Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 277 - AVS Forum
First ... 275  276  277 278  279  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 09:10 AM 10-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
Here in Northern CA just says 3-5 days. Best Buy's rarely keep such big tickets items on stock. However, not having them in stock here and have no ETA on them is another matter. Did a Magnolia salesperson communicate this to you? What region are you in? Salesman had told me getting scarce on East Coast. Web site for my city still lets me order three (max it will ever allow for this item). Tx.
I am in North Carolina. Their warehouse has no stock currently. Also speaking with Best Buy trying to figure out if my order was ever going to ship they also said they are on back order with no known date.

If you try to ship to store it will originally say 3-5 days but when you go through the checkout process it will then push the date out a few weeks. These further pushed dates mean nothing. They have increasingly been pushed out further each day you check guessing because no stock has come in. I was also told if your order does not get filled within 14 days of the purchase date it will auto cancel. At this point it just seeme like they are taking orders blindly.

Sears also stocks this TV and also offers 5% cash back though Shop Discover. Delivery available next day.

craygoose 10:28 AM 10-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
I am in North Carolina. Their warehouse has no stock currently. Also speaking with Best Buy trying to figure out if my order was ever going to ship they also said they are on back order with no known date.

If you try to ship to store it will originally say 3-5 days but when you go through the checkout process it will then push the date out a few weeks. These further pushed dates mean nothing. They have increasingly been pushed out further each day you check guessing because no stock has come in. I was also told if your order does not get filled within 14 days of the purchase date it will auto cancel. At this point it just seeme like they are taking orders blindly.

Sears also stocks this TV and also offers 5% cash back though Shop Discover. Delivery available next day.
I had the same sort of thing happen to me when I went to buy from Best Buy. Bought it from Amazon instead. Saved money on the tax and paid far lesser than BB for extended warranty. I would suggest trying Amazon - they still seem to have them in stock.
JGovind 10:30 AM 10-24-2014
Hi, I have done settings based on recommendations given here
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-hdtv-settings

Picture is excellent but worried about cell light being set at 17 and 20 with my TV being new.
Is it dowry hint to be worried about?
Also judder is a little high in sports with this setting. Any recommendations to make it better?
TV is less than a month old. It's 64" model.
Thanks in advance.
DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500 10:51 AM 10-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGovind View Post
Hi, I have done settings based on recommendations given here
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-hdtv-settings

Picture is excellent but worried about cell light being set at 17 and 20 with my TV being new.
Is it dowry hint to be worried about?
Also judder is a little high in sports with this setting. Any recommendations to make it better?
TV is less than a month old. It's 64" model.
Thanks in advance.

Turn off "Film Mode" for watching sports. I have zero judder, and I'm a big sports fan.
JGovind 10:59 AM 10-24-2014
Thanks will try.
Can u give me advice cell light setting at 17 to 20 for a new TV.
Also is there a way to check life hours in the TV?
Thanks.
DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500 11:00 AM 10-24-2014
Quote:
Thanks will try.
Thanks.

One other thing to add. If you do watch a lot of sports, don't watch it in Movie/warm 2 mode. The realism of the picture is not quite up to par as it is in Standard/Standard mode. After watching sports/live news broadcasts in Movie/warm 2 for months on end, when I changed to Standard picture mode, standard color temp, the veil was lifted off the screen, and the realism of the event was right there in your face. It has made my sports watching/live broadcasts more enjoyable.

I'd adjust cell light based on your room lighting. It's also a personable adjustment. If you watch tv in a very dark room, like I do, you can set cell between 10-15 (in Standard Mode), or 15-20 in Movie mode, and be happy with the picture. Brighter rooms require higher cell light numbers, because the room lighting will make the screen look dimmer than it should. Background lighting is preferred for watching your tv. It will enhance the effect of the overall brightness of your tv, without having to max out your cell light setting, and will be easier for your eyes to focus. Standard Mode puts out more brighter picture than Movie mode does, so if you do decide to switch to Standard, you can get away with lower cell light values. Just adjust to personal preference. Whatever makes you happy. But definitely play around with the settings until you find a combination that you like. I still find myself tweaking my settings a little here and there (cell light mostly) when I watch certain programs and during different hours of the day. Some programs need more cell light to see more detail shading (fault of the broadcast channel), while others are too bright and reducing cell light makes it easier on the eyes to watch.

The calibrators typically don't start/adjust their calibrations in Standard mode on these sets because this mode is further away from the Rec 709 standard color space than Movie/warm 2 is, and also because the 10-pt setting is inactive in this mode. I thoroughly enjoy watching most programs now in Standard mode/Standard color temp than I ever did in Movie/warm 2.
Breathing Borla's Avatar Breathing Borla 11:02 AM 10-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
One other thing to add. If you do watch a lot of sports, don't watch it in Movie/warm 2 mode. The realism of the picture is not quite up to par as it is in Standard/Standard mode. After watching sports/live news broadcasts in Movie/warm 2 for months on end, when I changed to Standard picture mode, standard color temp, the veil was lifted off the screen, and the realism of the event was right there in your face. It has made my sports watching/live broadcasts more enjoyable.
does it remember your settings for each like you can adjust movie 2 the way you like then just swap to standard for sports?

is it easy to switch?
Dianabol5mg's Avatar Dianabol5mg 11:07 AM 10-24-2014
Quote:
Thanks will try.
Thanks.
Reset tv and get out of Sound and Vision settings. They are garbage. Go through the settings thread. There are individuals on here with much better settings.
JGovind 11:19 AM 10-24-2014
Didn't know there was a separate settings thread here... Can u guide me to go there. Link pls.
dsskid's Avatar dsskid 11:31 AM 10-24-2014
Quote:
Didn't know there was a separate settings thread here... Can u guide me to go there. Link pls.

Here ---> F8500 Recommended Settings Thread.....
DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500 12:18 PM 10-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post
Reset tv and get out of Sound and Vision settings. They are garbage. Go through the settings thread. There are individuals on here with much better settings.

From what I've learned with regards to user settings since being an 8500 owner and joining this thread last year is that using someone else's calibrated settings (no matter what expert calibrated it) on *your* tv only gets you close, but won't be accurate for your tv. Actually, the word "close" may not even be accurate, when those settings are measured on a graph with calibration software, the results may be even further off than you can see with the human eye. I have tried nearly every posted, 8500 calibration settings on my tv at one point or another, and have mixed feelings about all of them. Most will say the 2-pt and 10-pt adjustments are unique to every tv, and that's where the magic happens(where the calibrator earns his pay). So, I would actually treat every other posted calibration settings with caution. Some may look better on *your* tv than others will on someone else's tv, but none will be a perfect match for *your* tv.
igreg's Avatar igreg 12:42 PM 10-24-2014
Quote:
I think a lot of Best Buys are just out of stock. I know the ones by me are. I ordered one 2 weeks ago from them with a delivery date the same week. 2 days later my delivery got canceled and was told the 64F8500 is on back order. Currently they still do not have them in stock here and have no ETA on them.
As long as out of stock means cannot or will not be getting any more. I know they no longer have the plasma displayed.
Breathing Borla's Avatar Breathing Borla 12:44 PM 10-24-2014
anybody try DVE calibrate on their own. I have this blu ray and used it on my DLP and it did a pretty darn good job

will this work on this set?
igreg's Avatar igreg 12:52 PM 10-24-2014
Quote:

I'd adjust cell light based on your room lighting. It's also a personable adjustment. If you watch tv in a very dark room, like I do, you can set cell between 10-15 (in Standard Mode), or 15-20 in Movie mode, and be happy with the picture. Brighter rooms require higher cell light numbers, because the room lighting will make the screen look dimmer than it should. Background lighting is preferred for watching your tv. It will enhance the effect of the overall brightness of your tv, without having to max out your cell light setting, and will be easier for your eyes to focus. Standard Mode puts out more brighter picture than Movie mode does, so if you do decide to switch to Standard, you can get away with lower cell light values. Just adjust to personal preference. Whatever makes you happy. But definitely play around with the settings until you find a combination that you like. I still find myself tweaking my settings a little here and there (cell light mostly) when I watch certain programs and during different hours of the day. Some programs need more cell light to see more detail shading (fault of the broadcast channel), while others are too bright and reducing cell light makes it easier on the eyes to watch.

