Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 232 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6931 of 9943 Old 08-07-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunya View Post
thats great feedback, thanks. i have yet to be able to find anything even close to side by side (or even in the same store) for the sets im looking at.
I'm pretty fortunate to have a good relationship with my local shop. they set up an f8500, st60, and vt60 in the same room for me. it was actually the only store I saw in the city that had the f8500 in a dark room, everybody else had it out with the leds. so between the two, I thought I got a pretty decent comparison before I brought it home. I would consider the f8000 only if it were about 1000bux less. I think at the time it was actually a couple bux more than the f8500, basically the same price though. I would say the f8000 is about 10-15% brighter than the f8500, but that's about the only improvement(if you need that brightness). for the most part bright images and animated content looked very similar. but the shadow detail and dark movies looked much better on the f8500. but, I will admit I didn't not spend much time comparing those two. I spent hours with the three plasmas, only briefly checked out the f8000, more so to confirm it still wasn't for me.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6932 of 9943 Old 08-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
-the prices they post are a lie, and they are advertised low only to prevent your from buying from the competition(which likely ends up being the same price or cheaper in the end)
-the force you to pay for unnecessary services like 'panel lotteries', 'white glove delivery', or something along the lines of paying extra for an 'authorized' product
-customer service is terrible
-warranties seem to be suspect(now I'm not sure if they are or aren't authorized sellers, their sales tactics make this unclear)

honestly, the better question is what are they doing FOR the customer? they aren't providing a better product, or a better service, or a better price. so what's left?
Actually my question to you was how was the customer actually getting screwed? I wasn't asking about their sales tactics because I already stated earlier that what they are doing is in fact bait and switch. I haven't heard anything about online resellers offering suspect warranties although I would prefer to actually buy directly from the manufacturer. Square Trade is "alright" but the cost of the service being performed gets charged against the value of your TV. At least that's how they explained it to me. Once that amount runs out so does your ST warranty. That doesn't fare well with me.

They are in fact offering a better price provided you deal with the right place. When I spoke to Nice Electronics and Abe's of Maine they both offered to negotiate the price for well under the retail price of $3099. I purchased my 64F8500 from Nice Electronics. I got the same upsell treatment but the customer service was very nice and no pushy sales. They sold me the TV for $2540 shipped with White Glove Delivery. Everything went smooth and my TV was had a June 2014 manufacturing date.

Most of these online resellers are the same, it's really about customer service and Abe's of Maine was right up there with East Coast TV's however Nice Electronics was very professional over the phone and they even invited me to call them for any tech support and this was after I received the TV. These places are just trying to grab you off of Google Shopping. Sure, their tactics not a great way of doing it but if they showed the $3099 price in Google shopping nobody would come to them. In my experience I haven't read about anyone actually getting screwed, just not the best customer service.
Can anyone here admit that every place (that was considered an authorized reseller) they've attempted to buy something gave them great customer service? I certainly can't. The manufacturer's own customer service tends to suck.

No disrespect to anyone here but from my reading some people here have very deep pockets, I don't so every bit of savings counts. If I can get a good price and still get a manufacturer's warranty I can deal with a couple of idiots selling it because once I get my product I won't be talking to them anymore anyway.

Last edited by HLdan; 08-07-2014 at 08:40 PM.
post #6933 of 9943 Old 08-07-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Actually my question to you was how was the customer actually getting screwed? I wasn't asking about their sales tactics because I already stated earlier that what they are doing is in fact bait and switch. I haven't heard anything about online resellers offering suspect warranties although I would prefer to actually buy directly from the manufacturer. Square Trade is "alright" but the cost of the service being performed gets charged against the value of your TV. At least that's how they explained it to me. Once that amount runs out so does your ST warranty. That doesn't fare well with me.

They are in fact offering a better price provided you deal with the right place. When I spoke to Nice Electronics and Abe's of Maine they both offered to negotiate the price for well under the retail price of $3099. I purchased my 64F8500 from Nice Electronics. I got the same upsell treatment but the customer service was very nice and no pushy sales. They sold me the TV for $2540 shipped with White Glove Delivery. Everything went smooth and my TV was had a June 2014 manufacturing date.

Most of these online resellers are the same, it's really about customer service and Abe's of Maine was right up there with East Coast TV's however Nice Electronics was very professional over the phone and they even invited me to call them for any tech support and this was after I received the TV. These places are just trying to grab you off of Google Shopping. Sure, their tactics not a great way of doing it but if they showed the $3099 price in Google shopping nobody would come to them. In my experience I haven't read about anyone actually getting screwed, just not the best customer service.
Can anyone here admit that every place (that was considered an authorized reseller) they've attempted to buy something gave them great customer service? I certainly can't. The manufacturer's own customer service tends to suck.

No disrespect to anyone here but from my reading some people here have very deep pockets, I don't so every bit of savings counts. If I can get a good price and still get a manufacturer's warranty I can deal with a couple of idiots selling it because once I get my product I won't be talking to them anymore anyway.
if you don't think bait and switch, and other blatant lies being told to consumers in order to scam more money out of them isn't being screwed over, than I really have nothing further to add here.

if it wasn't for us, the above poster would have spent 400 bux more for a service that doesn't even exist. he WOULD have been screwed over if not for advice given here, and what I can only assume was him being firm on the phone when he called back to call them on it.

to me it's not about having deep pockets, it's about not wasting my money and spending it well. my motto is to spend more, less often.

for arguments sake, I paid 2850 CDN for my 64" last april. the msrp up here is 3800, cause, well, buying electronics in Canada sucks. so I find it hard to believe that there's no place in the states that willing to negotiate to the 2600ish price point. if that's truly the case so be it, but that's my argument right now. is that I don't believe that's true.

so, with respect, if I'm way off and for some reason nobody in the entire country is willing to budge on the sales price, I see your point. it's just been my experience in Canada, that the only price that's truly off the table is the one that's listed on the product. you can ALWAYS get it cheaper, and then price match that, and then somebody else will beat that price... it usually doesn't take more than asking to get a couple hundred bux knocked off at least.

Last edited by fierce_gt; 08-07-2014 at 09:00 PM.
post #6934 of 9943 Old 08-07-2014, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

for arguments sake, I'm curious what these impossible to beat prices are that would make you deal with such sketchy companies? not advertised prices, actual delivered to your door prices.
Maybe we have two different meanings for being "Screwed". I usually take that as a practice that happens after the customer's money has been spent, not before hand. If I got to a retailer that advertises something different than what they are offering, it is bait and switch but I haven't been screwed. I just don't buy from them if I'm not happy with their sales practices.

I already told you I paid $2540 for my TV from Nice Electronics with white glove delivery guaranteed. The TV was delivered, they took it out of the box, plugged it in and thoroughly checked it out. Nobody rushed me. I'm watching my 64F8500 right now. For me, saving $559 was worth going with Nice Electronics. The TV has a recent build date, the latest 1200 firmware and I registered the TV with Samsung and my 1 year U.S in-home warranty is now active.

Just as side note, Cleveland Plasma offered me a couple of hundred off the TV's retail price of $3099 and still couldn't guarantee me white glove delivery even if I wanted to pay extra. They said the delivery people could just drop the TV off and they would give me 24hours to check it out myself.
post #6935 of 9943 Old 08-07-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Maybe we have two different meanings for being "Screwed". I usually take that as a practice that happens after the customer's money has been spent, not before hand. If I got to a retailer that advertises something different than what they are offering, it is bait and switch but I haven't been screwed. I just don't buy from them if I'm not happy with their sales practices.

I already told you I paid $2540 for my TV from Nice Electronics with white glove delivery guaranteed. The TV was delivered, they took it out of the box, plugged it in and thoroughly checked it out. Nobody rushed me. I'm watching my 64F8500 right now. For me, saving $559 was worth going with Nice Electronics. The TV has a recent build date, the latest 1200 firmware and I registered the TV with Samsung and my 1 year U.S in-home warranty is now active.

Just as side note, Cleveland Plasma offered me a couple of hundred off the TV's retail price of $3099 and still couldn't guarantee me white glove delivery even if I wanted to pay extra. They said the delivery people could just drop the TV off and they would give me 24hours to check it out myself.
When you registered, you should have received an additional 3 months of warranty.
post #6936 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
When you registered, you should have received an additional 3 months of warranty.
I heard about that when checking out Samsung TV's a couple of years back. Since you mentioned this (and thank you) I contacted Samsung. They stated the extra 3 months warranty free upgrade is no longer valid for TV's purchased in 2014. My F8500 was purchased in mid July but they said my warranty ends 08/31/2014. Basically a little over an extra month longer than 1 year.
post #6937 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
my 64" overhangs about 3-4 inches on both sides of my stand. iirc, the 'little pads' on the bottom the stand are about 5" in from the edge, so there shouldn't be any problem with it sliding around or being unstable or anything like that. it's purely an aesthetic concern at that point.
I actually completely forgot my stand is angled. It's ~45" wide in the front, 15" deep, but at about 3" depth from the front it starts reducing in width, to where it's only 36" wide in the back. Still, if I position it in the front...

How's dithering on the F8500? It's just unbearably awful on my ST50, I got help on the ST50 thread and spent a month talking to Spectracal changing every setting/configuration imaginable trying to reduce it, but after two years of this I feel like I've had enough, which is why I'm trying to replace it before plasmas completely disappear from store shelves.
post #6938 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 14
f8500 VS hu8550

Did anyone that purchased the F8500 look into the HU8550 (or any other LED 4K TV's?)

Making the basement into a "family room" depending on the final layout, light from our east facing sliding glass door may or may not be an issue

I was leaning towards the F8500, but since this will be the main TV for the next 10 years or so, wonder if I should "future-proof" Plus the peice of mind of not having to worry about IR from the wife/kids is also a plus
post #6939 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 626
There is no such thing as "future proof" when it comes to TVs. The 4k standard still hasn't been finalized, so users who buy now may be SOL if things change and they need a hardware upgrade to become compatible.
post #6940 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes, we do have different opinions on what it means to be screwed.

but even along your lines, what happens to the consumer that sees the tv advertised for say 2500 at a competing store on sale, but doesn't buy it because one of these companies has it advertised at 2300. then, after the sale is over, he gets a call saying it's actually going to be 2700 because he needs 'x' service. would that person have been screwed over by the company then?

look, I get that you're happy with your experience, and that's fine. but you got lucky. one bad experience does not a terrible company make, but neither does one good experience make for a good company. if you look at the VAST number of complaints about the company, the picture becomes pretty clear, imo. and from MY experience, I don't need to shop online to get the best deals, in fact, because of the shipping charges, it's usually MORE expensive for me to buy large items like this online.

post #6941 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked View Post
I actually completely forgot my stand is angled. It's ~45" wide in the front, 15" deep, but at about 3" depth from the front it starts reducing in width, to where it's only 36" wide in the back. Still, if I position it in the front...

How's dithering on the F8500? It's just unbearably awful on my ST50, I got help on the ST50 thread and spent a month talking to Spectracal changing every setting/configuration imaginable trying to reduce it, but after two years of this I feel like I've had enough, which is why I'm trying to replace it before plasmas completely disappear from store shelves.
I've never noticed dithering on any display unless I'm a foot away looking for it. so probably not the best person to ask

post #6942 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnrok23 View Post
Did anyone that purchased the F8500 look into the HU8550 (or any other LED 4K TV's?)

