Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 222 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6631 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I'm finally buying the f8500 after many months of reading all threads on this forum so I'm pretty excited.

I just want to know if there is any difference between a 2014 build tv vs a 2013 model. Is there much difference to worry about. I ask this because I booked my tv already but will not know what model it is until it arrives.

I just wanted this tv so bad since this is the last year of plasmas and I want to make sure I have the best although it will be extinct.
I don't think there is any difference. It just verifies they are still making them.
Ph8te likes this.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6632 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
I wonder whether I should get a fan for the 'right side'?

However, as I was looking at the configuration of vents, it occured to me that perhaps the fan on the left side is preventing proper cooling on the right side. I can easily imagine that the fan on the left side is now drawing the convective air currents from the bottom right vent over to the left side of the TV, and starving the air flow on the right side of the TV. Now I'm wondering if I should put another fan on the rght side.

Opinions?
I say let your hand decide. If the right side feels hot, you need the fan.
post #6633 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgeneration View Post
Hello, I was just curious, for those who have a PS3 connected to their Samsung F8500, what are your ps3 video/blu-ray settings set to?
See here:
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)
post #6634 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I just wanted this tv so bad since this is the last year of plasmas and I want to make sure I have the best although it will be extinct.
This was my motivation as well. Plasma has spoiled my eyes.
I was on the fence but when my Panny 77u got a bit of burn in a few weeks ago it pushed me over to make the plunge so I did.
Can't wait for Friday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetchie69 View Post
I plan on getting the Sony HT-XT1 as well.

I would be better off plugging everything via HDMI into the TV and then using the ARC HDMI port to connect to the soundbar right?

The ARC port passes along any digital format? DD, DTS etc..?

I think I read somewhere that the optical out does not.
Just to get back to this for a second. I have a dilemma because I have 4 components to hook up. Cable Box, Apple TV, Blu Ray and Xbox 360.

But I think I need to dedicate the ARC port to the sound bar so I am one short.

Since the XT1 has HDMI in as well, if I plug any units into the sound bar that won't disable the ARC I hope? And by the same token, will it send audio to the TV for the components plugged directly into the soundbar because I want to leverage the optical out to a DAC which feeds my headphones for nighttime listening while the wife sleeps.
post #6635 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
This was my motivation as well. Plasma has spoiled my eyes.
I was on the fence but when my Panny 77u got a bit of burn in a few weeks ago it pushed me over to make the plunge so I did.
Can't wait for Friday
Plasma can get us hooked so bad. I remember I paid exactly 550$ for my first LG plasma which was a 51 inch tv just last year.

Now on hearing plasmas demise I ran to shell out 3030$ for the f8500. Never in my wildest dreams would I ever spend this much money if it was an led. That's how much I'm going to miss plasmas.

If only all dealerships marketed plasmas instead of those worthless led's.
post #6636 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post
If you're happy with the Panasonic's performance in a bright room, you'll likely be thrilled with the Samsung. The f8500 likely has a more effective anti-glare coating and is probably a lot brighter than your old Panasonic.

Input lag is quite bad by default, but game mode gets it down to around 60ms, if I remember rightly. That's still not good, but you can get it down even lower with PC mode. I haven't experimented with PC mode, but in game mode the picture quality is quite good (after adjustments). Very comparable to non-game mode, I'd say.
Better than an old panasonic plasma but not better than the Panasonic ZT60 if you can find one....the zt60 has the best light filter ever sold on a plasma tv. The F8500 and VT60 filters perform the same....

As for brightness I've read the F8500 superior brightness has been cut down severely to the level of other plasma manufacturers....so there isn't a "real" advantage of owning the F8500 for bright rooms anymore. Its still a good plasma tv though

Last edited by music_to_my_ear; 07-21-2014 at 10:47 AM.
post #6637 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acostapimps View Post
I've just received the 51 inch version and is all setup and done with my preferred picture settings, The issue i'm only having is that when I get near the TV it gets dark, but when I move away from a certain distance it goes back to normal, considering it's a plasma it shouldn't be doing that, Or is that some defect and should be replaced?

I also had it plugged in on a surge protector which created a lot of buzzing issues which was also used for a soundbar and laptop charger
and external drive for a Directv DVR, Then I switched to the wall outlet, and it minimized the buzzing but nonetheless still hear it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post
The screen gets darker when your up close looking down or up due to the AR coating. It job is to stop glare from lightening. It helps it not get that washed out look to. It's normal for the f8500.
Any tv with louvre filters/light filter/AR filters will do this. This is how the filter blocks out the light hitting the tv from the top of the screen.
post #6638 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Better than an old panasonic plasma but not better than the Panasonic ZT60 if you can find one....the zt60 has the best light filter ever sold on a plasma tv. The F8500 and VT60 filters perform the same....

