Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 276 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8251 of 8260 Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouBet View Post
Further developments....

I channel surfed for about 30 minutes tonight. Everything is fine. Watched latest episode of Walking Dead from DVR list. Fine. Switch over to HBO from the guide after finishing TWD and immediately get a No Signal message on screen for my HDMI1 port where it's plugged into.

Tests I conducted....
1. Switched out HDMI cable. Same error.
2. Played blu-ray. It works fine but sound only from TV speakers.
3. Samsung SmartHub function seems to work fine. I played Star Trek from the Netflix SmartHub albeit sound from TV speakers only.

I'm assuming either my receiver or my Genie has died and it's not the TV?
Its not the tv

Samsung 60F8500
LG 55LHX
LG BH200
2 PS3's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8252 of 8260 Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
People need to stop freaking over 4K. People will still be able to use their current tv's well into the future. Unless the tv manufacturers strong arm the fcc into making all cable companies go 4K when they can barely do true 1080p, 1080p owners should be just fine over the next 5 years.Blu ray will still be on the shelves just like dvds still are. Plus, are these new 4K televisions going to make everyone throw away the blu's they already own? Cuz I sure as heck aint. Im going to be watching all my movies well into the future.For godsake The Blob 1988 just came to blu a week ago. There is no way ill see a 4K master of that movie for the next 10-15 years, if ever. Calm down and go buy an F8500.

Samsung 60F8500
LG 55LHX
LG BH200
2 PS3's
post #8253 of 8260 Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Adding to the buzzing conversation. I just set up my 51' that I received and the buzzing is unbelievably bad. I noticed it right when I started to do the set-up with the all blue screen. It then seemed to fade a bit but once I turned on the PS3 it was audible again. I started watching The Master which has a lot of very bright and very dark screens and the buzz was unbearable on the bright scenes. My wife walked into the room and said "God, that sounds horrible, is that the TV?" On bright scenes you can hear the TV from the entire living room, this is with the volume at 14-15. After a little investigation I found if you press on the back of the rear panel the buzz completely goes away for both bright and very light buzz for dark scenes.

I used a decibel meter on my phone and held it next to the TV. It's not entirely perfect but you can see the first section is a normal light scene that shows spikes when the screen goes white. Seemed to spike around 33db. Then on dark scene you can see the dramatic drop to around 24db. Obviously this is not normal, I hope My guess is this set will need to be exchanged or serviced. I bought the set from Value Electronics so it's not easy to exchange, I also don't know if exchanging for buzzing will result in a restocking fee. The other option is going the route of a Samsung Tech. I just can't imagine this buzz will get better with time.
post #8254 of 8260 Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean33 View Post
Adding to the buzzing conversation. I just set up my 51' that I received and the buzzing is unbelievably bad. I noticed it right when I started to do the set-up with the all blue screen. It then seemed to fade a bit but once I turned on the PS3 it was audible again. I started watching The Master which has a lot of very bright and very dark screens and the buzz was unbearable on the bright scenes. My wife walked into the room and said "God, that sounds horrible, is that the TV?" On bright scenes you can hear the TV from the entire living room, this is with the volume at 14-15. After a little investigation I found if you press on the back of the rear panel the buzz completely goes away for both bright and very light buzz for dark scenes.

I used a decibel meter on my phone and held it next to the TV. It's not entirely perfect but you can see the first section is a normal light scene that shows spikes when the screen goes white. Seemed to spike around 33db. Then on dark scene you can see the dramatic drop to around 24db. Obviously this is not normal, I hope My guess is this set will need to be exchanged or serviced. I bought the set from Value Electronics so it's not easy to exchange, I also don't know if exchanging for buzzing will result in a restocking fee. The other option is going the route of a Samsung Tech. I just can't imagine this buzz will get better with time.

I would hope that Value Electronics would consider that a defect. Could you respond Mr. Zohn? Tx.
post #8255 of 8260 Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
I would hope that Value Electronics would consider that a defect. Could you respond Mr. Zohn? Tx.
Here is a much cleaner db view of going from a dark to light scene. I'm going to make some phone calls tomorrow. I wish there was a quick fix to just tighten the rear panel. Anyone know why slightly pressing on the top left of the rear panel (where the large vent is) would eliminate the buzz?

post #8256 of 8260 Old Today, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
well it will be WAY longer than two years until I buy another one. I kept my DLP for 8 years now. So I guess I just don't want to lock myself into sub-par tech since the 4K are out now.
Buying almost any LED TV out right now will be locking you into sub-par tech.
Breathing Borla likes this.
post #8257 of 8260 Old Today, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Ugh...the buzzing story scares me. I'll have my THIRD PN51F8500 delivered today and buzzing is the one problem I haven't had yet. The first set had a stuck green pixel about eight inches in from the lower right corner. The second set is a complete nightmare...flashes and 'sizzles' ( a loud brief buzz like static noise from the panel) when first turned on and I've heard it starting ticking from time to time (sounds like it's coming from the lower right side of the TV and strangely enough shows up on dark rather than bright content). It also smells funny...like burning plastic. It's now unplugged.

My sets were purchased locally and the serial numbers are only about two digits apart so I'm hoping they just got a bad batch and that their new shipment will be better. I LOVED the picture on the set that came closest to working but it's been all down hill from there and I'm tired of dealing with it (It's two weeks today since I bought the TV).

It took a good experience with my Galaxy S5 phone to even allow me to consider Samsung again after they ditched firmware updates on a blu-ray player from about five years ago that wouldn't play half the discs I put into it. My retailer has been awesome but I also reached out to Samsung and we'll see if they contact me today. I want their support in case my retailer gives up on me, and frankly if I get a working set I'm going to ask if Samsung would consider giving me a discount on an extended warranty.

My failures have been pretty blatant so far but I'm worried I'll get a set with a minor defect that I might be able to get replaced under different circumstances but will be a bridge to far for a fourth set!

Last edited by AMartin56; Today at 04:53 AM. Reason: typos
post #8258 of 8260 Old Today, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Can Netflix app be accessed with "one button" from remote?

I subscribe to NetFlix and Amazon. My Samsung remote has specific buttons for Amazon and Netflix but they don't do anything when pressed.

How can I setup set so I can access these services/apps from the remote buttons, rather then accessing Smart Hub and using remote to select the app and start it?
I also have the Evolution Hub/kit installed.
post #8259 of 8260 Old Today, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Looks like I'm going to be exchanging my 64" I got from best buy.

I have the Black Optimizer issue
post #8260 of 8260 Old Today, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Netflix app on my F8500 a couple weeks ago stopped supporting Dolby Digital Plus. Presumably the change came with a software update. Anyone know why? Is there any chance it will change back? And why would they do that?
post #8261 of 8260 Old Today, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
geez, rash of issues.

kinda scary
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page