The calibrators typically don't start/adjust their calibrations in Standard mode on these sets because this mode is further away from the Rec 709 standard color space than Movie/warm 2 is, but I thoroughly enjoy watching most programs now in Standard mode/Standard color temp than I ever did in Movie/warm 2.
When I varied the settings on the display at Best Buy, movie mode was not my favorite. It seeemed to present insufficient detail, while with the relax mode the picture seemed more detailed. Of course, it could be that the settings were altered by potenetial customers. What do you think of the relax versus movie mode, especially when it comes to detail? Thanks.
DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500 01:25 PM 10-24-2014
Quote:
When I varied the settings on the display at Best Buy, movie mode was not my favorite. It seeemed to present insufficient detail, while with the relax mode the picture seemed more detailed. Of course, it could be that the settings were altered by potenetial customers. What do you think of the relax versus movie mode, especially when it comes to detail? Thanks.

I never used Relax mode before. I just tried it. It's alright, when compared with Movie mode, but a little too subdued/dim for my tastes since I've been using Standard mode. Plus, I noticed you don't have access to any of the "Advanced Settings" when in Relax mode. In Movie mode, you do. Advanced settings are Dynamic contrast,mBlack Tone, Flesh Tone, RGB only mode, Color space, White balance, 10pt white balance, Gamma, Motion lighting, etc. So, Relax mode would not be used for calibrating the 8500.
Breathing Borla's Avatar Breathing Borla 02:26 PM 10-24-2014
does anybody know which one of these will work for the F8500 64"?

edit, update,

Live monoprice chat said this, can anyone confirm?

You would want to use PID 5918 it would be able to fit the 600x400 hole mounting pattern on the back of your TV and it would be able to hold the weight of the TV as well. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
I WANT MORE's Avatar I WANT MORE 03:29 PM 10-24-2014
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
anybody try DVE calibrate on their own. I have this blu ray and used it on my DLP and it did a pretty darn good job

will this work on this set?
You should really, really, really consider having your display professionally calibrated.
Once complete you will never touch or want to touch a picture mode or setting again.
sean33's Avatar sean33 03:48 PM 10-24-2014
What is the cost range for a pro calibration?
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 05:09 PM 10-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean33 View Post
What is the cost range for a pro calibration?

It really depends usually 3-450 though for a good one. The best thing to do is find one in your area and get a quote.

Sent from an system/360
CJayB's Avatar CJayB 05:50 PM 10-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post
I totally agree on the Sound and Vision settings.

The best settings I've found (though still need for my 64" 8500 a little tweaking) are the Movie settings from D-Nice.
sean33's Avatar sean33 06:18 PM 10-24-2014
Quote:
Here is a much cleaner db view of going from a dark to light scene. I'm going to make some phone calls tomorrow. I wish there was a quick fix to just tighten the rear panel. Anyone know why slightly pressing on the top left of the rear panel (where the large vent is) would eliminate the buzz?

**Update** I did unscrew the three rear panel screws around the buzzing component and that did the trick. I am now buzz free. I'd like to understand why this is an issue in the first place but I'll take the win and move on.
DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500 06:29 PM 10-24-2014
Quote:
**Update** I did unscrew the three rear panel screws around the buzzing component and that did the trick. I am now buzz free. I'd like to understand why this is an issue in the first place but I'll take the win and move on.