Making the basement into a "family room" depending on the final layout, light from our east facing sliding glass door may or may not be an issue

I was leaning towards the F8500, but since this will be the main TV for the next 10 years or so, wonder if I should "future-proof" Plus the peice of mind of not having to worry about IR from the wife/kids is also a plus
when I bough mine, the only 4k tv was that one from sony with the ugly speakers on the sides. within about 10seconds of looking at the sony, it showed all the same issues I have with every other edgelit led. extra resolution or not, the problems with uniformity, motion, viewing angle all stem from the lcd panel and edgelighting, none of which 4k does anything to address.

so in my opinion, I'd stick with the f8500. but I haven't actually seen the hu8550 so I can't really be sure

as far as future-proofing goes, that's exactly why I bought the f8500. I fully expect it to be the 'best' tv until oled matures. I just don't see anything being made in the next few years that will beat the f8500, vt60, zt60, kuro, or even the st60 for that matter.

post #6943 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
yes, we do have different opinions on what it means to be screwed.

but even along your lines, what happens to the consumer that sees the tv advertised for say 2500 at a competing store on sale, but doesn't buy it because one of these companies has it advertised at 2300. then, after the sale is over, he gets a call saying it's actually going to be 2700 because he needs 'x' service. would that person have been screwed over by the company then?

look, I get that you're happy with your experience, and that's fine. but you got lucky. one bad experience does not a terrible company make, but neither does one good experience make for a good company. if you look at the VAST number of complaints about the company, the picture becomes pretty clear, imo. and from MY experience, I don't need to shop online to get the best deals, in fact, because of the shipping charges, it's usually MORE expensive for me to buy large items like this online.

What you're explaining is a practice of misleading a consumer, not screwing them over. You're using the wrong terminology. You can only be screwed over after your money has been spent if you were told the wrong information. So, before the sale it's a misleading practice towards a consumer. After the sale the customer is screwed from misleading information.

Look, I would definitely like to keep this a civil conversation but please refrain from inadvertently calling me stupid, such as saying "you got lucky". I do know how to spend my money properly and I put in a lot of time making sure that it goes towards proper avenues and I don't make a practice of telling others they aren't spending their money in the fashion that I would consider being smart as you have towards me.

For the record, back in 2012 I purchased my Panasonic plasma from Abe's of Maine. Their customer service over the phone certainly could've been better but in the end I got a decent deal, they delivered the TV as promised with WGD. Other than price it's no different end result than if I had purchased it at Best Buy or any other "authorized" retailer. My Panasonic Plasma is working fine with the one year warranty it came with from Panasonic. So did I get lucky twice? I don't think so. I just understand how the sales game works with these places and I am prepared to deal with them. I also look at a lot of other factors such as if they are a member of the BBB or if they take Paypal and various other things before buying. They are not scam artist as you are putting it. I have said they are bait and switch but at the end of the day they are offering the same product for a better price and delivery than other retailers I have dealt with.

I was trying to help people here by sharing my experience (as what I thought this forum was all about) but you're putting me down for my choices for no apparent reason. I certainly have not tried to sugarcoat my experience nor have I tried to sugarcoat what these online resellers are about but at the end of the day they aren't the crooks some would like to think they are. Once again, it's really about how you're treated over the phone and what they will offer you. We can end this at this point.
post #6944 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
when I bough mine, the only 4k tv was that one from sony with the ugly speakers on the sides. within about 10seconds of looking at the sony, it showed all the same issues I have with every other edgelit led. extra resolution or not, the problems with uniformity, motion, viewing angle all stem from the lcd panel and edgelighting, none of which 4k does anything to address.

so in my opinion, I'd stick with the f8500. but I haven't actually seen the hu8550 so I can't really be sure

as far as future-proofing goes, that's exactly why I bought the f8500. I fully expect it to be the 'best' tv until oled matures. I just don't see anything being made in the next few years that will beat the f8500, vt60, zt60, kuro, or even the st60 for that matter.
Yes, last year I would have bought the ST60 and not thought twice. but now that I'm spending another $1K, I have more options

This just seems to be a time time to buy a new TV
post #6945 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What you're explaining is a practice of misleading a consumer, not screwing them over. You're using the wrong terminology. You can only be screwed over after your money has been spent if you were told the wrong information. So, before the sale it's a misleading practice towards a consumer. After the sale the customer is screwed from misleading information.

Look, I would definitely like to keep this a civil conversation but please refrain from inadvertently calling me stupid, such as saying "you got lucky". I do know how to spend my money properly and I put in a lot of time making sure that it goes towards proper avenues and I don't make a practice of telling others they aren't spending their money in the fashion that I would consider being smart as you have towards me.