As for brightness I've read the F8500 superior brightness has been cut down severely to the level of other plasma manufacturers....so there isn't a "real" advantage of owning the F8500 for bright rooms anymore. Its still a good plasma tv though
I'm not sure this information is correct. Everything I've read says that the VT60's filter does a worse job with reflections vs the F8500.
post #6639 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ok so I got my 64" f8500, and partially set it up (used the bottom portion box as the stand and plugged it in).

My initial impressions have left me on the fence regarding whether or not I'll keep this tv. First off, the picture quality is excellent, from the colors down to black level. I have my calibrated kuro elite pro 101fd as a reference directly behind it, and unfortunately, the black levels on the kuro are far superior to the Samsung, but it isn't a deal breaker.

My Samsung also doesn't suffer from intolerable buzzing so I'm happy about that. A few negatives that I've noticed that really bother me include dithering, dirty screen effect, and a faint horizontal band.

1. The dithering... even up close, my kuro produces zero rgb pixel noise in dark gray, shadowy areas. But, the Samsung seems to have rbg pixels 'dancing' around to reproduce areas that are not completely black. I have never seen noise like this before, but from what I read it is normal (ish). and only noticeable from 4-5 feet away. Can anyone else confirm that this is the case on their f8500, or is there something "special" about mine?

2. Dirty Screen Effect (DSE)... I play lots of video games on my kuro, and I was hoping the Samsung could replace it as my main gaming/movie tv. Unfortunately, when I pan around slowly in games with solid sky backgrounds (Zelda windwaker, infamous second son, etc.) I can't help but notice areas of the screen that are not uniform and have a cloudy/splotchy effect which is completely noticeable in everyday situations. My kuro, again, does not suffer from this at all. So i'm a little disappointed with the Samsung here.

3. Horizontal band... from what I read, most of the f8500s seem to have a faint horizontal band just up past the halfway point of the screen. This isn't very noticeable during everyday usage and I could definitely live with it.

4. Input lag... Oh man, it's soooo noticeable. A perfect test is having the wii u plugged in and fire up Mario kart 8. You can HEAR the lag between the gamepad controller and the tv. It's a split second, but it's there. I have lowered it by using game mode, but the picture is brutal. I'm sure I could calibrate a reasonable game mode picture though.

I realize that no panel is perfect, but I am used to a near perfect pro 101fd, which has met my standard for what a $3k+ tv should look like. I'm not sure whether other owners suffer from similar issues (as noted above) but i'm really on the fence here.

If the tv didn't have noticeable DSE, I would keep it without thinking. It's unfortunate that my eyes have been spoiled by the Kuro Elite, but it at least puts things into perspective for what I should expect out of a 3k+ tv.

I would like to hear the opinion of others on the matter noted above, and perhaps that will give me some perspective regarding my choice. There are very few of these TV's in my areas, so I don't think i'll have the option of exchanging, or swapping.

thanks.
post #6640 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Is this really true ? What's your source for such info ? Why would Samsung get rid of the one usp that it had going for this model ?
post #6641 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
You've read that where? I recently got an f8500 and it is very bright.
post #6642 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Sad to say that I heard that from a well-respected calibrator as well. Very recently.
post #6643 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 12:17 PM

Liked: 2
Pdogg,

Is this out of the box or did you make any adjustments yet?
post #6644 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg93 View Post
1. The dithering... even up close, my kuro produces zero rgb pixel noise in dark gray, shadowy areas. But, the Samsung seems to have rbg pixels 'dancing' around to reproduce areas that are not completely black. I have never seen noise like this before, but from what I read it is normal (ish). and only noticeable from 4-5 feet away. Can anyone else confirm that this is the case on their f8500, or is there something "special" about mine?
I have a 51" and have not noticed this on mine.

Quote:
2. Dirty Screen Effect (DSE)... I play lots of video games on my kuro, and I was hoping the Samsung could replace it as my main gaming/movie tv. Unfortunately, when I pan around slowly in games with solid sky backgrounds (Zelda windwaker, infamous second son, etc.) I can't help but notice areas of the screen that are not uniform and have a cloudy/splotchy effect which is completely noticeable in everyday situations. My kuro, again, does not suffer from this at all. So i'm a little disappointed with the Samsung here.
I specifically checked for this on mine and it does not have any DSE. Funny, my 9G Kuro non-Elite has very noticeable DSE so I made sure to check it closely. What my f8500 does seem to have is very faint vertical lines across the panel, which can give it a bit of screen door effect on white backgrounds.

Quote:
3. Horizontal band... from what I read, most of the f8500s seem to have a faint horizontal band just up past the halfway point of the screen. This isn't very noticeable during everyday usage and I could definitely live with it.
What color is the band? I haven't noticed anything around the halfway point, but on white backgrounds I can see what looks like an extremely faint pink horizontal band about 1" or so up from the bottom.

Quote:
4. Input lag... Oh man, it's soooo noticeable. A perfect test is having the wii u plugged in and fire up Mario kart 8. You can HEAR the lag between the gamepad controller and the tv. It's a split second, but it's there. I have lowered it by using game mode, but the picture is brutal. I'm sure I could calibrate a reasonable game mode picture though.
I noticed the same thing with Mario Kart as well. I started playing only to quickly notice my steering felt way off. Then I remembered hearing about input lag with this set and turned on Game Mode. This improved things, but agree that the picture isn't exactly to my liking.

The biggest concern I have with my set is something you didn't mention. Mine gets almost instant IR when there is anything high contrast displayed on the screen for a short amount of time. For example, if a commercial shows dark text and/or logos on a white background for 5-10 seconds, I'll see the image retained and slowly fading away in the next commercial for about 5-10 seconds. The same thing happens with the "Play" bar of my cable box if I pause a show for 5-10 seconds. So far any IR has faded away completely as far as I can tell. Do you see this at all on yours?
post #6645 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Bitter sweet day. My 8500 is being delivered this afternoon. I am really curious to see how it will stand up to my old, dearly departed zt60. I will say I have never been so upset at getting a new TV!
Anywho my real reason for posting, short of sifting through all the posts, is there a settings page. I searched and couldn't find one. Thanks in advanced.

On a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone drops to zero
Panasonic 65ZT60 (STOLEN), Samsung f8500 64"
Marantz 7008 as pre/pro
(STOLEN)Emotiva XPA-5 gen 2
(STOLEN)Axiom M22, M2, SVS PB12NSDx2, Definitive Technology Mythos 3 (STOLEN)
PS3, Xfinity X2 (beta)Working to replace stolen items...
post #6646 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 540
There is an entire thread dedicated to settings:

http://www.avsforum.com/showthread.php?t=1467675

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #6647 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Pdogg,

Is this out of the box or did you make any adjustments yet?
The set has been adjusted, not calibrated.
post #6648 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 01:34 PM

krisb01,

the DSE effect on mine, is more of a vertical issue. I suppose you could say they're big asymmetrically bordered dirty columns. The first non-elite I bought also had this and I had to return it because I couldn't NOT see it.

As for the horizontal banding, it's just a faint colorless (greyish-dark) line that runs about 2" above center.

With respect to IR, I switch my content up from movies, to Netflix, to video games, and in between I run the break in slides to wear the phosphors evenly.

So there is a chance of getting a set without DSE... hmm.
post #6649 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
There is an entire thread dedicated to settings:

http://www.avsforum.com/showthread.php?t=1467675

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
I saw that on the google machine but it leads to a "page not found" error....

On a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone drops to zero
Panasonic 65ZT60 (STOLEN), Samsung f8500 64"
Marantz 7008 as pre/pro
(STOLEN)Emotiva XPA-5 gen 2
(STOLEN)Axiom M22, M2, SVS PB12NSDx2, Definitive Technology Mythos 3 (STOLEN)
PS3, Xfinity X2 (beta)Working to replace stolen items...
post #6650 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post
Sad to say that I heard that from a well-respected calibrator as well. Very recently.

Is this after calibration or out of the box?

I’ve heard it’s not as bright either but after calibration the day mode calibration is still around 50 fL. I imagine peak brightness would vary from calibrator to calibrator.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #6651 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Is this after calibration or out of the box?

I’ve heard it’s not as bright either but after calibration the day mode calibration is still around 50 fL. I imagine peak brightness would vary from calibrator to calibrator.
I believe Chad B said with an earlier set he was able to calibrate at 85fl. Then with later tv's the max was in the 40's. My best guess is Samsung probably realized that making the tv that bright either made the energy estimates invalid, or violated some states, and countries energy standards, or it caused the tv to run way too hot, resulting in a high failure rate. I would bet in a year or two, someone will figure out a way to defeat that FW change.
post #6652 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeveredas View Post
I saw that on the google machine but it leads to a "page not found" error....

Try this one. I copied from an app last time, which doesn't work when on desktop:
F8500 Recommended Settings Thread.....
post #6653 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwest2 View Post
I'm not sure this information is correct. Everything I've read says that the VT60's filter does a worse job with reflections vs the F8500.
Reflections? I didn't say anything about reflections....Black level wise they both washout black levels equally. I don't know about reflections....But the ZT60 is superior on both aspects

Quote:
Is this really true ? What's your source for such info ? Why would Samsung get rid of the one usp that it had going for this model ?
Chad B. He is a calibrator on this forum. He's calibrated some F8500s and got one display with brightness as low as 42 ftL which is very...very low compared to what the F8500 was capable of pre-firmware update which was 80 ftL. The other F8500s measured between 42 ftL - 50 ftL...pretty much around the same levels of a VT60 and some ZT60s

Some folks on this forum told me Samsung reduced brightness b/c of the heat produced by the tv with the brightness soo high....maybe it damaged a customers tv and they did this to prevent future issues

Quote:
Your tv could have the old firmware still loaded.....the only way to know is to check your firmware version in the menu.

Last edited by music_to_my_ear; 07-21-2014 at 03:35 PM.
post #6654 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I believe Chad B said with an earlier set he was able to calibrate at 85fl. Then with later tv's the max was in the 40's. My best guess is Samsung probably realized that making the tv that bright either made the energy estimates invalid, or violated some states, and countries energy standards, or it caused the tv to run way too hot, resulting in a high failure rate. I would bet in a year or two, someone will figure out a way to defeat that FW change.
I think soo as well. Its a shame though....My ZT60 in day mode is probably around 45-47 ftL and it does a decent in bright rooms but I would've killed for it to reach at least 60 ftL maybe 65 ftL. That with the superior viewing angles and excellent filter would've been awesome

FYI....in day mode my ZT60 becomes very very hot...when I touch the back panel near the exhaust fans its very very hot. Like laptop scorching hot. Ive been thinking about adding some 80mm fans back there to help cool it down
post #6655 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Your tv could have the old firmware still loaded.....the only way to know is to check your firmware version in the menu.
Could be, but I think I remember it updating the firmware when I first turned it on.

It is a good bit brighter than my Kuro, which was calibrated to 50ftl in ISF Day Mode. It's possible that my Samsung doesn't have a higher peak brightness, but that it's able to maintain that brightness even with a lot of white on the screen. Perceptually, it's a lot brighter.
post #6656 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
I think soo as well. Its a shame though....My ZT60 in day mode is probably around 45-47 ftL and it does a decent in bright rooms but I would've killed for it to reach at least 60 ftL maybe 65 ftL. That with the superior viewing angles and excellent filter would've been awesome

FYI....in day mode my ZT60 becomes very very hot...when I touch the back panel near the exhaust fans its very very hot. Like laptop scorching hot. Ive been thinking about adding some 80mm fans back there to help cool it down
Sure would have been something to see at 80 to 85fl! Best my calibrated F8500 can hit is around 50fl with a cell light at 20. This was movie mode. Dynamic and Standard mode will be brighter, but color accuracy is pretty bad and blacks are crushed.
post #6657 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

Having owned and still own several Panny's, my 8500 is insanely bright for a plasma. Not sure where you are hearing this but it sounds like more internet nonsense to me or maybe isolated cases.
Macroblocker and venus933 like this.
post #6658 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
I wonder whether I should get a fan for the 'right side'?
I just installed another one of the Thermaltake USB fans on the right side and saw a similar drop in temperature. Both sides of the back panel are now cool to the touch.
post #6659 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

1. The dithering...
2. Dirty Screen Effect (DSE)..
My main problem with my 51F8500 is that fast motion pans 'fuzz' up bright objects/areas. I'm not sure if it's phosphor lag, DSE, dithering, or some other plasma peculiarity I never was sensitive to on my old plasma. ABL is a distant 2nd.
post #6660 of 8260 Old 07-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodrin View Post
I just installed another one of the Thermaltake USB fans on the right side and saw a similar drop in temperature. Both sides of the back panel are now cool to the touch.

After my set is on for 6 hours, I checked the other side and it is warm....better get another fan, do I also need a USB splitter for dual fans?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page