Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 229 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6841 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwest2 View Post
Lodrin, any update here? Changing any settings improve the motion issues? I've had my 60F8500 for a couple weeks, and I find the pixellation during panning motion or even people who walk by in the fore/background are all noticeably fuzzy/pixellated. A little surprised since I thought the refresh rates on Plasmas were supposed to improve motion handling.
Are you seeing pixellation while watching blu ray, cable/satellite or both? If only on cable/satellite, then it most likely is being caused by video compression, which is not the fault of the tv. I occasionally see it on one or two channels while watching satellite. I saw it on my previous Sharp 70 inch LED, and occasionally see it on my Pioneer 5020, but not as obvious. The bigger the tv, the more likely you will see these compression flaws. So for me, not too obvious of the 50 in pioneer, more obvious on the F8500, and even more obvious on the 70 inch Sharp. The channel that was most obvious, was the local CBS affiliate. Oddly, the pixellation occurs on both satellite and OTA, whIch means they are compressing the signal before transmission.

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
wxman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6842 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 08:42 AM
Member
 
kwest2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Are you seeing pixellation while watching blu ray, cable/satellite or both? If only on cable/satellite, then it most likely is being caused by video compression, which is not the fault of the tv. I occasionally see it on one or two channels while watching satellite. I saw it on my previous Sharp 70 inch LED, and occasionally see it on my Pioneer 5020, but not as obvious. The bigger the tv, the more likely you will see these compression flaws. So for me, not too obvious of the 50 in pioneer, more obvious on the F8500, and even more obvious on the 70 inch Sharp. The channel that was most obvious, was the local CBS affiliate. Oddly, the pixellation occurs on both satellite and OTA, whIch means they are compressing the signal before transmission.
Any scene with high motion. I had a thought...is it due to the Plasma's 600hz refresh? I'm coming from the FALD LCD LH90, so presumably I had motion blur. This theoretically would cause images to "smush" together as they panned. The Plasma's refresh rate should instead show each frame clearly, meaning the moving object would make small "jumps" from frame to frame. Does that make sense? It sorta makes objects look blocky on fast motion.
kwest2 is offline  
post #6843 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Denniswrly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: N,California
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeezie View Post
This is a major turn off for me. I have been all set to buy this TV multiple times but haven't pulled the trigger. While the buzz and input lag sound a little annoying, I could deal with them. My main purpose is to watch hockey games, action movies, and play the occasional xbox game. Any recommendations on what I should go with instead of the F8500?
I have 64" No buzz, motion problems and i watch alot of sports and movies...LG oled is only other think i buy at this time..imo

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
Denniswrly is offline  
post #6844 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwest2 View Post
Any scene with high motion. I had a thought...is it due to the Plasma's 600hz refresh? I'm coming from the FALD LCD LH90, so presumably I had motion blur. This theoretically would cause images to "smush" together as they panned. The Plasma's refresh rate should instead show each frame clearly, meaning the moving object would make small "jumps" from frame to frame. Does that make sense? It sorta makes objects look blocky on fast motion.
What you are likely seeing is judder, which is common with plasma. LED has motion blur, plasma has judder. The only tv that I have owned that never had blur or judder, was a DLP. It suffered from poor blacks and rainbowing. Every tv has its flaws. The bigger the screen, the more obvious the flaws.

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
wxman is offline  
post #6845 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Senior Member
 
mirak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I would appreciate some advice on first-time setup of my pn64f8500.

I plan to connect a blu ray player, HTPC, and DirecTV Genie DVR/Receiver to a Sony STR-DN1040 AVR via HDMI, then run HDMI to HDMI 1 on the TV. I also plan to run CAT7 from my UVerse router to the TV just in case I want to use the SmartHub features. Nothing is connected yet.

How should I set up this system to run most efficiently? For example, should I use the TV's guide, or the DirecTV guide, and do I need to change settings accordingly? I assume I should keep the DirecTV receiver in control because I'll also be accessing recorded programs and internet content through that.

Also, I have a Harmony universal remote. Should I use that, or should I try to use the Samsung remote to control all my devices (except the HTPC)?

I assume I should disable the TV speakers, but if I want to run an app on the TV like Pandora, is the audio automatically routed to the AVR via the HDMI connection (even though the connection runs from the "output" on the AVR to the "input" on the TV)? And I assume if that's the case I need to change the AVR's setting to TV?

Things have gotten so much fancier than the days of using TVs as "dumb" monitors, so I'd appreciate any advice on how to most efficiently set this up. Thanks!
mirak is offline  
post #6846 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post
I would appreciate some advice on first-time setup of my pn64f8500.

I plan to connect a blu ray player, HTPC, and DirecTV Genie DVR/Receiver to a Sony STR-DN1040 AVR via HDMI, then run HDMI to HDMI 1 on the TV. I also plan to run CAT7 from my UVerse router to the TV just in case I want to use the SmartHub features. Nothing is connected yet.

How should I set up this system to run most efficiently? For example, should I use the TV's guide, or the DirecTV guide, and do I need to change settings accordingly? I assume I should keep the DirecTV receiver in control because I'll also be accessing recorded programs and internet content through that.

Also, I have a Harmony universal remote. Should I use that, or should I try to use the Samsung remote to control all my devices (except the HTPC)?

I assume I should disable the TV speakers, but if I want to run an app on the TV like Pandora, is the audio automatically routed to the AVR via the HDMI connection (even though the connection runs from the "output" on the AVR to the "input" on the TV)? And I assume if that's the case I need to change the AVR's setting to TV?

Things have gotten so much fancier than the days of using TVs as "dumb" monitors, so I'd appreciate any advice on how to most efficiently set this up. Thanks!
You can use the Samsung remote to call up the DirecTV guide. Connect avr to HDMI 1 on tv. Make sure Directv is on, and IR extender from tv to DirecTV box (tv comes with one). During initial setup, you go through the menus and it links samsung remote to DirecTV. Then just use the STB guide and STB menu buttons on the standard remote to control the box.

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
wxman is offline  
post #6847 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Member
 
kwest2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
You can use the Samsung remote to call up the DirecTV guide. Connect avr to HDMI 1 on tv. Make sure Directv is on, and IR extender from tv to DirecTV box (tv comes with one). During initial setup, you go through the menus and it links samsung remote to DirecTV. Then just use the STB guide and STB menu buttons on the standard remote to control the box.
I couldn't get the samsung fancy remote to register with neither my sound system nor comcast DVR. Not sure why. I was able to find both models in the manual search list on the TV.

Basically the setup is Comcast DVR -> A/V system -> TV via HDMI.

The A/V is a Sony HT-CT100 and the Comcast DVR is standard from a couple years back. Is the remote known to have issues?
kwest2 is offline  
post #6848 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Member
 
jza80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a way to remove the muted speaker icon?

I would like to know if there is a setting that would remove icon that floats on the left side of the screen when volume is muted. I use the TV's speakers for some content, and an AV receiver for others so the way it is now I have to cycle the volume to 0 when using the AV receiver, then back up again when the AV receiver is off. I have never had a TV before where the mute indication never disappeared, I looked in the settings but could not find anything. This is not a big deal but if there is a custom setting I'd appreciate it!
jza80 is offline  
post #6849 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwest2 View Post
I couldn't get the samsung fancy remote to register with neither my sound system nor comcast DVR. Not sure why. I was able to find both models in the manual search list on the TV.

Basically the setup is Comcast DVR -> A/V system -> TV via HDMI.

The A/V is a Sony HT-CT100 and the Comcast DVR is standard from a couple years back. Is the remote known to have issues?
I have had no problems with my remote and DirecTV. Paired up the first time. You did hook the IR extender to back of tv, and placed the sensor on box?

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
wxman is offline  
post #6850 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Senior Member
 
mirak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
You can use the Samsung remote to call up the DirecTV guide. Connect avr to HDMI 1 on tv. Make sure Directv is on, and IR extender from tv to DirecTV box (tv comes with one). During initial setup, you go through the menus and it links samsung remote to DirecTV. Then just use the STB guide and STB menu buttons on the standard remote to control the box.
Ok, it definitely makes sense to use the DTV guide as opposed to the SmartHub "What's On" thing, which apparently doesn't work that well anyway. I think by default the TV starts up every time on the "What's On" screen, but that can be disabled, right?

As for the remotes, I'll give the Samsung remote a try with the IR Blaster, but that seems pretty convoluted. My AVR sits on the shelf below the Genie and Blu Ray, so I'm not even sure the blaster will hit all three, and it seems counterintuitive to have to use a blaster at all - shouldn't the remote itself serve as the blaster?

