Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 254 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7591 of 7596 Old Today, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman View Post
This is a firmware bug, but it is easily fixable. It happens to me after I turn 'On', and then turn 'Off', the Cinema Smooth function in Film Mode. For some reason, doing this kicks on the Motion Judder Canceller. The MJC setting still reads as 'Off', but it is actually on. To fix it, change the MJC setting to 'Standard' (or one of the other On settings). Then, turn the MJC setting to 'Off'. The soap opera effect should now be completely gone. This will most likely happen again the next time you use Cinema Smooth, or until Samsung fixes it in a future firmware update. BTW, the reason to use Cinema Smooth is to eliminate brightness pops when viewing some 3D content. Basically, one fix breaks something else...go figure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
I can't help too much with the 24fps stuff, cinema smooth is the 96hz function. I've never used it, I don't know of any other features that change 24hz blurays to something else... I thought the only reason ppl used cinema smooth was with 3D actually. I didn't think it had anything to do with making blacks deeper, that's black optimizer(another feature you lose with pc mode).

the image quality in PC mode is still pretty darn good. you, myself, many board members would see the difference when compared side by side, but I doubt 90% of the general population would see the difference unless deliberately pointed out. I'd still take the f8500 in pc mode over just about anything else still on the market.

specifically, pc mode lets you control brightness, contrast, sharpness, color temp, and white balance(2pt only). that's it!

funny you compared the st60 and vt60 for input lag, as from what I've seen, it seems like the f8500 in game mode is comparable to the st60, and the f8500 in pc mode is comparable to the vt60. maybe you are somebody that be ok with pc mode but not game mode.
Damn this Cinema Smooth bug seems to be a pain in the a$$.......i hope it doesn't become a deal breaker for me. Id hate to have to fiddle with MJC everyone I use CS with blu-rays.....id consider selling or returning the set if that was the case

I don't know why Samsung hasn't fixed this yet. the set has been out for almost 2 years now. Not enough complaints from owners?

The first thing imma do when I have the F8500 is call in about the input lag on game mode and ask they fix it. And then I'm going to ask for a fix on CS/MJC. If those brightness pops on 3D content is there without using CS then id have to consider my options again......the zt60 is basically problem free in those aspects. Its only the brightness I'm after...especially with what I read on using Cal-Day....id love to get 84 fL * drools *

Guys better get on the phone and complain about something before they remove the engineers away from F8500 tech support!

Last edited by music_to_my_ear; Today at 06:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7592 of 7596 Old Today, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
@Music - I can't imagine you won't enjoy it. It really is quite a piece of technology.
Well it is just behind the ZT/VT60 in black levels and colour, etc. I have the zt60 and it has a VERY nice picture so i expect something exceedingly similar from the f8500

Ill just have to see how the brightness pops in 3d with CS engaged is and if this MJC occasionally turning on, despite its menu option being disabled, is that problematic. I know for a fact it would bother me if happened very very often.

Im seriously gonna harass samsung tech support when I own the set so they can fix it within the month. No lie. Why haven't you guys done anything to notify Samsug tech about it?

I was following the F8000 for a bit and noticed those owners were persistent about all issues with samsung tech and most of the issues got fixed. Not sure if inout lag was addressed tho, i stopped following it. I guess ill pop into the thread and ask

Last edited by music_to_my_ear; Today at 06:46 AM.
post #7593 of 7596 Old Today, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bndck View Post
Hi,
Can anybody tel me that Either Microsoft Mobile 5000 or Microsoft Wedge Mobile Bluetooth keyboard work with This Plasma set (PS51F8500) ? I am asking before make decision to buy one of them. what criteria i have to check for Bluetooth compatible keyboard thanks.
I'm not familiar with the Microsoft keyboards, but I use this keyboard with the F8500, and it works quite well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #7594 of 7596 Old Today, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
And then I'm going to ask for a fix on CS/MJC. If those brightness pops on 3D content is there without using CS then id have to consider my options again......
In my experience, the 3D brightness pops appear to be random. I have close to one hundred 3D Blu-ray discs and most play perfectly fine without engaging Cinema Smooth. When I do encounter the issue, I just turn on CS and the problem goes away. I have no idea why the problem manifests itself, but if I had to guess, my money would be on the content provider doing something slightly non-standard or out of spec in the authoring process, that the F8500 doesn't like. The fact that it is a random issue and only happens with some content makes me think it is a software problem and not a TV hardware problem. BTW, I never see brightness pops when watching 3D on Netflix or channels like 3Net.
post #7595 of 7596 Old Today, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman View Post
In my experience, the 3D brightness pops appear to be random. I have close to one hundred 3D Blu-ray discs and most play perfectly fine without engaging Cinema Smooth. When I do encounter the issue, I just turn on CS and the problem goes away. I have no idea why the problem manifests itself, but if I had to guess, my money would be on the content provider doing something slightly non-standard or out of spec in the authoring process, that the F8500 doesn't like. The fact that it is a random issue and only happens with some content makes me think it is a software problem and not a TV hardware problem. BTW, I never see brightness pops when watching 3D on Netflix or channels like 3Net.
This is so bizarre......
post #7596 of 7596 Old Today, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Damn this Cinema Smooth bug seems to be a pain in the a$$.......i hope it doesn't become a deal breaker for me. Id hate to have to fiddle with MJC everyone I use CS with blu-rays.....id consider selling or returning the set if that was the case

I don't know why Samsung hasn't fixed this yet. the set has been out for almost 2 years now. Not enough complaints from owners?

The first thing imma do when I have the F8500 is call in about the input lag on game mode and ask they fix it. And then I'm going to ask for a fix on CS/MJC. If those brightness pops on 3D content is there without using CS then id have to consider my options again......the zt60 is basically problem free in those aspects. Its only the brightness I'm after...especially with what I read on using Cal-Day....id love to get 84 fL * drools *

Guys better get on the phone and complain about something before they remove the engineers away from F8500 tech support!

I don't think anybody's gotten over 60ftl in at least a year. the story is too many ppl complained to Samsung and that was part of their 'fw fix'...haha. so be careful what you ask for. the only way to get less input lag is to reduce picture quality...

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page