Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 237 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7081 of 8318 Old 08-14-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post
Not sure where, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that the 3d glasses were bluetooth.

The 3D glasses that came with my 8500 (SSG-5100GB) are indeed bluetooth enabled glasses. Samsung started making bluetooth glasses back in 2011. In addition, the smart remote uses bluetooth to communicate to the 8500. You can also purchase other bluetooth devices, such as a keyboard, mouse, or compatible bluetooth audio device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7082 of 8318 Old 08-14-2014, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
The 3D glasses that came with my 8500 (SSG-5100GB) are indeed bluetooth enabled glasses. Samsung started making bluetooth glasses back in 2011. In addition, the smart remote uses bluetooth to communicate to the 8500. You can also purchase other bluetooth devices, such as a keyboard, mouse, or compatible bluetooth audio device.
With this information is it safe for me to assume the left bottom corner with the small "window" is the IR receiver for IR remotes?
post #7083 of 8318 Old 08-14-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentium7 View Post
With this information is it safe for me to assume the left bottom corner with the small "window" is the IR receiver for IR remotes?

The info I provided neither substantiates nor negates the presence/location of infrared capability of the 8500. I know there is an IR extender provided with your tv, but not positive where that technology exists on the tv.
post #7084 of 8318 Old 08-14-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnrok23 View Post
dumb question, did the mount come included?
The Fan AF0007 has it's own stand. This you see at the top (Fan is mounted Upside down). A long black wire's ends were attached through the vent holes, 3" apart, then the loop wrapped around the stand itself. Simple. (Except for the fun of getting the ends in and out. A U hook on the wire end, patience, and voila - wire end attached.)
Ragnrok23 and Bobby244 like this.
post #7085 of 8318 Old 08-14-2014, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Try this

1. Turn the TV off and unplug the TV.
2. Unplug all HDMI cords from the TV.
3. Plug tv back in.
4. On the standard remote control, press Mute, 1, 8, 2, Power. It takes a few seconds and then the service menu should appear. If nothing appears, then you know it's your tv. Turn tv off.
Unfortunately, this did not work. No menu showed up. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
it seems highly unlikely this was accidentally enabled, but when I read the description it was too much of a coincidence not to point it out.

Picture off: The TV screen is tuned off but audio continues. Press any key(except Power and Volume buttons) on your remote to turn the screen back on.

I can't imagine it wouldn't come back on if you unplug the tv though. just thought it was interesting that you mentioned trying both the power buttons and changing the volume.

worst case, this is exactly what warranties are for. sucks that you have to go through Samsung, but it'll be worth it in the end.

anyway, I would definitely try the procedure mentioned in the above post. there does seem to be some benefit to power cycling these TV's, much like restarting a computer. sometimes it 'fixes' things that 'just happen for no reason'.
I got an email from Samsung about my repair request saying that my TV is "outside of the warranty".

What the heck? The TV has a manufacture date of 6/2014 and a purchase date of 8/2014...I will call them but is there any way it is actually outside of the warranty?
post #7086 of 8318 Old 08-14-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post
Not sure where, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that the 3d glasses were bluetooth.
even if they were, my post would still 'accidentally' help him do the right thing. bt or rf don't require line of sight, so he's fine covering up the ir window with the emitter

but they are RF: http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/t.../SSG-5100GB/XC

I can also had that the Samsung glasses work flawlessly with the RF emitter on my jvc projector, and the jvc glasses work flawlessly with the F8500.

the tv has BT, but I've never seen anywhere that said the 3D glasses used it, and from what I recall, my remote required line of sight to operate(which I only remember because the sales staff said I wouldn't since it's BT, but maybe ONLY the trackpad is BT?).

I'm quite certain the little window on the bottom left corner is where the IR receiver is, and there is not emitter attached to the tv. it does come with an emitter that you can plug into the tv, but that's for controlling your cable box or something, not for the 3D glasses. there is supposedly a light sensor somewhere on the tv as well, it may be located in that same location, but unless you're using the 'auto' setting for black optimizer or the eco sensor feature, it won't matter if its covered up anyway.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One

Last edited by fierce_gt; 08-14-2014 at 12:32 PM.
post #7087 of 8318 Old 08-14-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeezie View Post

I got an email from Samsung about my repair request saying that my TV is "outside of the warranty".

What the heck? The TV has a manufacture date of 6/2014 and a purchase date of 8/2014...I will call them but is there any way it is actually outside of the warranty?
Did you register your tv on their website? If not, do that, and then call them again.
post #7088 of 8318 Old 08-14-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Did you register your tv on their website? If not, do that, and then call them again.
Yes, I registered it on their site prior to submitting the request. On their site, the manufacture date is 6/30/2014.
post #7089 of 8318 Old 08-14-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

remember when we had that argument about whether or not a customer was getting 'screwed' if they managed to get the tv they expected for less money. this might be proof...

honestly, I can't think of any reason why it SHOULD be out of warranty. if you just bought it, and it came with warranty, it makes no sense. unfortunately, I don't trust eastcoast, at all, so it wouldn't shock me if they've done something that has caused this. if the tv was already sold once, registered, and then returned, or if it wasn't an 'authorized' unit to begin with, and they failed to make that clear.

