Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 246 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7351 of 7363 Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
I think we need to end our back-and-forth here because it's not going anywhere; let's agree to disagree, I guess?

I think the buzz issue IS important and should continue to be discussed, if only so prospective buyers of one of the last plasmas ever can be comforted that it's not a big deal for some of us.

There are times my f8500 emits an audible buzzing noise, but very infrequently, and it's easily covered up when it does happen. The Panasonic is basically silent. That's the end of my story.
yeah, I'm not really sure how this ended up being a you vs me thing, I guess you just replied before anybody else...

there's nothing wrong with discussing the buzz. and there's nothing wrong with you stating your f8500 has a more noticeable buzz than your panny. that's useful info.

my post was towards the ppl saying their plasma(any plasma) had ZERO buzz. this isn't really possible, and I'd rather hear from ppl who have the ability to hear the buzz. ie, like what you said in your last post about the panny being quieter than the Samsung, that's useful.

what isn't useful is somebody who can't hear the buzz saying there is no buzz. so, imo, if you can't defect buzz under any circumstance, you are not 'qualified' to comment on it. you should be able to hear it if you try. 'basically silent' is different than silent, and that statement makes me believe the Panasonic is very quiet, as opposed to making me question your hearing.
HLdan likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7352 of 7363 Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 190
fierce

Is the F8500 the display that you're trying to calibrate with the i1D3?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #7353 of 7363 Old Today, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
I think the buzz issue IS important and should continue to be discussed, if only so prospective buyers of one of the last plasmas ever can be comforted that it's not a big deal for some of us.
Just play it safe and purchase from a retailer that accepts easy returns/exchanges. And don't feel guilty about doing it. If the F8500's in a retailer's showroom barely make any audible noise, you should expect the same w/ your purchase.
post #7354 of 7363 Old Today, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
White Glove Delivery?

Well, after my VT30 died in a lightning storm, my home owner's insurance helped me purchase the 64" F8500! Can't wait to get it!!!

I do have a question about the white glove delivery that I purchased with the TV. I was told that the drivers will unpack the unit and plug it up to make sure it is working properly. However, the white glove delivery states it does not include assembly or installation. Assembly, as I would guess, include putting the stand on the unit. So, if the unit does not have a stand attached, how are they going to check to see if the panel works properly? Have it flat on the floor and plug it in? Am I missing something???
post #7355 of 7363 Old Today, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdabbs View Post
Well, after my VT30 died in a lightning storm, my home owner's insurance helped me purchase the 64" F8500! Can't wait to get it!!!

I do have a question about the white glove delivery that I purchased with the TV. I was told that the drivers will unpack the unit and plug it up to make sure it is working properly. However, the white glove delivery states it does not include assembly or installation. Assembly, as I would guess, include putting the stand on the unit. So, if the unit does not have a stand attached, how are they going to check to see if the panel works properly? Have it flat on the floor and plug it in? Am I missing something???
All plasmas (at least the ones I have purchased) come in the box standing up. The packing holds them in place. The delivery people just take top off the box leaving the plasma standing erect. They plug it in the wall, turn it on and that's it. If the screen is in tact (meaning no cracks and powers up) and the cabinet shows no damage they ask you to sign and they leave out.

One other thing, white glove delivery does not include the delivery people giving you the extra time to plug up your cable or DirecTV to view a picture.
post #7356 of 7363 Old Today, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcrow100 View Post
its the AnyNet feature of the TV i believe. I replied to this in either this thread or the discussion thread. The tv will switch back to the "TV" mode of your receiver because it thinks thats the proper mode. I programmed an additional command on my Harmony one to switch it back to "Sat" on the receiver at the end of my watchTV activity.

Well, the last time this happened it just stopped on its own. Started switching again this week going from my direct tv input to broadcast input within 30 secs of turning on. I am surprised that only one other person is experiencing this. Aynet has been off but I did toggle it. Must be related to the FW update I did on 7/9. Should I do a factory reset?
post #7357 of 7363 Old Today, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Now I have three plasmas: Kuro 141FD, Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, and Samsung PN64F8500 (delivery next Saturday).

Still very happy with the Kuro, but was worried about everyone exiting the plasma business.

Panasonic has a superb picture, but it also has annoying problems: Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers, and My plasma TV causes my subs to hum.

Reading this thread, it sounds like the Samsung has an annoying level of buzz.

Should I have just stuck with the Kuro until it wore out, and then hoped OLED was available by then?

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #7358 of 7363 Old Today, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post
Reading this thread, it sounds like the Samsung has an annoying level of buzz.
Sometimes, like right now for example; I will run my 64F8500 w/full screen content (typically a movie on Cinemax) w/the sound muted, to combat any possibility of IR.
There is absolutely no buzzing noise, that I can hear coming from my 6-month-old, w/build date 11/13, F8500.
post #7359 of 7363 Old Today, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Where do I find most answers to questions I have about this TV? The manual is pretty basic.

For instance,
I'm watching football and to mess with me my son starts using his phone to play You Tube videos on the Samsung which switches off the football game. Where do I go to figure out how to stop him?
I WANT MORE likes this.
post #7360 of 7363 Old Today, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone else has had the issue I'm having.. I'm just around 185 hours of break in and just decided to watch a movie last night with 16:9 aspect ratio and cranked up the cell light to 18 and contrast to like 95.. After the 2 hour movie ended I noticed the WORST IR (from black bars) but I feel like it went away cause I used the scrolling feature for 2 hours. Is it really that bad for plasmas?? When can I watch movies without having this issue?
post #7361 of 7363 Old Today, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodddogg View Post
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone else has had the issue I'm having.. I'm just around 185 hours of break in and just decided to watch a movie last night with 16:9 aspect ratio and cranked up the cell light to 18 and contrast to like 95.. After the 2 hour movie ended I noticed the WORST IR (from black bars) but I feel like it went away cause I used the scrolling feature for 2 hours. Is it really that bad for plasmas?? When can I watch movies without having this issue?
The one thing that's barely complained about here in regards to the Samsung plasmas is IR and mainly because the Samsung TV's are very resistant to it. If anything shows up it usually lasts under 1 minute at best. Unlike my Panasonic plasma where if I were watch a Football game it was guaranteed to have the FOX logo in the upper right corner and it usually takes several hours to several days to screen wipe it or watch mixed content to get it go away. I still have some IR right now that's been there for weeks from the NFL network logo.

That being said, your settings were just outrageously high, especially for a night movie. Contrast at 95? Too high. You must have strong eyes because that's very blinding for a movie at night. The cell light is negligible but I never have mine that high. When dealing with Letterbox movies you have to be mindful of your settings. If the cell light and contrast are too high you will get some IR from the black bars but even with your settings it shouldn't have taken 2 hours to remove the IR on the F8500. It's personal preference but I would say around 60-70 on the contrast setting and anywhere from 10-15 on the cell light.

On my Panny I can't even watch CNN or the NFL network more than a hour because the scrolling ticker at the bottom leaves IR and takes way too many days to get rid of it. On my F8500 I can watch these networks for hours and as soon as I change the channel if there is any faint IR it goes away in 1 minute or less. I'm honestly amazed. Just be mindful of your settings depending on the content.

Last edited by HLdan; Today at 02:17 PM.
post #7362 of 7363 Old Today, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddomino1 View Post
Where do I find most answers to questions I have about this TV? The manual is pretty basic.

For instance,
I'm watching football and to mess with me my son starts using his phone to play You Tube videos on the Samsung which switches off the football game. Where do I go to figure out how to stop him?
Take his phone away. That will stop him.
Glenee and Ph8te like this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page