Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 228 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 432Likes

post #6811 of 9061 Old 08-03-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 691
That does depend on who is doing it of course......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6812 of 9061 Old 08-03-2014, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPanther0 View Post
So I got the TV horizontal and upon taking the stand off i noticed that one of the TVs own little plastic tabs that slid into the grey metal brackets was flattened and was the reason TV wouldnt sit flat.

So far the set has been pretty nice, though I've been really limited in my content. Only been able to play some Wii u on it and stream HBO go off chromecast or Amazon prime on the TVs smart app list. Noticed a few things:
  • Noticeable input lag (was able to fix at least for mario kart on wii by changing input to be named game input and using warm2 and some offsets. The mode is clearly just a little off but it looks ok at least for gaming, lag is minimized though still there)
  • Pretty bad buzz. Its there for sure to my average hearing and randomly is worse with certain scenes. I can safely say that its worse than my 2010 Panny 54" S2 that its replacing.
  • Pretty good colors with movie and warm1 with a few adjustments. Pretty much everything off with black optimizer on darkest.

I'm waiting on an hdmi splitter to do my own little mini comparison between the old Panny and the new Sammy You would really, really expect the F8500 to just stand head and shoulders above it right?

I really look forward to testing out with some bluray content as soon as I'm moved back into my old apartment with all my gear. I'm considering having the set calibrated by a pro, how many people honestly have that done? Is it really worth the money?
Oh no, a 64" buzzer! say it ain't so!
post #6813 of 9061 Old 08-03-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeezie View Post
Oh no, a 64" buzzer! say it ain't so!
Do the 64" sets have a higher likelihood of this? I read a crap load about this set and didn't come across this before my purchase..
post #6814 of 9061 Old 08-03-2014, 10:29 AM

apparently the 64" have the least buzz, and 60" the most noticeable. this is purely anecdotal, of course.
post #6815 of 9061 Old 08-03-2014, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Has anyone been able to get an authorized Samsung repairman come out and actually fix a 51/60/64" buzzer?
post #6816 of 9061 Old 08-03-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I'm waiting on an hdmi splitter to do my own little mini comparison between the old Panny and the new Sammy You would really, really expect the F8500 to just stand head and shoulders above it right?
No Doubt about it !
They are close in a Dark Cave though.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

Last edited by Glenee; 08-03-2014 at 07:04 PM.
post #6817 of 9061 Old 08-03-2014, 07:55 PM

As long as I'm directly facing my 60F8500, I can't hear it buzz. If I turn my head to the left or right I can hear it. As Cousin Eddie would say, "I don't know".

I like the buzz of my F8500, thank you. It's a reminder that I have a high end PLASMA television.
post #6818 of 9061 Old 08-03-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Any forum members recommend a stand for the 64F8500? Seating distance from 9 to 11 feet. What do you think of the Sonax ML-3609 Milan TV Bench for this plasma?

Appears this forum has altered the method of linking; so here is the old-fashioned way: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

or, alternatively, the Sonax FB-2600 Fiji 60-Inch TV Component Bench http://www.amazon.com/Sonax-FB-2600-...AA0J81ZFFK63DD

Thinking I should have the stand height from 19"-21" to place eye level from lower quadrant of screen to center.

Last edited by igreg; 08-03-2014 at 11:23 PM. Reason: link
post #6819 of 9061 Old 08-04-2014, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary777 View Post
Has anyone been able to get an authorized Samsung repairman come out and actually fix a 51/60/64" buzzer?
Some have reported putting pressure on the back panel in places to subside the buzzing but have no idea how its done.
You might want to experiment
post #6820 of 9061 Old 08-04-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPanther0 View Post
So I got the TV horizontal and upon taking the stand off i noticed that one of the TVs own little plastic tabs that slid into the grey metal brackets was flattened and was the reason TV wouldnt sit flat.

So far the set has been pretty nice, though I've been really limited in my content. Only been able to play some Wii u on it and stream HBO go off chromecast or Amazon prime on the TVs smart app list. Noticed a few things:
  • Noticeable input lag (was able to fix at least for mario kart on wii by changing input to be named game input and using warm2 and some offsets. The mode is clearly just a little off but it looks ok at least for gaming, lag is minimized though still there)
  • Pretty bad buzz. Its there for sure to my average hearing and randomly is worse with certain scenes. I can safely say that its worse than my 2010 Panny 54" S2 that its replacing.
  • Pretty good colors with movie and warm1 with a few adjustments. Pretty much everything off with black optimizer on darkest.

