Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 274 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8191 of 8218 Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post
Call best buy and have it exchanged,or just go to the best buy you purchased the set from and bring your receipt and set up an exchange.

That is what I did a couple of years ago when I bought my GT30 and noticed it looked rather dim and had Best buy come and exchange it for a new one.

So don't fret, it was an easy process,they will take a day or two for the delivery exchange as per norm.

Also, currently I noticed a stuck red pixel towards the the outer right edge of the screen ( inch and a half from bezel) towards the center.

I have been monitoring it to see if it activates itself but in the meantime I contacted Samsung tech support and they might be sending someone over to check it out and get it serviced...I will know more on Monday if they will send someone out to check it.

I can't see the stuck pixel from 4 feet out or from my viewing area but being that these sets are going to be extinct soon and avs ocd, ha,ha...like many of you,I might as well get my money's worth and get this corrected.
One of their salespeople kind of implied I was out of luck if I didn't have a vehicle big enough to get it back to the store on my own. Lol

My return period is up in 2 days though (stupid 15 day return policy and not being able to have it delivered for a week). If I do get a set with worse issues, I wonder if they'll extend it a little? I'd hate to exchange it a second time, but you never know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8192 of 8218 Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked View Post
One of their salespeople kind of implied I was out of luck if I didn't have a vehicle big enough to get it back to the store on my own. Lol

My return period is up in 2 days though (stupid 15 day return policy and not being able to have it delivered for a week). If I do get a set with worse issues, I wonder if they'll extend it a little? I'd hate to exchange it a second time, but you never know...

I would be in the store at 10 am with receipt in hand and talk to customer service and or the manager and I would not leave until my needs have been met.

Persistance is a virtue.
HLdan likes this.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #8193 of 8218 Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

15-day return period does not start until you receive the HDTV.
post #8194 of 8218 Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Best Buy provides in-home service for HDTV larger than 47".
post #8195 of 8218 Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
15-day return period does not start until you receive the HDTV.
I should really never listen to anything Best Buy employees tell me. I should have learned that a long time ago.
post #8196 of 8218 Old Today, 02:19 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzfan84 View Post
What is the best motion judder canceller mode for watching blu rays? I turned it off and some movement looked unnatural at times. I'm coming from the h7150 which had a mode called clear which seemed to be best all around. I'm wondering if there's one for this, or if off is the best you can get.
You need to hit Off again on motion judder canceller. Everything should be normal after that.
post #8197 of 8218 Old Today, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I been searching and can't seem to figure out how to stop the Samsung and Yahoo App PopUp/Notifications from showing up. When watching football I get a PopUp in the middle right of the screen to launch the Samsung Fantasy App. I also have seen a Yahoo notification too. I made sure to turn off all notifications etc in the TV settings but I must be missing something. See pics. Can someone help?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413757099.939163.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	320354Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413757111.676607.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	320362
post #8198 of 8218 Old Today, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I should really never listen to anything Best Buy employees tell me. I should have learned that a long time ago.
A purchase this big should also give you "elite" status with Best Buy, which gives you 30 days, not 15. That's how I managed to price match the $3100 I paid just over a month ago to the recent price drop to $2499 on day 29.

Link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global-P...at309300050007

Last edited by wxaxgxs; Today at 03:36 PM.
post #8199 of 8218 Old Today, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
my 64 buzzes, but not offensively so. just the same as anything else that uses high amounts of electricity.

I just think 60 was the most popular size, so more ppl that can hear buzzing ended up with a 60
My 64" buzzes pretty bad (I can hear it at 15 feet) but I don't generally notice it while watching except during, for example, a very quiet scene in a movie. The gf has never mentioned anything about it (and I was careful to never mention it) so I've let it be. It also has slight vertical banding, but I've only ever honestly noticed it during the scrolling screen. Overall I'm very happy with the TV, particularly with the 2014 interface which has let me dump the god-awful X1 guide from the terrible monopoly of a corporation that is Comcast.
post #8200 of 8218 Old Today, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzfan84 View Post
What is the best motion judder canceller mode for watching blu rays? I turned it off and some movement looked unnatural at times. I'm coming from the h7150 which had a mode called clear which seemed to be best all around. I'm wondering if there's one for this, or if off is the best you can get.
Why would ANY motion look unnatural. It's a freaking plasma! I have what has been called a much inferior 10-year old Panasonic plasma (great natural picture) which has never had this issue.
post #8201 of 8218 Old Today, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post
You need to hit Off again on motion judder canceller. Everything should be normal after that.
You have to turn motion judder on then off after disabling Cinema Smooth. Disabling Cinema Smooth turns on the motion judder even though the display says the motion judder is off.
post #8202 of 8218 Old Today, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
So got it put up and a few basic settings. Very impressed with picture out of the box. Destroys my previous sony hx909.

The buzzing is annoying. Coming from an LCD not used to any buzz. I read it gets better as it breaks in. Lets hope.

I talked to two Best Buy (one Magnolia) salesman who said they have never had a return because of buzzing. My friend's set has zero buzz. Is it just the 1% who get defective sets complaining?
post #8203 of 8218 Old Today, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
You have to turn motion judder on then off after disabling Cinema Smooth. Disabling Cinema Smooth turns on the motion judder even though the display says the motion judder is off.
This did the trick. Thank you to both of you!
post #8204 of 8218 Old Today, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I just jumped on the F8500 bandwagon after the recent price drop due to not being entirely satisfied with an ST60 (Both 50 inch models). My first 51F8500 had a stuck green pixel. The replacement seems fine so far. Neither had any buzz.

Now don't get me wrong,,, the ST60 is a fine TV (I'm selling it to a friend who is not as picky about uniformity as I am at a nice discount) but the F8500 blows it away (Like you would expect it to considering the original price difference).

Last night I hooked them up to a HDMI splitter and fed them the same blu-ray signal. Viewing distance is about eight feet away.

The F8500 is sharper (I understand this is due to a tighter pixel dot pitch), gives me much less 'rainbow effect' than the Panny and has much better screen uniformity than the multiple STs I've had in my possession (when the ST60 ABL kicks in I get a pink blob in the center of the screen...every 50ST60 I've seen does this to a certain extent...very apparent on the Eco Menu). I also haven't seen any DSE or line bleed on the Samsung yet. Both were much more apparent on the ST60.

The black levels and colors go to the Panny for now but it has the benefit of a DIY home calibration and about 1200 more hours on the panel. I imagine this gap with close a bit when the F8500 is broken in (it only has about 12 hours on it as I write this). The ST60 looks blurry to me next to the F8500 but I DO prefer the motion on the Panny when displaying a 24p signal in 60hz mode to the Samsung in Cinema Smooth. Not to say the Samsung looks bad but the Panasonic's 'secret sauce' is very effective here.

Anyways...very happy to join the owner's club. This is the best TV I've ever owned (and my first 'flagship' model since and XBR CRT purchased in 1997 unless a A3000 SXRD counts) and I'd like to say I've owned some pretty nice TVs. Can't wait to get two hundred hours on it and calibrate it!
Plasma should have ZERO issues with motion.
post #8205 of 8218 Old Today, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a brand new 51" being delivered on Wednesday. I've also purchased the new Samsung GX-SM530CF >> http://www.samsung.com/us/video/blu-...GX-SM530CF/XAA << that will act as my cable card set-top box.

What I'd like to know regarding calibrating the set in the future with AVS HD 709 is will using the USB port via the set-top box make any difference at all? From what I'm reading in various threads here is the majority of people are using blu-ray as the source, but I haven't seen anything regarding using USB as being beneficial for such a scenario? Basically I'd like to be able to calibrate the Samsung cable card device, since it has two USB inputs. I've already downloaded/extracted the AVS mp4 file to a USB stick, but I'm not sure if calibrating this set-top box via USB will be of any benefit to this device? I would value anyone's opinion on this matter.

