Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 250 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7471 of 7609 Old 09-07-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post
Nobody's taking them apart to modify? Interesting. Taking them apart to modify drive voltages was pretty common on the D8000. I did it. So did many others here on AVS. There's no voodoo inside.

I guess I'm surprised nobody has had one apart trying to do the same thing on the F8500.

There is no need to really. These set preform great without the need for hardware mods. I guess if it means that much you'll be the guinea pig

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 7609 Old 09-07-2014, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Anybody watching SNF tonight? I just got a popup ad for Verizon
post #7473 of 7609 Old 09-07-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdyson View Post
Anybody watching SNF tonight? I just got a popup ad for Verizon
There are a couple other commercials that do that to with Samsung. I think one was with Reebok.
post #7474 of 7609 Old 09-07-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
There is no need to really. These set preform great without the need for hardware mods. I guess if it means that much you'll be the guinea pig

I thought they didn't have the same controls to even tinker with?

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #7475 of 7609 Old 09-07-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 190
AVRs have come along way, and prices have dropped considerably, with great Audio Output. What is in the sound to speakers on a Samsung? I doubt the whole audio system in the TV even comes anywhere near the quality of HDMI Digital to an AVR! (Same issue - Void Warranty - dare risk it?)
post #7476 of 7609 Old 09-07-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
I thought they didn't have the same controls to even tinker with?

I don't think anyone has wanted open these up and mess with the internals. Most of the time the adjustments are made to improve MLL or some other aspect. With the way the F8500 performs I'm not sure anyone would get that much of a boost from doing voltage hacks. Considering that these sets are on their way out someone with disposable income that dosent care if they break the TV will need to test out different things. I just don't see that happening with the owners that post here

post #7477 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
AVRs have come along way, and prices have dropped considerably, with great Audio Output. What is in the sound to speakers on a Samsung? I doubt the whole audio system in the TV even comes anywhere near the quality of HDMI Digital to an AVR! (Same issue - Void Warranty - dare risk it?)
My dislike for receivers in a family room setting has nothing to do with dissatisfaction in the sound they provide. It has everything to do with their horrible user interfaces.

As for the internal amplifier driving the speakers, I can't yet be sure what's in there. That's why I was hoping one of you had already done it! All it should be is a cheap DAC paired with a cheap integrated amplifier. Maybe those pieces are really terrible, but I doubt it. DACs are such a mature technology that even the cheapest ones sound quite good. And the amplifiers, just like any amplifiers, should sound just about perfect when used very far from their limits. With high impedance amplifiers hooked up, they'll have almost no current flow. They should be just coasting along. The wrench that could be thrown in would be if Samsung had altered the frequency response somehow to try to improve the sound from the internal speakers. This could be with DSP or with a passive network, and it would be a problem. But to me it seems unlikely. I've not seen any reason to believe that Samsung or any other major TV manufacturer even listens to what these displays sound like before releasing them, much less try to improve that sound with response tailoring.

It seems that many here estimate the risk of damage from opening up the set FAR higher than I do. Have any of you actually had the thing open at all? As I said before, opening my last Samsung plasma was no big deal at all, and lots of people did it. I never heard of any freak accidents where somebody's set was damaged. They just aren't that fragile. Pulling off the back panel is barely harder or riskier than opening your car's hood. Just don't touch parts unless you know what they do. Anyway, I don't even own the set yet. I'll update here if I try it once I have it. In the mean time, I'm still open to other thoughts/suggestions. If there's a way to accomplish what I want without adding a receiver and without cracking open the set, I'd love to hear it. But a big, complicated receiver sitting in the room just isn't what I want.

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #7478 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGovind View Post
I have currently hooked up TV to Yamaha AV to which a blu ray and DTH is also connected...
In the sound options, 3D audio and sound Customiser is inactive.
Sent image...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Do you have speaker setting set to receiver?
Yes Wxman, speaker setting set to receiver....any help pls..
post #7479 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)

Quote:
Yes Wxman, speaker setting set to receiver....any help pls..

The only time you will have access to "Sound Effect" is when when "Sound Mode" is set to "Normal". Any other settings for sound mode will inactivate sound effect. As for 3D audio, I think you need to be watching 3D video to adjust it.

I believe you can only access "Sound Customizer" when your speaker selection is "TV Speaker". The other settings for speaker will inactivate the sound customizer.
JGovind likes this.