I really look forward to testing out with some bluray content as soon as I'm moved back into my old apartment with all my gear. I'm considering having the set calibrated by a pro, how many people honestly have that done? Is it really worth the money?
Which Panny do
you have? Comparison of interest to me also. Thanks.
post #6821 of 9061 Old 08-04-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
Any forum members recommend a stand for the 64F8500? Seating distance from 9 to 11 feet.
This won't help you much, but I made my own stand. It's just under 19" tall so that my eye level when seated is in the middle of the screen.

For the first stand you linked to you need to make sure the glass surface is as wide as the F8500. That's about 58" on the 64".
post #6822 of 9061 Old 08-04-2014, 07:13 AM

Are there any plasma TVs out right now that rival the F8500 in picture quality but do not have the buzzing or input lag issues?
post #6823 of 9061 Old 08-04-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Are there any plasma TVs out right now that rival the F8500 in picture quality but do not have the buzzing or input lag issues?

The short answer is no, unless you're willing to take a chance with a floor model or overpriced 2013 Panasonic (VT/ZT). The only plasmas currently made are by LG and Samsung and the f8500 has no current counterparts.
post #6824 of 9061 Old 08-04-2014, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Which Panny do
you have? Comparison of interest to me also. Thanks.
Its a Panasonic TC-P54S2. A sort of mid range model from 2010. That year the model cadence from low end to high end was C-U-S-G-V so the S was right in the middle. I can already tell you that the F8500 is going to blow the S2 away in bright room performance and I can also tell you that the S2 doesn't buzz nearly as loud. When I move back to Tennessee in two weeks where my old setup is I will have further results.
post #6825 of 9061 Old 08-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
I have a 64F8500. I just purchased it. Have had it for just over a week. I'm not sure if you've heard the buzzing but if you haven't I can tell you from personal experience it's way overblown on this forum. I also have a 55" Panny GT50 I purchased in late 2012. Both TV's buzz but it's very minimal and for certain the Panny buzzes louder. Unless you're living in high altitudes that's the only way you're going to really hear the buzzing to a point that it's annoying.

As far as input lag. That's another thing I'm seeing that appears overblown here. I have a PS4 and I just plug it into the HDMI port on the TV. I do not switch it to Game mode. I have not experienced any input lag. Some people go by numbered measurements and I feel that to be pretty sad because they are cheating themselves out of a good TV because they haven't actually used it.

The F8500 is a reference panel. Other than what's left of the Panny ZT60's there's nothing else in Plasma that can compare.
post #6826 of 9061 Old 08-04-2014, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've had the 60" a couple weeks and not noticed buzzing once. Shrug.

I have noticed that in a nearly pitch dark room in a scene fully dark, the screen is really just a dark gray. A little disappointing coming from my LH90 which obviously could go completely black at the expense of some halos/blooming.
post #6827 of 9061 Old 08-04-2014, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwest2 View Post
I have noticed that in a nearly pitch dark room in a scene fully dark, the screen is really just a dark gray. A little disappointing coming from my LH90 which obviously could go completely black at the expense of some halos/blooming.
That will improve over time - at about 500 hours you will notice a significantly blacker gray
post #6828 of 9061 Old 08-04-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
I've had the 60" a couple weeks and not noticed buzzing once. Shrug.

It does get a little better with time. However, the grey/black will never completely disappear. I have around 1500 hours on my tv, and with dark scenes, the screen is not black. Plasma glow. Of course, it is only noticeable in very dark scenes, in a room with no lights on.
post #6829 of 9061 Old 08-04-2014, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch2025 View Post
On my old Samsung plasma, I just had to go into the menu and enable it but it seems on this one, I have to rename the input to represent whatever mode I want by scrolling through a list.
I don't think that's true; it's in the same place in the menus that it was on my PN50B860, and if the lag scores that have been posted are correct, I'm definitely in Game Mode on my Xbox One input, without having renamed it.
post #6830 of 9061 Old 08-04-2014, 06:06 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
I have a 64F8500. I just purchased it. Have had it for just over a week. I'm not sure if you've heard the buzzing but if you haven't I can tell you from personal experience it's way overblown on this forum. I also have a 55" Panny GT50 I purchased in late 2012. Both TV's buzz but it's very minimal and for certain the Panny buzzes louder. Unless you're living in high altitudes that's the only way you're going to really hear the buzzing to a point that it's annoying.

The F8500 is a reference panel. Other than what's left of the Panny ZT60's there's nothing else in Plasma that can compare.
The Buzz: Overblown perhaps, but I don't think it's a non-issue. I picked up a 60" 3 weeks ago and its buzz is noticeable, compared to that of my older panny GT30 50" in which it is not nearly as noticeable. Everyone's experience is different and unfortunately, sometimes even the same equipment (even the same model) is different too.

