Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 261 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7801 of 7817 Old 09-29-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Agreed.....there simply aren't enough people with high-enough incomes to pay that much for a TV.

People DO want bigger TV's, but the limit will probably be around 80" or so. Most people simply do not have a wall or the space to accommodate larger TVs. So the price will have to come down and the manufacturers will have to hope there are enough Silicon Valley gazillionaires who want to buy 120" screens at 10x the price of a mass-market HiDef TV.
yes...but

I think there are lot more people that could afford them than would be ever interested in buying one

AND
can they buy that Vizio , of the same size, that is far less expensive and that suit them just fine

two things that people do that somewhat perplex me
1. They buy a really large Tv of average picture quality...stating the laws of diminishing returns for a better picture..ie...they have to spend to 2x-3x as much to get a minimal difference( their perception) in picture quality
Clearly..I dont agree with that. Coupled with the fact that the larger the screen the more obvious the flaws are

2. They buy a high end TV...$4-5K( or more) and connect it to an audio system that was $1000( all total) or less
Again..because I value audio/video as of 50/50 importance I would be willing to( and have) cut my budget on one to increase the other to an acceptable level

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7802 of 7817 Old 09-29-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
yes...but
I think there are lot more people that could afford them than would be ever interested in buying one
Agreed.......

Quote:
AND can they buy that Vizio , of the same size, that is far less expensive and that suit them just fine
two things that people do that somewhat perplex me
Yes, Vizio has become what SONY was in the 1970's and 1980's: the default go-to for TV buyers who know they can't go wrong.

Quote:
1. They buy a really large Tv of average picture quality...stating the laws of diminishing returns for a better picture..ie...they have to spend to 2x-3x as much to get a minimal difference( their perception) in picture quality
Clearly..I dont agree with that. Coupled with the fact that the larger the screen the more obvious the flaws are
The average housewife and kids and even male viewer WILL NOT notice the defects. It's like the stuff that makes a high-performance sports car special....most people won't pay for that or know what to do with it.

Quote:
2. They buy a high end TV...$4-5K( or more) and connect it to an audio system that was $1000( all total) or less
Again..because I value audio/video as of 50/50 importance I would be willing to( and have) cut my budget on one to increase the other to an acceptable level
Most people I know with HDTVs do NOT have separate audio systems, believe-it-or-not. They have enough problems just picking an HDTV, cables, and a stand.
post #7803 of 7817 Old 09-29-2014, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Can somebody help a dummy out?

I can't figure out how to get Netflix (or anything else) into my S recommendations. I've clicked everything there is to click and can't figure it out. I saw a picture in a review that seemed to indictae a list of available services you can select from but I haven't been able to locate that; maybe it's from previous firmware.

When I click on a movie recommendation for a flick I know is on Netflix the only options I get are Vudu and Cinemanow, even though I have the netflix app installed and activated.

I'm assuming this is something really simple I missed somehow.
post #7804 of 7817 Old Yesterday, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HEVC, 4K, file support...

Greetings,

1) Can anyone confirm how good or not so good the 4K (AVC) .mp4 playback is via USB port from external source?

2) Can anyone confirm how good or not so good the HEVC playback is via the USB port from external source?

I do understand this is a 1080p display, but if the higher quality files are supported, I would like to know how well files playback. Please and thank you.
post #7805 of 7817 Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsjr View Post
Greetings,

1) Can anyone confirm how good or not so good the 4K (AVC) .mp4 playback is via USB port from external source?

2) Can anyone confirm how good or not so good the HEVC playback is via the USB port from external source?

I do understand this is a 1080p display, but if the higher quality files are supported, I would like to know how well files playback. Please and thank you.
I'd like to help with this.
Where would I find a 4K file to use?
How would I input it? thumbdrive?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #7806 of 7817 Old Yesterday, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
Can somebody help a dummy out?

I can't figure out how to get Netflix (or anything else) into my S recommendations. I've clicked everything there is to click and can't figure it out. I saw a picture in a review that seemed to indictae a list of available services you can select from but I haven't been able to locate that; maybe it's from previous firmware.

When I click on a movie recommendation for a flick I know is on Netflix the only options I get are Vudu and Cinemanow, even though I have the netflix app installed and activated.

