Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 262 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2014, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post
1 regular remote and one voice/motion remote?

What's this voice/motion remote? I don't have anything that sounds like that...
You can speak into the remote if you want to by pressing the microphone button. I'm sure "motion" was referring to the touchpad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2014, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

you're probably see the input lag of the display. you want to adjust the audio sync on your receiver, not the display. the audio on the tv shouldn't do anything if your sources are connected to the avr, and then to speakers. audio never goes through the tv at all.
Unfortunately, I don't think my older Marantz receiver(sr4001) can do audio sync adjustments.

Could renaming the input to "PC" to lower input lag potentially help?
Old 10-02-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlyfeet2 View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think my older Marantz receiver(sr4001) can do audio sync adjustments.

Could renaming the input to "PC" to lower input lag potentially help?
try game mode, it won't affect the picture as much. if it gets better, then at least you know what it is. if it doesn't get any better, then you know what it isn't...

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Old 10-02-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Hello all,
I am on the fence about purchasing a 60"F8500. I am coming from an almost 7 year old 60" Panny PZ700u first 1080P panel. How much has the technology improved on the Sammy? Is it worth the upgrade? I just went to BB Magnolia to look at it and they only had a 51" and it was not calibrated. It is really hard to tell how good the set is when it is surrounded by 4K panels blazing lights. Your advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Great old panny there, night and day quality difference from a current Samsung to an old Panasonic.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hello,
Thanks for the reply! Just ordered a 60" F8500!������
Old 10-03-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyftedLyfe View Post
4 pairs of 3d glasses, 2 remotes, 1 regular remote and one voice/motion remote. ir repeater. manuals, wall mount spacers, and hardware for base stand are what come in the two black boxes
Quote:
1 regular remote and one voice/motion remote?

What's this voice/motion remote? I don't have anything that sounds like that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
This remote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
You can speak into the remote if you want to by pressing the microphone button. I'm sure "motion" was referring to the touchpad.
That's still one remote, not two. I don't have a second anyway.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Are you seeing DSE, or just the filter layers when seen from the side?
I'm seeing DSE as depicted in the following YouTube video, although the 2 vertical bands are near the right side on my Samsung. I'm not looking from the side. Content is not relevent, I can actually see the banding when viewing the screen wipe feature which pans from left to right.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's still one remote, not two. I don't have a second anyway.
then you didn't get the 'normal' remote. it wasn't packaged in on the early release models, and i'm not sure if it ever was in Canada. unless you want to access the service menu, you're not missing much anyway

Old 10-03-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
then you didn't get the 'normal' remote. it wasn't packaged in on the early release models, and i'm not sure if it ever was in Canada. unless you want to access the service menu, you're not missing much anyway
The lack of # buttons is annoying at first, but I've gotten used to it. I can't imagine swiping between home screens and apps or (especially) using the web browser without the touchpad. To me this remote is an essential part of the interactive experience of the TV and I would defintely try to get Samsung to send me one.

That's just my opinion, though.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The lack of # buttons is annoying at first, but I've gotten used to it. I can't imagine swiping between home screens and apps or (especially) using the web browser without the touchpad. To me this remote is an essential part of the interactive experience of the TV and I would defintely try to get Samsung to send me one.

That's just my opinion, though.
what remote are you talking about?

i'm assuming he got the touchpad remote, but did not get the one with the number pad.

so i'm saying missing out on the number pad remote is not a big deal.

that being said, I haven't used either since last june anyway. harmony

Old 10-03-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyftedLyfe View Post
4 pairs of 3d glasses, 2 remotes, 1 regular remote and one voice/motion remote. ir repeater. manuals, wall mount spacers, and hardware for base stand are what come in the two black boxes
Those aren't wall mount spacers. They are ferrite cores.

Perhaps I misremembered.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anybody have a problem with the voice command prompt randomly popping up? Can I just disable that in the settings?
Old 10-03-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post
Anybody have a problem with the voice command prompt randomly popping up? Can I just disable that in the settings?
Yeah, that happened to me a few times when I first got the TV. I was going to disable it but I forgot to and it hasn't happened since. I don't know if a software update helped or not.

