Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 224 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #6691 of 6696 Unread Today, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by max-n-tanner View Post
Just bought the 60"! Love it! How do I access cal-day mode? Also I like my tv very bright. Are there any calibration I can use that is very bright? By the way I love this discussion! Read the comments everyday!

Just leave it Dynamic Mode - will burn out your eyes, but to each their own!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6692 of 6696 Unread Today, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I don't think the light output variation is due to FW, because I've gotten results all over the map with the latest FW (light output in the 40s to mid 60s with similar settings, and very different black levels as well). I do not have any "insider" information on the subject, but it just seems like a high degree of sample to sample variation. I just did one today on which I was able to squeak out 52 fL with contrast at 98, cell light 20, BO at Auto, 5% size 18% APL windows. It looked great, BTW.

The F8500 doesn't seem to be clipping or stressing with those settings, and I believe it'd be OK to use settings like that for a day mode provided the rest of the calibration is built around them.
Ph8te, RyanHomsey and venus933 like this.
post #6693 of 6696 Unread Today, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
What's it do if you turn off black optimizer?
No change with black optimizer off.
I've tried lots of permutations - it seems like setting Film Mode: Cinema Smooth helps minimize it when watching Dark Knight Rises.

It's weird though - I'm able to recreate it if I bring up the system menu and leave it for 10 seconds. Not every time, but more so when I've been viewing dark content.
post #6694 of 6696 Unread Today, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrindst View Post
It's weird though - I'm able to recreate it if I bring up the system menu and leave it for 10 seconds. Not every time, but more so when I've been viewing dark content.
It's not that weird - mine has similar behavior. I was going to try and keep it, but was advised by two different Samsung tech support personnel to return the set because what I was seeing wasn't normal.

Perhaps try calling Samsung about your issue just to see what they say?
post #6695 of 6696 Unread Today, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParityBit View Post
How is this panel for games and sports? I am in the market for a new TV and I was curious as these are the two things I care most about (Don't tell the wife)
I can't speak towards gaming but for sports this TV is the best money can buy in my opinion. I've had the 64 inch model for 2 weeks now and couldn't be happier with what I'm seeing. Once I figured out the settings I tried watching World Cup games, nfl, and nhl content I had saved on my PVR from last season and the picture is fantastic. My girlfriend has a "middle of the road" LED 50 inch set and I've recorded the same content on her PVR as mine and the difference in picture quality is extremely noticeable. The motion blur on an led for sports drives me insane, on the 8500 it's heaven. Buy this set while you still can
post #6696 of 6696 Unread Today, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Here's something for Vegas since he crave black levels.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2232_sm.jpg (71.0 KB, 0 views)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread