Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 252 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #7531 of 7554 Unread 09-13-2014, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
I have no reason to expect a price drop but production supposedly ends in November and I see no indication that inventory is dwindling from retailers such as BB and Amazon (including multiple retailers where you can buy one through Amazon) for all 3 screen sizes. I sure wish I knew a way to know for sure when inventory starts to dwindle.
I went to Best Buy Thursday night, and asked a sales associate if she knew when Best Buy would stop selling the F8500. I said she probably would not have this info. She replied that she could check; she went to the Best Buy private network, and told me in no uncertain terms that the set would be on sale until 3/15/15 at Best Buy. She said if an earlier date was accurate she would have heard from the Samsung representative. But would take with a grain of salt since she had not heard of the 11/30 production end date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7532 of 7554 Unread 09-14-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 795
yeah, I'm pretty sure the dates they would have in their computer are not linked up to samsungs production plants and their inventory. BB will sell what they have in stock until at least that date, but if they sell more than expected, they can't make them in the back and bring out more...

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #7533 of 7554 Unread 09-14-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
I'm still betting they will go on 'clearance' pricing here(Canada) but only because our clearance prices are still a couple bux more than US retail pricing...
ie, I remember seeing the 65zt60 for 1500off as recently as april or may. but 1500off, was 4200 I believe, haha.

it could be a really tight window though. that zt was around for a long time only because not a lot of ppl buy $4000 plasmas, so having 1 or 2 left in stock can take months to sell. I wouldn't expect that to be the case for the f8500. not only is it cheaper and a better 'value' to start with, there's the added pressure of it being the last reference quality plasma ever. there's likely enough ppl waiting for those clearance deals, that they'll be sold out very quickly once the price drops at all.
I'm in Canada too and today I just bought the f8500 51inches model. I must have called at least 25 stores across Quebec to find it. The 60 and 64 are more common here but I was trying to get some leverage to haggle the only store near my house (35min road trip) with the 51'' in stock; one demo unit and one brand new.

My plan was to haggle the demo unit. It was priced 2000$ and I offered 1600$ taxes included. The seller did not want to reduce the price by much saying that if he sell the demo he would have to unbox the new one. The next day I returned to store and bought the brand new one for 2.1k total. I may have save 500$. I was really happy about my purchase until I found that the TV could fit in my car. I will have to return to the store tomorrow to get it.

Long story short, those TVs seems to be going fast. If there is a sale I think there won’t be many units left.
fierce_gt likes this.
post #7534 of 7554 Unread 09-14-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is the brightness of letter bars a good indicator of black levels? If so my letter bars in the dark seem greyish. I have a cheap Haier led TV and the letter bars appear a lot darker than my 8500. Wonder why this is...
post #7535 of 7554 Unread 09-14-2014, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
yeah, I'm pretty sure the dates they would have in their computer are not linked up to samsungs production plants and their inventory. BB will sell what they have in stock until at least that date, but if they sell more than expected, they can't make them in the back and bring out more...
I'm sure as well that BB and Samsung don't share a network, but I would think a company like Samsung has a pretty detailed shipping schedule.

Perhaps the final shipments to BB's warehouses arrive on 3/14.
post #7536 of 7554 Unread 09-14-2014, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hove131 View Post
Is the brightness of letter bars a good indicator of black levels? If so my letter bars in the dark seem greyish. I have a cheap Haier led TV and the letter bars appear a lot darker than my 8500. Wonder why this is...
No clue. I have a mid-range LED (LG 55LS5700) and the dark levels are not comparable to the f8500 (neither is the sharpness). My letter boxes in a dark basement with a little ambient light consistently look black.

I can't do any serious watching on the LG anymore. I might give it away.
post #7537 of 7554 Unread 09-14-2014, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
There is no perfect panel.

A long-time Kuro owner, I recently bought a TCP65ZT60 and a PN64F8500, before plasma is completely gone.

The Panasonic has the best picture I've ever seen: deepest blacks, most-lifelike colors. Just amazing.

But the Panasonic seems to have been slapped together. It's kind of a beta version. The fans are notorious for generating beat frequencies that are quite annoying, the thing gets incredibly hot, and at least in some cases it generates subwoofer hum. Owners have to basically finish the engineering that Panasonic should have done--adding diverter fans, measuring heat and sticking fans on the back to control it, and (in my case anyway), using an EMF meter and MuMetal shielding to try to knock down the hum.

Compared to the Pansonic, the Samsung is much much better engineered. No fan noise, runs much cooler, no subwoofer hum. Even the 3D glasses are better--light, comfortable, easier to replace the battery. And no distracting bright metal trim visible from the front. And you can still get insurance.

It's just that, well... the Samsung makes everything look like it's shot on video. Like daytime soaps. At first I thought it was the movie (which I hadn't seen before), so I switched to some Blu-rays I've seen multiple times, and they also looked like "All My Children". It's not the LCD "clay-face" problem. Instead, it's an utter lack of filmic quality. Things are too crisp, kind of fakey, like everything is CGI (even people). I fiddled around with various settings and got it to look better, but it still doesn't look realistic. Also, the darks aren't quite as good.

