Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What does the 1105 resolve? Any new enhancement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 08:42 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoesian View Post

What does the 1105 resolve? Any new enhancement?

Seriously???

You posted a full 1/2 hour after the last poster who posted exactly what you just asked about. You don't ever seem to read before you post.

Samsung PN60F8500 (Calibrated and bought from Value Electronics) - My Settings
Sony BDP-S5100
Tivo HD with 1TB HDD
Tivo Series-3 with 1 TB HDD
Onkyo TX-SR606 A/V Receiver with 5.1 Onkyo speakers.
post #633 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwojo View Post

Seriously???

You posted a full 1/2 hour after the last poster who posted exactly what you just asked about. You don't ever seem to read before you post.
I would have asked the same question....however, I would have prefaced with the fact that the previous Samsung firmware version(1104) had the exact same update list of resolutions that DaveC56 provided for 1105 a couple hours ago. (1104 updates - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/7724). Not sure why Samsung doesn't update this list for new revs, but it is what it is. So, if anyone has anything "new" to add to the 1105 upgrade, let's add to that redundant list of resolutions that Samsung doesn't care to update. Thanks Hali and a couple of the previous owners for providing some new 1105 enhancements/shortcomings.
post #634 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 11:24 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

I would have asked the same question....however, I would have prefaced with the fact that the previous Samsung firmware version(1104) had the exact same update list of resolutions that DaveC56 provided for 1105 a couple hours ago. (1104 updates - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/7724). Not sure why Samsung doesn't update this list for new revs, but it is what it is. So, if anyone has anything "new" to add to the 1105 upgrade, let's add to that redundant list of resolutions that Samsung doesn't care to update. Thanks Hali and a couple of the previous owners for providing some new 1105 enhancements/shortcomings.

I'd be OK with someone asking it that way DanF, as that would show you actually read the posts and then still had a question.

Samsung PN60F8500 (Calibrated and bought from Value Electronics) - My Settings
Sony BDP-S5100
Tivo HD with 1TB HDD
Tivo Series-3 with 1 TB HDD
Onkyo TX-SR606 A/V Receiver with 5.1 Onkyo speakers.
post #635 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edenguy View Post

So I thought about using some break in slides on my tv and downloaded both D-Nice and Evangelo slides. Loaded up Evangelos slides to a USB drive
and plugged them into the tv. Ran the slide show and it works just fine. However, between the viewing of each slide it displays the words "Loading" in a little box in the right corner. Not thinking I want that same "Loading" box intermittently appearing on the screen ever few seconds over many hours, kind of defeats the purpose of the slide.

Any recommendations? I originally pulled down Evnagelo's ISO file to burn a DVD-R, but my burning program warned the file size was too large so never tried burning a DVD to see if that's better source.

Appreciate thoughts.

I personally have never used slides and frankly, see no need for them. By mixing content, avoiding prolonged blazing station logos and letter-boxed content, I've never had an issue with any plasma I've owned. I always suggest to just sit back and watch the display you payed for. Using common sense is just as effective as slides...only you get to enjoy the display from the get go. smile.gif
post #636 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I personally have never used slides and frankly, see no need for them. By mixing content, avoiding prolonged blazing station logos and letter-boxed content, I've never had an issue with any plasma I've owned. I always suggest to just sit back and watch the display you payed for. Using common sense is just as effective as slides...only you get to enjoy the display from the get go. smile.gif

You're saying two different things:

"mixing content, avoiding prolonged blazing station logos and letter-boxed content" is very different from "just sit back and watch the display you payed for".

I prefer the latter; therefore when I am not using my display I let it age safely using slides. This allows me to put hours on the panel at a much faster pace and I am able to just sit back and watch the display I paid for, including prolonged viewing of channels with logos and viewing letter boxed Blu-rays whenever I feel like months earlier.

It also preps you for calibration much quicker so you can just sit back and enjoy the display and calibration you paid for, months earlier.
post #637 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by jae3cpamd View Post

Is there a way to calibrate a TV or a projector for that matter without lowering the brightness of the display?
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Not if the set is too bright out of the box. Every set is different.
htwaits, has a good point there. If the set is just to bright at its lowest setting you are stuck. ( Not sure if that TV exists though ) However a good calibrator will ask what you think when he is all done to see what you personally think and adjust this or that for your personal eyes.
post #638 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

You're saying two different things:

"mixing content, avoiding prolonged blazing station logos and letter-boxed content" is very different from "just sit back and watch the display you payed for".

