Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 275 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8221 of 8238 Old Yesterday, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
see, I have a problem with this kind of statement.

now, I don't want to argue that plasma isn't the best for motion, or anything like that, but if I read the above statement and didn't know any better, I'd have a lot of TV's to return right now...

the truth is, there's a TON of issues with motion. motion looks close to terrible. but this seems to be more about the content than the display. with the S&M test disc, 24p content looks terrible, 30p content looks terrible, even 60p content looks terrible. NONE of it is smooth on any display I've tried. oddly enough, the one format that did look stellar was 1080p60i. after seeing that, I thought 'why are we not using this?'. the scrolling pattern looked better than I've ever seen even with frame interpolation, but the content didn't look at 'fake' like it does with the FI. it just looked natural, like looking through a window.

anyway, I'm getting off point here. all I'm saying is that it's misleading to make a statement like that, because you WILL see problems with motion on a plasma. there is really no content you can play that won't result in choppy pans, or double images, even on a plasma. if you're going to say plasmas have perfect motion, you really should add an explanation for why none of them actually provide perfect motion.

Perhaps I have had no issues because my HDTV has a resolution of 1366x768 which is better for motion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8222 of 8238 Old Yesterday, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddadudda View Post
I been searching and can't seem to figure out how to stop the Samsung and Yahoo App PopUp/Notifications from showing up. When watching football I get a PopUp in the middle right of the screen to launch the Samsung Fantasy App. I also have seen a Yahoo notification too. I made sure to turn off all notifications etc in the TV settings but I must be missing something. See pics. Can someone help?Attachment 320354Attachment 320362
Menu - App Settings - Auto Ticker - Off.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #8223 of 8238 Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
Ok. Thanks. Awaiting delivery of my 64F8500 and a little leery because some of the problems noted in this thread that never occurred on my Panasonic plasma; e.g., motion problems, buzzing.
You shouldnt have to worry about buzzing. Not many 64s have it. Its the 60s you have to watch out for. As for motion, some of us used to have a motion hiccup that would make the screen studder while panning. It was a quick studder that you probably would see maybe once or twice a movie. I have this problem no more. All my movies render the way they should.
post #8224 of 8238 Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just purchased the 60F8500 and cannot wait for it. I am coming from a history of LEDs and I just could not stand the motion rating and black levels. I come from being more of an audiophile than a videophile, but for the full experience the picture is definitely essential. I can't wait.

Samsung Plasma 60F8500
Onkyo 818 7.2 Receiver
Definitive Technology CS-8060HD
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST (2)
Definitive Technology SR-8080BP (2)
Xbox One Kinect Console
post #8225 of 8238 Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I talked to two Best Buy (one Magnolia) salesman who said they have never had a return because of buzzing. My friend's set has zero buzz. Is it just the 1% who get defective sets complaining?
Yeah I'm not sure. Frys has 1 more 60 in and I'm on hold right now gonna try to exchange it.
post #8226 of 8238 Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Yeah I'm not sure. Frys has 1 more 60 in and I'm on hold right now gonna try to exchange it.
I would think Frys would get more in stock. To my knowledge, no major retailer has run out of the sets where they cannot reorder.
post #8227 of 8238 Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
I would think Frys would get more in stock. To my knowledge, no major retailer has run out of the sets where they cannot reorder.
They have a few 64s in stock too. Thinking i am going to exchange/upgrade as it seems like people have better luck with it.
post #8228 of 8238 Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
They have a few 64s in stock too. Thinking i am going to exchange/upgrade as it seems like people have better luck with it.
I think that is a good idea since to get the full benefits of 1080i you need a large screen and/or sit quite close. For example, from 10 feet on a 50" set, you cannot tell 720p from 1080i. In fact, 720p may look better.
post #8229 of 8238 Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am struggling with this set or one of these 4K sets.

ugh, the 65 curved Samsung 4K looks pretty good as I saw it in the store, PQ was pretty damn impressive.

but it's so hard to tell just from reading when I can't see them side by side.

anyone have any insight?

I don't care about anything but PQ, I use external audio and don't care about smart TV or 3D. Just want MAX PQ over blu-ray or Dish HD, amazon streaming, etc.

is Cleveland a authorized dealer for this? I sent a PM and got a price but forgot to ask.

I don't want to get this one now and then in year or two when the 4K content is out be disappointed. I have enjoyed my DLP so far but am in the market for a bigger better set.

Thanks guys for any insight you may have.
post #8230 of 8238 Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
I am struggling with this set or one of these 4K sets.

ugh, the 65 curved Samsung 4K looks pretty good as I saw it in the store, PQ was pretty damn impressive.

but it's so hard to tell just from reading when I can't see them side by side.

anyone have any insight?

I don't care about anything but PQ, I use external audio and don't care about smart TV or 3D. Just want MAX PQ over blu-ray or Dish HD, amazon streaming, etc.

is Cleveland a authorized dealer for this? I sent a PM and got a price but forgot to ask.

I don't want to get this one now and then in year or two when the 4K content is out be disappointed. I have enjoyed my DLP so far but am in the market for a bigger better set.

Thanks guys for any insight you may have.

It's still early in the 4k cycle you need to know going in that most likely you'll need a new TV is a few years to take advantage of the full offerings of UHD. Since you are not looking at upgrading to 4k for the next 2-3 years why not get the f8500 and let the turmoil that is UHD simmer down and become more standard. The f8500 is one of the best 1080p sets available today. Being worried that you'll be disappointed in 2 years when 4k is here is trading all of that time from now until then without enjoying an excellent TV.

Sent from an system/360
post #8231 of 8238 Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
Menu - App Settings - Auto Ticker - Off.

Thanks but that is already turned off and it's still showing up. I didn't just turn it was off when I just went to make sure after seeing your post.
post #8232 of 8238 Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks but that is already turned off and it's still showing up. I didn't just turn it was off when I just went to make sure after seeing your post.
How about SyncPlus under app settings? I am pretty sure that's where I turned mine off at.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #8233 of 8238 Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
How about SyncPlus under app settings? I am pretty sure that's where I turned mine off at.

I think your right! Finally. I didn't check there because I never used it but "Broadcast interactivity" had them all enabled. Thank you very much for the help.
post #8234 of 8238 Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Plasma all the way. Natural Viewing, no computer artificial such as upscaling bla bla bla! My friend put on The Winter soldier on blu ray at 1080P and tried the up scaling, it looked terrible! The viewing angles, natural tones, black levels are so amazing!
post #8235 of 8238 Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think your right! Finally. I didn't check there because I never used it but "Broadcast interactivity" had them all enabled. Thank you very much for the help.
Great. Happy to help.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #8236 of 8238 Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Question

Apologize if similar issues have been posted. I've had this TV (51in) about 2 weeks. I have a weird issue where about 1-2 hours in of watching sat TV via DirecTV I slowly start to get color static. It starts very sporadically and then slowly builds to where it is near constant and then the picture starts to black out for 1-2 seconds. That slowly builds until the picture is constantly blacking in and out combined with color static. Sound is not impacted; just the picture. It specifically happened while watching HBO and also happened towards the end of watching a recorded program on my DTV HR34-700.

I have it connected to a Pioneer VSX-21TXH receiver that is a few years old. It's HDMI 1.3 if that matters. Hoping this is not a major tv issue. Maybe a bad HDMI cord tv or tv being HDMI 1.4 doesn't play well with HDMI 1.3 receiver or cable? Would that even matter? I'm out of date on my tv knowledge....
post #8237 of 8238 Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouBet View Post
Apologize if similar issues have been posted. I've had this TV (51in) about 2 weeks. I have a weird issue where about 1-2 hours in of watching sat TV via DirecTV I slowly start to get color static. It starts very sporadically and then slowly builds to where it is near constant and then the picture starts to black out for 1-2 seconds. That slowly builds until the picture is constantly blacking in and out combined with color static. Sound is not impacted; just the picture. It specifically happened while watching HBO and also happened towards the end of watching a recorded program on my DTV HR34-700.

I have it connected to a Pioneer VSX-21TXH receiver that is a few years old. It's HDMI 1.3 if that matters. Hoping this is not a major tv issue. Maybe a bad HDMI cord tv or tv being HDMI 1.4 doesn't play well with HDMI 1.3 receiver or cable? Would that even matter? I'm out of date on my tv knowledge....

Can you return/exchange? If I TV I bought had that issue I'd return it right away. You never know if it's going to get worse.
post #8238 of 8238 Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouBet View Post

You need to try a blu ray player to see if this same occurrence happens with that before you take it back. It could be a cable or your directv receiver.

Samsung 60F8500
LG 55LHX
LG BH200
2 PS3's
post #8239 of 8238 Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Further developments....

I channel surfed for about 30 minutes tonight. Everything is fine. Watched latest episode of Walking Dead from DVR list. Fine. Switch over to HBO from the guide after finishing TWD and immediately get a No Signal message on screen for my HDMI1 port where it's plugged into.

Tests I conducted....
1. Switched out HDMI cable. Same error.
2. Played blu-ray. It works fine but sound only from TV speakers.
3. Samsung SmartHub function seems to work fine. I played Star Trek from the Netflix SmartHub albeit sound from TV speakers only.

I'm assuming either my receiver or my Genie has died and it's not the TV?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page