EDIT:
I understand I'm calibrating the TV set and not the set-top box. Just wanted to clarify that. However, given the source I'm using, will calibrating this TV via the USB port on the Samsung set-top box be of any benefit to the TV since it differs from calibrating via blu-ray?

Last edited by sumguy91; Today at 04:31 PM. Reason: added clarification
post #8206 of 8218 Old Today, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxaxgxs View Post
My 64" buzzes pretty bad (I can hear it at 15 feet) but I don't generally notice it while watching except during, for example, a very quiet scene in a movie. The gf has never mentioned anything about it (and I was careful to never mention it) so I've let it be. It also has slight vertical banding, but I've only ever honestly noticed it during the scrolling screen. Overall I'm very happy with the TV, particularly with the 2014 interface which has let me dump the god-awful X1 guide from the terrible monopoly of a corporation that is Comcast.
I actually find the buzz easier to notice from my second row(about 18feet) than from the front row(12ish).

in either case, it's something I have to listen for. the only time i'll notice it 'by accident' is when switching from a bright white webpage to a dark one or vice versa. it's not so much the buzz but the change that I find annoying.

as for the guide, wish I had a clue. absolutely everything has to go through the cable companies box here. they changed this almost 2yrs ago, and it drives me nuts. I used to use my HTPC to pvr shows, and now that tuner card is completely useless.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #8207 of 8218 Old Today, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Plasma should have ZERO issues with motion.
see, I have a problem with this kind of statement.

now, I don't want to argue that plasma isn't the best for motion, or anything like that, but if I read the above statement and didn't know any better, I'd have a lot of TV's to return right now...

the truth is, there's a TON of issues with motion. motion looks close to terrible. but this seems to be more about the content than the display. with the S&M test disc, 24p content looks terrible, 30p content looks terrible, even 60p content looks terrible. NONE of it is smooth on any display I've tried. oddly enough, the one format that did look stellar was 1080p60i. after seeing that, I thought 'why are we not using this?'. the scrolling pattern looked better than I've ever seen even with frame interpolation, but the content didn't look at 'fake' like it does with the FI. it just looked natural, like looking through a window.

anyway, I'm getting off point here. all I'm saying is that it's misleading to make a statement like that, because you WILL see problems with motion on a plasma. there is really no content you can play that won't result in choppy pans, or double images, even on a plasma. if you're going to say plasmas have perfect motion, you really should add an explanation for why none of them actually provide perfect motion.

post #8208 of 8218 Old Today, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy91 View Post
I have a brand new 51" being delivered on Wednesday. I've also purchased the new Samsung GX-SM530CF >> http://www.samsung.com/us/video/blu-...GX-SM530CF/XAA << that will act as my cable card set-top box.

What I'd like to know regarding calibrating the set in the future with AVS HD 709 is will using the USB port via the set-top box make any difference at all? From what I'm reading in various threads here is the majority of people are using blu-ray as the source, but I haven't seen anything regarding using USB as being beneficial for such a scenario? Basically I'd like to be able to calibrate the Samsung cable card device, since it has two USB inputs. I've already downloaded/extracted the AVS mp4 file to a USB stick, but I'm not sure if calibrating this set-top box via USB will be of any benefit to this device? I would value anyone's opinion on this matter.

EDIT:
I understand I'm calibrating the TV set and not the set-top box. Just wanted to clarify that. However, given the source I'm using, will calibrating this TV via the USB port on the Samsung set-top box be of any benefit to the TV since it differs from calibrating via blu-ray?
it's been a while, and many fw updates since I looked, but I think the usb has different settings than the hdmi inputs. you may not be able to access all the calibration options while playing video back through the usb.

other than that(which may not be the case anymore) it shouldn't really matter. unless you're set top box alters the video in some way, you should get exactly the same video whether it's plugged in to hdmi, the usb on the tv, or the usb on your box. it might be useful to just confirm this, and if there is a difference, then you can decide which one you want to calibrate more accurately. most ppl I'm sure would prefer their blurays are accurate, since tv stations tend to do whatever they want anyway, and it's not always a reference source.

in a perfect world, you'd be able to calibrate your display, then calibrate your sources as well. so that every source looks the same on your display. hdmi is supposed to make this unnecessary. every hdmi connected source SHOULD look the same, so if you calibrate through the bluray, then every other hdmi source should also be calibrated.

post #8209 of 8218 Old Today, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)

Quote:

in a perfect world, you'd be able to calibrate your display, then calibrate your sources as well. so that every source looks the same on your display. hdmi is supposed to make this unnecessary. every hdmi connected source SHOULD look the same, so if you calibrate through the bluray, then every other hdmi source should also be calibrated.

Most owners who do calibration of their tv's via their bluray players need to make sure they are bypassing the bluray player's video processor (i.e. set source direct mode). If you've tweaked your video processor on your bluray player, insert your calibration disc into your player, then calibrate your tv, all your other hdmi video sources (i.e. STB/DVR, htpc, etc) will be off.
fierce_gt likes this.

Last edited by DanF8500; Today at 05:35 PM.
post #8210 of 8218 Old Today, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
it's been a while, and many fw updates since I looked, but I think the usb has different settings than the hdmi inputs. you may not be able to access all the calibration options while playing video back through the usb.

other than that(which may not be the case anymore) it shouldn't really matter. unless you're set top box alters the video in some way, you should get exactly the same video whether it's plugged in to hdmi, the usb on the tv, or the usb on your box. it might be useful to just confirm this, and if there is a difference, then you can decide which one you want to calibrate more accurately. most ppl I'm sure would prefer their blurays are accurate, since tv stations tend to do whatever they want anyway, and it's not always a reference source.

Appreciate the feedback. A lot of what you're saying makes sense. This device will be connected via HDMI. It doesn't have Component/Composite. Only HDMI as its source. So with that in mind, wouldn't calibrating via USB through this device (since it's the only way to use a calibration disc) be the same as calibrating via blu ray since both devices are connected to the TV via HDMI? Or am I missing something here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Most owners who do calibration of their tv's via their bluray players need to make sure they are bypassing the bluray player's video processor (i.e. set source direct mode). If you've tweaked your video processor on your bluray player, insert your calibration disc into your player, then calibrate your tv, all your other hdmi video sources (i.e. STB/DVR) will be off.
This is interesting. Once the cable card device arrives I'll have to keep this in mind. BTW Dan, I noticed in previous posts in this thread that you also have this model in 51"? I'd be curious what your calibration settings are for this particular size, since I too will be going with the 51". Anything I should know as far as breaking it in and whatnot? I'd appreciate your opinion. Thanks!
post #8211 of 8218 Old Today, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxaxgxs View Post
A purchase this big should also give you "elite" status with Best Buy, which gives you 30 days, not 15. That's how I managed to price match the $3100 I paid just over a month ago to the recent price drop to $2499 on day 29.

Link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global-P...at309300050007
While it worked for you the thing you buy that puts you into elite status is not supposed to count toward the 30 day return.
post #8212 of 8218 Old Today, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I was poking around a bit and downloaded Zen Pinball on my PS4. The free table in there is pretty decent, and the 3d is very well done. It's a good show-off for the f8500's 3d capabilities.

The lag, however, was not so good. The noticeable delay between button-press and flipper movement rendered the game almost unplayable. So I finally decided to try the "PC rename" thing (I hadn't up to this point because I haven't gamed much so far). Lo and behold: the lag almost disappeared and the game became playable.