Last edited by DanF8500; 09-08-2014 at 08:29 AM.
post #7480 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My dislike for receivers in a family room setting has nothing to do with dissatisfaction in the sound they provide. It has everything to do with their horrible user interfaces.

As for the internal amplifier driving the speakers, I can't yet be sure what's in there. That's why I was hoping one of you had already done it! All it should be is a cheap DAC paired with a cheap integrated amplifier. Maybe those pieces are really terrible, but I doubt it. DACs are such a mature technology that even the cheapest ones sound quite good. And the amplifiers, just like any amplifiers, should sound just about perfect when used very far from their limits. With high impedance amplifiers hooked up, they'll have almost no current flow. They should be just coasting along. The wrench that could be thrown in would be if Samsung had altered the frequency response somehow to try to improve the sound from the internal speakers. This could be with DSP or with a passive network, and it would be a problem. But to me it seems unlikely. I've not seen any reason to believe that Samsung or any other major TV manufacturer even listens to what these displays sound like before releasing them, much less try to improve that sound with response tailoring.

It seems that many here estimate the risk of damage from opening up the set FAR higher than I do. Have any of you actually had the thing open at all? As I said before, opening my last Samsung plasma was no big deal at all, and lots of people did it. I never heard of any freak accidents where somebody's set was damaged. They just aren't that fragile. Pulling off the back panel is barely harder or riskier than opening your car's hood. Just don't touch parts unless you know what they do. Anyway, I don't even own the set yet. I'll update here if I try it once I have it. In the mean time, I'm still open to other thoughts/suggestions. If there's a way to accomplish what I want without adding a receiver and without cracking open the set, I'd love to hear it. But a big, complicated receiver sitting in the room just isn't what I want.
have you ever tried a universal remote like a harmony?

it seems like your complaints mostly revolve around having to use more than one remote to control sources and volume, and I've never needed more than my harmony one for any of that.

seems like a better solution to me than hacking up a tv and using what's sure to be the worst possible components to keep costs down. I mean really, who cares THAT much about a TV's speakers anymore? no audiophile is using them anyway.

for the other room, have you ruled out a soundbar? again, seems like an easier solution than hacking your tv just to hook it up to some powered speakers.

post #7481 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
have you ever tried a universal remote like a harmony?
Fierce, this was already discussed with him yesterday....Here's his comment. You can read it in full above (post 7469).

"Well, let's be real here. I don't "need" any of it. It's a want. And I want a dead simple system. I want a system so simple that that my grandmother can (and will) walk in and work it perfectly without an issue. Programmable remotes aren't that, and neither are receivers. I've tried Harmony, and I've tried others. None of them work that simply. One wrong button press sends you into some screwy mode, and it isn't obvious how to go back to "normal". But a simple TV remote is simple. More complicated is fine for the cinema room, but simple rules for the family room."
post #7482 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PN64F8500 Doesn't Power On Anymore

Hello

My 64in F8500 purchased in July 2014 is no longer powering on. I can hear the power "click" and red LED flash when pressing the power button. There's a quick flicker of light on the screen, but no SMART TV Home screen comes up and no source can be viewed. I know I'm getting power to the unit, because when plugging a USB fan to the the TV, the fan it is running. I have tried to disconnect all HDMI and A/V connections, changing wall outlets, reseating the power plug and nothing happens to power on the TV. Has anyone heard of this issue happening on Samsung plasmas?

Other than this issue, the TV has been great! Wonderful pictures.

Thanks
Steve
post #7483 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
The only time you will have access to "Sound Effect" is when when "Sound Mode" is set to "Normal". Any other settings for sound mode will inactivate sound effect. As for 3D audio, I think you need to be watching 3D video to adjust it.

I believe you can only access "Sound Customizer" when your speaker selection is "TV Speaker". The other settings for speaker will inactivate the sound customizer.
Thanks a lot. Got it...
What settings u recommend for motion judder for movies and for sports...is it recommended to keep changing this....
post #7484 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot. Got it...

What settings u recommend for motion judder for movies and for sports...is it recommended to keep changing this....

I keep it off. Always!
post #7485 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I hoping F8500 owners can give me some good advice for my situation. I'm in the midst of replacing my year-ish-old Panasonic ST60, which had terrific PQ but started showing the quick-onset, annoyingly persistent image retention you may have heard about with Panasonic's recent 3D plasma panels. I had the ghost of the Xbox One logo visible against light backgrounds for MONTHS despite it being on screen for about 10 minutes, for example. No good.

