Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 233 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6961 of 7589 Old 08-08-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
That may be true, but when 1080p came along, there was a rapid and massive advancement in quality. I sense the same will happen with 4K.
you may be right. I tend to remember it differently though. I had a 720p/1080i CRT RPTV, and when 1080p came about I replaced it with a 'better' 1080p plasma and quickly realized resolution meant very little. it wasn't until I got my f8500 last year that I truly felt I 'upgraded' from that old crt. and to be fair, it really wasn't until the st60 that there was actually a better all around tv, including price.

my concern is that the difference between display technologies will be greater than the improvement we see from a new UHD standard. oled could be the only saying grace, it looks like it could actually be an improvement in technology AND allow for the improvement with the new UHD standard.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6962 of 7589 Old 08-08-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Unless you paid for anything above White Glove Delivery (which entails taking the TV out of the box and plugging it in to verify if the cabinet and screen weren't cracked due to shipping and the TV fires up) such as a full setup chances are you will not be given an opportunity to check out for screen anomalies such as uniformity, faint discoloring, buzzing and such. If the TV fires up, the screen has no cracks, the cabinet isn't damaged the delivery people will immediately ask you to sign for the TV or they will take it back. They won't wait around for you to verify imperfections. You have to either refuse delivery or deal with the manufacturer for imperfections with PQ. In short, don't worry about it. Just enjoy your TV over the weekend. Spend time watching some great movies on it rather than searching for what's wrong.
not always the case. and $20 bucks can often go a long way, haha.

but yes, you can't EXPECT them to stick around and wait. they may if you ask, but it's only the delivery guys doing you a favour, it's not usually expected of them. but then again, if you've ordered from a respectable place, returns should be a breeze. fortunately I had no issues with my f8500, but the last time I bought a tv I ended up exchanging it 4 times until I found a suitable tv(lesson I learned from that was I shouldn't buy any edgelit led ever again, haha). the chances of something being defective are pretty slim anyway, so like above said, don't worry about it, enjoy the TV. don't go hunting for problems or your likely to find them(even when they aren't there). you've got a year from Samsung, if something's going to go wrong, it will within that year.

post #6963 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Once again, you're inadvertently insulting me suggesting that I am wasting my money. I'm done responding to you. You seem more angry than helpful here. And for the record, the price I spent wasn't close. I already told you multiple times but you're purposely ignoring it. I paid $2540 USD delivered for my 64F8500. Best Buy and other retailers would barely budge off the $3099 price and I would still have to pay tax on top of that. I didn't have to come here and inform anyone of my experience with these online resellers. I could've just ordered my TV and remained silent. I am trying to help people so they know what to expect especially if they are on a budget but want to buy such a fine TV as the F8500. You appear to be on a rampage about these companies and your entitled to your opinion but unless you have experience purchasing from them please do not insult others for deciding to do business with them. Adios.
Appreciate the feedback and sharing your experiences with the forum. So based on your experience with Nice Electronics, and MBeezie with East Coast, as long as we're aware of the sales process, pricing and "up-sells", these online retailers should not be discounted (no pun intended) for great discounts on electronics. Furthermore if the manufacturers warranty are still valid, I feel much better about paying $199 for WGS while saving about $700 overall (incl. tax) on a reference quality plasma.
KONICA TECH and HLdan like this.
post #6964 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does anyone have a link handy to some good calibration settings for this TV? I just received it and in looks phenomenal even in a really bright room with 3 huge windows without curtains on them yet (they are coming tomorrow). I played a few movie trailers on YouTube and watched a few minutes of a Netflix show -- it just looks amazing, even streaming content.
post #6965 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Mbeezie take a look at the calibration/settings thread there are more than a few posts in there
post #6966 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pricing question. When I see two prices on a site like Abe's of Maine or Nice Electronics for the same item, is the lower-priced one assumed to be a gray market version, with no Samsung warranty? The description doesn't say much about this. But there are differences. The more expensive one on Abe's says "Brand New USA 1 Year in home warranty, Latest 2014 Model , White Glove delivery Included, 4 pairs of 3D glasses included". The less expensive only says "Brand New, Limited USA Warranty, Additional Shipping Insurance charges may apply". So the huge price difference has 3D glasses, white glove delivery, and some BS about the 2014 panel. Nice Electronics doesn't even address this. But they state 2013 (for the cheaper one) and 2014 "SAMSUNG PANEL INCLUDED" (for the more expensive one). That sounds deceptive, unless they hired the Chinese to make a clone of the panel. So, gray market here too? Just trying to wade through this and see what's what. I have not bought from places like this before.
post #6967 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPython View Post
Pricing question. When I see two prices on a site like Abe's of Maine or Nice Electronics for the same item, is the lower-priced one assumed to be a gray market version, with no Samsung warranty? The description doesn't say much about this. But there are differences. The more expensive one on Abe's says "Brand New USA 1 Year in home warranty, Latest 2014 Model , White Glove delivery Included, 4 pairs of 3D glasses included". The less expensive only says "Brand New, Limited USA Warranty, Additional Shipping Insurance charges may apply". So the huge price difference has 3D glasses, white glove delivery, and some BS about the 2014 panel. Nice Electronics doesn't even address this. But they state 2013 (for the cheaper one) and 2014 "SAMSUNG PANEL INCLUDED" (for the more expensive one). That sounds deceptive, unless they hired the Chinese to make a clone of the panel. So, gray market here too? Just trying to wade through this and see what's what. I have not bought from places like this before.
chances are the lower priced one doesn't even exist. if you order it, they will call you back and explain for one reason or another, why you can not order that one, and it'll be $XX more to buy the tv.

post #6968 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Once again, you're inadvertently insulting me suggesting that I am wasting my money. I'm done responding to you. You seem more angry than helpful here. And for the record, the price I spent wasn't close. I already told you multiple times but you're purposely ignoring it. I paid $2540 USD delivered for my 64F8500. Best Buy and other retailers would barely budge off the $3099 price and I would still have to pay tax on top of that. I didn't have to come here and inform anyone of my experience with these online resellers. I could've just ordered my TV and remained silent. I am trying to help people so they know what to expect especially if they are on a budget but want to buy such a fine TV as the F8500. You appear to be on a rampage about these companies and your entitled to your opinion but unless you have experience purchasing from them please do not insult others for deciding to do business with them. Adios.
I missed this post until I saw somebody else quote it.

I can't keep apologizing for stuff I'm not doing, if you mis-quote me and then take offence to what wasn't actually said, I can't help that.

i'll try to make this as clear as possible. I do NOT have a problem with you, your experience, or the way you buy products. I DO have a problem with abe's, eastcoast, etc for the way they treat average customers, and their sales tactics.

in your experience, you got a better deal, in my experience I would not have. you 'saved' 500 or 600bux, I managed to get 950 off list price with another company. unfortunately it's difficult to compare exact prices due to different markets, and perhaps that why you found nice or whoever it was to be a better price. up here, best buy is not the big guy, and definitely not the only option to buy the f8500 from, and perhaps that's why more ppl are willing to deal.

anyway, I'm glad you're happy with the experience and all that. but you unfortunately aren't the average consumer, which often does let these sketchy companies overcharge them in the end. kudos to you for not falling for it. shame on them for trying it.