I really hope it's just a mistake on Samsung's end that you can clear up. but this is exactly why many of us were saying it was worth spending a couple bux more to buy from a respectable dealer. If you'd bought this from a good store, you'd have simply exchanged the tv and be enjoying the new one by now.

post #7090 of 8318 Old 08-14-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I registered it on their site prior to submitting the request. On their site, the manufacture date is 6/30/2014.
Call them. You are definitely not outside the warranty. All I can think is the place you bought it from was not an authorized Samsung retailer. But that should not matter.
post #7091 of 8318 Old 08-14-2014, 12:30 PM

i mean from East Coast it's advertised as brand new, with a full manufacturer's warranty for 1 year. Sure, you lose the convenience of taking it back to a big box store, but I think this is Samsung's issue and I will call about it. If not, lesson learned.
post #7092 of 8318 Old 08-14-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i mean from East Coast it's advertised as brand new, with a full manufacturer's warranty for 1 year. Sure, you lose the convenience of taking it back to a big box store, but I think this is Samsung's issue and I will call about it. If not, lesson learned.
hopefully! and that SHOULD be the case.

I'm just saying, from the stories I've heard from EC customers, it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to pass off returned/refurb's as brand new, hoping you wouldn't have a problem and notice, and if you did they'd claim it was a harmless mistake and they'll fix it.

but definitely follow up with Samsung first and get all the facts from them, since you can actually trust them. and if, on the slight chance, there is actually an issue with your warranty, then you have the documentation to raise hell with eastcoast. there's no grey area here, if they advertised and sold you a 'brand new with 1yr warranty' tv, and you didn't receive that, they are legally obligated.

either way, you SHOULD be protected, it's just a matter of how much of a pain it's going to be on your end.
wxman likes this.

post #7093 of 8318 Old 08-14-2014, 12:42 PM

Sorry for derailing this thread everyone. Will follow up with Samsung and try to make some sense out of this whole disaster. I don't think ECTV would have even had enough time to repackage a refurb since it was built so recently. But, we'll see.
post #7094 of 8318 Old 08-14-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

but they are RF: http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/t.../SSG-5100GB/XC

I can also had that the Samsung glasses work flawlessly with the RF emitter on my jvc projector, and the jvc glasses work flawlessly with the F8500.

the tv has BT, but I've never seen anywhere that said the 3D glasses used it, and from what I recall, my remote required line of sight to operate(which I only remember because the sales staff said I wouldn't since it's BT, but maybe ONLY the trackpad is BT?).

Samsung's active 3D glasses use Bluetooth technology. You could say RF, since Bluetooth uses the 2.4 GHz radio frequency spectrum.

http://www.samsung.com/us/3D/

Last edited by DanF8500; 08-14-2014 at 01:30 PM.
post #7095 of 8318 Old 08-14-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Samsung's active 3D glasses use Bluetooth technology. You could say RF, since Bluetooth uses the 2.4 GHz radio frequency spectrum.

http://www.samsung.com/us/3D/
I was almost going to ask if BT was just a specific type of RF. that must be the case then. cause it clearly states RF on all the info I've seen

post #7096 of 8318 Old 08-14-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry for derailing this thread everyone. Will follow up with Samsung and try to make some sense out of this whole disaster. I don't think ECTV would have even had enough time to repackage a refurb since it was built so recently. But, we'll see.
my thought was more that Samsung sold ECTV units that had been returned to them(Samsung) that most distributors would list as refurbs or b-stock or something and sell for a heavy discount because they only get a 30day warranty or something.

still, this seems pretty unlikely, so hopefully Samsung just figures it out and takes care of you

post #7097 of 8318 Old 08-15-2014, 06:16 AM

Called Samsung, they verified i have a warranty until next august and ran through some quick troubleshooting steps with me which verified it needs to be repaired. The repair people should call me today to set up an appointment. She didn't know why I was emailed saying it was out of the warranty period and apologized. Phew.

Hopefully they can get out here soon.
cyberized, Ph8te and HLdan like this.
post #7098 of 8318 Old 08-15-2014, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Called Samsung, they verified i have a warranty until next august and ran through some quick troubleshooting steps with me which verified it needs to be repaired. The repair people should call me today to set up an appointment. She didn't know why I was emailed saying it was out of the warranty period and apologized. Phew.

I've been negative toward ECTV, but this isn't a problem unique to them. In my line of work, we see this kind of mistake periodically, whether dealing directly with the 1st party or through a reseller. Sometimes, the sale doesn't record, and the warranty status is bogus. Sometimes, the system requires a tech to manually re-enter the serial number in another window, and they fat-finger it. Sometimes the Monday Fairy comes on the wrong day. Pick up the phone and talk to a human, problem solved. Most of the time.
post #7099 of 8318 Old 08-15-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Hi, I just got here to catch up on some reading. When you registered you Display on Samsung website, you should of gotten a email telling you to retain this for your records.
I can see now that everything looks good for you, now that Samsung has agreed it is under warranty. I am so glad this worked out for you.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #7100 of 8318 Old 08-15-2014, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

I am happy for you that it worked out. I was 100% certain it had nothing to do with where you bought it because I had no issues with my warranty registration at all. I even got the email registration confirmation and called Samsung and verified my F8500's serial number was under warranty for 1 year and it is.

For the others here who hate these 3rd party online resellers, you're entitled to your opinion but please do not look for everything small that happens (such as a lack-of-warranty email that was sent in error) to someone here and immediately place blame towards where they bought it. We are all entitled to purchase from any place we please. Not everybody here has deep pockets and/or has multiple choices of where we can get deals from. I'd be hard pressed to believe that most people here would prefer to pay full retail over some sort of deal. So please be kind and stop beating this dead horse. Unless someone asks of someone's opinion about these places please do not immediately knee-jerk against the retailer when something small comes up. mbeezie's issue was immediately solved. It was just an email error.
StinDaWg and mhanism like this.

Last edited by HLdan; 08-15-2014 at 09:18 AM.
post #7101 of 8318 Old 08-15-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

good to hear. this was the most likely scenario(Samsung confused your warranty) but it's still nerve-racking to start thinking of possible reasons why it might not be.

anyway, hopefully it all works out for you now, and sorry about your bad luck to have to deal with it.

post #7102 of 8318 Old 08-15-2014, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am ready to buy a 60F8500 Question now is where. I was considering Nice or EC but after reading this off of Samsung's site it seems buying from a non authorized dealer:
THIS WARRANTY IS NOT APPLICABLE IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING CASES: See #3

Product Warranty Guide

Product Warranty Period Part Not Covered CTV/LCD/PDP/LED/PJTV- TELEVISIONS 1 Year (Distributor Warranty) Camcorder Accessories / Battery Washing Machine Outer still casing / Top lid Microwave Oven Main door / Door Plastic Audio / DVD Connector & Accessories Refrigerator 1 Year(Distributor Warranty)
Compressor - 5 Years (Distributor Warranty) Plastic / Glassware / Bulb AIR Conditioners 1 Year
Compressor - 5 Years (Distributor Warranty) Plastic / Filters GSM Mobile Phones GSM : 12 Months(Distributor Warranty)
(Battery 6 months) Laser Printer 1 Year from the date of purchase Consumables Monitors 24 months from date of purchase ( for 15" CDT monitors).
(Distributor Warranty)
36 months from date of purchase (for 17" or greater CDT monitors and all LCD-TFT monitors).
(Distributor Warranty) Cables & Batteries
  1. This warranty is confined to the first purchaser of the product only.
  2. Repair or replacement will be carried out through the Company's Service Centres (Refer the list) or it's Authorised Service Centres or it's Dealer's Service Centres.
  3. In the event of repairs/replacement of any part/s of the unit, this warranty will thereafter continue and remain in force for the unexpired period of the warranty. Moreover, the time taken for repair/replacement and in transit whether under the warranty or otherwise shall not be excluded from the warranty period.
  4. The company or it's authorised service centre/ service dealer, reserves the right to retain any part/s or component/s replaced at it's discretion in the event of a defect noticed in the equipment during the warranty period.
  5. Any change of address shall be intimated to concerned service centre for continuation of warranty.
  6. Warranty for the unexpired period shall continue after the product is inspected by the concerned service centre and the product is found free from transit damage.
  7. The customer shall have to pay a visiting charge towards inspection, as applicable.
  8. In case of any transit damage, the product shall be repaired by the concerned service centre on charges and warranty for unexpired period to continue.
  9. The warranty does not cover demonstration/ installation of the product purchased.
  10. The warranty does not cover accessories external to the system.
  11. The company's obligation under this warranty shall be limited to repairing or providing replacement of part/s, which are found to be detective.
  12. Repairs during warranty period shall be carried on "Carry In" basis. Wherein for service the purchaser shall bring the product to the Service Centre with whom the set is registered for warranty service. The warranty does not cover cost of transportation of system from place of installation to the Service Centre.
  13. The concerned Service Centre will advise the customer whether to effect the repair at site or its Service Centre.
  14. Any part/s of the system replaced by the company at it's discretion shall be with a functionally operative part.
THIS WARRANTY IS NOT APPLICABLE IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING CASES:

