Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 253 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7561 of 7579 Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post
It's just that, well... the Samsung makes everything look like it's shot on video. Like daytime soaps. At first I thought it was the movie (which I hadn't seen before), so I switched to some Blu-rays I've seen multiple times, and they also looked like "All My Children". It's not the LCD "clay-face" problem. Instead, it's an utter lack of filmic quality. Things are too crisp, kind of fakey, like everything is CGI (even people). I fiddled around with various settings and got it to look better, but it still doesn't look realistic. Also, the darks aren't quite as good.

Does anyone else have both panels? If so, do you have the same experience?
I have a TH-50PX50U, a PRO-150FD and a 64F8500. To eliminate the "video like" image rendered by the F8500 disable the Dynamic Contrast, Black Tone, Digital Clean View, MPEG Noise Filter, Film Mode, Motion Judder Canceller and Black Optimizer picture settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7562 of 7579 Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Whew! For a moment there I thought a ZT60 vs. F8500 war was about to start.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #7563 of 7579 Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post
I have a TH-50PX50U, a PRO-150FD and a 64F8500. To eliminate the "video like" image rendered by the F8500 disable the Dynamic Contrast, Black Tone, Digital Clean View, MPEG Noise Filter, Film Mode, Motion Judder Canceller and Black Optimizer picture settings.
black optimizer doesn't need to be disabled

dynamic contrast, black tone, DCV, and MPEG NF shouldn't have anything to do with the SOE either, but I agree they should be turned off.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #7564 of 7579 Old Today, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 72
Guys

whats the word on 3D brightness pops? Rising Blacks in CS? And Floating blacks with high/low apl content?

Last edited by music_to_my_ear; Today at 05:42 AM.
post #7565 of 7579 Old Today, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I randomly browsed a site I haven't been to in a long time and to my surprise they have a relatively recent review of the f8500 (August 20).

It's at Tom's hardware, and it's pretty favorable in case your interested.
venus933 likes this.
post #7566 of 7579 Old Today, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
I'm going to try doing a PC mode calibration with my meter sometime soon. the big things missing with pc mode(imo) are black optimizer and the 10pt controls(meaning no fix for gamma is possible). for the way I play games, this is mostly a non-issue, but if I had to choose one setting for both games and movies, that's when 'game mode' would seem to be a better choice.
Wait a tic, you use game mode for games? I thought the lag on that mode was unplayable?
post #7567 of 7579 Old Today, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Any difference between builds made in Mexico F8500AF compared to US models F8500AFXZ?

I think HSN is shipping me a AF model made in Mexico.

I'am praying that the Mexico builds have deeper blacks.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #7568 of 7579 Old Today, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Guys

whats the word on 3D brightness pops? Rising Blacks in CS? And Floating blacks with high/low apl content?
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
I randomly browsed a site I haven't been to in a long time and to my surprise they have a relatively recent review of the f8500 (August 20).

Thanks for the heads up

I checked out the review. At first i thought the review wasn't going to be thorough as most non-a/v review sites usually miss segments that CNET or hdtvtest.co.uk would cover and most of the time those non-audio/video review sites tend to leave picture enhancement settings on ( bc they couldn't tell if it affected gamma/shadow detail or that the picture looked more lively )

But this reviewer seemed competent enough to advise leaving dynamic picture settings off cuz he said it crushed low end shadow detail which is a good sign he knows something about picture quality. He said 3D performance was bright enough and great but didn't mention anything on brightness pops which has me thinking....either he doesn't know about it to notice it or just didn't notice it at all

I guess I could send him a PM and ask but i wanna know now not next week lol
post #7569 of 7579 Old Today, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Well input lag is still high....really high

Hasn't anyone contacted Samsung about this issue since its release? I know the F8000 was fairly high and then some folks complained and Samsung lowered it with firmware

Added:
https://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/plasma/samsung/f8500

This review site claims 37 ms for lag under pc mode

Last edited by music_to_my_ear; Today at 07:34 AM.
post #7570 of 7579 Old Today, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I believe the above ratings were done in a Normal Game Mode, without the renaming, etc, owners have come up since the introduction, so the above chart is moot except to those afraid to tweak their sets to better the lag times.
post #7571 of 7579 Old Today, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Um, okay. I didn't know that.

Anybody know what the most recent full white screen reading was on a 64F8500?
post #7572 of 7579 Old Today, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
1) Reportedly fixed to the extent they can be (people report the pops are not visible when looking at the TV without the glasses which suggest they're an artifact of the glasses not the TV)
2) fixed
3) reportedly the visibility is minimized with firmware updates, but apparently is inherent to the way Samsung drives the panel.
music_to_my_ear and venus933 like this.
post #7573 of 7579 Old Today, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anybody know what the most recent full white screen reading was on a 64F8500?
Full white as in 100IRE window pattern, or full white as in 100IRE covering 100% of the screen?

On my 64" F8500 last night I measured ~60fL in Movie mode, Warm2, Cell Light = 20, Contrast = 95, with black optimizer set to bright room on a 12% window / 20% APL pattern. With black optimizer set to dark room it was ~52fL with the same pattern. I didn't measure a full screen 100IRE white image.
music_to_my_ear likes this.
post #7574 of 7579 Old Today, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Full white as in 100IRE window pattern, or full white as in 100IRE covering 100% of the screen?

On my 64" F8500 last night I measured ~60fL in Movie mode, Warm2, Cell Light = 20, Contrast = 95, with black optimizer set to bright room on a 12% window / 20% APL pattern. With black optimizer set to dark room it was ~52fL with the same pattern. I didn't measure a full screen 100IRE white image.
TBH, i don't know the diff between them but what i meant was a 100% white slide covering the entire screen

btw, 60 fL in movie mode is really surprising! You sure you got 60 fL?

Also, what did you get for Cal - Day?
post #7575 of 7579 Old Today, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
1) Reportedly fixed to the extent they can be (people report the pops are not visible when looking at the TV without the glasses which suggest they're an artifact of the glasses not the TV)
2) fixed
3) reportedly the visibility is minimized with firmware updates, but apparently is inherent to the way Samsung drives the panel.

I have 3D glasses from my ZT60....Ill try them out on the F8500 and see if its truly the glasses or the display ( if I spot the pops that is )
post #7576 of 7579 Old Today, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
TBH, i don't know the diff between them but what i meant was a 100% white slide covering the entire screen
A window pattern doesn't cover the full screen. A 12% window pattern covers 12% of the screen's area. A 12% window / 20% APL pattern has a 12% window with the desired color, but fills the rest of the screen with a complementary color that makes the total APL for the entire screen 20%. I didn't measure a full screen 100IRE pattern.

Quote:
btw, 60 fL in movie mode is really surprising! You sure you got 60 fL?
Yes, I'm very sure that's what I got under the conditions I mentioned.

Quote:
Also, what did you get for Cal - Day?
I don't currently have those modes enabled on my TV. I don't think they would change the brightness from movie mode.
post #7577 of 7579 Old Today, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post
It's just that, well... the Samsung makes everything look like it's shot on video. Like daytime soaps. At first I thought it was the movie (which I hadn't seen before), so I switched to some Blu-rays I've seen multiple times, and they also looked like "All My Children". It's not the LCD "clay-face" problem. Instead, it's an utter lack of filmic quality. Things are too crisp, kind of fakey, like everything is CGI (even people). I fiddled around with various settings and got it to look better, but it still doesn't look realistic. Also, the darks aren't quite as good.
This is a firmware bug, but it is easily fixable. It happens to me after I turn 'On', and then turn 'Off', the Cinema Smooth function in Film Mode. For some reason, doing this kicks on the Motion Judder Canceller. The MJC setting still reads as 'Off', but it is actually on. To fix it, change the MJC setting to 'Standard' (or one of the other On settings). Then, turn the MJC setting to 'Off'. The soap opera effect should now be completely gone. This will most likely happen again the next time you use Cinema Smooth, or until Samsung fixes it in a future firmware update. BTW, the reason to use Cinema Smooth is to eliminate brightness pops when viewing some 3D content. Basically, one fix breaks something else...go figure!
post #7578 of 7579 Old Today, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman View Post
This is a firmware bug, but it is easily fixable. It happens to me after I turn 'On', and then turn 'Off', the Cinema Smooth function in Film Mode. For some reason, doing this kicks on the Motion Judder Canceller. The MJC setting still reads as 'Off', but it is actually on. To fix it, change the MJC setting to 'Standard' (or one of the other On settings). Then, turn the MJC setting to 'Off'. The soap opera effect should now be completely gone. This will most likely happen again the next time you use Cinema Smooth, or until Samsung fixes it in a future firmware update. BTW, the reason to use Cinema Smooth is to eliminate brightness pops when viewing some 3D content. Basically, one fix breaks something else...go figure!

Thanks! Delivery is expected next Tuesday for my 51" unit for the bedroom. I feel like I have to study for a test to get the settings correct. If I don't plan on watching any 3D content is it necessary to have Cinema Smooth on? You're answer implies not but I want to make sure. Thanks!

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #7579 of 7579 Old Today, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Thanks! Delivery is expected next Tuesday for my 51" unit for the bedroom. I feel like I have to study for a test to get the settings correct. If I don't plan on watching any 3D content is it necessary to have Cinema Smooth on? You're answer implies not but I want to make sure. Thanks!
Just in time to keep the bedroom warm during the Winter!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page