Last edited by fierce_gt; 08-09-2014 at 10:40 AM.
post #6969 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please take a look at the previous few pages regarding "model year". As fR as the differences it appears that they included white glove delivery and some add ons. What comes with the sets is most likely identical however they are listing some things as "extra" to try to get you to pay more. It pays to be informed in these situations.
post #6970 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Please take a look at the previous few pages regarding "model year". As fR as the differences it appears that they included white glove delivery and some add ons. What comes with the sets is most likely identical however they are listing some things as "extra" to try to get you to pay more. It pays to be informed in these situations.
Yes, I realize it comes with extras. I pointed it out to show that some price difference was justified. I also pointed out the model year thing because I had read on this forum that there is no difference, adding to the deceptive practice thing. I was trying to figure out if the cheaper one was a gray market (no USA warranty) or some claimed "commercial version", as I have read on other sites (there is no commercial version... if a company uses a particular consumer model, the warranty is reduced to 90 days). By asking these questions, I am doing exactly as you suggest... getting informed... by people who have been through it before.
post #6971 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I realize it comes with extras. I pointed it out to show that some price difference was justified. I also pointed out the model year thing because I had read on this forum that there is no difference, adding to the deceptive practice thing. I was trying to figure out if the cheaper one was a gray market (no USA warranty) or some claimed "commercial version", as I have read on other sites (there is no commercial version... if a company uses a particular consumer model, the warranty is reduced to 90 days). By asking these questions, I am doing exactly as you suggest... getting informed... by people who have been through it before.

They would both technically be grey market. They are just trying to "justify" a higher price with the supposed "special" add ons.
post #6972 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
it's too bad you can't just ask the company selling these TV's and find out... oh, that's right, they LIE

if the higher price is still cheaper, try ordering one and see what happens. I just wouldn't count on that cheap one actually being 'available' to you for the price listed. the only legitimate reason I'd accept for the price difference is what's 'packaged' in with it(in which case get the cheap one if you don't need those extra products/services), or one of them is refurb'd.

post #6973 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
it's too bad you can't just ask the company selling these TV's and find out... oh, that's right, they LIE

if the higher price is still cheaper, try ordering one and see what happens. I just wouldn't count on that cheap one actually being 'available' to you for the price listed. the only legitimate reason I'd accept for the price difference is what's 'packaged' in with it(in which case get the cheap one if you don't need those extra products/services), or one of them is refurb'd.
I hear ya, and I tend to agree. Very shady stuff. I'm leaning towards avoiding them and the hassle associated with them. I've been reading sites like this one, and the whole bait and switch, not getting what was ordered, etc., etc. is all described there too. Sounds like more confirmation of the lowered priced ones are never in stock, or are "imported", and don't come with a USA warranty, have a "shipping insurance" charge upwards of $250, that is "standard for the business", etc. They obviously don't believe in full disclosure.
post #6974 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I hear ya, and I tend to agree. Very shady stuff. I'm leaning towards avoiding them and the hassle associated with them. I've been reading sites like this one, and the whole bait and switch, not getting what was ordered, etc., etc. is all described there too. Sounds like more confirmation of the lowered priced ones are never in stock, or are "imported", and don't come with a USA warranty, have a "shipping insurance" charge upwards of $250, that is "standard for the business", etc. They obviously don't believe in full disclosure.
They just aint worth the effort
post #6975 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooknl View Post
They just aint worth the effort
Well I disagree. I had no issues. Unless people here have purchasing experience with these places, have been scammed by them, took delivery of something different than described, received a used product that was advertised as new, charged you for delivery services that weren't fulfilled then I think people are in the wrong place to tell people to just avoid them.

I'm really baffled how myself and another member have stated multiple times that we didn't have the awful experience that some people here are trying to throw out there. Our posts keep getting ignored or told we were just lucky which is insulting. Seems as though the negative posts have more buying power here than members who post good customer experiences. Virtually every place authorized or not tells slight untruths about either the product or the warranty. Either they don't know what they are talking about or they are making it up as they go along.

That's been my experience with Best Buy and many other so-called authorized resellers.

I wasn't thrilled that Cleveland Plasma (a place that seems to have a good rep around here) couldn't even guareantee me white glove delivery even if I offered to pay extra for it. To me that's not good service. They told me it's a 50/50 chance the TV would just be dropped off at my doorstep only.

Frys Electronics (another reputable and authorized dealer) has very lazy employees and they all but force the extended warranty down the customer's throat. If you say you don't want to pay for it they will find a way to throw it in so they can get commissioned for it.

