Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 242 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2014, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post
Yes it is.. That is actually hilarious.. I tried it again just now, after i read your post and yes it turns out that it is just the splash start up screen, I guess they did that to go with the theme of one of spiderman's villans whom seems to be able to manipulate electricity.. Thanks for the reply, now i can actually watch the bluray.. lol
Awesome! Glad I could help. You actually helped me too I was hoping somebody was going to bring this up. Quite a shock factor because I just got my F8500 a month ago and I was not ready to blame the TV.
I also recognized the clue of the overload meter matching Spider-man's costume colors. Excellent! Now we can get back to enjoying our TVs and blu-ray players and that awesome movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpk248 View Post
I've got a flickering green subpixel..... I can live with it but I wanted someone's opinion on whether or not it will just go away or if it really bodes ill for the whole pixel in the long term.
I had a frozen pixel on my 8500 that I noticed shortly after purchasing it. I can't remember if it was white or red, but thankfully it only lasted a day. Since then (over 15 months now), I haven't noticed anymore pixel anomalies.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 1079
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Well if you had it calibrated under 50 ftL or so I don't think you'd notice a difference in apl. It should look the same as my zt60 in day mode ( approx 45-50 ftl ) or night mode ( 30-40 ft l )

Im sure if it was set to a super high brightness of 60-7- ftl than for sure someone would notice the drop in brightness eventually

when one of the fw's came out, many ppl were complaining about the image getting dimmer. some of these ppl had the cell light turned down(like I did) and sort of said stuff like 'oh well, now I've got it turned up to 20 and it looks good again'.

so based on that, I would expect the image to dim regardless of my settings, I mean, I understand PEAK brightness might not have changed, but the image during average content would.

so again, I say, IF there's been a change on mine, it's extremely subtle

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Old 08-23-2014, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
when one of the fw's came out, many ppl were complaining about the image getting dimmer. some of these ppl had the cell light turned down(like I did) and sort of said stuff like 'oh well, now I've got it turned up to 20 and it looks good again'.

so based on that, I would expect the image to dim regardless of my settings, I mean, I understand PEAK brightness might not have changed, but the image during average content would.

so again, I say, IF there's been a change on mine, it's extremely subtle
what happened to pics posted in this thread? where did they go?
Old 08-24-2014, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 100
The '11 mentioned the VT25 rising to near .010, but I do t recall any mention in '12 for the VT30. And it's not that I don't "notice" it, I can say definitively that mine haven't risen as it was recently calibrated after 3 years.

Klipsch RF-62 II HT System
SVS Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
Old 08-24-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I can't say that I have noticed it on my calibrated VT25.

Perhaps I misremembered.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New 8500

Hi All,
Purchased today 64F8500.
Yet to set it up.
Would need help to do the necessary tweaks to get the best out of it...
Old 08-24-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddomino1 View Post
Just ordered my 51 inch version of this TV. Does this TV output 5.1 only through the optical output? I'm asking because my audio receiver only accepts an RCA analog signal so I'll have to buy a toslink to RCA converter and the one I'm wanting does not accept the 5.1 signal.
I'm pretty sure you can set it to 2 channel PCM.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Hopefully you're not plugging and unplugging HDMI Cables with the Power ON!
Secondly, many TVs, although supposedly Off, are actually on Standby. (Thereby, actually still On!)
The only way to make sure the set is Off, is to pull the plug from the wall. Then Insert or remove connecting cables.
Last, I had a bad HDMI cable that blew my almost new TV. Repaired under warranty thankfully.
Uh what? Where did you read that you can't plug in HDMI cables with the power on? The shell of the cable makes contact first, which establishes a common ground between the two device before any of the signals pins are connected.

Frankly speaking, your idea is worse since by unplugging the TV you've eliminated the set's earth ground and it will use the ground from one of the other cables attached to the TV to dissipate any charge coupled onto it by a connection.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 29
A friend of mine purchased the64F8500, and I had the opportunity to see if for the first time Saturday. Basedon recommended settings, we were looking to adjust the black optimizer to"dark room," the setting was grayed out to the default"auto.". Could a member please tell me so I call tell my fried how toadjust the black optimizer to "dark room." A search of Google had alot of info on the optimizer but no info on how to adjust the setting. He hadthe TV in "movie mode." Thank you!

P.S. Do you find changing from "auto" to "dark room" improves the picture quality in your experience? Thanks.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Uh what? Where did you read that you can't plug in HDMI cables with the power on? The shell of the cable makes contact first, which establishes a common ground between the two device before any of the signals pins are connected.

Frankly speaking, your idea is worse since by unplugging the TV you've eliminated the set's earth ground and it will use the ground from one of the other cables attached to the TV to dissipate any charge coupled onto it by a connection.

I agree. You don't want to lose your common/earth ground between components by unplugging power cables just to connect digital/analog cabling.

Last edited by DanF8500; 08-24-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
what happened to pics posted in this thread? where did they go?
what pictures are you missing? I don't see anything missing

Old 08-24-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
A friend of mine purchased the64F8500, and I had the opportunity to see if for the first time Saturday. Basedon recommended settings, we were looking to adjust the black optimizer to"dark room," the setting was grayed out to the default"auto.". Could a member please tell me so I call tell my fried how toadjust the black optimizer to "dark room." A search of Google had alot of info on the optimizer but no info on how to adjust the setting. He hadthe TV in "movie mode." Thank you!