Playing Zen pinball is a great way to test the lag before and after the "rename" trick; the difference is very apparent. After trying both I would think it's almost mandatory to rename all of your console inputs to "PC".
post #8213 of 8218 Old Today, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
see, I have a problem with this kind of statement.

now, I don't want to argue that plasma isn't the best for motion, or anything like that, but if I read the above statement and didn't know any better, I'd have a lot of TV's to return right now...

the truth is, there's a TON of issues with motion. motion looks close to terrible. but this seems to be more about the content than the display. with the S&M test disc, 24p content looks terrible, 30p content looks terrible, even 60p content looks terrible. NONE of it is smooth on any display I've tried. oddly enough, the one format that did look stellar was 1080p60i. after seeing that, I thought 'why are we not using this?'. the scrolling pattern looked better than I've ever seen even with frame interpolation, but the content didn't look at 'fake' like it does with the FI. it just looked natural, like looking through a window.

anyway, I'm getting off point here. all I'm saying is that it's misleading to make a statement like that, because you WILL see problems with motion on a plasma. there is really no content you can play that won't result in choppy pans, or double images, even on a plasma. if you're going to say plasmas have perfect motion, you really should add an explanation for why none of them actually provide perfect motion.

I have a Panasonic commercial plasma...the Panasonic TH50PHD7UY.....absolutely ZERO motions issues. NONE.
post #8214 of 8218 Old Today, 08:58 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Yes, most of here know this.. All you have to do is press Off again.When you turn Cinema Smooth off MJC is rendered ON but says Off. Just press Off, there is no need to turn On MJC to turn Off.
post #8215 of 8218 Old Today, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post
Yes, most of here know this.. All you have to do is press Off again.When you turn Cinema Smooth off MJC is rendered ON but says Off. Just press Off, there is no need to turn On MJC to turn Off.
Ok. Thanks. Awaiting delivery of my 64F8500 and a little leery because some of the problems noted in this thread that never occurred on my Panasonic plasma; e.g., motion problems, buzzing.
post #8216 of 8218 Old Today, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy91 View Post
Appreciate the feedback. A lot of what you're saying makes sense. This device will be connected via HDMI. It doesn't have Component/Composite. Only HDMI as its source. So with that in mind, wouldn't calibrating via USB through this device (since it's the only way to use a calibration disc) be the same as calibrating via blu ray since both devices are connected to the TV via HDMI? Or am I missing something here?

it 'should' be, as long as that device doesn't alter anything.

the only 100% guaranteed method is to play back the test patterns on the same device, the same way you'd watch media(ie, a bluray test disc on your bluray player. But, as long as your device doesn't have any settings, or in some other way alters the signal, then yes, it won't matter how you play the patterns.

to give you a real world example of when it can be a headache, when I calibrated my display, I originally just played the avs patterns off my htpc. but I suspected my video card settings may not be 'right', so I loaded up the test patterns on a usb and played them off my ps3. what I discovered was that the ps3 clips whites when playing off a usb, so I really needed to burn the avs patterns to a disc, and then play the disc off the ps3(my bluray player). then, after calibrating with the ps3, I could then adjust my HTPC's video card settings, so that it was also accurate. my cable box, which does not have any options as far as I can tell, looks 'right' but I have no way of actually checking.

so again, what 'should' happen, and what does happen, may not be exactly the same. I was surprised that the ps3 would playback content off a usb differently than off a disc. but I think you start going down a slippery slope to insanity if you start worrying too much. even when I used my HTPC with 'incorrect' video card settings, the calibration looked good with the ps3, my cable, and all my sources. even though it was off, it wasn't by much

post #8217 of 8218 Old Today, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
I was poking around a bit and downloaded Zen Pinball on my PS4. The free table in there is pretty decent, and the 3d is very well done. It's a good show-off for the f8500's 3d capabilities.

The lag, however, was not so good. The noticeable delay between button-press and flipper movement rendered the game almost unplayable. So I finally decided to try the "PC rename" thing (I hadn't up to this point because I haven't gamed much so far). Lo and behold: the lag almost disappeared and the game became playable.

Playing Zen pinball is a great way to test the lag before and after the "rename" trick; the difference is very apparent. After trying both I would think it's almost mandatory to rename all of your console inputs to "PC".
have you tried game mode? it's pretty close to pc, but gives you a lot more calibration options, and therefore a better overall image.

I would agree though, playing most games without using game mode or pc mode is just plain frustrating. but pc mode is very acceptable and still has a good image

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page