The Buzz: Some have mentioned that the it is more noticeable when turning your head and that is exactly what I experience. My guess is that when viewing the screen there is some natural phase cancellation happening and when turning, so the ear is facing the screen, that phase cancellation disappears making the buzz more noticeable.

The Buzz: I've been able to live with it. I have a soundbar w/sub for TV viewing and a 5.1 system for watching flicks. When there is audio, I generally don't hear or notice the buzz. My brain ignores it. I'm usually about 10 feet away from the screen (depending on the recline factor of my Lay-z-boy). I'm planning on putting some audio absorption panels both behind the screen and behind my sitting position and that may help to eliminate some of the Buzz getting to my ears. I'm not doing this to only combat the buzz. My room needs the panels for all audio.

The Buzz: I haven't read everything on the Buzz and one thing I've been looking for is an explanation of what the Buzz is. It sounds electrical, like a static type of sound and not mechanical, like a vibration. What the heck is it (the buzz) and why is it inherent in Plasmas and why more pronounced in some vs others? If someone has a link, link me!

As far as the picture and the features of the 8500, I couldn't be happier. Well, I probably could but I'm unaware of that happiness so ignorance is bliss.
post #6831 of 9061 Old 08-04-2014, 06:11 PM

Liked: 24
Do any other owners use the 3D feature much? I've noticed on Alice in Wonderland and Avatar that this TV's processing flips the color temperature randomly. This applies to a native 3D disc or the TV converting a 2D disc to 3D. I tried all sorts of cables, different players, and different TV's and the only commonality among all my experiments was the Samsung processing. It's a little crappy all things considered. My W900 looks way better in 3D. Not as smooth, but colors and depth are better.
post #6832 of 9061 Old 08-04-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

As far as input lag. That's another thing I'm seeing that appears overblown here. I have a PS4 and I just plug it into the HDMI port on the TV. I do not switch it to Game mode. I have not experienced any input lag. Some people go by numbered measurements and I feel that to be pretty sad because they are cheating themselves out of a good TV because they haven't actually used it.

Is the buzzing more of a low hum like a DirecTV receiver or it a high-pitch sound? Thanks!
post #6833 of 9061 Old 08-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gr4m View Post
The Buzz: I haven't read everything on the Buzz and one thing I've been looking for is an explanation of what the Buzz is. It sounds electrical, like a static type of sound and not mechanical, like a vibration. What the heck is it (the buzz) and why is it inherent in Plasmas and why more pronounced in some vs others? If someone has a link, link me!

As far as the picture and the features of the 8500, I couldn't be happier. Well, I probably could but I'm unaware of that happiness so ignorance is bliss.
I will definitely agree with you about the PQ and feature set. It's incredible and I have more fun with this set than my Panny GT50. Best Birthday present I ever bought for myself. I would've posted this a while back, I was under the impression that everyone by now has already read about this. Here's Samsung's complete explanation about the buzz. I haven't seen Panasonic bother to mention it as of yet. It may annoy some people but it's certainly not an issue in terms of being a defect. Much of the level of it depends on where a person lives. Here's the link. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/faq/FAQ00022542/22710
p5browne and mbeezie like this.
post #6834 of 9061 Old 08-04-2014, 09:32 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Is the buzzing more of a low hum like a DirecTV receiver or it a high-pitch sound? Thanks!
It's a lower pitched buzz. You know those green electrical boxes in your front yard? Sounds a bit like that. It's pretty bad when whatever you are watching is silent and your room is silent.

Dish machine on in the kitchen and air conditioner humming along in the other room? You'd be hard pressed to hear it. Perfectly silent house and a quiet scene in a movie? Anyone under the age of 75 will definitely notice it.

All in all its a minor annoyance and you will probably cease to "hear" it once your brain gets used to it but for sure there.

The input lag on the other hand is horrible, awful. When I hear the wii play music through the game pad and I turn the TV volume up the song ceases to even be music! I can hear the drum hitting twice in a row distinctly! With video a receiver can rectify this issue for movies or TV but for video games, "Game" mode is an absolute must. Video quality suffers a bit but it gets the lag to acceptable levels.

The lag was much more shocking to me than the buzz.