From what I understand if you're not going to use it you should just dusable it in the menu.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
After spending a month debating between this one, the LG OLED and the Sony 4Ks 900Bs, decided to go with the 60 inch F8500. Ordered it from Amazon - should be here by Friday next week. Couldn't resist not having the last great plasma - especially when 4k and OLED aren't quite mature yet.

Initially I went to the local BestBuy this morning to buy it but they claimed to not have anymore in stock (apparently in all of Best Buy or at least thats what they told me). They did have an OpenBox 64inch that they were willing to sell for $2000. Now that's a great deal price wise, but I wasn't sure about buying an open box plasma - no idea how long its been there and why it was returned. Also the open box version did not have the stand or the remote which was a deal breaker for me as I can't wall mount.

So anyway, while standing in the BestBuy ordered one from Amazon through my iPhone. Can't wait for it to arrive next week. I am one of those people who believed that if you have a great TV, great amp and great speakers, you can do with any crappy bluray player. But apparently this isn't the case, so I ordered the Oppo 103 as well. Let's see how good that looks.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by qelfulres View Post
just heard that my break-in period is going on and my unit should ship on the 7th and be to me in 2 business days. So early June I will have it in my house and I can't wait!!

I'm not sure how you confused October for June, but I'm sure you can't wait either way! Good choice!!
Ph8te and HLdan like this.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I can't clear the "recently enjoyed" list (8 icon images displayed on the SmartHub panel most to the right). The manual implies that this should work:

Clearing the Recent Playlist
Screen Menu > Smart Features > Remove viewing history > Photos, Videos & Music

But "Remove viewing history" is grayed out and selecting it it says "Not available" (what's the point of having stuff on the menu that is not available?)

For privacy, you'd have to repopulate it with 8 more recent entries!

Old 10-04-2014, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by craygoose View Post
Initially I went to the local BestBuy this morning to buy it but they claimed to not have anymore in stock (apparently in all of Best Buy or at least thats what they told me).
Typically well-informed Best Buy saleperson. They are available from bestbuy.com, and are available for pickup (or delivery) at every Best Buy store in my region (northern New England).
Old 10-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hello,
On Thursday NYC had 6 at there warhouse.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
Typically well-informed Best Buy saleperson. They are available from bestbuy.com, and are available for pickup (or delivery) at every Best Buy store in my region (northern New England).
Yeah I told the salesperson that it is available on their website, but she insisted that the information on the website is inaccurate. Well, their loss. I ended up saving myself the sales tax and half the price of the extended warranty by buying from Amazon. You have to wonder why BestBuy is finding it hard to compete...

Samsung PN60F8500, Oppo BD-103, Pioneer Elite VSX-33, B&W 685B, B&W 686B, B&W HTM62, B&W ASW610
Old 10-04-2014, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Sigh...I had my new 8500 delivered today from Amazon and there is some serious buzz with this set. It is like a death ray pointed straight at my wife's seat on the couch. Also, there are 5 or 6 obvious dark "DSE" vertical bands right in the middle of the screen. (Very obvious while watching hockey.) I'm thinking I might try one swap with Amazon and see how the dice rolls.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterKen7 View Post
Sigh...I had my new 8500 delivered today from Amazon and there is some serious buzz with this set. It is like a death ray pointed straight at my wife's seat on the couch. Also, there are 5 or 6 obvious dark "DSE" vertical bands right in the middle of the screen. (Very obvious while watching hockey.) I'm thinking I might try one swap with Amazon and see how the dice rolls.
What size?
Old 10-04-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
What size?
Sorry, it is the 60". I heard stories of the buzzing going away over time so maybe I'll wait it out. But those darn darker bands just annoy me.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Sorry, it is the 60". I heard stories of the buzzing going away over time so maybe I'll wait it out. But those darn darker bands just annoy me.
I think if you're not happy you should exchange it and not wait it out. I have a 64" and there is no visible DSE on it, so DSE-free sets do exist.