For the record, back in 2012 I purchased my Panasonic plasma from Abe's of Maine. Their customer service over the phone certainly could've been better but in the end I got a decent deal, they delivered the TV as promised with WGD. Other than price it's no different end result than if I had purchased it at Best Buy or any other "authorized" retailer. My Panasonic Plasma is working fine with the one year warranty it came with from Panasonic. So did I get lucky twice? I don't think so. I just understand how the sales game works with these places and I am prepared to deal with them. I also look at a lot of other factors such as if they are a member of the BBB or if they take Paypal and various other things before buying. They are not scam artist as you are putting it. I have said they are bait and switch but at the end of the day they are offering the same product for a better price and delivery than other retailers I have dealt with.

I was trying to help people here by sharing my experience (as what I thought this forum was all about) but you're putting me down for my choices for no apparent reason. I certainly have not tried to sugarcoat my experience nor have I tried to sugarcoat what these online resellers are about but at the end of the day they aren't the crooks some would like to think they are. Once again, it's really about how you're treated over the phone and what they will offer you. We can end this at this point.
look, I'm not here to debate the definition of being screwed, forget that, move on.

the point is, if the price is close, WHICH IS HAS BEEN FOR ME, I will always take the company that treats me right. you can do whatever you want to, but I'm not wasting my money either.

NOTHING I've said was intended to be personal, and especially not directed at you. I'm sorry if you took anything that way. my beef is, and has always been with the COMPANY, not their customers.

and yes, this forum is about helping others, that why after we explained how shady the company is, the poster was able to call them out on their LIE, and avoid getting SCREWED by having to pay for a service that does not exist. We helped him save 400bux, can't say I feel too bad about that...
Tony1 likes this.

Last edited by fierce_gt; 08-08-2014 at 11:22 AM.
post #6946 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 11:22 AM
SPJ

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone tried or had any luck getting Fry's to price match Abe's of Maine or Nice Electronics? I spoke with a Fry's representative and he indicated that neither website was on their official "Approved" or "Not Approved" list, so it would be the local managers decision.
post #6947 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
look, I'm not here to debate the definition of being screwed, forget that, move on.

the point is, if the price is close, WHICH IS HAS BEEN FOR ME, I will always take the company that treats me right. you can do whatever you want to, but I'm not wasting my money.
Once again, you're inadvertently insulting me suggesting that I am wasting my money. I'm done responding to you. You seem more angry than helpful here. And for the record, the price I spent wasn't close. I already told you multiple times but you're purposely ignoring it. I paid $2540 USD delivered for my 64F8500. Best Buy and other retailers would barely budge off the $3099 price and I would still have to pay tax on top of that. I didn't have to come here and inform anyone of my experience with these online resellers. I could've just ordered my TV and remained silent. I am trying to help people so they know what to expect especially if they are on a budget but want to buy such a fine TV as the F8500. You appear to be on a rampage about these companies and your entitled to your opinion but unless you have experience purchasing from them please do not insult others for deciding to do business with them. Adios.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #6948 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, last year I would have bought the ST60 and not thought twice. but now that I'm spending another $1K, I have more options

agreed. last year was a great time to need a new tv, so many great options.

this year is the worst. it seems like no matter what you do, you're buying the wrong one. you can overpay for oled that's too small and unproven. or you can overpay for UHD that's not even really UHD yet(just has the higher resolution, but not the more important benefits because those haven't even been determined yet). you could try to save money and buy a 1080p LED that won't even look good from the beginning. or you can test your luck with the ONLY remaining great plasma and hope it's strengths and weaknesses suit your needs.

it really is too bad Panasonic didn't keep making the st60 as is for the next 5yrs.

post #6949 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
Has anyone tried or had any luck getting Fry's to price match Abe's of Maine or Nice Electronics? I spoke with a Fry's representative and he indicated that neither website was on their official "Approved" or "Not Approved" list, so it would be the local managers decision.
While I don't think you're going to get a deal close to Abe's or Nice, Fry's Electronics is a good place and in my experience they are more willing to close the deal with the customer than Best Buy is. I would at least make an honest attempt to deal with the store manager on the day you're ready to buy.
post #6950 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:

