Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 271 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8101 of 8238 Old 10-14-2014, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I'm surprised so many people like the TV in "Movie" mode, to my eyes, it looks terrible.
Interestingly, almost every reviewer who posted their calibrated settings preferred 'Movie Mode', but I used Standard with the same adjustments I 'calibrated' by eye in Movie mode and found Standard 'lifted the veil' while watching football Sunday night, The next day found it too bright and returned to Movie mode. Can't understand the inconsistency in my reactions to settings that should have a definite pattern after 30 days of ownership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 8238 Old 10-14-2014, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
finally caved and bought the PN60F8500 from Bestbuy (in Toronto, Canada) because it was only sale @ $2000 and no tax! Great deal here, by far the best price i've found.
Anyways, hooked it up and it's amazing picture quality, black levels, colour reproduction - everything everyone's commented on the picture has been really accurate.

that said, i definitely also have the audible buzzing from the rear and front of the panel. I sit about 8-10 feet away from the TV and you can definitely hear it directly in front. If you sit at the sides the buzzing literally disappears, very weird. Other members commented before that the buzzing is louder with certain colours which i've also noticed. It's not a deal breaker for me, but i can definitely hear it on quiet scenes or on the PS4 menu screen.

I've updated to the latest firmware and currently running through some slides. I've read through every page about the buzzing and i think i've concluded that there's no real solution to it...while some people either got lucky or just cant hear it.

Aside from the buzzing, the panel itself is superb.
BTW - does anyone know how to fit a sound bar if i'm also using the stand it came with? haha, the stand is a bit unique so i dont see how i can put in a sound bar (i have limited space in a condo for speakers)
post #8103 of 8238 Old 10-14-2014, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Interestingly, almost every reviewer who posted their calibrated settings preferred 'Movie Mode', but I used Standard with the same adjustments I 'calibrated' by eye in Movie mode and found Standard 'lifted the veil' while watching football Sunday night, The next day found it too bright and returned to Movie mode. Can't understand the inconsistency in my reactions to settings that should have a definite pattern after 30 days of ownership.
Movie mods is probably what the film producer intended but I personally like a little more pop and vibrancy which is why I like standard for all things I'm watching.

One setting that really baffles me is setting Sharpness to 0, which is seems every recommended setting says to do, but I feel it make the picture way way to soft.
post #8104 of 8238 Old 10-14-2014, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Movie mods is probably what the film producer intended but I personally like a little more pop and vibrancy which is why I like standard for all things I'm watching.

One setting that really baffles me is setting Sharpness to 0, which is seems every recommended setting says to do, but I feel it make the picture way way to soft.
I run mine in Standard mode, also. I used to use 0 sharpness, but like yourself, felt there was too much softness. My sharpness is at 15 for blu rays and 20 for Directv.
post #8105 of 8238 Old 10-14-2014, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Sharpness of Zero, fattens all the lines - find after calibration, Sharpness will bounce between 10 to 20. Once 22. Definitely do not use Zero. Minimum of 10.
post #8106 of 8238 Old 10-14-2014, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 26
After endless tinkering and experimenting I have my sharpness set to 6.
post #8107 of 8238 Old 10-14-2014, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I had mine at 25, then at 30, but watching Star Trek Into Darkness now I found there is a lot of noise in darker scenes and in people's faces so I backed it back down to 25.
post #8108 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I think a disc like the Disney WOW and using the Purity test will show you if you have banding or not.
Thanks for the tip. Perhaps I'll check that then. I'm not sure if I want to open that can of worms though, because in my experience the second one is usually worse than the one that came before it.

Does adjusting the brightness or sharpness affect the appearance of banding? I thought I read somewhere that as you continue to use a plasma the banding will decrease over time. Is that correct, or is it there for good?
post #8109 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I agree 1000%...how does anyone watch with sharpness at 0?? The picture is dull as hell.
post #8110 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamvmax View Post
I agree 1000%...how does anyone watch with sharpness at 0?? The picture is dull as hell.
I agree this is why I have mine hovering between 5-10. Anymore and I begin to see too much EE. I have no idea how some guys here are getting away with 30
post #8111 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakedbread View Post
that said, i definitely also have the audible buzzing from the rear and front of the panel. I sit about 8-10 feet away from the TV and you can definitely hear it directly in front. If you sit at the sides the buzzing literally disappears, very weird. Other members commented before that the buzzing is louder with certain colours which i've also noticed. It's not a deal breaker for me, but i can definitely hear it on quiet scenes or on the PS4 menu screen.
Has anyone come up with a definitive explanation regarding why the 60" F8500's buzz is so prominent but the 64" panels emit no buzz?
post #8112 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post
Has anyone come up with a definitive explanation regarding why the 60" F8500's buzz is so prominent but the 64" panels emit no buzz?
My 60" F8500's buzz is only audible listening from right up behind the thing in a completely quiet environment.

I should probably qualify that with a "so far..." because my last plasma's buzz got much louder over time.
post #8113 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm not sure that we've come to the conclusion that none of the 64in sets buzz. The data suggesting the 60in models are the buzzers and the 64in models aren't might be more a matter of sample set, rather than engineering.
post #8114 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked View Post
My 60" F8500's buzz is only audible listening from right up behind the thing in a completely quiet environment.

I should probably qualify that with a "so far..." because my last plasma's buzz got much louder over time.
I sit approximately 12' from my 64F8500 and normally watch the display with the picture mode set to: movie using the default options except the motion judder canceller is disabled and the eco solution / energy saving is set to low. This allows the PDP to operate at a noticeably cooler temperature.

I can't hear even a faint buzz unless I stand behind the right side of the panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post
I'm not sure that we've come to the conclusion that none of the 64in sets buzz. The data suggesting the 60in models are the buzzers and the 64in models aren't might be more a matter of sample set, rather than engineering.
It seems 99/100 posts regarding the buzz issue are made by individuals who bought a 60" F8500. I was concerned about this issue until I received my 64" F8500 last spring and determined the panel does not emit an audible buzz when watching it under typical conditions.

I'm assuming the issues reported here are indicative of these PDPs in general.
post #8115 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Mine buzzes a little at times. It's not enough to be a distraction from what is really a fantastic viewing experience.

For instance - when I load Crackle the home screen buzzes for some reason, but the buzz stops when programming begins to play. If the set buzzed like that constantly it would be unbearable; thankfully that's not an issue.

When I play a BR disc the set never seems to buzz at all, no matter what.
post #8116 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
My 64" emits an occasional buzz, nothing that disrupts normal viewing, with the house completely quiet, avr muted, from 8' I hear it during bright white screens. I've read other 64" owners with similar comments. Within a few inches of the screen I can locate the source at the front center of the panel. Before wall mounting it I tried tightening the back metal panel's screws, but all were securely fastened.
post #8117 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
My 64" emits an occasional buzz, nothing that disrupts normal viewing, with the house completely quiet, avr muted, from 8' I hear it during bright white screens. I've read other 64" owners with similar comments. Within a few inches of the screen I can locate the source at the front center of the panel. Before wall mounting it I tried tightening the back metal panel's screws, but all were securely fastened.
My 64" buzzes a bit too, just not enough to be noticed unless I've muted the avr.
post #8118 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 106
My 64F8500 emits a very low frequency buzz that can only be heard when sitting directly in front of the TV. I can sit as far as 10-12ft and hear it. The only way I can hear it is if I turn my head parallel to the TV so that my ear is facing the screen. That's when it very obvious. I don't know if the 60" is louder or who came to that conclusion. Those people that said that must've had both sets and evaluated that. But it's not true that the 64" doesn't buzz.
DJPrelude likes this.
post #8119 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
At the moment it's Movie mode again for me with sharpness 8-10. I agree 0 sharpness was way too soft; after using a Spears pattern I set it as high as 24, but then backed it off. Can't wait to reach the 'set and forget' stage.
post #8120 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by adun79 View Post
Thanks for the replies about the stand , guys.

So I looked online about a new stand, I found various models that you can just lay the set on them. Those are ok for now, but not if I plan to get bigger speakers in the future, since the central one will block the screen

I found the TransDeco one that has shelves and you can mount the tv. I like it, but the distance from the bottom of the tv to the floor is 30". Currently, I have a 50" plasma and the distance to the floor is 24", while my eye sight hits almost in to the middle of the screen. Will 30" be too high for the 64" model? Also I heard the vertical viewing angles are not great, will having the display at that height affect the experience?

Few more questions:

- my plasma always suffered of the blinders effect (horizontal line bleeding); is it present on this model too?

- how are the side viewing angles?

- I was thinking of buying from some of the east coast stores (the other option would be amazon), but I'm based in Chicago. Are the extra $400 worth it or too many headaches?
As far as the question about the east coast threads you should check out this thread Samsung f8500 pricing reduction? and/or the East Coast TV Experiment Thread
post #8121 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Got mine last week. Was think about buying new with the different credit card deals but got lucky and found one locally which was essentially a brand new for a great price (only 100 hours and still wrapped)! I'm absolutely thrilled with this set!

Question on calibration: So I went through and input some of the settings I saw posted in this forum and the TV looks great, but If I really want to dial in the picture some more whats the next step? I'm going to use a calibration disk but will that help my adjust the color accuracy? I want to avoid getting a professional calibration.
post #8122 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by furry View Post
Got mine last week. Was think about buying new with the different credit card deals but got lucky and found one locally which was essentially a brand new for a great price (only 100 hours and still wrapped)! I'm absolutely thrilled with this set!

Question on calibration: So I went through and input some of the settings I saw posted in this forum and the TV looks great, but If I really want to dial in the picture some more whats the next step? I'm going to use a calibration disk but will that help my adjust the color accuracy? I want to avoid getting a professional calibration.

The only real way to get accurate Cora is to buy/rent a meter and use some software to calibrate. In the end you may find your time is better spent hiring someone to do it.

I'm lost in the blue nowhere.
post #8123 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
The only real way to get accurate Cora is to buy/rent a meter and use some software to calibrate. In the end you may find your time is better spent hiring someone to do it.

I'm lost in the blue nowhere.
If I rented a meter and obtained inexpensive software, how close would my calibration be to an experienced professional's? 50%, 70%, 90%?

How much time would it take someone with no knowledge of the topic to learn how competently handle meter/software? Thanks.
post #8124 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
If I rented a meter and obtained inexpensive software, how close would my calibration be to an experienced professional's? 50%, 70%, 90%?

How much time would it take someone with no knowledge of the topic to learn how competently handle meter/software? Thanks.

Depends on the meter and the person. It could take 10-20+ hours to do the calibration of you are learning as you go. The actual learning of how to use one I don't think is "measurable" as there is always something new to learn. I would head over to the Display Calibration section of the forums to see if it something that may interest you. Sometimes it's just easier to pay someone as they will bring experience and MUCH better equipment in most cases.

Sent from an system/360
post #8125 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Is there any way to save calibrated settings as its own picture mode?
post #8126 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Sent from an system/360
Thanks, I'll take a look at the Calibration forum as soon as I finish mounting these tapes.
post #8127 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:

If you have no experience, you are better off buying a meter. I do knot know what it costs to rent one but it will take time to learn and get a good grasp of what is going on. If calibrations were so easy anyone would buy a meter and then charge people in their neighborhood $400 for a calibration. There is a reason why there are professionals who do this kind of stuff.

You can get an i1d3 for around $200 - $250 and use some free software. You can then take your time and learn at your own pace. A great calibration is not going to happen over night for you without having any experience.

Your initial calibration is probably going to suck but the more you do it, the more you read about it and the more tricks you learn that you just did not know the better you will get. Kind of like knowing calibrators often don't touch green in the grey scale if I remember correctly when I dabbled with calibrations. Things like thins that you stumble upon and accidentally find is what will continue to make you better.

Also know, just getting all your levels under the error thresh hold does not mean you have a perfect looking calibrated TV. There are different ways to achieve things and not everything will look the same. I remember reading that you can have a good looking chart but a terrible picture.

Bottom line, expect to spend a lot of time learning and playing but it is pretty fun if you have an interest in it.
Ph8te likes this.

Last edited by eric3316; 10-15-2014 at 12:13 PM.
post #8128 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:

when you get used to a 'calibrated' display, and start seeing the artifacts that come with 'incorrect' settings, it's really hard to go back.

with some stuff, I can totally understand how a sharpness of 0 might look 'soft', but for most of the stuff, seeing sharpness set too high(which I would say is anything over about 10 on the f8500) is far more distracting.

there's always a degree of personal preference too

this has come up before though, I snapped some pics of my f8500

sharpness setting at 0

sharpness setting above 50(don't remember exactly)

same thing with content
setting at 0

setting around 50

and remember, this is zoomed WAY in. this is the full image
eric3316 likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #8129 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post
I sit approximately 12' from my 64F8500 and normally watch the display with the picture mode set to: movie using the default options except the motion judder canceller is disabled and the eco solution / energy saving is set to low. This allows the PDP to operate at a noticeably cooler temperature.

I can't hear even a faint buzz unless I stand behind the right side of the panel.

It seems 99/100 posts regarding the buzz issue are made by individuals who bought a 60" F8500. I was concerned about this issue until I received my 64" F8500 last spring and determined the panel does not emit an audible buzz when watching it under typical conditions.

I'm assuming the issues reported here are indicative of these PDPs in general.
my 64 buzzes, but not offensively so. just the same as anything else that uses high amounts of electricity.

I just think 60 was the most popular size, so more ppl that can hear buzzing ended up with a 60
mightymouseusf likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #8130 of 8238 Old 10-15-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl712 View Post
Is there any way to save calibrated settings as its own picture mode?
I believe one can activate 'cal day' and 'cal night' modes from the service menu; details are most likely in the f8500 settings forum.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page