The reason I asked about the size is that the laser beam buzz seems to be most common on the 60" from what I've read. Maybe you should try a different size. 64" is awesome.

I have a slight occasional buzz, but it's no where near loud enough to be a problem and thankfully it's not the laser beam kind. Some days the set doesn't buzz at all.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I think if you're not happy you should exchange it and not wait it out. I have a 64" and there is no visible DSE on it, so DSE-free sets do exist.

The reason I asked about the size is that the laser beam buzz seems to be most common on the 60" from what I've read. Maybe you should try a different size. 64" is awesome.

I have a slight occasional buzz, but it's no where near loud enough to be a problem and thankfully it's not the laser beam kind. Some days the set doesn't buzz at all.
I think I am going to be contacting Amazon and checking out the 64". Seeing as it looks like the freakin price just dropped by about 400 bucks!
Old 10-04-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I think I am going to be contacting Amazon and checking out the 64". Seeing as it looks like the freakin price just dropped by about 400 bucks!
That is nice drop. All of the other dealers still seem to be price-locked.

When I checked the site it said 17 left. I wonder if they'll jack up the price again when those sell out, which I'm assuming will happen very quickly.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just curious.....how far from your Samsung 8500 do some of you sit ?

My friend just got the 64" 8500 but his new pad has him sitting only about 5' from the TV (might be 5 1/2 feet, we didn't measure ). I loved the picture and like sitting close but my eyes -- used to a 50" TV @ 9' -- had trouble adjusting.

I know the Rule of 2.7 says 14'....but what distances are you at for the size you have ?
Old 10-04-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is nice drop. All of the other dealers still seem to be price-locked.
I see that (can we talk prices here ? I don't want to get banned ).

I can say this without getting into specifics: I think AMZN was HIGH as most of the places I saw were either a few hundred below that already or the salesmen would give you 5-10% off list without even asking.

Makes me wonder if my theory about there being excess supply -- most of the PlasmaPhiles already have one or got one earlier or a Panny late last year -- is hitting and folks with $3K or so to spend would rather get a 2015 model and/or 4K model and/or OLED.

Quote:
When I checked the site it said 17 left. I wonder if they'll jack up the price again when those sell out, which I'm assuming will happen very quickly.
We'll see......
Old 10-04-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Just curious.....how far from your Samsung 8500 do some of you sit ?

My friend just got the 64" 8500 but his new pad has him sitting only about 5' from the TV (might be 5 1/2 feet, we didn't measure ). I loved the picture and like sitting close but my eyes -- used to a 50" TV @ 9' -- had trouble adjusting.

I know the Rule of 2.7 says 14'....but what distances are you at for the size you have ?
When I first got my 64" I had to place it on the floor about 6' from the couch and that turned out to be way too close. It was disorienting, gave me eye-fatigue, and sometimes made my head swim a little. Shaky cam scenes were the worst: ex. - the LOST pilot is full of them and I got to the point I couldn't watch them. 6" was fine for the 55" OLED I had before, but it certainly wasn't for the f8500.

I shifted stuff around and I now sit about 11' away and for me that's about the perfect distance. I get none of the negative symptoms from before.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When I first got my 64" I had to place it on the floor about 6' from the couch and that turned out to be way too close. It was disorienting, gave me eye-fatigue, and sometimes made my head swim a little. Shaky cam scenes were the worst: ex. - the LOST pilot is full of them and I got to the point I couldn't watch them. 6" was fine for the 55" OLED I had before, but it certainly wasn't for the f8500. I shifted stuff around and I now sit about 11' away and for me that's about the perfect distance. I get none of the negative symptoms from before.
That's what I experienced last night. I'm sure the effect would at least partially fade away once you got used to it.

But as I said, with years of watching a 50" from 9 feet away -- 64" from less than 6' was a bit of eye strain. I couldn't even really take in the entire TV side-to-side without moving my eyes/head.

Nice problem to have, though !
Old 10-04-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
We'll see......
I just checked Amazon for fun and that 17 is down to 3. Lol

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv