Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 245 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7321 of 7338 Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd like to check how many hours are on my panel. I know how to get into the service menu. Once in there, do I have to navigate around? Or will the first screen I see show me the hours? Then to get out, I just press exit on the remote. I know it sounds dumb asking, but just wanna be sure and not mess anything up. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7322 of 7338 Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaByte View Post
I'd like to check how many hours are on my panel. I know how to get into the service menu. Once in there, do I have to navigate around? Or will the first screen I see show me the hours? Then to get out, I just press exit on the remote. I know it sounds dumb asking, but just wanna be sure and not mess anything up.
will be on the first 'page' that pops up, it's labelled MRT(I thought that was confusing when I looked)

to get out, you must turn off the power(also kind of annoying/confusing)

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #7323 of 7338 Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks fierce_gt :-)
post #7324 of 7338 Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomnoise View Post
Thanks. I will try to be patient as I wait for the noise to go away.
Just my opinion but I don't think the buzz actually goes away or reduces overtime, but rather a perception. Speaking from a person who owns two plasmas from two different manufacturers. They both buzz. Samsung explains it right in their website as to why plasmas buzz. It's by design. Just like in the LCD forum where the majority of the complaints are about clouding, flashlighting and viewing angles, the majority of the complaints in the plasma forum are IR and buzz.

If you're looking for it go away, don't. While it's possible in some instances that the buzz may reduce I still think that it's purely perception for people that say the sound has gone away. Everybody's hearing is different as well. Two people checking out the same plasma may result in one person hearing the buzz while other person hears absolutely nothing.
post #7325 of 7338 Old Today, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Just my opinion but I don't think the buzz actually goes away or reduces overtime, but rather a perception. Speaking from a person who owns two plasmas from two different manufacturers. They both buzz. Samsung explains it right in their website as to why plasmas buzz. It's by design. Just like in the LCD forum where the majority of the complaints are about clouding, flashlighting and viewing angles, the majority of the complaints in the plasma forum are IR and buzz.

If you're looking for it go away, don't. While it's possible in some instances that the buzz may reduce I still think that it's purely perception for people that say the sound has gone away. Everybody's hearing is different as well. Two people checking out the same plasma may result in one person hearing the buzz while other person hears absolutely nothing.
My Panasonic plasma does not buzz...neither does my friend's Samsung 64F8500.
post #7326 of 7338 Old Today, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
My Panasonic plasma does not buzz...neither does my friend's Samsung 64F8500.
It most certainly does. Throw up a full white screen.
post #7327 of 7338 Old Today, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
He could do that I guess, but to what end? How often is he going to be watching a fully white screen? The point is not to see if he can make it buzz, but more, will it buzz during normal use. I'm not a fan of looking for flaws, because when you do, you inevitably find them. Also, I believe I've read that after a certain age, people lose hearing in the frequencies that plasmas buzz, so depending on his age, he may not hear it no matter what he does.
post #7328 of 7338 Old Today, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I didn't think my 60F8500 buzzed at first, but later discovered the buzz by sitting in the center position on the couch and turning my head to the left. The buzz was low and constant; a full white screen did not increase or lower it. It's really a non-issue for me; it can't be heard when watching the set at any volume level. I've had no mention of it from family members. However, apparently some people are more sensitive to the buzz. Also, based on some previous posts, it appears that a few have received sets with a much louder buzz, in which case it should be returned or a service call made.
post #7329 of 7338 Old Today, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)

^ Samsung will only replace/fix a buzzing plasma if the buzzing noise exceeds a certain sound pressure level (spl) threshold. I remember an 8500 owner on this thread had a loud, excessive buzz from his tv, and Samsung replaced out a part in it to lessen the buzz.
post #7330 of 7338 Old Today, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post
He could do that I guess, but to what end? How often is he going to be watching a fully white screen? The point is not to see if he can make it buzz, but more, will it buzz during normal use. I'm not a fan of looking for flaws, because when you do, you inevitably find them. Also, I believe I've read that after a certain age, people lose hearing in the frequencies that plasmas buzz, so depending on his age, he may not hear it no matter what he does.
The other poster stated that neither his Panasonic nor his friend's F8500 buzzes, period. He didn't say he couldn't hear them buzz. White screens come up a lot more often than most people realize. Commercials and certain aspects of the TV that use a white/bright screen. At those times a Plasma buzzes at it's loudest. And if you go looking for issues and find them then they were there in the first place. I get what you're saying but shouldn't we as smart consumers be aware of anomalies or common characteristics of the products we own? Some people think the buzzing in Plasmas, the flash lighting and clouding of LCD screens to be defects when they are common characteristics of the technology. This leads people to endlessly exchanging TV's to correct a problem that isn't a problem, even though it may be frustrating to get used to.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #7331 of 7338 Old Today, 08:17 AM

"It doesn't buzz", "He can't hear it buzz"...semantics. Your point regarding being informed about inherent technological flaws is valid and well taken, but if there is a problem, and the end user can't observe it, then is it really a problem?
post #7332 of 7338 Old Today, 08:43 AM

Quote:
"It doesn't buzz", "He can't hear it buzz"...semantics. Your point regarding being informed about inherent technological flaws is valid and well taken, but if there is a problem, and the end user can't observe it, then is it really a problem?
Well I guess it's one of those things where if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it does it make a sound...

