Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 221 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6601 of 7702 Old 07-19-2014, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schack View Post
Have tried this using the all button remote---no luck. Do I hold the mute button down while entering the 737?
You do not hold down the mute button while hitting 7 3 7 ENTER. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. I just hit mute, 7, 3, 7, Enter. The timing is probably .5 seconds between buttons. Once you get into the menu, you can't exit it so I had to turn off the TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6602 of 7702 Old 07-19-2014, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
True that ! If you read enough of the forums here, there is no way you will ever purchase any TV.
What a Shame, that so many people only write about the things, that in their perception are wrong with a Display. I would rather focus on the wonderful technology that I have lived long enough to see. It isn't perfect but, it a hell of alot better than it was 10 years ago.
I for one hope I have not seen the last of it.
Like your avatar, I gave away two or three of those 4 pin light bulbs tubes to a friend that is a collector. At 67 I figured why not let someone else enjoy them....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6603 of 7702 Old 07-19-2014, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've just received the 51 inch version and is all setup and done with my preferred picture settings, The issue i'm only having is that when I get near the TV it gets dark, but when I move away from a certain distance it goes back to normal, considering it's a plasma it shouldn't be doing that, Or is that some defect and should be replaced?

I also had it plugged in on a surge protector which created a lot of buzzing issues which was also used for a soundbar and laptop charger
and external drive for a Directv DVR, Then I switched to the wall outlet, and it minimized the buzzing but nonetheless still hear it.
post #6604 of 7702 Old 07-19-2014, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by acostapimps View Post
I've just received the 51 inch version and is all setup and done with my preferred picture settings, The issue i'm only having is that when I get near the TV it gets dark, but when I move away from a certain distance it goes back to normal, considering it's a plasma it shouldn't be doing that, Or is that some defect and should be replaced?

I also had it plugged in on a surge protector which created a lot of buzzing issues which was also used for a soundbar and laptop charger
and external drive for a Directv DVR, Then I switched to the wall outlet, and it minimized the buzzing but nonetheless still hear it.
The screen gets darker when your up close looking down or up due to the AR coating. It job is to stop glare from lightening. It helps it not get that washed out look to. It's normal for the f8500.
post #6605 of 7702 Old 07-19-2014, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Hi all, hope I am in the right place to post this question. I just purchased a PN64F8500 earlier today and got it hung up on the wall. Due to time constraints, lack of surge protection behind the tv and availability I had to install a Legrand CMk-70 in-wall power bridge in the wall behind the tv. Unfortunately I cannot plug in my tv into that socket. The plug doesn't fit even when forced and then I don't like the way it bends the power cord at a 90 degree angle.

The power cord on mine is I-Sheng IS-15. The cord appears to be a regular pc power supply cable but I want to be sure before using one I have. I saw on the cable it is Shielded and I guess rated at 300V. I have been searching Google and haven't found much. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Pics: http://s287.photobucket.com/user/bry...ibrary/Samsung
post #6606 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
After reading this massive thread I am just trying to get my ducks in a row here before my TV comes Friday!

Getting a http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OJN250/...I3A2ZDLDW2RWXW to help with cooling.

Getting a few http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PW3DKS/...LGU1YPID&psc=1 to address the ports being nearing the edge.

Getting the http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HT-XT1-Ch...ds=Sony+HT-XT1 for my sound needs

A couple of questions. I read that having a http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-1092...e+power+center is good to for regulating power. Would you recommend it? Would it really help with buzzing if my set had it?

I also see that http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Perf...s=redmere+HDMI with Redmere Tech are used by several members, necessary? I currently have a set a of 6.6 ft http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DK9A404?psc=1

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
post #6607 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan240g View Post
Hi all, hope I am in the right place to post this question. I just purchased a PN64F8500 earlier today and got it hung up on the wall. Due to time constraints, lack of surge protection behind the tv and availability I had to install a Legrand CMk-70 in-wall power bridge in the wall behind the tv. Unfortunately I cannot plug in my tv into that socket. The plug doesn't fit even when forced and then I don't like the way it bends the power cord at a 90 degree angle.