I prefer the latter; therefore when I am not using my display I let it age safely using slides. This allows me to put hours on the panel at a much faster pace and I am able to just sit back and watch the display I paid for, including prolonged viewing of channels with logos and viewing letter boxed Blu-rays whenever I feel like months earlier.

It also preps you for calibration much quicker so you can just sit back and enjoy the display and calibration you paid for, months earlier.

Did you notice I said 'using common sense'? I think that says it all and is not contradictory from me saying 'sit back and watch the display'. Again, I've never had an issue just watching and using common sense, but I know some are more comfortable with slides. Whatever works for you.
post #639 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 02:09 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC56 View Post

On my Samsung site, there is a new US firmware version 1105.2 listed as follows:

This firmware is for TV Model(s): PDP F8500
The version is 1105.2 (dated 7/11/2013)
This firmware update will improve the following:

- Solves Network Connection issue with Wireless router.

- Solves Brightness Popping issue.

- Improves picture quality.

- Supports more MSO in OnTV feature.

- Enhances Voice Recognition feature.

I'm currently out of town and can't confirm if the firmware update is available under the support menu option on the F8500 via the internet. When I login to my Samsung account, the firmware is available to download the file onto a computer to update using a USB thumb drive.

Dave

Samsung PN64F8500, Marantz AV8801, MM8077, MM7025, OPPO BDP-103, Sony C333ES CD Changer, Thorens TD-190, DirecTV HD DVRs HR44-500 & HR24-100

post #640 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 03:00 PM

Liked: 168
Hmm, I wish they had accurate build info.

It's too generic and pretty much copies info from builds before it.
It says nothing to help me decide whether it is worth installing and what it will affect, if anything.
post #641 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

It says nothing to help me decide whether it is worth installing and what it will affect, if anything.

yeah, I'm a firm believer in the "if it aint broke don't fix it" mentality. I have no desire to up the fw other than the release of 1104 of course. I understand certain members wishing on the 3d pop fix though.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #642 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 172
absolutely with you air and pie. as much as i appreciate samsung for being active with updates, but for pete sake why the mystery?!

samsung PN51F8500. marantz sr5008. sony bdp s5100. emp tek e55tib LR, e5cib, e55wib. sennheiser momentum. sig sauer p250.
post #643 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Did you notice I said 'using common sense'? I think that says it all and is not contradictory from me saying 'sit back and watch the display'. Again, I've never had an issue just watching and using common sense, but I know some are more comfortable with slides. Whatever works for you.

You do not watch letterbox films in the first couple hundred hours of a plasma's life. You don't let it sit on TV channels with static logos. Yet, these are pretty standard things you do with a TV if you were to just sit back and enjoy. I haven't watched a letterboxed film yet, or been able to watch something like ESPN.

I cannot just sit back and enjoy my TV right now because I'm "using common sense". I simply cannot do those things until my panel gets enough hours on it.

Use all the common sense you want, a calibrator will not want to calibrate your set until it has a couple hundred hours on it.

Using it "normally' as you call it, with common sense, it would take me at least 3 months to put a few hundred hours on it.

Using slides I can cut that down to weeks.

I don't know what's so difficult to understand about this method. Either you want to be able to enjoy your set's full potential quickly or you'd rather wait a while and "use your common sense" which entails not being able to fully enjoy your set for a while!
post #644 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

You do not watch letterbox films in the first couple hundred hours of a plasma's life. You don't let it sit on TV channels with static logos. Yet, these are pretty standard things you do with a TV if you were to just sit back and enjoy. I haven't watched a letterboxed film yet, or been able to watch something like ESPN.

I cannot just sit back and enjoy my TV right now because I'm "using common sense". I simply cannot do those things until my panel gets enough hours on it.

Use all the common sense you want, a calibrator will not want to calibrate your set until it has a couple hundred hours on it.

Using it "normally' as you call it, with common sense, it would take me at least 3 months to put a few hundred hours on it.

I don't know what's so difficult to understand about this method. Either you want to be able to enjoy your set's full potential quickly or you'd rather wait a while and "use your common sense" which entails not being able to fully enjoy your set for a while!

yeah ok...I guess I have destroyed my display. from day one I have watched it like any other display. movies in letterbox mode, hd channels with static logos, heck even some crappy sd 4:3 material. to this day I don't have any issues with my above habits. never ever ran slides to get to that magical 200-300 hr break in. here's news for you, your panel will continue to age/drift far longer after you think you have "broke it in". hope your isf calibrator offers touch-up jobs.
Ken Ross likes this.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #645 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There is nothing 'difficult' to understand about the slides method. But please understand, that's your choice and it's just one of several choices. Believe it or not, I have watched a letterboxed movie during the first 100 hours of my plasma's life and have absolutely no burn-in or IR. None. I will watch a bit of ESPN or static logos, but I'll mix it up with other channels. Again, no burn-in, no IR, and guess what, I still enjoy watching this content.

Yes, I would not calibrate until I have about 200-250 hours and yes, that would take longer than running slides, but who cares? Using the stock Movie mode or some of the nice calibration #s like Pie has generously posted, I can 'suffer' through those few months. Somehow I'll get by. BTW, Kevin Miller, not exactly a slouch when it comes to professional calibrators, also subscribes to just watching the display during break-in, but using common sense.

Again, whatever makes you comfortable, but don't make it seem like your display will explode if you don't run slides.
airgas1998 likes this.
post #646 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Nothing I've said makes it seem your display will explode if you don't run slides.

Watching a letterbox film on a brand new plasma in the first hundred hours of life is not something any professional will recommend. In fact I've seen manufacturers directly advise against this. It doesn't matter whether you watch other content or not, letting black bars sit for hours at a time at this stage is irresponsible, but ultimately your own choice. This is decidedly not "common sense", which I find quite interesting considering the source. What you're arguing is who cares, as long as you vary what you watch, static content and black bars for hours at a time is just fine during the initial hours of a plasma's life. Because of that, I can go through that period as slow as I like.

Well, most of the rest of us are a little more cautious about what we do during this period- and there's really no reason not to play it safe when it only takes a few weeks. I think you'll find that if you stretch this few hundred hour break in over the course of a few months most folks will get antsy and starting watching material they probably shouldn't at that stage. Lo and behold...

Running slides gets you through that initial aging faster, period. There's no arguing this, there's no "whatever makes you comfortable"- it is what it is. There's no magic, no personal opinion that it "works" or doesn't. 100% of the time, it will get you through initial aging of your panel faster. Every time.

Either you want to take months to do this, or you'd prefer to do it in a matter of weeks. That's all there is to it.
post #647 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

yeah ok...I guess I have destroyed my display. from day one I have watched it like any other display. movies in letterbox mode, hd channels with static logos, heck even some crappy sd 4:3 material. to this day I don't have any issues with my above habits. never ever ran slides to get to that magical 200-300 hr break in. here's news for you, your panel will continue to age/drift far longer after you think you have "broke it in". hope your isf calibrator offers touch-up jobs.

Find me a single professional that advocates this "do whatever you feel like" from hour 1 approach.
post #648 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 07:29 PM

We all have different approaches to using the thing.
I chose not to use slides, just like 90%+ of all other purchasers.

Hey guess what - we all sh*t differently too...
Ken Ross likes this.
post #649 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

We all have different approaches to using the thing.
I chose not to use slides, just like 90%+ of all other purchasers.

Hey guess what - we all sh*t differently too...

Well of course, I never said otherwise. To each his own. But to say slides serve no purpose or there is no need for them is just plain wrong.

Furthermore, to advocate no caution taken as to the material viewed in the first hundred hours is just absurd.
post #650 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 07:53 PM

I mixed up my viewing, and pretty much watched anything we wanted - black bars, logos, you name it.
post #651 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I mixed up my viewing, and pretty much watched anything we wanted - black bars, logos, you name it.

You say "mixed up viewing" like you switched around every couple minutes, but what you're saying is that you used your set no differently than you will 2000hrs from now, correct?

You viewed material that has black bars for hours at a time on a brand new set?

Can we at least agree that not a single professional or manufacturer recommends this? Or can you find me a source that says otherwise?
post #652 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 PM

We watched movies, so yes you could say 'hours at a time'.
We watched single channels with logos for 2-3 hours at a time too.

This particular PDP does not fall into the category of some of the older makes and types that suffered IR and burn in if improperly used at the beginning of its life.
post #653 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

We watched movies, so yes you could say 'hours at a time'.
We watched single channels with logos for 2-3 hours at a time too.

This particular PDP does not fall into some of the older makes and types that suffered IR and burn if improperly used at the beginning of its life.