P.S. Do you find changing from "auto" to "dark room" improves the picture quality in your experience? Thanks.
I've never seen the option greyed out on mine, except when I've enable PC mode, but then it's grey out to the off setting. so I have no idea what's happening there.

as far as auto, dark room, and bright room. it seems like auto switches between dark room or bright room. most ppl believe based on the ambient lighting(I'm not sure this has been 'confirmed' yet though)

what I can say, is that in my theater room, which is set up for projection, so pretty dark, there is no change between auto and dark room, and a noticeable difference between bright room and auto/dark

Old 08-24-2014, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
It's called Dirty Power.
Influenced by all kinds of electric and electronic interference.
My 64F8500 plugs into a Monster Conditioner, that in turn is plugged into an APC UPS - double cleanup, plus Brown Out protection, and quick and unexpected Power Off/On surprises.
NO Buzz except at the top left corner at the back, and even then you have to put your ear right up to it.
If you're going to put out the $s for a TV, then spend a little more to protect it, and not expect a $9.95 Power Bar will do the trick!
P5, did you have loud buzzing before you added the conditioner & APC UPS?
Old 08-24-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Should we be using wall outlets or power strip/surge protectors for this TV? Does it matter?
Old 08-24-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeezie View Post
Should we be using wall outlets or power strip/surge protectors for this TV? Does it matter?
I would at least have a good surge protector. It doesn't take muck to fry the power supply in any electronic device.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
what pictures are you missing? I don't see anything missing
pics that folks upload was accessible via some window on the right side of the webpage. Since the website was updated its no longer there.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
pics that folks upload was accessible via some window on the right side of the webpage. Since the website was updated its no longer there.
oh, I thought you were referring to something recent, and the pics in the thread disappeared...

yeah, this forum format doesn't have that feature. the pics haven't gone anywhere, but you have to find them by going back through the posts now. no easy way to skip through them

Old 08-24-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoconagenda View Post
Two questions and one fix I found for the buzz...

Does anyone know if it is possible to get rid of the audible feedback for the volume?

Does anyone know why I keep getting the "check the device connection" screen when I change channels on directv? It does it even when it's not going through the avr.

Mine buzzed pretty bad when I tested it out of the box with a wall outlet. After I got it plugged into the panamax power conditioner it went almost completely away. Don't know if this will help everyone but it worked for me.
Neo, what model Panamax did you get? the MR-4000 As for "check the device connection" Is you're signal dropping out when this happens, or is it a false alarm. I have seen check the device connection when I disconnect my dvr HDMI cable, or have the wrong input. As for the sound I have no experience on that..

Last edited by gary777; 08-24-2014 at 06:03 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-24-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary777 View Post
P5, did you have loud buzzing before you added the conditioner & APC UPS?
Unknown - went straight into the Monster first thing. Buzzing was audible at first from a foot away, but then disappeared. Have only heard once a lot of buzzing when a weird commercial came on. Nothing since.

Has anyone heard anything as to why older F8500s aren't privileged to get the 1200 update?

Last edited by p5browne; 08-24-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Unknown - went straight into the Monster first thing. Buzzing was audible at first from a foot away, but then disappeared. Have only hear once a lot of buzzing when a weird commercial came on. Nothing since.

Has anyone heard anything as to why older F8500s aren't privileged to get the 1200 update?
Thanks for the info.
Did you call Samsung about the 1200 update, if so what was their response..
Old 08-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
oh, I thought you were referring to something recent, and the pics in the thread disappeared...

yeah, this forum format doesn't have that feature. the pics haven't gone anywhere, but you have to find them by going back through the posts now. no easy way to skip through them
*raises fist to sky *

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

That really sucks.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Unknown - went straight into the Monster first thing. Buzzing was audible at first from a foot away, but then disappeared. Have only hear once a lot of buzzing when a weird commercial came on. Nothing since.

I'm also curious about this 1200 fw

but then again, I'd love to get a straight answer for what ANY of the fw updates actually did... the descriptions been exactly the same for about a year now
Damien Inferno likes this.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

I will continue to play it safe, http://www.avforums.com/threads/is-hdmi-hot-swappable.1229098/
Damien Inferno likes this.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post
Do you follow the same procedure for VGA cables? How about DVI? Ethernet? Audio RCA cables? Coax SPDIF?
Old 08-25-2014, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Do you follow the same procedure for VGA cables? How about DVI? Ethernet? Audio RCA cables? Coax SPDIF?
Have fun!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary777 View Post
Thanks for the info.
Did you call Samsung about the 1200 update, if so what was their response..

Is the most current firmware 1116.1?
  1. This firmware is for TV Model(s): PDP F8500
  2. The version is 1116.1
  3. This firmware update will improve the following:

- Solves swipe motion could not move the picture to next picture.

- Solves Network Connection issue with Wireless router.

- Solves Brightness Popping issue.

- Improves picture quality.

- Supports more MSO in OnTV feature.

- Enhances Voice Recognition feature.

Perhaps I misremembered.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
Is the most current firmware 1116.1?
  1. This firmware is for TV Model(s): PDP F8500
  2. The version is 1116.1
  3. This firmware update will improve the following:

- Solves swipe motion could not move the picture to next picture.

- Solves Network Connection issue with Wireless router.

- Solves Brightness Popping issue.

- Improves picture quality.

- Supports more MSO in OnTV feature.

- Enhances Voice Recognition feature.

I believe it depends on where you are located. If you are overseas then the numbers do not match the NA firmware releases.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
Old 08-25-2014, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I believe it depends on where you are located. If you are overseas then the numbers do not match the NA firmware releases.

A member or two here I've seen from Canada are unable to get the 1200 firmware on their F8500.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
A member or two here I've seen from Canada are unable to get the 1200 firmware on their F8500.

I haven't seen 1200 officially released. The only reports I have seen are from those that have 2014 build dates. The current version available in US is 1119.1.

Since there is an international audience in these forums, it may be best to state your location (NA/EU/etc) when posting about firmware as well as bulls date. Once Samsung releases a firmware for automatic download it will propagate slowly and owners may see a delay from when one user gets the update to when they get the update.

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread