Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 223 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6661 of 6674 Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg93 View Post
krisb01,

the DSE effect on mine, is more of a vertical issue. I suppose you could say they're big asymmetrically bordered dirty columns. The first non-elite I bought also had this and I had to return it because I couldn't NOT see it.

I had that on the left side of my first 64F8500. Exchanged it because, like you say, I could not not see it.
The replacement set is much better. Haven't been able to notice any DSE effect. Though I am seeing faint reddish vertical bands on a white background. Perhaps a calibration can help to back them even more faint?
In any case the replacement set is overall much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6662 of 6674 Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post
After my set is on for 6 hours, I checked the other side and it is warm....better get another fan, do I also need a USB splitter for dual fans?
There are 3 USB ports on the back, not sure how many you use. I don't really use the TV USB ports except for break in slides on a flash drive.
post #6663 of 6674 Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
I had that on the left side of my first 64F8500. Exchanged it because, like you say, I could not not see it.
The replacement set is much better. Haven't been able to notice any DSE effect. Though I am seeing faint reddish vertical bands on a white background. Perhaps a calibration can help to back them even more faint?
In any case the replacement set is overall much better.
Hahhaha the panel lottery! I hate having to replace such a large tv, it's such a pain. There's only one left in stock where I'm at so I should probably get it ordered. Hmmm I'm not sure if I'm willing to exchange it for possibly a worse one.
post #6664 of 6674 Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodrin View Post
There are 3 USB ports on the back, not sure how many you use. I don't really use the TV USB ports except for break in slides on a flash drive.

If you read the ratings for the fan and the ratings for the USB slots, there is really only one slot for one fan.
post #6665 of 6674 Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I'd advise against using the usb ports on the display to power your fans. Do you really think these usb ports were designed to power devices for the entire time the display is on?

There are separate power supplies suitable for powering the fans. Some even have a built in thermostat. Get one of those.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #6666 of 6674 Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Sure would have been something to see at 80 to 85fl! Best my calibrated F8500 can hit is around 50fl with a cell light at 20. This was movie mode. Dynamic and Standard mode will be brighter, but color accuracy is pretty bad and blacks are crushed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
Having owned and still own several Panny's, my 8500 is insanely bright for a plasma. Not sure where you are hearing this but it sounds like more internet nonsense to me or maybe isolated cases.
Read ^
post #6667 of 6674 Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Kuros and the F8500

Why, oh why, oh why do people insist in comparing a Kuro with probably a few 1000 hours on it, with the F8500, with relatively few hours on it? (Like some, right out of the box!) As has been mentioned many times in this thread, PQ increases steadily up and past 1000 hours. Now make a comparison, even though there's still probably a few 1000 hours difference in usage! From a calibration point of view, Black was about a 1/2" out of the Center Box. Now as it approaches 1000 hours, Black has now entered the Center Box. I assume by 1500 hours, it will be dead Center in the Center Box.
wxman and venus933 like this.
post #6668 of 6674 Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Why, oh why, oh why do people insist in comparing a Kuro with probably a few 1000 hours on it, with the F8500, with relatively few hours on it? (Like some, right out of the box!) As has been mentioned many times in this thread, PQ increases steadily up and past 1000 hours. Now make a comparison, even though there's still probably a few 1000 hours difference in usage! From a calibration point of view, Black was about a 1/2" out of the Center Box. Now as it approaches 1000 hours, Black has now entered the Center Box. I assume by 1500 hours, it will be dead Center in the Center Box.
I agree with you. I'm aware of how unfair it would be to compare the PQ at this stage. I'm not comparing the PQ per say, but the quality of the screen. Mine has too much DSE too ignore, I just wanted to see whether there were other people who had similar issues.

It helps with my decision to exchange it
post #6669 of 6674 Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg93 View Post
I agree with you. I'm aware of how unfair it would be to compare the PQ at this stage. I'm not comparing the PQ per say, but the quality of the screen. Mine has too much DSE too ignore, I just wanted to see whether there were other people who had similar issues.

It helps with my decision to exchange it
DSE never gets better. I rarely see it on my tv. So if yours is pretty bad, I would not wait to exchange it.
pdogg93 likes this.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
post #6670 of 6674 Old Today, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post
You've read that where? I recently got an f8500 and it is very bright.
I think you have not updated to the new firmware. I think you better stay that way if you want to keep the brightness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I believe Chad B said with an earlier set he was able to calibrate at 85fl. Then with later tv's the max was in the 40's. My best guess is Samsung probably realized that making the tv that bright either made the energy estimates invalid, or violated some states, and countries energy standards, or it caused the tv to run way too hot, resulting in a high failure rate. I would bet in a year or two, someone will figure out a way to defeat that FW change.
Yeah I think it's because the tv is running so hot. But why are they doing this on a firmware update ? A lot of us baby our tvs and do everything to keep it cool so the update makes our tvs less brighter which is not fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
Having owned and still own several Panny's, my 8500 is insanely bright for a plasma. Not sure where you are hearing this but it sounds like more internet nonsense to me or maybe isolated cases.
I think you have not done the new firmware update yet. My advise would be not to do it until Samsung reverts back with a firmware to include the original brightness.
post #6671 of 6674 Old Today, 03:51 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I think you have not updated to the new firmware. I think you better stay that way if you want to keep the brightness.

Yeah I think it's because the tv is running so hot. But why are they doing this on a firmware update ? A lot of us baby our tvs and do everything to keep it cool so the update makes our tvs less brighter which is not fair.

I think you have not done the new firmware update yet. My advise would be not to do it until Samsung reverts back with a firmware to include the original brightness.
This is maddening. I've been waiting for over a year to finally be in a position to purchase a PN64F8500, and now, when I'm about to pull the trigger on one, I read statements like this. Can anyone (especially an industry professional) confirm definitively which firmware number (if any) dials back the brightness on this TV? Also, if this really is true, what are the chances of getting a new TV so late in the product's life cycle that won't automatically come with the most recent firmware? If I know approximately when this "problematic" firmware update was issued, I can at least try to seek out a TV that has a build date prior to its release, since I know Samsung has made it all but impossible to roll back to previous firmwares now.

I'm coming off years of LCD retina-burning brightness (I know...I know!) and the F8500 is the first plasma I've seen that gives me the pop I'm used to along with the deep, dark, detailed blacks and super wide viewing angle I crave. Lastly, if Samsung really did dial back the overall brightness on this TV via firmware, how does that NOT negatively affect 3D performance? I have invested heavily in my 3D Blu-ray library, and a big part of the F8500's allure for me is that it is (or was) a stellar 3D performer with bright, razor-sharp output and barely perceptible cross-talk.
post #6672 of 6674 Old Today, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the latest firmware 1118(European model) and a didn't notice any brightness drop with firmware updates.

In fact i did a calibration recently and i managed to get 38Ftl with cell at 14 and 52 Ftl with cell at 20, all in movie mode, i think this are the numbers reviwers where getting in the early days of the F8500.
post #6673 of 6674 Old Today, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman View Post
This is maddening. I've been waiting for over a year to finally be in a position to purchase a PN64F8500, and now, when I'm about to pull the trigger on one, I read statements like this. Can anyone (especially an industry professional) confirm definitively which firmware number (if any) dials back the brightness on this TV? Also, if this really is true, what are the chances of getting a new TV so late in the product's life cycle that won't automatically come with the most recent firmware? If I know approximately when this "problematic" firmware update was issued, I can at least try to seek out a TV that has a build date prior to its release, since I know Samsung has made it all but impossible to roll back to previous firmwares now.

I'm coming off years of LCD retina-burning brightness (I know...I know!) and the F8500 is the first plasma I've seen that gives me the pop I'm used to along with the deep, dark, detailed blacks and super wide viewing angle I crave. Lastly, if Samsung really did dial back the overall brightness on this TV via firmware, how does that NOT negatively affect 3D performance? I have invested heavily in my 3D Blu-ray library, and a big part of the F8500's allure for me is that it is (or was) a stellar 3D performer with bright, razor-sharp output and barely perceptible cross-talk.
Also about to pull the trigger on this TV until i saw this thing about brightness being reduced via firmware. Since this would really hurt bright-room performance (which is important to me) I'd also really love to know if any professional out there could clarify this point.
post #6674 of 6674 Old Today, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Well, it's a little hard to get 1000 hours on the TV within the time frame of the return / exchange policy so you can determine if it's a keeper or not.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread