Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 241 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7201 of 7609 Old 08-22-2014, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The repair man came -- he said that a few of the components inside failed and that since it's so new they are just going to replace the entire panel instead of just the ones that failed. It means another week or more without a working set, but he seemed knowledgable and was very nice so I think it'll be good in the long wrong. Older guy, very professional. Not like they sent some teenager from Geek Squad over to fix my TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7202 of 7609 Old 08-22-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Comparisons are always mind blowing! Especially when there's something on each set that you like, and don't like. You usually end up wanting a combination of the two.
Camera photos will never do a TV PQ justice!
The F8500 calibration shortly after 500 hours - haven't touched it since - it just keeps getting better on it's own!

Room conditions test - Black room calibration - looks super - turn the lights on with the room conditions now affecting to PQ - not so good anymore. Showed this to one of my wife's relatives, who was buying a used TV from me that's to be calibrated before he takes it. Didn't want any flack afterwards for when he sets it up at his place with different external influences.
post #7203 of 7609 Old 08-22-2014, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I hear the buzzing from 12 feet away at dead centre on my 60 inch. You think the build quality would be higher on a $3000 TV...

I am not sure how to proceed from here. The buzzing is definitely annoying. It is plugged into the wall and I used the supplied ferrite cores on the power cable.
post #7204 of 7609 Old 08-22-2014, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedin View Post
I hear the buzzing from 12 feet away at dead centre on my 60 inch. You think the build quality would be higher on a $3000 TV...

I am not sure how to proceed from here. The buzzing is definitely annoying. It is plugged into the wall and I used the supplied ferrite cores on the power cable.
That blows. I can't hear any buzz from about 6 feet away except for the instance I described (almost completely white screen). I guess the line really must differ from unit to unit.

Can you return it? Has it always buzzed or did then buzz increase over time?
post #7205 of 7609 Old 08-22-2014, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Sheckler View Post
I thought the original reading for the F8500 was for an all black screen so it went from .0017 to .0025 not .0041. What was the original ansi for it?.
I asked this same question on the VE Shootout Results thread and D-Nice was kind enough to respond. The F8500 measured .0041 on the ANSI checkerboard, but .0025 mll. So a subtle overall change.

fdsfds
post #7206 of 7609 Old 08-22-2014, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
I asked this same question on the VE Shootout Results thread and D-Nice was kind enough to respond. The F8500 measured .0041 on the ANSI checkerboard, but .0025 mll. So a subtle overall change.
In any case still better than the ST/GT50, right? Gets confusing when every webpage you visit lists a different value for black level.
post #7207 of 7609 Old 08-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
That blows. I can't hear any buzz from about 6 feet away except for the instance I described (almost completely white screen). I guess the line really must differ from unit to unit.

I don't think the buzz varies from set to set but it does matter where the person lives. Based on their elevation above sea level. The higher the elevation the louder the buzz, however there is a threshold before the buzz starts to sound much louder. Samsung states that on their website.
post #7208 of 7609 Old 08-22-2014, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Could anyone please direct me to the best calibration settings for dark room viewing on 64F8500 ?

I've tried 2 so far but they seem more geared toward lighter situations. The display is located in master bedroom and with window treatments so there is very little light even during the day, mostly viewed at night anyway in the dark.

Thanks in advance.
post #7209 of 7609 Old 08-22-2014, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just ordered my 51 inch version of this TV. Does this TV output 5.1 only through the optical output? I'm asking because my audio receiver only accepts an RCA analog signal so I'll have to buy a toslink to RCA converter and the one I'm wanting does not accept the 5.1 signal.
post #7210 of 7609 Old 08-22-2014, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Two questions and one fix I found for the buzz...

Does anyone know if it is possible to get rid of the audible feedback for the volume?

Does anyone know why I keep getting the "check the device connection" screen when I change channels on directv? It does it even when it's not going through the avr.

Mine buzzed pretty bad when I tested it out of the box with a wall outlet. After I got it plugged into the panamax power conditioner it went almost completely away. Don't know if this will help everyone but it worked for me.
post #7211 of 7609 Old 08-22-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post

I purchased the TV a few days ago, so I can return it. I think the noise has been constant. I just did a firmware update and the buzzing is still there. I am going to use the calibration slides for 200 hours over the next couple weeks to see if the buzzing goes away.
post #7212 of 7609 Old 08-22-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
I don't think the buzz varies from set to set but it does matter where the person lives. Based on their elevation above sea level. The higher the elevation the louder the buzz, however there is a threshold before the buzz starts to sound much louder. Samsung states that on their website.
I live less than 10 minutes from the ocean. I can hear it when my TV is at normal listening volume.
post #7213 of 7609 Old 08-22-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
I purchased the TV a few days ago, so I can return it. I think the noise has been constant. I just did a firmware update and the buzzing is still there. I am going to use the calibration slides for 200 hours over the next couple weeks to see if the buzzing goes away.
the buzzing is related to the electricity running through the tv, it's not going to get better unless you do something that cleans up the electricity, or reduces the amount of electricity the tv uses.

otherwise, your only options are to find a way to manipulate the acoustics of your room to hide the buzzing.

and unfortunately, even if you already have a clean power source, and room acoustics that don't make the buzzing loudest at your seating location, some ppl are just very sensitive to the buzz and will always hear it.

I can generally hear mine anytime I mute the speakers and listen for it. but I can also easily ignore it when I'm watching normal content. the only time I become aware of it naturally is when surfing the web and I go from a dark page to a full white one or vice versa. I find the change in buzz volume more jarring than the buzz itself

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #7214 of 7609 Old 08-22-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I live less than 10 minutes from the ocean. I can hear it when my TV is at normal listening volume.
I didn't say the buzz doesn't happen at sea level, I said it's suppose to vary in noise depending on how high above sea level you are. Plasmas buzz no matter where you are. That's how they are designed.
post #7215 of 7609 Old 08-22-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 242
The buzz can be reduced with a decent power conditioner. My 64 did buzz, not real loud, but it did buzz. I got a power conditioner, and I can't hear the buzz at all anymore. It will amaze you how much the power coming into your house fluctuates. Over an evening's worth of viewing I have seen the power go from 117 volts all the way up to 126 volts. Rarely do you have a clean 120 volts going into your tv. It doesn't cost much to ensure the power going into your tv is stable. I got one of these and it does the trick.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
KONICA TECH likes this.
post #7216 of 7609 Old 08-22-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

It's called Dirty Power.
Influenced by all kinds of electric and electronic interference.
My 64F8500 plugs into a Monster Conditioner, that in turn is plugged into an APC UPS - double cleanup, plus Brown Out protection, and quick and unexpected Power Off/On surprises.
NO Buzz except at the top left corner at the back, and even then you have to put your ear right up to it.
If you're going to put out the $s for a TV, then spend a little more to protect it, and not expect a $9.95 Power Bar will do the trick!
KONICA TECH likes this.
post #7217 of 7609 Old 08-23-2014, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Since we are on the topic of electrical surges, i was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them.. I connected my blu-ray player via an hdmi cord to my F8500, and right away, a icon of a battery meter showed up, and it was rapidly going from green bars to yellow to red, then it read "OVERLOAD acdc".. First i thought it might of been the tv, but then i hooked the bluray player up to my panasonic and the same exact message came up on the panasonic's screen.. I tried plugging my bluray player's plug into another socket,, and same result. Anyone heard of this before??

Panasonic GT50 55"
Pansaonic VT60 60"
post #7218 of 7609 Old 08-23-2014, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
The buzz can be reduced with a decent power conditioner. My 64 did buzz, not real loud, but it did buzz. I got a power conditioner, and I can't hear the buzz at all anymore. It will amaze you how much the power coming into your house fluctuates. Over an evening's worth of viewing I have seen the power go from 117 volts all the way up to 126 volts. Rarely do you have a clean 120 volts going into your tv. It doesn't cost much to ensure the power going into your tv is stable. I got one of these and it does the trick.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
Do they make something similair for wal mounted TV's?
post #7219 of 7609 Old 08-23-2014, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 72
What happened to the pictures from this thread? They use to be accessible before. i can't find them anymore
post #7220 of 7609 Old 08-23-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post
Since we are on the topic of electrical surges, i was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them.. I connected my blu-ray player via an hdmi cord to my F8500, and right away, a icon of a battery meter showed up, and it was rapidly going from green bars to yellow to red, then it read "OVERLOAD acdc".. First i thought it might of been the tv, but then i hooked the bluray player up to my panasonic and the same exact message came up on the panasonic's screen.. I tried plugging my bluray player's plug into another socket,, and same result. Anyone heard of this before??
Hopefully you're not plugging and unplugging HDMI Cables with the Power ON!
Secondly, many TVs, although supposedly Off, are actually on Standby. (Thereby, actually still On!)
The only way to make sure the set is Off, is to pull the plug from the wall. Then Insert or remove connecting cables.
Last, I had a bad HDMI cable that blew my almost new TV. Repaired under warranty thankfully.
KONICA TECH likes this.
post #7221 of 7609 Old 08-23-2014, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Need the help of former Panasonic VT30 forward owners. I've been mulling over purchasing the 64F8500 for a while and can't seem to make a decision. If you could share your thoughts in the change in overall picture quality, contrast and black levels it would be appreciated. My VT30 produces some great blacks, but I'm looking for phenomenal - black bars that are black or near black all the time.

fdsfds
post #7222 of 7609 Old 08-23-2014, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
to add to this, I've had mine since 1007 or something like that, and I've never noticed a change brightness...
Well if you had it calibrated under 50 ftL or so I don't think you'd notice a difference in apl. It should look the same as my zt60 in day mode ( approx 45-50 ftl ) or night mode ( 30-40 ft l )

Im sure if it was set to a super high brightness of 60-7- ftl than for sure someone would notice the drop in brightness eventually
post #7223 of 7609 Old 08-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Need the help of former Panasonic VT30 forward owners. I've been mulling over purchasing the 64F8500 for a while and can't seem to make a decision. If you could share your thoughts in the change in overall picture quality, contrast and black levels it would be appreciated. My VT30 produces some great blacks, but I'm looking for phenomenal - black bars that are black or near black all the time.
The F8500 is better than the VT30 hands down. There isn't a contest there.

Waaayyyyy brighter even if the recent firmware reduced brightness down to 50 ftl. The VT30 barely gets past 30 ftl.

Low black levels even when they float on the f8500 ( you'd be hard pressed to notice since they change when apl rises ) 0.002 to 0.004 ftl.

VT30 has rising blacks...and severe red push

Probably more accurate colour

Wayyyyy better light filter ( blacks will look inky black in bright rooms and still dark in low light rooms )

The F8500 is a no brainer. Buy it
KONICA TECH likes this.
post #7224 of 7609 Old 08-23-2014, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the response. Overall brightness isn't a big concern for me - my VT30 is calibrated at 40 fl day mode and 35 fl night mode and blacks measure at .0045 mll - no rising blacks. I would like the better daytime filter so blacks would hold up, but the one thing holding me back is how much difference will I see between .0045 and .0025?

fdsfds
post #7225 of 7609 Old 08-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post
Let me ask, are you watching the Spiderman Blu-ray? I just purchased it and I saw that overload meter come up and I immediately thought my Panny Blu-ray player was on it's way to the grave. After suspecting it had something to do with the Spiderman Blu ray I put in other Blu-rays and that overload meter doesn't come up. I'm thinking it's part of the loading splash screen on the Spiderman movie. That's my experience at least. If it's not a splash screen (which I suspect it is) then that Spider Man Blu-ray causes a weird reaction.
post #7226 of 7609 Old 08-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Overall brightness isn't a big concern for me - my VT30 is calibrated at 40 fl day mode and 35 fl night mode and blacks measure at .0045 mll - no rising blacks. I would like the better daytime filter so blacks would hold up, but the one thing holding me back is how much difference will I see between .0045 and .0025?
FYI....All VT30s had rising blacks. I think D-nice confirmed this from his experience with them in the field. Surprised you got 40 ftl in day mode....2011 shootout the pros said the vt30 maxed out at 32-33 ftl

Anyways, the F8500 would be miles higher than the VT30. In the dark, the diff will be noticeable. Less glow in dark scenes. thats about it
StinDaWg likes this.
post #7227 of 7609 Old 08-23-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I've got a flickering green subpixel..... I can live with it but I wanted someone's opinion on whether or not it will just go away or if it really bodes ill for the whole pixel in the long term.
post #7228 of 7609 Old 08-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
FYI....All VT30s had rising blacks. I think D-nice confirmed this from his experience with them in the field. Surprised you got 40 ftl in day mode....2011 shootout the pros said the vt30 maxed out at 32-33 ftl

Anyways, the F8500 would be miles higher than the VT30. In the dark, the diff will be noticeable. Less glow in dark scenes. thats about it
Besides post #15 on this page, I've never seen him make a comment on any other thread regarding the VT30.
Official 2011 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread

Thanks for the input though. I'm going to make a decision in the next week. I will either get this set or wait for OLED.

fdsfds
post #7229 of 7609 Old 08-23-2014, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Let me ask, are you watching the Spiderman Blu-ray? I just purchased it and I saw that overload meter come up and I immediately thought my Panny Blu-ray player was on it's way to the grave. After suspecting it had something to do with the Spiderman Blu ray I put in other Blu-rays and that overload meter doesn't come up. I'm thinking it's part of the loading splash screen on the Spiderman movie. That's my experience at least. If it's not a splash screen (which I suspect it is) then that Spider Man Blu-ray causes a weird reaction.
Yes it is.. That is actually hilarious.. I tried it again just now, after i read your post and yes it turns out that it is just the splash start up screen, I guess they did that to go with the theme of one of spiderman's villans whom seems to be able to manipulate electricity.. Thanks for the reply, now i can actually watch the bluray.. lol

Panasonic GT50 55"
Pansaonic VT60 60"
post #7230 of 7609 Old 08-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Besides post #15 on this page, I've never seen him make a comment on any other thread regarding the VT30.
Official 2011 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread

Thanks for the input though. I'm going to make a decision in the next week. I will either get this set or wait for OLED.
Watch the 2011 and 2012 VE shootout. Thats where I heard him say the VT30 black levels got as high as 0.010 mll....which is atrocious but if you couldn't tell then its not a big deal for you. enjoy your set.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page