1. The warranty card is not duly filled and mailed back to the service centre for registration by the purchaser.
  2. The completed warranty card is not presented to authorized personnel at the time of repair.
  3. The product is not purchased from an Authorized SAMSUNG dealer.
  4. The product is not used according to instructions given in the instruction manual.
  5. Defects caused by improper use as determined by the company personnel.
  6. Modification or alteration of any nature is made in the electrical circuitry/ or physical construction of the set.
  7. Installation/ repair work is carried out by persons/agency other than authorized by the company.
  8. Site (premises where the product is kept) conditions that do not confirm to the recommended operating conditions of the machine.
  9. The original serial number is removed, obliterated or altered from the machine or cabinet.
  10. Defects due to cause beyond control like lightning, abnormal voltage, acts of God or while in transit

post #7103 of 8318 Old 08-15-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Samsung authorized resellers. Even though EC or Nice is not listed, Samsung does say this

"Please Note: Any Samsung product purchased from an unauthorized Samsung reseller may not be eligible for the benefits above, including the manufacturer’s 1 year limited warranty." Of course the key words are "may not" which means they may still cover it.

http://www.samsung.com/us/peaceofmind/ceddealers.html

http://www.samsung.com/us/peaceofmin...resellers.html
Ph8te likes this.
post #7104 of 8318 Old 08-15-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

while I wouldn't personally buy from EC, the evidence so far suggest Samsung will honor warranty if you buy from them. if you're really worried, call up Samsung and double check with them

post #7105 of 8318 Old 08-15-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Samsung authorized resellers. Even though EC or Nice is not listed, Samsung does say this

"Please Note: Any Samsung product purchased from an unauthorized Samsung reseller may not be eligible for the benefits above, including the manufacturer’s 1 year limited warranty." Of course the key words are "may not" which means they may still cover it.

http://www.samsung.com/us/peaceofmind/ceddealers.html

http://www.samsung.com/us/peaceofmin...resellers.html
Thanks wxman, I think Fierce has the right idea. I'll give them a call to clarify. If TV's bought from some of the UA Sammy resellers are covered & they are cheaper then I will go with one of them. I do not see a problem.
post #7106 of 8318 Old 08-15-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary777 View Post
Thanks wxman, I think Fierce has the right idea. I'll give them a call to clarify. If TV's bought from some of the UA Sammy resellers are covered & they are cheaper then I will go with one of them. I do not see a problem.

There have been more than a few people who have bought grey market and been covered by Samsung. While technically you are taking a risk, you may get 5 different answers if you call 5 different times. retailers such as Cleveland AV (forum sponsor) are not listed, but indeed are Authorized sellers.
post #7107 of 8318 Old 08-15-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
There have been more than a few people who have bought grey market and been covered by Samsung. While technically you are taking a risk, you may get 5 different answers if you call 5 different times. retailers such as Cleveland AV (forum sponsor) are not listed, but indeed are Authorized sellers.
Hi Ph. I understand about the list not being complete. I am talking about the UA dealers. You are probably right about getting 5 different answers....
post #7108 of 8318 Old 08-15-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary777 View Post
Hi Ph. I understand about the list not being complete. I am talking about the UA dealers. You are probably right about getting 5 different answers....

It's a roll of the dice really. It's a decision you'll have to make and "live" with if you choose to use a "grey market" retailer. Samsung would never tell you yes we'll cover it, this way they don't support those types of dealers. Most of these dealers are also pricing this well below the UPP that Samsung instated last year to stop the great swings in price. I know it's not easy as any times the savings can be substantial. I just hope that those that do choose to go that route go in knowing the risks.
post #7109 of 8318 Old 08-16-2014, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Doesn't this discussion belong in the "deals" section?

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #7110 of 8318 Old 08-16-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Talking PN64F8500 arrival

I'm so excited and feel also kind of pathetic as this brings me so much JOY.

The delivery of my new baby has arrived! Best Buy delivered less than 30 minutes ago (window was 1pm-3pm) they arrived right at 1pm.

I will certainly post details the moment I unbox it (really soon) just need to take care of the PN63C8000 that I'm practically giving away to get it out of the house (slight wife aggro). Thought it was going to be easy to sell my existing set as it had warranty remaining but it wasn't and I'm very impatient so hopefully sale will go through in a few hours and I'll post my new baby's details (manufacturer date etc)

Then next step will be to get that Costco / SquareTrade Warranty, register on Samsung website. I'm hoping that before labor day Best Buy as a 24 or 36 month deal because I had to do the existing 12 month same as cash it was the only one they had available. If I'm within the 15 day return period they said I can switch plans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02516.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	215025  
HLdan likes this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page