I saw a VT60 at Magnolia in it's own little demo room that had severe permanent burn-in. It was playing a full screen blu-ray but the burn-in was clearly visible on lighter scenes. It's certainly not just older generations of plasma. Are you saying Samsung has done something here regarding burn-in that Panasonic's latest gen has not? If so, has this been discussed anywhere already?
post #654 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jae3cpamd View Post

Is there a way to calibrate a TV or a projector for that matter without lowering the brightness of the display?
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Not if the set is too bright out of the box. Every set is different.
htwaits, has a good point there. If the set is just to bright at its lowest setting you are stuck. ( Not sure if that TV exists though ) However a good calibrator will ask what you think when he is all done to see what you personally think and adjust this or that for your personal eyes.
I said nothing about the lowest setting. wink.gif
post #655 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
Quote:

You are absolutely right. I have a big respect for Apple when it comes to detailing the info about any update they push.

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #656 of 6505 Old 07-11-2013, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK, let me put it for you in different words.

Don't watch your TV normally in the first couple hundred hours:
- NO black bars - If there is any, zoom until they disapear
- NO static logo - Dont watch TV stations with static logos
- To speed up the process of putting more hours into your TV use the slides when you are not watching the TV

I did this for the first 200 hours. Now I'm watching everything the way I did with my LCD TV. I have to say the IR in plasma is an exxagerated topic. If you want to be more cautious just use the scorlling feature from the TV's menu from time to time. Other than that I don't see how you will not be able to enjoy the TV. Just think of your TV as a gift that has a big wrapping all around it. Now you are in the process of removing this wrapping. Once you finish the hours then you are reaching to your actual gift.

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #657 of 6505 Old 07-12-2013, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nothing I've said makes it seem your display will explode if you don't run slides.

Watching a letterbox film on a brand new plasma in the first hundred hours of life is not something any professional will recommend. In fact I've seen manufacturers directly advise against this. It doesn't matter whether you watch other content or not, letting black bars sit for hours at a time at this stage is irresponsible, but ultimately your own choice. This is decidedly not "common sense", which I find quite interesting considering the source. What you're arguing is who cares, as long as you vary what you watch, static content and black bars for hours at a time is just fine during the initial hours of a plasma's life. Because of that, I can go through that period as slow as I like.

Well, most of the rest of us are a little more cautious about what we do during this period- and there's really no reason not to play it safe when it only takes a few weeks. I think you'll find that if you stretch this few hundred hour break in over the course of a few months most folks will get antsy and starting watching material they probably shouldn't at that stage. Lo and behold...

Running slides gets you through that initial aging faster, period. There's no arguing this, there's no "whatever makes you comfortable"- it is what it is. There's no magic, no personal opinion that it "works" or doesn't. 100% of the time, it will get you through initial aging of your panel faster. Every time.

Either you want to take months to do this, or you'd prefer to do it in a matter of weeks. That's all there is to it.

I agree with Ken here because it is your choice to what you want to do.
However, what made me go through the procedure I explained in the previous post was that this TV is soooooo awesome not to baby sit it initially. So I was cautious at the initial stages.
Now my baby has become a grown up queen and she can take care of herself. Her only purpose in life is to make me happy and satisfied which she does faithfully. biggrin.gif

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #658 of 6505 Old 07-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Advanced Member

To those who installed the 1105 update do you notice any visible change?
I'm downloading it right now.

As far as updates go for me I have noticed the following:

- 1102: No visible changes
- 1103: Slight improvement in PQ
- 1104: Return button on the remote produces a sound when pressed + Few apps were installed by themselves.

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #659 of 6505 Old 07-12-2013, 04:15 AM

Liked: 14
I only have 1103 here in greece. These updates 1104,1105 are only for us?
post #660 of 6505 Old 07-12-2013, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

OK, let me put it for you in different words.

Don't watch your TV normally in the first couple hundred hours:
- NO black bars - If there is any, zoom until they disapear
- NO static logo - Dont watch TV stations with static logos
- To speed up the process of putting more hours into your TV use the slides when you are not watching the TV

I did this for the first 200 hours. Now I'm watching everything the way I did with my LCD TV. I have to say the IR in plasma is an exxagerated topic. If you want to be more cautious just use the scorlling feature from the TV's menu from time to time. Other than that I don't see how you will not be able to enjoy the TV. Just think of your TV as a gift that has a big wrapping all around it. Now you are in the process of removing this wrapping. Once you finish the hours then you are reaching to your actual gift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

I agree with Ken here because it is your choice to what you want to do.
However, what made me go through the procedure I explained in the previous post was that this TV is soooooo awesome not to baby sit it initially. So I was cautious at the initial stages.
Now my baby has become a grown up queen and she can take care of herself. Her only purpose in life is to make me happy and satisfied which she does faithfully. biggrin.gif

How is this any different from what I've been saying? tongue.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page