The way technology advances, every year will have a better tv coming out. At some point you have to decide and be happy with your purchase that will last 5 years. Eventually you run into the issue, what do you do with your old tvs! In 4 years, I probably will upgrade to hopefully a great 4K OLED tv. I have no idea what I will do with my F8500 then. Not many people will want it, especially if 4K becomes widely adopted. I don't want to stick it in another room where it will collect dust.
post #6951 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
agreed. last year was a great time to need a new tv, so many great options.

this year is the worst. it seems like no matter what you do, you're buying the wrong one. you can overpay for oled that's too small and unproven. or you can overpay for UHD that's not even really UHD yet(just has the higher resolution, but not the more important benefits because those haven't even been determined yet). you could try to save money and buy a 1080p LED that won't even look good from the beginning. or you can test your luck with the ONLY remaining great plasma and hope it's strengths and weaknesses suit your needs.

it really is too bad Panasonic didn't keep making the st60 as is for the next 5yrs.
I almost bought one when they stopped production, but at the time we weren't going to finish the basement for 3-5 years, and my living room TV is directly scross from a bay window, so there would be too much daytime glare

Of course less than a year later here we are finishing the basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
The way technology advances, every year will have a better tv coming out. At some point you have to decide and be happy with your purchase that will last 5 years. Eventually you run into the issue, what do you do with your old tvs! In 4 years, I probably will upgrade to hopefully a great 4K OLED tv. I have no idea what I will do with my F8500 then. Not many people will want it, especially if 4K becomes widely adopted. I don't want to stick it in another room where it will collect dust.
I think if it was only 5 years I wouldn't worry too much, but it will probably be 10 years (assuming the Tv last that long)

my other problem is I don't even really have a place to put the TV till Oct/Nov. If I decide on the F8500, I would buy it next weekend (tax free in Mass) because I would be scared that I wouldn't be able to find one when I'm ready
post #6952 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
All this whining about "bait & switch" pricing seems a bit silly. These discount online retailers sound no different than car dealers. I know, I know, nobody likes car dealers or the car buying process, but it's because car dealers "fleece" or "up sell" some shoppers that other, more savvy shoppers can get better deals. I'd rather have that model - because I can take advantage of it - than a flat "everybody pays the same price" MSRP model.

So, retailers like Abes aren't "screwing" anybody with bait and switch pricing. A savvy consumer loses nothing but a few minutes of their time by calling, ascertaining the true price, doing a price comparison, and making a decision.

Now, of course, this assumes that these discount retailers are selling the same quality product (seems that they are), with the same warranty protection (that part gave me enough concern that I decided to pay Paul's a few hundred more). If they're misrepresenting these things, that would be screwing the customer.
post #6953 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Right, this seems like a good time for me to be replacing my old TV. I bought the f8500, the last great panel of a plasma technology that has essentially been ironed out in terms of standards, bugs, etc. for over a decade. And when it is time to replace in another 5-10 years, the dust and prices will have settled around 4k OLED or whatever the next best thing is.
post #6954 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Getting my F8500 delivered tomorrow -- anything I should check immediately while the delivery guy is still here (aside from obvious damage to the unit) in case I need to send it back with him?

Thanks for all your help everyone!
post #6955 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)

^ If we told you what to look and listen for once you turn on your set, you may dwell too long on the few negatives rather than the positives of this set. Obviously, you're aware of the plasma buzzing discussions on this forum....they are too many to elaborate on. You may not even notice it on your set. Also, this tv can be plagued by very faint, pinkish colored bands running horizontally across the tv on a white background. Some owners immediately want to trade their set in for another set, hoping to get one they can "live with", while others want to change the brand of their tv altogether. Then there's the majority of owners who couldn't be happier with their new 8500's.
post #6956 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post
All this whining about "bait & switch" pricing seems a bit silly. These discount online retailers sound no different than car dealers. I know, I know, nobody likes car dealers or the car buying process, but it's because car dealers "fleece" or "up sell" some shoppers that other, more savvy shoppers can get better deals. I'd rather have that model - because I can take advantage of it - than a flat "everybody pays the same price" MSRP model.