The power cord on mine is I-Sheng IS-15. The cord appears to be a regular pc power supply cable but I want to be sure before using one I have. I saw on the cable it is Shielded and I guess rated at 300V. I have been searching Google and haven't found much. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Pics: http://s287.photobucket.com/user/bry...ibrary/Samsung
I replaced the cord that came with my F8500 with a standard PC power cable that I had in my tub of cables since the factory cable was too short. I found a shielded one and used that since the cable that came with the set was shielded also. I suspect that it doesn't really matter though.
post #6608 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 07:14 AM

I didn't think it would matter. I'll look in my tub o' cables and find a shielded one as well. Thanks
post #6609 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Ya, those power cords that are included are short, many after market cords out there are available so an extension cord is not needed.......

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #6610 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schack View Post
Have tried this using the all button remote---no luck. Do I hold the mute button down while entering the 737?
No, don't hold MUTE.

Try MUTE MUTE 7 3 7 ENTER and do not give up if it does not work the first few times. A slow and steady pressing of the buttons is better than hurrying... Eventually you will get the intended result.

Potentially useful stuff,
post #6611 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey guys, complete newbie here, so please bear with me

Background
I've landed in this thread for a few reasons. But let me give you some background. I really don't know much about TVs, and the last TV I purchased was a 55" Panasonic Plasma which was 7 years ago. A few years after I bought it I moved to NYC and didn't have an apartment big enough to put it in, so I gave it to my parents. I recently moved to a new and bigger apartment and so I'm finally in the market for a new TV.

I always loved that Panasonic Plasma. The picture was great, and even years after I bought it I noticed "stuttering" on even the newest LEDs when watching hockey (my main reason for getting a giant TV). It seemed to be some technological limitation of LED/LCD TVs that did not allow them to be as super silky smooth as my old plasma screen. So, naturally, when I find myself finally in the market for a new TV now I first look to plasmas. It seems the Samsung F8500 is the one to beat, and my main concern is its performance in moderately bright rooms.

My living room now, which will have the TV, has three big windows. One faces east, and two face south. They do not have blinds on them yet, but I will get them soon. With no blinds, it's pretty bright in here from sunrise to a few hours before sunset. I am a doctor and i work in the ER -- my schedule is all over the place. It's not like the only time I can watch TV is the evenings and weekends. So daytime/bright room performance is important.

Secondly, I am looking for a TV that excels in showing sports, specifically hockey. I've read that the F8500 is great for hockey because it is so bright and because it's a Plasma instead of LED. This makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Thirdly, movies. I like watching good action films. I love watching terrible action films. The reviews seem good for this TV and movies.

Lastly, gaming. I do play some games (xbox, may get an xbox one soon) and i keep reading about the input lag on this TV. Honestly, in my two days of googling, this is the only potential issue that keeps coming up. I see that there are ways to mitigate the input lag and get it down to a reasonable level, at the expense of some picture quality.

Questions I have
My main two questions deal with its bright room performance and the dreaded input lag. Also, since i am a complete novice at this, please let me know if there's anything else i should know about/be considering/asking about regarding this TV.

So, seriously -- how good is this plasma TV in bright rooms? My TV will not directly face a window, but it's fairly bright in here! I would hate to spend $2k on a TV and have it all washed out/glaring/reflecting all over the place. It's very hard to get an idea of how bad this issue would be without being able to test it in person.

And my second question is about the input lag. How much do the adjustments you need to make to get an acceptable input lag affect picture quality? Ie, how bad will games look on this thing once I've achieved a reasonable level of input lag? Will it still look pretty good? Or does it look "bad" at this point?

Lastly -- Recommended vendors?
I've looked into PaulsTV and Eastcoasttvs.com -- are these reputable sellers? They seem to have the cheapest online prices around. Are they too good to be true?

thank you so much everyone! I'm pretty lost here and could use some guidance!!

Last edited by mbeezie; 07-20-2014 at 09:25 AM.
post #6612 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetchie69 View Post
After reading this massive thread I am just trying to get my ducks in a row here before my TV comes Friday!

Getting a http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OJN250/...I3A2ZDLDW2RWXW to help with cooling.

Getting a few http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PW3DKS/...LGU1YPID&psc=1 to address the ports being nearing the edge.

Getting the http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HT-XT1-Ch...ds=Sony+HT-XT1 for my sound needs

A couple of questions. I read that having a http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-1092...e+power+center is good to for regulating power. Would you recommend it? Would it really help with buzzing if my set had it?