Last edited by MrPanther; 08-04-2014 at 09:36 PM.
post #6835 of 9061 Old 08-04-2014, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well I've never noticed a hum coming from my DirecTV receiver but I can definitely tell you it's more like a low hum/buzz and definitely in no way a high pitched sound.
post #6836 of 9061 Old 08-04-2014, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPanther View Post

The input lag on the other hand is horrible, awful. When I hear the wii play music through the game pad and I turn the TV volume up the song ceases to even be music! I can hear the drum hitting twice in a row distinctly! With video a receiver can rectify this issue for movies or TV but for video games, "Game" mode is an absolute must. Video quality suffers a bit but it gets the lag to acceptable levels.

The lag was much more shocking to me than the buzz.
Well I guess it happens for some. I experience zero noticeable lag with my PS4 directly connected to an HDMI hookup on the F8500. I do not use the Game mode because it does take a hit on PQ. Could you check and see what firmware you have? I have FW1200.
post #6837 of 9061 Old 08-05-2014, 05:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Any forum members recommend a stand for the 64F8500? Seating distance from 9 to 11 feet. What do you think of the Sonax ML-3609 Milan TV Bench for this plasma?

Appears this forum has altered the method of linking; so here is the old-fashioned way: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

or, alternatively, the Sonax FB-2600 Fiji 60-Inch TV Component Bench http://www.amazon.com/Sonax-FB-2600-...AA0J81ZFFK63DD

Thinking I should have the stand height from 19"-21" to place eye level from lower quadrant of screen to center.
If you plan on placing a subwoofer in front of the display, I'd strongly recommend going with a stand that's 21" tall. Otherwise, you wind up with the subwoofer sitting a bit low which causes pan problems as the drivers would likely be a couple of feet shorter than your left right mains.

The first stand linked to might be a keeper but find out if the ends that stick up are beyond where the display sits. I'm not so sure it is.

Here's another option that looked at a few months ago. http://www.wayfair.com/Home-Loft-Con...I-WLK1477.html On another website, its listed as 20" tall. In my situation, I think I could leave out the middle shelf and back my center channel into it so it doesn't stick out quite so much.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #6838 of 9061 Old 08-05-2014, 06:06 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodrin View Post
I'm just saying I have some image quality issues with this set which I didn't have on an older Pioneer plasma, and I don't know how to fix/solve it atm. I thought it was my set or maybe a receiver/cable problem, but I have I've noticed a few other people make similar comments

". At times, I thought I glimpsed hints of the dirty screen effect, in which bright panning objects appeared smudged or dirty until they stop moving."... (https://clevelandplasma.com/store/_2...sung_pnxxf8500)

and

"In motion, however, I see what look like noisy trails behind objects on the Samsung. In movies this isn't really an issue, but it's pretty obvious on 60fps content like video games. Maybe it's just something that I'll get accustomed to and stop seeing, like plasma phosphor trails."
... (Thoughts on Samsung f8500 vs Pioneer KRP-500m)

The effect is slightly lessened if I play around with the motion settings, but motion settings are disable in PC and Game modes, modes you have to be in if you want to bring the input lag down.

edit 1: For those that have the TV, if you play Motion Blur Test, in addition to the normal flickering of the left/right sides of each box, I see an additional fuzzy 'wake' around the magenta/yellow sliding boxes @ 1 minute or so into that video.

edit 2: I could see the fuzziness while watching Hockey. I don't normally watch it, but when they did a fast pan the dark letters on the ice 'fuzzed.'
Lodrin, any update here? Changing any settings improve the motion issues? I've had my 60F8500 for a couple weeks, and I find the pixellation during panning motion or even people who walk by in the fore/background are all noticeably fuzzy/pixellated. A little surprised since I thought the refresh rates on Plasmas were supposed to improve motion handling.
post #6839 of 9061 Old 08-05-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Lodrin, any update here? Changing any settings improve the motion issues? I've had my 60F8500 for a couple weeks, and I find the pixellation during panning motion or even people who walk by in the fore/background are all noticeably fuzzy/pixellated. A little surprised since I thought the refresh rates on Plasmas were supposed to improve motion handling.
Not really, though some of the pixellation does tend to disappear at Dynamic..

I'm glad someone else sees what I'm talking about though.

There's just something wrong/awkward with how this TV handles motion that reviewers have largely missed/ignored.
post #6840 of 9061 Old 08-05-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodrin View Post
Not really, though some of the pixellation does tend to disappear at Dynamic..

I'm glad someone else sees what I'm talking about though.

There's just something wrong/awkward with how this TV handles motion that reviewers have largely missed/ignored.
This is a major turn off for me. I have been all set to buy this TV multiple times but haven't pulled the trigger. While the buzz and input lag sound a little annoying, I could deal with them. My main purpose is to watch hockey games, action movies, and play the occasional xbox game. Any recommendations on what I should go with instead of the F8500?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page