I'm assuming this is something really simple I missed somehow.
Have you sucessfully logged into Netflix in the smart apps? You can also use the netflix button on the remote to take you to Netflix.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #7807 of 7817 Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Have you sucessfully logged into Netflix in the smart apps? You can also use the netflix button on the remote to take you to Netflix.
I tried something last night that I hadn't tried before: I went to TV shows instead of movies and picked a few. The ones that are on Netflix opened the app automatically and started playing.

It's only the movies that won't work. I guess it's not that big of a deal, but it would be nice if it did.
post #7808 of 7817 Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM

Hi all, I am very close to pulling the trigger on a 60" 8500. I recently bought a mid range Samsung H6350 led tv and I just can not stand the DSE during hockey and other bright scenes. The hockey ice varied from light ink to plain white to light green depending on where I looked on the screen. That

Anyways, am I to expect some of the same irregularities and cloudiness in an 8500? Is DSE just a fact of life with TVs plasma or not? I'm just so nit picky when it comes to artifacts, clouds, color differences across the screen, etc.

I did search in this (massive) thread and do see some reports of the 8500 having DSE which just scares me. Thoughts? I would most likely be buying it from Amazon. I can't stand Best Buys 15 day policy.
post #7809 of 7817 Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Greetings,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I'd like to help with this.
Where would I find a 4K file to use?
How would I input it? thumbdrive?
You can try from one of the following sources:
http://box.houkouonchi.jp/4k/
http://demo-uhd3d.com/

Both should have examples of needed files. I have a feeling you will get the "resolution not supported" message
post #7810 of 7817 Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What's DSE ???
post #7811 of 7817 Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
What's DSE ???
Dirty Screen Effect. Darker clouds or bands most noticeable on brighter scenes with camera panning.
post #7812 of 7817 Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone tell me what the lower bezel width is on the 60 or 64", not including the stand? Trying to figure out if my center channel will be too big or not.

EDIT: Found it on a review site. bottom is 1.5".

Last edited by webcrawlr; Yesterday at 10:18 AM.
post #7813 of 7817 Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Greetings,

They might be with the 2014 Evo kit on the back of the F8500 (not really sure), but they're definitely not with the TV as it ships. A simple check of the TV's owner manual confirms this. It only supports H.264 up to L4.1 (1080p30) and does not support HEVC.
post #7814 of 7817 Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterKen7 View Post
Hi all, I am very close to pulling the trigger on a 60" 8500. I recently bought a mid range Samsung H6350 led tv and I just can not stand the DSE during hockey and other bright scenes. The hockey ice varied from light ink to plain white to light green depending on where I looked on the screen. That

Anyways, am I to expect some of the same irregularities and cloudiness in an 8500? Is DSE just a fact of life with TVs plasma or not? I'm just so nit picky when it comes to artifacts, clouds, color differences across the screen, etc.

I did search in this (massive) thread and do see some reports of the 8500 having DSE which just scares me. Thoughts? I would most likely be buying it from Amazon. I can't stand Best Buys 15 day policy.
Just make sure you buy it from an authorized dealer who will accept returns/exchanges. My 8500 has DSE, but I hadn't done the research to even know to look for that problem. I didn't notice it until after 30 days or so. I was looking for loud buzzing, stuck pixles, loud fan noise, and micro-fractures. Didn't even think to look for DSE. Good luck!
post #7815 of 7817 Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahighland View Post
Just make sure you buy it from an authorized dealer who will accept returns/exchanges. My 8500 has DSE, but I hadn't done the research to even know to look for that problem. I didn't notice it until after 30 days or so. I was looking for loud buzzing, stuck pixles, loud fan noise, and micro-fractures. Didn't even think to look for DSE. Good luck!
I'll most likely be going with Amazon Prime. It sounds like they have a nice reputation with returns, exchanges, etc. Shipping is also handled by a special 3rd party. I will be checking for every little thing in those first 30 days.

EDIT: It should be here Saturday morning!! Can't wait!

Last edited by HunterKen7; Today at 07:09 AM.
post #7816 of 7817 Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by vahighland View Post
Are you seeing DSE, or just the filter layers when seen from the side?
post #7817 of 7817 Old Today, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
either way the retailer has no direct influence in the manufacturer's decision.
Nothing wrong with a dealer making a call in to see what he can do........
Ph8te likes this.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page