So, retailers like Abes aren't "screwing" anybody with bait and switch pricing. A savvy consumer loses nothing but a few minutes of their time by calling, ascertaining the true price, doing a price comparison, and making a decision.

Now, of course, this assumes that these discount retailers are selling the same quality product (seems that they are), with the same warranty protection (that part gave me enough concern that I decided to pay Paul's a few hundred more). If they're misrepresenting these things, that would be screwing the customer.
the example the sticks with me is the consumers that 'buy' the product for the advertised price, because it's cheaper than the competition, and then get a call a week later saying that price isn't the real price for whatever reason they decide to make up, and now the competition no longer has the better price.

the rest, yes, sketchy, maybe not the worst thing out there. but it doesn't mean it's harmless, and it doesn't mean it's right.

but they are misrepresenting many of their services. again, what's up with the $400 dollar fee for getting a 'Samsung panel'??

ignoring the times they DO screw over the consumer and focusing on the times they don't doesn't prove they aren't screwing over the consumer in general. and quick frankly, you won't know you've been screwed over most times anyway, that's how they get away with it.

post #6957 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
in all fairness, this hasn't been the case for years. manufacturers aren't really making better TV's, they are just making less expensive TV's.

look at the kuro's, some argue they still haven't been beaten. now that we're at a transition of the end of plasma, this is even more likely to happen imo. I remember when crt's 'died' and it was a LONG time before plasma was able to get close to crt in many important qualities.

oled is promising, but the market is scary, and I'm just not certain it will support oled, or at the very least do so fast enough that we have a few options for large UHD oled's in the next 5 yrs that aren't priced out of the market.

I would certainly argue, that there isn't a single sub $4k display on the market in 2014 that's better than the st60, vt60, zt60 or f8500. I don't expect that to change in 2015 either

post #6958 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeezie View Post
Getting my F8500 delivered tomorrow -- anything I should check immediately while the delivery guy is still here (aside from obvious damage to the unit) in case I need to send it back with him?

I would say it's a good idea to load up some solid color slides and just check for dead pixels. there's nothing really 'common' to look for on the f8500, so you just want to make sure it's working the way any tv should.

if you're really worried, check all the inputs too.

post #6959 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeezie View Post

Unless you paid for anything above White Glove Delivery (which entails taking the TV out of the box and plugging it in to verify if the cabinet and screen weren't cracked due to shipping and the TV fires up) such as a full setup chances are you will not be given an opportunity to check out for screen anomalies such as uniformity, faint discoloring, buzzing and such. If the TV fires up, the screen has no cracks, the cabinet isn't damaged the delivery people will immediately ask you to sign for the TV or they will take it back. They won't wait around for you to verify imperfections. You have to either refuse delivery or deal with the manufacturer for imperfections with PQ. In short, don't worry about it. Just enjoy your TV over the weekend. Spend time watching some great movies on it rather than searching for what's wrong.
post #6960 of 9943 Old 08-08-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
in all fairness, this hasn't been the case for years. manufacturers aren't really making better TV's, they are just making less expensive TV's.

look at the kuro's, some argue they still haven't been beaten. now that we're at a transition of the end of plasma, this is even more likely to happen imo. I remember when crt's 'died' and it was a LONG time before plasma was able to get close to crt in many important qualities.

oled is promising, but the market is scary, and I'm just not certain it will support oled, or at the very least do so fast enough that we have a few options for large UHD oled's in the next 5 yrs that aren't priced out of the market.

I would certainly argue, that there isn't a single sub $4k display on the market in 2014 that's better than the st60, vt60, zt60 or f8500. I don't expect that to change in 2015 either
That may be true, but when 1080p came along, there was a rapid and massive advancement in quality. I sense the same will happen with 4K.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page