Does anyone else have both panels? If so, do you have the same experience?

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit

Last edited by jimshowalter; 09-14-2014 at 05:46 PM.
post #7538 of 7554 Unread 09-14-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRod View Post
I'm in Canada too and today I just bought the f8500 51inches model. I must have called at least 25 stores across Quebec to find it. The 60 and 64 are more common here but I was trying to get some leverage to haggle the only store near my house (35min road trip) with the 51'' in stock; one demo unit and one brand new.

My plan was to haggle the demo unit. It was priced 2000$ and I offered 1600$ taxes included. The seller did not want to reduce the price by much saying that if he sell the demo he would have to unbox the new one. The next day I returned to store and bought the brand new one for 2.1k total. I may have save 500$. I was really happy about my purchase until I found that the TV could fit in my car. I will have to return to the store tomorrow to get it.

Long story short, those TVs seems to be going fast. If there is a sale I think there won’t be many units left.
it really depends on the market location. there's several stores that carry Samsung here(Winnipeg), and not a whole lot of ppl buying high end TV's from what I gather(based on how long the panny's sat around this year)

no matter what way you look at it, it's definitely a gamble. but the odds won't be the same everywhere

post #7539 of 7554 Unread 09-14-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hove131 View Post
it could be if things are set correctly, but it sounds like things are NOT set correctly, haha.

I think I'd be more likely to roll some credits and look at that.

and of course, set your brightness/contrast correctly if you haven't already

post #7540 of 7554 Unread 09-14-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

A long-time Kuro owner, I recently bought a TCP65ZT60 and a PN64F8500, before plasma is completely gone.

The Panasonic has the best picture I've ever seen: deepest blacks, most-lifelike colors. Just amazing.

But the Panasonic seems to have been slapped together. It's kind of a beta version. The fans are notorious for generating beat frequencies that are quite annoying, the thing gets incredibly hot, and at least in some cases it generates subwoofer hum. Owners have to basically finish the engineering that Panasonic should have done--adding diverter fans, measuring heat and sticking fans on the back to control it, and (in my case anyway), using an EMF meter and MuMetal shielding to try to knock down the hum.

Compared to the Pansonic, the Samsung is much much better engineered. No fan noise, runs much cooler, no subwoofer hum. Even the 3D glasses are better--light, comfortable, easier to replace the battery. And no distracting bright metal trim visible from the front. And you can still get insurance.

It's just that, well... the Samsung makes everything look like it's shot on video. Like daytime soaps. At first I thought it was the movie (which I hadn't seen before), so I switched to some Blu-rays I've seen multiple times, and they also looked like "All My Children". It's not the LCD "clay-face" problem. Instead, it's an utter lack of filmic quality. Things are too crisp, kind of fakey, like everything is CGI (even people). I fiddled around with various settings and got it to look better, but it still doesn't look realistic.

unfortunately not at home, but I have a friend that works at the store I purchased from, so I was able to get the st60, vt60, and f8500 set up side by side by side, and spend several hours comparing them. the zt60 had not arrived yet, so I didn't see it until after I bought my f8500, and to be honest I tried not to look too hard, haha.

but I've never felt that way about my f8500. it's as life-like as any other plasma I've viewed. I know early on there was some talk about a glitch involving cinema smooth. I don't remember the details at all, but it was like it got enabled 'secretly' and gave you that fake look when you didn't want it. you had to turn it on and then off again, or something like that. I'm not totally sure, but I believe it was discussed at some length in the f8500 glitches thread(not sure if that was the exact name of the thread, sorry). if this seems to be an issue only with blurays, I would definitely look into the cinema smooth issue. if it happens with everything, and you have the MJC, and other processing turned off, I'm not too sure.

try renaming the input "PC" and see what happens. it'll change all your settings, and the picture won't look as good, but it should also disable all the extra processing. if you still find it looks fake like that, it's got to be inherent to your panel and not something that could be turned off.

post #7541 of 7554 Unread 09-14-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
try renaming the input "PC" and see what happens. it'll change all your settings, and the picture won't look as good, but it should also disable all the extra processing. if you still find it looks fake like that, it's got to be inherent to your panel and not something that could be turned off.
Thanks, I'll give that a try!

post #7542 of 7554 Unread 09-14-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
I'm sure as well that BB and Samsung don't share a network, but I would think a company like Samsung has a pretty detailed shipping schedule.

Perhaps the final shipments to BB's warehouses arrive on 3/14.
not always the case. I don't know how BB's run in the states, up here, they often don't know whether the product is on the shelf or not, let alone when the next shipment is coming, or how many are in that shipment.

it's certainly possible that they have made orders that far in advance, and maybe that is the last scheduled shipment. I just wouldn't count on it personally. it could also just be the date some programmer entered by default. that seems like a logical time of year to 'rollover' the old models from their system. I mean, if they were going to make g8500's for 2015, then I wouldn't be expecting to be able to buy any f8500's in march 2015, the new models would already be on the floor, and the old stuff cleared out for them. so I find it hard to think these TV's will last longer than 'normal'

post #7543 of 7554 Unread 09-14-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 189
The local electronics store where I bought my PN64F8500 (They were cheaper than BB or FS) only had the wall model and 1 in stock when I purchased last November. Box was dusty - salesman said that with mine, and the demo gone, they wouldn't get in anymore 64". Their main sellers are the 60".
post #7544 of 7554 Unread Yesterday, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Last week BB was giving a free sound bar with purchase. This week it's a free Evolution Kit. I thought with the latest F8500's made, the Evolution Kit was not needed...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by gary777; Yesterday at 04:37 PM.
post #7545 of 7554 Unread Yesterday, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary777 View Post
Last week BB was giving a free sound bar with purchase. This week it's a free Evolution Kit. I thought with the latest F8500's made the Evolution Kit was not needed...
Depends what's in the Evolution Kit, because as we've seen, the 2014s are coming with FW 1200 and up. Us 2013 owners seem to appear to be stuck at 1120. Would the Kit now bring you up to whatever was changed in the 2014? Do the 2014's come with the New Remote that's with the Evolution Kit? Samsung seems to be keeping things to themselves.
post #7546 of 7554 Unread Yesterday, 04:50 PM

^^
Did a little digging and found this on Samsung's site:

The brand new Samsung Evolution Kit for 2014, with SKU SEK2000 and SEK2000/XC is now available for purchase from various sites.
The new Evolution Kit brings many new features to Samsung’s top-of-the-line televisions, and will work with the best E/ES and F-series HDTV sets, adding the 2014 version of SmartHub, a faster processor, Finger SI, micro-dimming, and multiscreen capabilities.
The SEK2000 Evolution Kit is compatible with the following HDTV models from Samsung:
  • LED F8000
  • F7500
  • Plasma F8500
  • ES8000
  • ES7500
  • E8000
The powerful upgrade kit now houses a Quad-core processor, 1.5GB of DDR3 memory with 4GB flash storage memory, and LAN support. Like its predecessor, the kit won’t necessarily upgrade screen quality, but focuses more on additional features and usability options not possible without the extra horsepower contained within the unit. You can expect a smoother Smart Hub UI experience and faster load times when using apps and social media functionality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7547 of 7554 Unread Yesterday, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Last week BB was giving a free sound bar with purchase. This week it's a free Evolution Kit. I thought with the latest F8500's made, the Evolution Kit was not needed...
Probably the only noticeable change that would result from installing the evolution kit would be the 2014 smart suite instead of the 2013 smart suite.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #7548 of 7554 Unread Yesterday, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Probably the only noticeable change that would result from installing the evolution kit would be the 2014 smart suite instead of the 2013 smart suite.
Agree. I know would not spend $250 on it from what I read. I'd take it for free though...

post #7549 of 7554 Unread Yesterday, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Its still a 2013 model (called a carryover) so you would need to purchase the Evolution Kit in order to receive the new Smart Hub and remote as well as the processor etc....The hardware from what we know is unchanged.
post #7550 of 7554 Unread Yesterday, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's just that, well... the Samsung makes everything look like it's shot on video. Like daytime soaps. At first I thought it was the movie (which I hadn't seen before), so I switched to some Blu-rays I've seen multiple times, and they also looked like "All My Children". It's not the LCD "clay-face" problem. Instead, it's an utter lack of filmic quality. Things are too crisp, kind of fakey, like everything is CGI (even people). I fiddled around with various settings and got it to look better, but it still doesn't look realistic. Also, the darks aren't quite as good.

I'm sure you must have tried this but do you have motion interpolation turned off? You seem to be describing SOE - what you're describing can't possibly be considered normal considering how well this television has been received. Not as good as the ZT60 but considered one of the best panels ever made.

Samsung PN60E7000
post #7551 of 7554 Unread Yesterday, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Agree. I know would not spend $250 on it from what I read. I'd take it for free though...
Agreed. I might consider the kit the last year the f8500 is eligible for one - after 4 years it might be worthwhile to get the latest smart suite.

Samsung PN60E7000
post #7552 of 7554 Unread Yesterday, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I'm sure you must have tried this but do you have motion interpolation turned off? You seem to be describing SOE - what you're describing can't possibly be considered normal considering how well this television has been received. Not as good as the ZT60 but considered one of the best panels ever made.
According to the menus in the picture setup, I've got everything turned off. Is there a hidden setting somewhere?

post #7553 of 7554 Unread Yesterday, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
According to the menus in the picture setup, I've got everything turned off. Is there a hidden setting somewhere?
It would be Motion Judder Canceller under Picture Options

Samsung PN60E7000
post #7554 of 7554 Unread Yesterday, 11:51 PM

Quote:
It would be Motion Judder Canceller under Picture Options
Yep, already disabled. Most nearly everything is shut off.

Tinkering with the settings made the picture better.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com