Still need an answer on how to best connect the HTPC/Blu Ray/Genie to AVR to TV. Do I need to connect to the ARC HDMI input in order to feed app (Pandora) audio back from the TV to the AVR? Does that cause it's own problems?

Finally, I'm thinking I might run a second HDMI cable to the TV as a backup just in case my HTPC has any handshake issues running through the AVR. (I'm hanging this TV with very little access behind the panel, so I want to get the wiring right the first time).
mirak is offline  
post #6851 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 01:29 PM
Senior Member
 
mirak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Also, without wading back through 230 pages, can anyone share a link to recommended PQ settings for a living room that's not super bright but also is not as dark as a dedicated theater room? I'd prefer to err on the bright side.
mirak is offline  
post #6852 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post
Ok, it definitely makes sense to use the DTV guide as opposed to the SmartHub "What's On" thing, which apparently doesn't work that well anyway. I think by default the TV starts up every time on the "What's On" screen, but that can be disabled, right?

As for the remotes, I'll give the Samsung remote a try with the IR Blaster, but that seems pretty convoluted. My AVR sits on the shelf below the Genie and Blu Ray, so I'm not even sure the blaster will hit all three, and it seems counterintuitive to have to use a blaster at all - shouldn't the remote itself serve as the blaster?

Still need an answer on how to best connect the HTPC/Blu Ray/Genie to AVR to TV. Do I need to connect to the ARC HDMI input in order to feed app (Pandora) audio back from the TV to the AVR? Does that cause it's own problems?

Finally, I'm thinking I might run a second HDMI cable to the TV as a backup just in case my HTPC has any handshake issues running through the AVR. (I'm hanging this TV with very little access behind the panel, so I want to get the wiring right the first time).
You can turn the smarthub startup screen off in settings. As far as the Samsung remote, it will only work the satellite box, unless you use HDMI 3(ARC) back to avr and HDMI CEC turned on in tv and ARC turned on in AVR. Then you can also control volume and power of avr.
KONICA TECH likes this.

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
wxman is offline  
post #6853 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 02:41 PM
Member
 
mithrilG60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post
I would appreciate some advice on first-time setup of my pn64f8500.

I plan to connect a blu ray player, HTPC, and DirecTV Genie DVR/Receiver to a Sony STR-DN1040 AVR via HDMI, then run HDMI to HDMI 1 on the TV. I also plan to run CAT7 from my UVerse router to the TV just in case I want to use the SmartHub features. Nothing is connected yet.

How should I set up this system to run most efficiently? For example, should I use the TV's guide, or the DirecTV guide, and do I need to change settings accordingly? I assume I should keep the DirecTV receiver in control because I'll also be accessing recorded programs and internet content through that.

Also, I have a Harmony universal remote. Should I use that, or should I try to use the Samsung remote to control all my devices (except the HTPC)?

I assume I should disable the TV speakers, but if I want to run an app on the TV like Pandora, is the audio automatically routed to the AVR via the HDMI connection (even though the connection runs from the "output" on the AVR to the "input" on the TV)? And I assume if that's the case I need to change the AVR's setting to TV?

Things have gotten so much fancier than the days of using TVs as "dumb" monitors, so I'd appreciate any advice on how to most efficiently set this up. Thanks!
If you already have a Logitech just program that and call it a day rather than trying to force the Samsung remote to do everything, the Harmony is WAY better at universal work. Regarding passing audio back to your AVR, how you achieve that depends largely on whether your AVR supports ARC. If it does then plug your HDMI connection from the AVR to F8500 into the ARC compatible input on the F8500 (I *believe* it's HDMI3) and that will allow audio pass back. If you don't have an ARC compatible AVR then you need to run optical cable from the audio out on the F8500 to an optical in on your AVR and assign it to an input. I've done the later and it works brilliantly with the exception of Skype which insists on using the TV speakers.

