. The only side effect of using MJC is the soap opera effect. Some like it, some don't. That setting is mainly personal preference.
Standard. This is the first time I've ever had a TV with this many options before so it can be a bit overwhelming to try and figure out how to get the most out of the set, although so far I'm really happy with the picture and I love all the options to play around with
post #6445 of 9962 Old 07-08-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
You won't find many TVs that match a DNice tweaked Elite. There is a difference between that and a calibrated Elite as well. If your set was calibrated by DNice and has the tweak applied then you "may" only be happy with an OLED. The extra real estate will bring other issues into play besides black level as well.

Could you elaborate on your extra real estate comment?

Thanks
post #6446 of 9962 Old 07-08-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Could you elaborate on your extra real estate comment?

Thanks

When you make a jump in size especially when going from 50->60"+ you'll notice defects in source material that you never did before. Things that looked good or OK may look a lot worse. Sometimes I think people underestimate how much of a difference a larger screen can make and how subpar much of what we watch is. While you may get more "into" the movie/TV just go in knowing that you'll see flaws you never saw before.

post #6447 of 9962 Old 07-08-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
When you make a jump in size especially when going from 50->60"+ you'll notice defects in source material that you never did before. Things that looked good or OK may look a lot worse. Sometimes I think people underestimate how much of a difference a larger screen can make and how subpar much of what we watch is. While you may get more "into" the movie/TV just go in knowing that you'll see flaws you never saw before.

Ah I see. That makes sense. I still want to experience a 64" set from 8 feet away though. Argh. I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger.
post #6448 of 9962 Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Just 40 ftL? That's a joke considering It was able to get up to 80 ftL back in May 2013. Samsung really went aggressive with the firmware update.

This also means it has no leading edge over the tv/zt60 now. Before most owners choose it cuz of the leading class brightness for day room viewing and/or superior 3D performance but now....it's just a decent performer with decent black levels. That sucks...I was really hoping to have the superior brightness for 3D movies.
There will be unit variance as well, not all TV's are the exact same...... VT60 and ZT60 are gone, at least for a reasonable price, so why mention that ? At That point we can say buy a 55" LG OLED and it will smoke every TV made........
post #6449 of 9962 Old 07-08-2014, 12:17 PM

when adjusting the 10pt white balance in CAL-DAY or CAL-NIGHT, it changes them for both. so if i made an adjustment in CAL-DAY it changes it in CAL-NIGHT as well.

is this a bug?

i have sources set to ALL in the service menu.
post #6450 of 9962 Old 07-08-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Interesting.....please elaborate.
I wish I could, I don't really understand, despite it being 'explained' a few times, haha. I don't want to pass on incorrect info.

the only thing I really got out of it was that cell light is not the same as back light, and the 'correct' way to reduce peak brightness was to reduce contrast. I kind of gave up after that. when I'm eyeballing everything anyway, it's hard to argue
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page