I also see that http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Perf...s=redmere+HDMI with Redmere Tech are used by several members, necessary? I currently have a set a of 6.6 ft http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DK9A404?psc=1

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
Looks like you are well prepared. I have the monoprice power conditioning outlet. Works great and does reduce the buzzing. It's amazing how much the power fluctuates during the day. I have seen 118v up to 126v. I would imagine over 120v, the buzzing starts. This keeps it at 120v. I have the redmere cables and they work great. They are not necessary. I like them because they are very thin and flexible.
post #6613 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeezie View Post

So, seriously -- how good is this plasma TV in bright rooms? My TV will not directly face a window, but it's fairly bright in here! I would hate to spend $2k on a TV and have it all washed out/glaring/reflecting all over the place. It's very hard to get an idea of how bad this issue would be without being able to test it in person.

And my second question is about the input lag. How much do the adjustments you need to make to get an acceptable input lag affect picture quality? Ie, how bad will games look on this thing once I've achieved a reasonable level of input lag? Will it still look pretty good? Or does it look "bad" at this point?
If you're happy with the Panasonic's performance in a bright room, you'll likely be thrilled with the Samsung. The f8500 likely has a more effective anti-glare coating and is probably a lot brighter than your old Panasonic.

Input lag is quite bad by default, but game mode gets it down to around 60ms, if I remember rightly. That's still not good, but you can get it down even lower with PC mode. I haven't experimented with PC mode, but in game mode the picture quality is quite good (after adjustments). Very comparable to non-game mode, I'd say.
post #6614 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Just got mine 51" 8500 delivered. As I was looping an HDMI cable over the dresser it hit the screen and made the tiniest little scratch on the glass. AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH. You can't see it at all while watching it, but it's such a first world problem to get such a beauty and mar it immediately. I'm not going to worry about it as you can only see it when the set is off. It's no bigger than apostrophe on a keyboard, and as thin as a hair. Still pisses me off.

Anyway I really just wanted to post that it's hot a June 2014 build date!! Fresh out the factory, so they're still rolling some out it seems.
post #6615 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodrin View Post
I removed two of the screws and the inner grill (The one I set against the holes on the panel). ... while leaving 2 screws to keep the nob and outer grill on.

The back panel on that side of the screen is now cold to the touch when running. I ordered another one for the 'right side' which also gets hot.
I wonder whether I should get a fan for the 'right side'?

I installed one of these Thermaltake fans on the left side. The quoted post had some good ideas. I removed the inner grill, but kept all four screws in place, and I reversed all four screws so that the heads of the screws are facing the TV and the studs are sticking out from the back of the fan. Makes for a close fit between the fan and the TV.

I mounted it with a couple of pieces of very stiff 10 gauge copper grounding wire bent into an S-hook shape.

The TV used to run 43 - 44 degrees under good conditions, and I've see it as high as 48 degrees. Now it seems to settle in at 37 - 38 degrees.

I had originally planned to put a fan only on the left side. I think that the left side has a genuine design issue. The "Evo Kit" panel prevents the left side from having a decent convective intake vent on the left side; the two tiny intake vents below the Evo panel don't cut it. The fan fixed this.

However, as I was looking at the configuration of vents, it occured to me that perhaps the fan on the left side is preventing proper cooling on the right side. I can easily imagine that the fan on the left side is now drawing the convective air currents from the bottom right vent over to the left side of the TV, and starving the air flow on the right side of the TV. Now I'm wondering if I should put another fan on the rght side.

Opinions?

Last edited by shadowspawn; 07-20-2014 at 01:59 PM. Reason: spelling
post #6616 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As I understand it, this will be the last year Samsung is making plasmas. Does anyone know we will be able to upgrade the 8500 with the "Evo Kit " for next few years. Or will this be the last year we see it?
post #6617 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by acostapimps View Post

You should be using a UPS Surge Protector with Battery backup, and a minimum of 750VA for a Plasma.
post #6618 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
You should be using a UPS Surge Protector with Battery backup, and a minimum of 750VA for a Plasma.
This is my first plasma(PN64F8500) is a UPS necessary? Or can I just use my Monster surge protector?

Anyone have a recommendation for a UPS, power conditioner or better surge protector for 8-10 components?
post #6619 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is my first plasma(PN64F8500) is a UPS necessary? Or can I just use my Monster surge protector?