Paul's TV seemed to be the most professional of the stores I've dealt with but they didn't have anymore 64" 8500's left and the price of their 60" would've been more than what I paid for my 8500 with WGD. So even if Paul's TV had the 64" in stock what the heck would I be actually getting buying it there rather than Nice Electronics other than a more professional salesperson? I would've paid more money and for what?

Every place reputable or not is going to throw some kind of curveball sales tactic whether it be pushing extended warranties, charging deliveries at high costs, having uneducated salespeople on the floor that aren't telling the truth about the manufacturers warranty or the product itself and even worse forgetting that the customer even exists after they've got your money.

I'm only saying is unless people have purchasing experience with these online resellers don't make them out to be scammers when these so-called "authorized" retailers aren't much better. There's always going to a headache in purchasing high-ticket items whether it be home entertainment electronics, cars, homes etc. All these headaches can easily be avoided if we all just pay full price from the start. It's certainly worth getting through a few hurdles to get a price I can afford if the end result will be the same.

Last edited by HLdan; 08-09-2014 at 04:26 PM.
post #6976 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good points hldan, except the overall point to me is not just the final price, it is the homework and effective negotiation techniques employed when making a purchase. If correctly done, it should not matter where you buy an item if you base your purchase on criteria such as customer service, warranty, return policy, price, etc.

If you don't do your homework and get burned, it is hard to blame anyone but yourself. As you said, paying full or a higher price does not guarantee a trouble free transaction.

Dave
post #6977 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
again, I would just base the decision on the higher priced one as that's likely the price you'll end up paying. if that price is still worth the risk, that's up to you. it's not like they are selling knock offs. just don't get sucked in by the lower price thinking you'll actually get it for that much.

Quote:
Well I disagree. I had no issues. Unless people here have purchasing experience with these places, have been scammed by them, took delivery of something different than described, received a used product that was advertised as new, charged you for delivery services that weren't fulfilled then I think people are in the wrong place to tell people to just avoid them.
I hear ya, and respect this statement. but I also like to learn from OTHERS mistakes if possible. I've read enough to know to stay away. I don't think you have to get burned personally to help others avoid issues. I've never electrocuted myself, but I will still tell ppl to turn off the breaker before doing wiring...

BUT, I guess it must be possible to get what you want if you are willing to make sure. be knowledgeable and hold firm to whatever agreements regarding price/shipping etc were made. basically just don't let them talk you out of any more money, because they will try.

post #6978 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm really baffled how myself and another member have stated multiple times that we didn't have the awful experience that some people here are trying to throw out there. Our posts keep getting ignored or told we were just lucky which is insulting. Seems as though the negative posts have more buying power here than members who post good customer experiences. Virtually every place authorized or not tells slight untruths about either the product or the warranty. Either they don't know what they are talking about or they are making it up as they go along.

That's been my experience with Best Buy and many other so-called authorized resellers.

I wasn't thrilled that Cleveland Plasma (a place that seems to have a good rep around here) couldn't even guareantee me white glove delivery even if I offered to pay extra for it. To me that's not good service. They told me it's a 50/50 chance the TV would just be dropped off at my doorstep only.

Frys Electronics (another reputable and authorized dealer) has very lazy employees and they all but force the extended warranty down the customer's throat. If you say you don't want to pay for it they will find a way to throw it in so they can get commissioned for it.

Paul's TV seemed to be the most professional of the stores I've dealt with but they didn't have anymore 64" 8500's left and the price of their 60" would've been more than what I paid for my 8500 with WGD. So even if Paul's TV had the 64" in stock what the heck would I be actually getting buying it there rather than Nice Electronics other than a more professional salesperson? I would've paid more money and for what?

Every place reputable or not is going to throw some kind of curveball sales tactic whether it be pushing extended warranties, charging deliveries at high costs, having uneducated salespeople on the floor that aren't telling the truth about the manufacturers warranty or the product itself and even worse forgetting that the customer even exists after they've got your money.

I'm only saying is unless people have purchasing experience with these online resellers don't make them out to be scammers when these so-called "authorized" retailers aren't much better. There's always going to a headache in purchasing high-ticket items whether it be home entertainment electronics, cars, homes etc. All these headaches can easily be avoided if we all just pay full price from the start. It's certainly worth getting through a few hurdles to get a price I can afford if the end result will be the same.
you know what, after reading this whole post, I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from now.

from what you've described as your alternatives, I get it. they suck too, and all more expensive. my apologies, I guess I assumed too much. locally there's a half dozen or so shops where I can walk in, chat with sales people that know they are talking about, get demos, even have them move TV's side by side so I can compare them, and when it comes down to deal time they will match anything else you can find out there. I didn't realize how well I had it I guess, I thought those specialty shops were still around all over. if bestbuy is the 'most reputable' shop you've got, yeah, I don't blame you one bit then. I would never buy a tv from best buy here, way too expensive, and the staff doesn't have a clue(half of them are ex-students of mine that barely passed grade 9 science... haha)

so, I get it now. with the options you've described, I would probably have done the same thing you did.
HLdan likes this.

post #6979 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How do I customize the inputs?
post #6980 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
You can turn on MJC for sports to see if you like that, but I watched hall of fame game on sunday and it looked great with it off. Sports use digital cameras and NFL uses 30fps which has less judder. NHL is the best because they use 60fps cameras, which produces a near perfect picture.
Cable channels are broadcast at either 720p59.94 or 1080i29.97 (when deinterlaced it becomes 59.94 fps). There should be no noticeable difference in motion performance.
post #6981 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Cable channels are broadcast at either 720p59.94 or 1080i29.97 (when deinterlaced it becomes 59.94 fps). There should be no noticeable difference in motion performance.
ATSC can be 24, 30, or 60fps at 60hz. So it can vary from one station to another depending on what format.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC

Last edited by wxman; 08-09-2014 at 09:23 PM.
post #6982 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
ATSC can be 24, 30, or 60fps at 60hz. So it can vary from one station to another depending on what format.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC
There are 59.94 fields per second in a 1080i29.97 signal. Once deinterlaced you get 59.94 fps. The motion performance is the same for sporting events, it's just a different method of getting there.
http://scanline.ca/deinterlacing/

Quote:
What is the difference between interlaced and progressive video?

People often state that NTSC is 29.97 frames per second and PAL is 25 frames per second. However, both of these formats are interlaced, and so these numbers only describe the amount of data, not the visible output framerate. Interlaced video is actually a sequence of fields. A field is half of the scanlines of a full image, either all of the even scanlines (0, 2, 4, ...) or the odd scanlines (1, 3, 5, ...) of potentially an individual and unique image. Therefore, it is better to say that NTSC is 59.94 fields per second, and PAL is 50 fields per second.

One way to think about interlaced video is to picture a camera that captures at 59.94 frames per second, but only stores half of the scanlines from each frame, and switches between storing the even scanlines to storing the odd scanlines. I find this analogy very helpful when thinking about motion in interlaced video sequences.

Interlacing is a very effective form of compression. The human eye is less sensitive to high frequency motion. Consider a spinning bycicle wheel: at sufficient speeds your eye cannot distinguish the individual spokes. With interlaced video, if you rapidly switch between seeing the even scanlines and seeing the odd scanlines, the image will appear whole. Interlacing uses this to achieve 59.94fps video in the bandwidth of a 29.97fps sequence.

Progresive video, the opposite of interlaced video, is when every frame contains all of its scanlines. It's called progressive because the image progresses all the way from the first scanline to the last scanline without skipping any.
post #6983 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayertonsenna View Post
How do I customize the inputs?
rename them?

you have to hit 'source' then scroll up to 'tools', select 'rename input' and then select whatever name you want.

post #6984 of 7589 Old 08-09-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
There are 59.94 fields per second in a 1080i29.97 signal. Once deinterlaced you get 59.94 fps. The motion performance is the same for sporting events, it's just a different method of getting there.
http://scanline.ca/deinterlacing/
I agree with you. However, NHL took it to another level. As of December of 2012, they started showing their games at 60fps. Not deinterlaced to 60fps. The difference was huge and everyone noticed it right away. It was like night and day watching the puck slide across the ice. No blur or judder whatsover. Now that I have the OPPO 103D, and my DirecTV box connected to it, it's even better as the OPPO takes the 720p feed and 1080i feed and converts them all to a 1080p60 image before going to tv. The improvement is noticeable.

Last edited by wxman; 08-10-2014 at 12:37 AM.
post #6985 of 7589 Old 08-10-2014, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
rename them?

you have to hit 'source' then scroll up to 'tools', select 'rename input' and then select whatever name you want.
Thanks - so it appears I'm limited to the choices Samsung has provided. I can't type in a custom name, or can I?
post #6986 of 7589 Old 08-10-2014, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm really tempted to move to one of these from the 65X950B Sony 4K. I just wanted to verify a couple of things. Are there any issues with grey screen uniformity / streaking / banding on these sets? Has anyone played MLB 14 The Show on one? How is the input lag for hitting when not in PC mode.

Thanks guys,

Y2J
post #6987 of 7589 Old 08-10-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayertonsenna View Post
Thanks - so it appears I'm limited to the choices Samsung has provided. I can't type in a custom name, or can I?
gotta use their names

post #6988 of 7589 Old 08-10-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
I'm really tempted to move to one of these from the 65X950B Sony 4K. I just wanted to verify a couple of things. Are there any issues with grey screen uniformity / streaking / banding on these sets? Has anyone played MLB 14 The Show on one? How is the input lag for hitting when not in PC mode.

Thanks guys,

Y2J
while I don't experience any of those, some ppl have complained about banding.

lag when not in game or pc mode is pretty bad. but pq when in game or pc mode is still really good.

post #6989 of 7589 Old 08-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
you know what, after reading this whole post, I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from now.

from what you've described as your alternatives, I get it. they suck too, and all more expensive. my apologies, I guess I assumed too much. locally there's a half dozen or so shops where I can walk in, chat with sales people that know they are talking about, get demos, even have them move TV's side by side so I can compare them, and when it comes down to deal time they will match anything else you can find out there. I didn't realize how well I had it I guess, I thought those specialty shops were still around all over. if bestbuy is the 'most reputable' shop you've got, yeah, I don't blame you one bit then. I would never buy a tv from best buy here, way too expensive, and the staff doesn't have a clue(half of them are ex-students of mine that barely passed grade 9 science... haha)

so, I get it now. with the options you've described, I would probably have done the same thing you did.
Thank you very much. I think I remember you saying you live in Canada? You probably have more choices to buy electronics there. Shameful but the U.S. had an abundance of electronics stores 15 years ago. We had many options and competition was much higher so getting a great deal at a reputable store with good customer service was much easier. Fast forward today almost all of the big box stores have closed down due to online resellers taking their business such as Amazon. That leaves us with Best Buy and a couple of other smaller places. The big box store moral has gone down due to online pricing so commissions are tight and stores aren't willing to budge and good customer service is spotty. This leaves us (people in the U.S) to search online to make purchases. Heck, the Ebay company is only 45 minutes away from where I live. I live close to the silicon valley and almost everything is dealt online here. The even sadder part is since we don't have much in the way of local stores Walmart and Target are starting to sell products I would've never thought of such as Bose and Apple. I couldn't bare the thought if Samsung decided to offer the F8500 at Walmart. Thanks for your reply.
post #6990 of 7589 Old 08-10-2014, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
No; you don't have to be ripped off to smell a rip-off in the making and warn others. It's funny how people will defend the decision to support such places with comments about "informed buyers", but that's a tacit admission that a less-informed buyer is going to be cheated. There's a huge difference between honest salesmanship and deception, and I'm frustrated that people conflate the two.

But, if you're OK with that sort of injustice, I can't convince you that supporting such business is wrong (not just less than ideal, but actively wrong).
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page