In any case, the Panny experience left me skittish about plasmas generally, as I've gotten back into console gaming and just didn't want to deal with that sort of long-term IR. Thing is, I'm also a film buff, and the dark-room movie experience of a plasma is just fantastic.

Last week I bought a Samsung H7150 "LED" LCD and had my Panasonic taken away. During the day, the LCD looks good. First evening with it, though, and there it was: the blotchy, glowing not-black "black" screen of an LCD panel. I could possibly get used to it, but knowing what plasma blacks look like, I don't know that I'm ready to put up with it.

I've searched all over to see if people have similar IR problems with the F8500 that I had with my Panasonic. Looks like no, but I need a reality check here. Before I officially exchange the LCD for the F8500, can other gamers confirm that non-abusive gaming is going to be okay on this plasma? I'm happy to run other content after a few hours of gaming to keep things clean. Will my F8500 experience be different from the Panasonic?
post #7486 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Fierce, this was already discussed with him yesterday....Here's his comment. You can read it in full above (post 7469).

"Well, let's be real here. I don't "need" any of it. It's a want. And I want a dead simple system. I want a system so simple that that my grandmother can (and will) walk in and work it perfectly without an issue. Programmable remotes aren't that, and neither are receivers. I've tried Harmony, and I've tried others. None of them work that simply. One wrong button press sends you into some screwy mode, and it isn't obvious how to go back to "normal". But a simple TV remote is simple. More complicated is fine for the cinema room, but simple rules for the family room."
that's really unfortunate. my mom seems to think that pressing a button labelled 'watch tv' is easier than pressing 'tv power', followed by 'hdmi2'. and if something does go wrong, pressing 'help' will actually fix it automatically...

but still, for the 'family room' I don't see what's wrong with a sound bar. the harmony is a great thing for the theater room, since it works exactly the same with an avr as it does without an avr.

post #7487 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfthinline View Post
I hoping F8500 owners can give me some good advice for my situation. I'm in the midst of replacing my year-ish-old Panasonic ST60, which had terrific PQ but started showing the quick-onset, annoyingly persistent image retention you may have heard about with Panasonic's recent 3D plasma panels. I had the ghost of the Xbox One logo visible against light backgrounds for MONTHS despite it being on screen for about 10 minutes, for example. No good.

In any case, the Panny experience left me skittish about plasmas generally, as I've gotten back into console gaming and just didn't want to deal with that sort of long-term IR. Thing is, I'm also a film buff, and the dark-room movie experience of a plasma is just fantastic.

Last week I bought a Samsung H7150 "LED" LCD and had my Panasonic taken away. During the day, the LCD looks good. First evening with it, though, and there it was: the blotchy, glowing not-black "black" screen of an LCD panel. I could possibly get used to it, but knowing what plasma blacks look like, I don't know that I'm ready to put up with it.

I've searched all over to see if people have similar IR problems with the F8500 that I had with my Panasonic. Looks like no, but I need a reality check here. Before I officially exchange the LCD for the F8500, can other gamers confirm that non-abusive gaming is going to be okay on this plasma? I'm happy to run other content after a few hours of gaming to keep things clean. Will my F8500 experience be different from the Panasonic?
the f8500 is the most resistant to ir I've ever seen.

one night I accidentally(don't ask) left the tv on overnight with the avs forums displaying. after about 7hrs, with none of the ir prevention stuff turned on, there was some ir, but it cleared up after just about an hour of normal full screen content.

I'm not a heavy duty gamer, but when I do play, it's often all day Saturday/sunday. no issues for me so far

post #7488 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I haven't had any IR that I could notice.

I nodded off watching an episode of Seinfeld on Crackle and awoke to the static menu screen. I turned it off in a panic, figuring I'd have some IR for sure from that, but no. There was none.
post #7489 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For anybody that was interested, at least one owner HAS taken the rear panel off of his F8500 and generously posted photos here. He's an exceptionally brave owner, apparently. The speakers and their signal wires look quite easy to reach.

If anyone prefers to continue the discussion about the correctness or incorrectness of my preference for not using a receiver in my family room, I'd recommend taking it to another thread. It's way off topic here.
riparian likes this.

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #7490 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
OKAY, I'm crying Uncle. Even though I can download my firmware updates through wi-fi, I cannot access the any apps through wi-fi or via ethernet. Under "System" it says I'm connected to the network but, not the internet. The "Network Type" is set to either Wireless or Wired depending on how I am trying to access the internet. Samsung and the internet provider do not know the problem as we have spent hours troubleshooting the issue. The only thing I can think of is the IP addresses but these addresses were set automatically by connecting with the router. The other strange thing is that I can access the internet via my Onkyo receiver and BD player using these IP addresses.

I have had the TV for 14 months and never tried using the apps before because I had always used my receiver for them.

Any thoughts?
post #7491 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicknick View Post
OKAY, I'm crying Uncle. Even though I can download my firmware updates through wi-fi, I cannot access the any apps through wi-fi or via ethernet. Under "System" it says I'm connected to the network but, not the internet. The "Network Type" is set to either Wireless or Wired depending on how I am trying to access the internet. Samsung and the internet provider do not know the problem as we have spent hours troubleshooting the issue. The only thing I can think of is the IP addresses but these addresses were set automatically by connecting with the router. The other strange thing is that I can access the internet via my Onkyo receiver and BD player using these IP addresses.

I have had the TV for 14 months and never tried using the apps before because I had always used my receiver for them.

Any thoughts?
What exactly happens when you click on an app?
post #7492 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
What exactly happens when you click on an app?
"you're not connected to the internet. Go to network settings and enjoy the smart hub"
post #7493 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

I do game on my 60F8500 quite alot, at least in comparison to displaying other content. And I can also speak as an owner who managed to create some persistent IR on my display. Without going into a long winded explanation, and to parallel Fierce's commentary above, it took effectively some 50 odd hours of Dark Souls II without varying content to get one very small graphic to "set in." So I should have known better.

Since then, I try to have a good hour or two of full HD content displayed between any heavy (ie 2 hours or more) gaming sessions. As a result since practicing this policy I haven't noticed any static graphics stay noticeable for more than the typical minute or two.

Although you haven't mentioned it yet, when using the PC Mode trick the display lag on the F8500 is very reasonable. For example I can play online shooters, platformers and pinball games without issue.

Image quality wise, even with some bells and whistles turned off, PC Mode still looks pretty darn awesome (here's some example shots for reference):
post #7494 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 01:46 PM

@quicknick - If you were having this problem on a PC I'd recommend backing up all of your essential data and doing a reformat/re-install. It sounds like something got corrupted at a deep level.

I've never done it with a TV but there must be a way to do a factory reset. Have you tried that?
post #7495 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
@quicknick - If you were having this problem on a PC I'd recommend backing up all of your essential data and doing a reformat/re-install. It sounds like something got corrupted at a deep level.

I've never done it with a TV but there must be a way to do a factory reset. Have you tried that?
A factory reset will assuredly lose my pro calibration and all other settings. This is not a pc so I'm unaware of a means to back up tv settings. I have made a warranty claim with Square Trade and I'll see where that will run. It may be a simple as replacing the wi-fi card or, as complicated as..........
post #7496 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
For anybody that was interested, at least one owner HAS taken the rear panel off of his F8500 and generously posted photos here. He's an exceptionally brave owner, apparently. The speakers and their signal wires look quite easy to reach..
That's complete overkill.
post #7497 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
A factory reset will assuredly lose my pro calibration and all other settings. This is not a pc so I'm unaware of a means to back up tv settings. I have made a warranty claim with Square Trade and I'll see where that will run. It may be a simple as replacing the wi-fi card or, as complicated as..........
Write down your settings before reset. All you have to do is reenter the calibration settings, and you are good to go. You do not need to recalibrate, just reenter the settings.
post #7498 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I didn't mean for the re-format/re-install thing to be literally applied to the TV. I just think it would be nice to know it it's corrupted software or a hardware problem.

Wi-fi issues are pretty common on PCs and a RF/RI cures them 99% of the time.
post #7499 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 02:10 PM

Thx. I fully understand. I have a PDF of all the calibrations settings. It's just that I would like to prevent re-inventing the wheel if at all possible.
post #7500 of 7609 Old 09-08-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thx. I fully understand. I have a PDF of all the calibrations settings. It's just that I would like to prevent re-inventing the wheel if at all possible.

This is a long shot, but did you read and agree with the Smarthub Terms and Conditions? I remember not being able to use the apps in the Smarthub without agreeing to the Terms and Conditions. Also, you can do a Smarthub reset, which you probably have already done. Strange situation...

Last edited by DanF8500; 09-08-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page