BUT...if there is a problem and the end user can't observe it, it can still be a problem. If something is truly defective from manufacturing or from poor engineering it may not necessarily be obvious to the average user. Defective pixels is just one of them. Some people here have reported a stream of pixels running down the side of the screen. To the average user they will probably blame their cable company not realizing the TV is actually defective. Not everybody will join forums to be in the know. Sometimes that's a good thing and bad. I think people would save hundreds of dollars on getting things repaired if they knew upfront what the issues are and handle them (if necessary) before they fester. One member here had 2 panels replaced on his new plasma because of the buzzing. He reported back saying the buzzing didn't go away still. Just understanding that buzzing is common could've saved him all that trouble.
mightymouseusf likes this.
post #7333 of 7338 Old Today, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
EVERY plasma buzzes to some degree, some more than others. I've had 6 plasmas over the years and they've all buzzed to varying levels on bright scenes.

To come on here and state that their plasma does not and has never buzzed is just misinformation.
post #7334 of 7338 Old Today, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
depends if 60-70ms of lag is ok with your or not.

PC mode will drop it even further, and is the setting I would recommend for gaming personally.
Game Mode + PC rename trick will get you the least possible input lag on this set, and it's about average at that point. I play Titanfall quite a bit on this set, and it's pretty tight.
post #7335 of 7338 Old Today, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The audible buzz on my set is inconsistent and infrequent. It does have a constant low level buzz, but you have to put your head behind the screen to hear it. Once you're on the couch it's impossible to detect. If you enter the browser it buzzes on the white screen but stops buzzing once you direct it to a web page.

If any ambient noise is present, such as air conditioning or a dehumidifier, any buzz (even the loudest version) is impossible to detect even when the set is on mute. On my TV the volume threshold for detecting a buzz is 8 (HW-H550). as soon as I go above that level any buzz (when it occurs) is effectively eliminated.

My unit never seems to buzz when it matters. I had a friend over last night to show off my set (Prometheus and Tron:Legacy) and the audible buzz never showed up. Not at powerup, and not during the setup, menu screens, or playback (Samsung owes me; I think I sold him a TV). However, a few nights ago I dazed off watching Netflix, and when I woke up I was startled by the loudest buzz Ive ever heard the set emit (it didn't help that the house was completely silent). Strangely, it was occurring while the TV was in screen saver mode (black screen with the Samsung icon bouncing about). As soon as I pressed the button on the remote to go back to regular TV the buzzing disappeared.

I'm compulsive about this sort of thing, but even for me the buzzing issue is receding by the day and by now it's gotten to the point I no longer think or worry about it. Its truly a shame that many people looking for a great HDTV will research the f8500 series and be put off by the many "buzz" debates they'll find on the web. It's not a big deal at all imo. Like bezels on a multi-monitor setup, it's chiefly an issue for non-owners wondering about it (most, anyway. I'm certain a few sets buzz louder that the rest, and some very sensitive ears surely exist out there).
post #7336 of 7338 Old Today, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
EVERY plasma buzzes to some degree, some more than others. I've had 6 plasmas over the years and they've all buzzed to varying levels on bright scenes.

To come on here and state that their plasma does not and has never buzzed is just misinformation.
Yes clearly igreg's intention was to spread misinformation and not just comment on his experience with plasma. Luckily we have you here to to root out his blatant attempt at misrepresenting the facts.
post #7337 of 7338 Old Today, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Well I guess it's one of those things where if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it does it make a sound...

BUT...if there is a problem and the end user can't observe it, it can still be a problem. If something is truly defective from manufacturing or from poor engineering it may not necessarily be obvious to the average user. Defective pixels is just one of them. Some people here have reported a stream of pixels running down the side of the screen. To the average user they will probably blame their cable company not realizing the TV is actually defective. Not everybody will join forums to be in the know. Sometimes that's a good thing and bad. I think people would save hundreds of dollars on getting things repaired if they knew upfront what the issues are and handle them (if necessary) before they fester. One member here had 2 panels replaced on his new plasma because of the buzzing. He reported back saying the buzzing didn't go away still. Just understanding that buzzing is common could've saved him all that trouble.
Fair point sir.
post #7338 of 7338 Old Today, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just to check the "every plasma buzzes" angle I inspected my bedroom TV, a cheap 42" panasonic plasma thoroughly (it actually has quite a nice picture for the price).

There is no buzz coming from this set. None.

Would I trade it for my f8500? Absolutely not. I accept the fact that Samsung surely had to manipulate massive amounts of energy to create such a fantastic picture. Can you imagine the buzz on a 4k plasma?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page