Anyone have a recommendation for a UPS, power conditioner or better surge protector for 8-10 components?
I don't use a UPS for my tv. I just use a surge protector,power conditioner. This works greats.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A4V09ZG/...SIN=B00A4V09ZG
post #6620 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpk248 View Post
Just got mine 51" 8500 delivered. As I was looping an HDMI cable over the dresser it hit the screen and made the tiniest little scratch on the glass. AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH. You can't see it at all while watching it, but it's such a first world problem to get such a beauty and mar it immediately. I'm not going to worry about it as you can only see it when the set is off. It's no bigger than apostrophe on a keyboard, and as thin as a hair. Still pisses me off.

Anyway I really just wanted to post that it's hot a June 2014 build date!! Fresh out the factory, so they're still rolling some out it seems.
Yeah, I'd be pissed too. Post back your opinions in a few days, I am looking to get the same set this week. I don't want to wait any longer and have them tell me they are no longer in production. From all I have read, buzzing is my only real concern on the 51" If I get a buzzer, now that would piss me off. I said 51" because that's the size I want. Hopefully no one gets a buzzer.

post #6621 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary777 View Post
Yeah, I'd be pissed too. Post back your opinions in a few days, I am looking to get the same set this week. I don't want to wait any longer and have them tell me they are no longer in production. From all I have read, buzzing is my only real concern on the 51" If I get a buzzer, now that would piss me off. I said 51" because that's the size I want. Hopefully no one gets a buzzer.
I think you will be fine. Most of the buzzers are the 60 inch model.
post #6622 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 07:18 PM

What about the 64", is it known to be a buzzer? Mine was manufactured Sept. 2013. Hope it doesn't buzz. Haven't turned it on yet as all I have had time to do is install the wall mount and hang the tv on the wall.
post #6623 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I don't use a UPS for my tv. I just use a surge protector,power conditioner. This works greats.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A4V09ZG/...SIN=B00A4V09ZG
Thanks for the recommendation. How good is the one you linked? 1-10 scale.
post #6624 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. How good is the one you linked? 1-10 scale.
It is a great unit. 3500 joule rated, 15 amp with resettable circuit breaker. I don't know how many amps your equipment draws, but for me it is plenty. I have a satellite box, avr, blu ray player, and tv on the surge protector, and it has no problems. For the price, I give it an 8. Nothing is perfect. The blue light on the front that tells you the actual measured voltage can not be dimmed. Not an issue for me.
post #6625 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 07:53 PM

Well that's good enough for me. SOLD when I get the cash. Hey does a power conditioner provide any surge protection? Honestly I have been so busy I haven't looked on google for that info.
post #6626 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaByte View Post
As I understand it, this will be the last year Samsung is making plasmas. Does anyone know we will be able to upgrade the 8500 with the "Evo Kit " for next few years. Or will this be the last year we see it?
It seems to share firmware with the F8000 LCD. I don't know why the future Evo kits wouldn't be compatible with the F8500. Then again so far there seems to be no real reason to upgrade.
KONICA TECH likes this.
post #6627 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Insurance

A UPS Battery Backup is like Insurance for your system. My Monster is plugged into a 750VA UPS for double protection!
The issue depends on how good your Local Power Supply is. Power off for 3 hours, who cares, BUT, TV has been on for several hours, is HOT, when the Power suddenly goes Off, then back On. Sometimes times several times in a row over a short period. Any weak electronics in your set - poof!
UPS Battery backup, power goes off, switches immediately to the battery with no loss of power to the set. (If you paid attention when plugging everything in, and #1 - attached the lead to the battery when you first got it, then #2 - actually plugged the components in on the Battery side, not the surge side.)
For the cost of your set, $69 to $99 for a 750VA APC is cheap Insurance! Saved my components quite a few times!
post #6628 of 7702 Old 07-20-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well that's good enough for me. SOLD when I get the cash. Hey does a power conditioner provide any surge protection? Honestly I have been so busy I haven't looked on google for that info.
Yes, it provide surge protection. Rated at 3500 joules. Obviously, if your house takes a lightning hit, it probably would not protect it.
post #6629 of 7702 Old 07-21-2014, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello, I was just curious, for those who have a PS3 connected to their Samsung F8500, what are your ps3 video/blu-ray settings set to?
post #6630 of 7702 Old 07-21-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm finally buying the f8500 after many months of reading all threads on this forum so I'm pretty excited.

I just want to know if there is any difference between a 2014 build tv vs a 2013 model. Is there much difference to worry about. I ask this because I booked my tv already but will not know what model it is until it arrives.

I just wanted this tv so bad since this is the last year of plasmas and I want to make sure I have the best although it will be extinct.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page