Samsung PN64F8500
Denon AVR-790
Jamo: S 40 centre channel, S 403 front satellites, and S 40 sub
OrbAudio: Mod1X rear satellites
Popcorn Hour A-200
2x Debian NAS/Media Servers - 28TB & growing
AppleTV 2nd gen
mithrilG60 is offline  
post #6854 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Senior Member
 
mirak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
You can turn the smarthub startup screen off in settings. As far as the Samsung remote, it will only work the satellite box, unless you use HDMI 3(ARC) back to avr and HDMI CEC turned on in tv and ARC turned on in AVR. Then you can also control volume and power of avr.
So should I just connect the AVR to HDMI3 so I have ARC functionality? Why would anyone routing everything through an AVR use any other input? And do I need ARC to get audio from the TV's Pandora app to the AVR?
mirak is offline  
post #6855 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Member
 
mithrilG60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post
So should I just connect the AVR to HDMI3 so I have ARC functionality? Why would anyone routing everything through an AVR use any other input? And do I need ARC to get audio from the TV's Pandora app to the AVR?
Yes. If their AVR doesn't support ARC the input choice doesn't matter. Yes (if you want to do it via ARC over HDMI instead of via optical audio out).

Samsung PN64F8500
Denon AVR-790
Jamo: S 40 centre channel, S 403 front satellites, and S 40 sub
OrbAudio: Mod1X rear satellites
Popcorn Hour A-200
2x Debian NAS/Media Servers - 28TB & growing
AppleTV 2nd gen
mithrilG60 is offline  
post #6856 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Senior Member
 
pitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpk248 View Post
Do any other owners use the 3D feature much? I've noticed on Alice in Wonderland and Avatar that this TV's processing flips the color temperature randomly. This applies to a native 3D disc or the TV converting a 2D disc to 3D. I tried all sorts of cables, different players, and different TV's and the only commonality among all my experiments was the Samsung processing. It's a little crappy all things considered. My W900 looks way better in 3D. Not as smooth, but colors and depth are better.
I've only had my PN64F8500 for a couple of weeks, but I have not observed this anomaly. I have both of those Blu's, so I will spot check them and let you know. So far, I think the 3D on the 8500 is fantastic! Even torture discs like Hugo look superb. I'm coming off a Sammy UN60ES8000, and the plasma completely blows it away. The LED display had tons of cross-talk and perpetually fuzzy backgrounds. From what I read, this was a problem on the 60 inch model, but did not affect the 55 and 65 inch TVs, since the 60 uses a non-Samsung (outsourced) panel. In any event, the 8500 is such a monumental improvement that I am hard-pressed to think there are too many better options out there for 3D. I'm zeroing in on close to 100 3D Blu-rays in my collection, so, yeah, I watch a lot of it. I have no reservations about recommending the 8500 for fans of 3D.
pitchman is offline  
post #6857 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Member
 
cjpk248's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman View Post
I've only had my PN64F8500 for a couple of weeks, but I have not observed this anomaly. I have both of those Blu's, so I will spot check them and let you know. So far, I think the 3D on the 8500 is fantastic! Even torture discs like Hugo look superb. I'm coming off a Sammy UN60ES8000, and the plasma completely blows it away. The LED display had tons of cross-talk and perpetually fuzzy backgrounds. From what I read, this was a problem on the 60 inch model, but did not affect the 55 and 65 inch TVs, since the 60 uses a non-Samsung (outsourced) panel. In any event, the 8500 is such a monumental improvement that I am hard-pressed to think there are too many better options out there for 3D. I'm zeroing in on close to 100 3D Blu-rays in my collection, so, yeah, I watch a lot of it. I have no reservations about recommending the 8500 for fans of 3D.
Yeah, I certainly agree. When the color isn't "flipping temperature" the 8500 is phenomenal for sure. It's just with this issue, it ruins any positives it has over my W900 (with respect to 3D PQ).

I appreciate you giving me some help on this one. The best spot to go is in Alice I think it's the 3rd chapter or so. It's when she's walking down the stone steps/path to first meet up w/ the rabbit, tweedles, etc. It flips a lot during this scene for me and if you have the issue you won't miss it.
cjpk248 is offline  
post #6858 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Member
 
Bobby244's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've had the 64 inch 8500 for a few weeks now and based on the content I watch I could not be happier with this TV. I like to watch blurays, TV shows like game of thrones, suits, etc, and I watch a ton of sports. The picture is the best I've ever had on a TV and is noticeably better than my 5 year old panasonic plasma I had as my primary TV (granted this was a lower end model).

As far as the buzzing goes there is a thread on here specifically related to this issue, I read every post of it before I made my purchasing decision and there are people in that thread that bought different models of the 8500 and it appears that the 60 inch models suffer from more buzzing in all directions out of the set than the 51 or 64 inch models which seem to only buzz directly out of the front almost like a laser beam coming directly out the middle of the set that can only be heard when you point your ear towards the TV. People in that thread would have friends over and without telling them about the buzzing they would immediately notice it, I've had friends over and muted the TV while we're talking and nobody can hear any buzzing. Will your 64 inch buzz? Yes if you turn your ear towards it. Is it noticeable with regular viewing? My answer to that is no. Do I know how to hear the buzzing if I for some reason want to hear it? Yes. I think there are lots of factors as to whether you can hear it such as the size of the room your TV is in, how far away you'll be sitting, the height that the TV will be at. If you are sitting 8 feet away and your eye level is directly at the middle of the screen then you will hear buzzing if you turn your ear towards the TV. Personally on my set if the bottom of my TV is mounted at eye level and I turn my ear to the TV I don't hear it because the noise somehow only comes directly out of the centre. So this is my fix to never hear the buzz, although even when I had it at eye level I never heard it unless I wanted to. Bottom line is just knowing that this is a problem is half the problem in my opinion, if I never read about this issue here I wouldn't even know about it.

Overall this is a great TV and I can't wait to enjoy it for many years to come. If you want a plasma before they're gone you'd be crazy not to get this set in my opinion.
HLdan and venus933 like this.
Bobby244 is offline  
post #6859 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Senior Member
 
mirak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post
So should I just connect the AVR to HDMI3 so I have ARC functionality? Why would anyone routing everything through an AVR use any other input? And do I need ARC to get audio from the TV's Pandora app to the AVR?
Great. I think what I'm going to do is run two HDMIs from inputs 1 and 3 on the TV, plus an optical, but I'll only connect HDMI3 to the AVR. That way, if the ACR doesn't work or my HTPC has handshake issues running through the AVR, I'll already have the other connections available in my component space without pulling the TV back down. Simply connecting dead cables to the TV won't mess anything up right?
mirak is offline  
post #6860 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Senior Member
 
pitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpk248 View Post
Yeah, I certainly agree. When the color isn't "flipping temperature" the 8500 is phenomenal for sure. It's just with this issue, it ruins any positives it has over my W900 (with respect to 3D PQ).

I appreciate you giving me some help on this one. The best spot to go is in Alice I think it's the 3rd chapter or so. It's when she's walking down the stone steps/path to first meet up w/ the rabbit, tweedles, etc. It flips a lot during this scene for me and if you have the issue you won't miss it.
I checked out the scene in question, but did not notice anything out of the ordinary. In fact, I played it three times looking for any kind of shift, but did not see one. Then, I remembered something and checked my settings. The only time I use Cinema Smooth is for 3D playback and when I set up my default 3D playback setting, I switched it on, and it's been that way ever since. I went ahead and turned it off, and sure enough, when I replayed the section in question, I observed several brightness pops (as they are called on this forum). If that is the same thing you are seeing, then turning on Cinema Smooth should take care of it for you. This is a well known bug and Cinema Smooth was posted here on AVS as the recommended workaround until a proper firmware fix comes along.

You may be talking about something else when you describe your condition as flipping temperature. If so, then I'm afraid I'm not seeing anything like that. Perhaps your TV may need servicing? Just out of curiosity, what kind of player are you using for 3D? I viewed this on an OPPO 103D, but I also have a PS4 and a PS3 I can check it out on if that helps.
pitchman is offline  
post #6861 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Member
 
cjpk248's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman View Post
I checked out the scene in question, but did not notice anything out of the ordinary. In fact, I played it three times looking for any kind of shift, but did not see one. Then, I remembered something and checked my settings. The only time I use Cinema Smooth is for 3D playback and when I set up my default 3D playback setting, I switched it on, and it's been that way ever since. I went ahead and turned it off, and sure enough, when I replayed the section in question, I observed several brightness pops (as they are called on this forum). If that is the same thing you are seeing, then turning on Cinema Smooth should take care of it for you. This is a well known bug and Cinema Smooth was posted here on AVS as the recommended workaround until a proper firmware fix comes along.

You may be talking about something else when you describe your condition as flipping temperature. If so, then I'm afraid I'm not seeing anything like that. Perhaps your TV may need servicing? Just out of curiosity, what kind of player are you using for 3D? I viewed this on an OPPO 103D, but I also have a PS4 and a PS3 I can check it out on if that helps.
Well, one word for you pitchman. BEAUTIFUL. That's the trick right there. My thought process on cinema smooth was "it's a plasma, what in the world needs to be smoothed?". Obviously I wasn't aware of this yet, but the brightness pops are exactly what I was seeing. Really messes up the 3D experience big time. I described it as "temperature flipping" because to me it looks similar to when you flip the temp from cooler (or proper coloration) to warmer (more brownish/yellowish) than it does to just bringing up brightness.

Either way I really appreciate the advice, I'm very pleased that I can watch 3D on my flagship plasma. It's just really cool..... I know 3D is bemoaned by a lot of videophiles, but to me it's kind of like being a kid and adding an extra sense of wonderment to a cinematic experience. Sure, maybe it's gimmicky to some, but done right (either on with active glasses on a bright and smooth display i.e. F8500, or with passive glasses on a 4K screen with at least 240hz) it makes watching a movie more novel and immersive, at least for me. I'm sure you agree given your 3D collection. I only have 3!!!

I purchased a Sony 6200 for my player. I also have a PS4 paired with the W900 (gaming setup for Battlefield) I thought hard about the 103D, and if I get another player I will go with it, but for the PQ/Cost=Value, I feel really good with the 6200. My wife is going to send me to therapy just for getting the 8500 after purchasing the W900 so I'm done with any major purchases for at least 2-3 years at this point. (Grad school needs to be saved up for) I even got my Dad who has a home theater in his basement to go with the 6200. He also has a 60" 8500 in his living room and I got him to pair a 6200 with it as well!

Anyway sorry for the rambling, I'm just excited that this fixed it. 3D was one of the biggest things I think this set does better than maybe any other because it's a BRIGHT plasma.
cjpk248 is offline  
post #6862 of 7363 Old 08-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New owner of the 51" F8500 plasma. The picture is outstanding, but I'm trying to find a work around for the input lag that seems to be well known around here. I use a PS3 for watching movies and there's a noticeable audio lag. I've googled the issue repeatedly and have yet to find a solution that works.

I run my home theater through a Pioneer VSX-43 receiver via HDMI. I don't notice this lag while using my cable set top box, just the PS3. I've fiddled with the TV settings, the PS3 settings, and the Pioneer GUI looking for some sort of calibration for this delay to no avail. I'm also not really an expert on such things. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
Obiwon83 is offline  
post #6863 of 7363 Old 08-06-2014, 04:13 AM
Member
 
mbeezie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
What you are likely seeing is judder, which is common with plasma. LED has motion blur, plasma has judder. The only tv that I have owned that never had blur or judder, was a DLP. It suffered from poor blacks and rainbowing. Every tv has its flaws. The bigger the screen, the more obvious the flaws.
Is more preferred than the other? Does it depend on what you plan on doing with your TV? Ie, is it better to have judder when watching sports than motion blur?
mbeezie is offline  
post #6864 of 7363 Old 08-06-2014, 04:48 AM
Member
 
kwest2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeezie View Post
Is more preferred than the other? Does it depend on what you plan on doing with your TV? Ie, is it better to have judder when watching sports than motion blur?
No idea. But since football season isn't quite here, and my experience so far with motion has been poor (e.g. during the morning traffic report, where they have live cameras on cars...the cars move along as very blurry objects...), I'm concerned with how sports will look. Still in the return period so trying to decide.
kwest2 is offline  
post #6865 of 7363 Old 08-06-2014, 04:54 AM
Member
 
Bobby244's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwest2 View Post
No idea. But since football season isn't quite here, and my experience so far with motion has been poor (e.g. during the morning traffic report, where they have live cameras on cars...the cars move along as very blurry objects...), I'm concerned with how sports will look. Still in the return period so trying to decide.
I have a couple nfl games still on my PVR from last season (and there's been preseason content you can watch) and motion looks perfectly fine for football with motion judder set to off when in standard mode (my preferred setting). My girlfriend has an led tv and I watched the hall of fame game there last week and I can tell you the motion blur will drive you insane if you went the led route. I found the same thing for nhl.
venus933 likes this.
Bobby244 is offline  
post #6866 of 7363 Old 08-06-2014, 04:56 AM
Member
 
kwest2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby244 View Post
I have a couple nfl games still on my PVR from last season (and there's been preseason content you can watch) and motion looks perfectly fine for football with motion judder set to of when in standard mode (my preferred setting). My girlfriend has an led tv and I watched the hall of fame game there last week and I can tell you the motion blur will drive you insane if you went the led route. I found the same thing for nhl.
I'm coming from a 55LH90 LED and don't recall any issues with sports. I'll just have to keep playing around with mine. I've had it in movie mode with motion judder canceller off.
kwest2 is offline  
post #6867 of 7363 Old 08-06-2014, 04:58 AM
Senior Member
 
pitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpk248 View Post
Well, one word for you pitchman. BEAUTIFUL. That's the trick right there. My thought process on cinema smooth was "it's a plasma, what in the world needs to be smoothed?". Obviously I wasn't aware of this yet, but the brightness pops are exactly what I was seeing. Really messes up the 3D experience big time. I described it as "temperature flipping" because to me it looks similar to when you flip the temp from cooler (or proper coloration) to warmer (more brownish/yellowish) than it does to just bringing up brightness.

Either way I really appreciate the advice, I'm very pleased that I can watch 3D on my flagship plasma. It's just really cool..... I know 3D is bemoaned by a lot of videophiles, but to me it's kind of like being a kid and adding an extra sense of wonderment to a cinematic experience. Sure, maybe it's gimmicky to some, but done right (either on with active glasses on a bright and smooth display i.e. F8500, or with passive glasses on a 4K screen with at least 240hz) it makes watching a movie more novel and immersive, at least for me. I'm sure you agree given your 3D collection. I only have 3!!!
I'm glad it worked out for you! The AVS forum is your friend. There are multiple F8500 threads here, and they are chock full of great information. It's not always easy to find the answer to a question, but I am a big fan of the "search" function.

Enjoy your TV...it's a superb model!
pitchman is offline  
post #6868 of 7363 Old 08-06-2014, 06:30 AM
Member
 
Bobby244's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwest2 View Post
I'm coming from a 55LH90 LED and don't recall any issues with sports. I'll just have to keep playing around with mine. I've had it in movie mode with motion judder canceller off.
Yeah my girlfriends LED is a cheaper LG model so that probaby has something to do with it, I wouldn't notice the motion blur on a regular 5 yard run play, but as soon as there is a play where there's a 30 yard pass with a fast pan I would see the LED blur which over time bothers me personally. From what I've seen with the 8500 with my current settings I am very pleased with what I'm seeing when it comes to motion in sports but I guess it does depend what content you're watching. I'm by no means a videophile, more of an average user so for me standard with some tweaks using the WoW disc has helped me find settings that I am really enjoying, although when I first got the TV I was not having the same experience due to the standard settings with the big problem being the motion judder being turned on when on standard.
Bobby244 is offline  
post #6869 of 7363 Old 08-06-2014, 06:38 AM
Newbie
 
mhanism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey wxman - how would you compare the 5020fd to the Samsung 8500? (Blacks, detail, color representation, overall PQ, and operation) I love my 5020fd, but a newer, larger tv is needed for a larger room.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Are you seeing pixellation while watching blu ray, cable/satellite or both? If only on cable/satellite, then it most likely is being caused by video compression, which is not the fault of the tv. I occasionally see it on one or two channels while watching satellite. I saw it on my previous Sharp 70 inch LED, and occasionally see it on my Pioneer 5020, but not as obvious. The bigger the tv, the more likely you will see these compression flaws. So for me, not too obvious of the 50 in pioneer, more obvious on the F8500, and even more obvious on the 70 inch Sharp. The channel that was most obvious, was the local CBS affiliate. Oddly, the pixellation occurs on both satellite and OTA, whIch means they are compressing the signal before transmission.
mhanism is offline  
post #6870 of 7363 Old 08-06-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeezie View Post
Is more preferred than the other? Does it depend on what you plan on doing with your TV? Ie, is it better to have judder when watching sports than motion blur?
You can turn on MJC for sports to see if you like that, but I watched hall of fame game on sunday and it looked great with it off. Sports use digital cameras and NFL uses 30fps which has less judder. NHL is the best because they use 60fps cameras, which produces a near perfect picture.

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
wxman is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off