I'm positive the buzz you were experiencing is not the same "plasma buzz" that owners are complaining about. Your issue is more of a vibration/resonating problem. You tightened some screws which dampened the vibration. Plasma buzz cannot be fixed by tightening screws on the back of your display. True Plasma buzz is inherent in the design, albeit how quiet or loud it may get from one owner to another, from one plasma tv to another.
JGovind 01:10 AM 10-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJayB View Post

The best settings I've found (though still need for my 64" 8500 a little tweaking) are the Movie settings from D-Nice.
Thanks. Will try.
How do I get to the settings from D-Nice.
Can u help.
Thanks
igreg's Avatar igreg 01:23 AM 10-25-2014
Quote:
I never used Relax mode before. I just tried it. It's alright, when compared with Movie mode, but a little too subdued/dim for my tastes since I've been using Standard mode. Plus, I noticed you don't have access to any of the "Advanced Settings" when in Relax mode. In Movie mode, you do. Advanced settings are Dynamic contrast,mBlack Tone, Flesh Tone, RGB only mode, Color space, White balance, 10pt white balance, Gamma, Motion lighting, etc. So, Relax mode would not be used for calibrating the 8500.
So you can adjust the movie mode to get more detail? I really don't like a picture that is too bright; used to realistic picture of the Panasonic plasmas. Take a movie theatre for example; great detail without bright/popping image.
igreg's Avatar igreg 01:42 AM 10-25-2014
I am awaiting delivery of the 64F8500 and concerned not only about the complaints here; e.g., buzzing; black optimizerissue; motion problems, but the relative quality of the picture. I had a friend over to watch World Series game three on my commercial Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY, and he said he cannot imagine a better picture (disclaimer: he does not own a HDTV). He said the picture was like looking at real life (as looking through a window) as opposed to just video from a television. When I told him I had ordered a new plasma, he said that I should be happy if it at least matched the quality of the PanasonicTH-50PHD7UY. I had mixed feeling when viewing the 64F8500 at Magnolia; detail seemed excellent in relax mode, but somewhat glossed over in movie mode, and sometimes noticed what appeared to be the "soap opera" effect, but did like the larger picture which together with the increased resolution did give great detail in some scenes. My set has had zero problems over ten years. And why does the Samsung have a motion jutter setting? Why is it needed? My set has zero problems with motion with no jutter settings.

When I told him that multiple people had told me on this forum that the F8500 was clearly superior and would blow my Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY out of the water, he expressed skepticism, and that my set may beolder but still have a better picture.

I purchased the set mainly because it was the last superior plasma that will soon be sold out, and the high rankings given the setat the HDTV shootouts. And if I find the picture inferior to my Panasonic I canmove it my master bedroom which actually has more distance from the set to thewatching position. I do know that set was definitely superior to Panasonic G series in terms of picture quality.

Perhaps the PanasonicTH-50PHD7UY is similar in respect to quality ala the Kuro? I know one poster laughed at my comment that my set has inky blacks, but I does. I would put it up against the F8500 in that area.

Anyone care to voice their opinion on the above,especially those who have owned the early commercial Panasonics? I know foryears it was the set used for the television monitor for affiliate newsbroadcasts. Perhaps the 720 picture actually gives a better viewing experience? I recall one forum member making a comment regarding that point of view.

I have the plasma hooked up to my DirecTV receiver via component because I believe it gives better picture quality than over HDMI for my set. I recall a fellow AVS member that debate does exist whether HDMI always give a better picture than component; he attached a scientific article explaining that component can sometimes give a superior picture than HDMI.

I did see the CNET gave the PanasonicTH-50PHD7UY a 9/10 overall revised rating in 2013 despite CNET stating it has made its rating criteria much more difficult to attain a high rating than when the set was first rated.

Thanks!
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 05:14 AM 10-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJayB View Post

Where are these settings found?
CJayB's Avatar CJayB 07:59 AM 10-25-2014
Quote:
Where are these settings found?
Look for Philwojo's post #958 in the F8500 settings thread. He purchase a 60" model that had supposedly been calibrated by D-Nice. As I said, these settings aren't perfect but for my 64" set beat the other settings I've found. Near the beginning of the settings thread there are further links to settings you can try.
Breathing Borla's Avatar Breathing Borla 08:06 AM 10-25-2014
Thanks, that's one of the problems with these threads that get so big, it's hard to find anything

I'm still trying to figure out the initial out of the box settings, So far I gathered, movie mode, warm 1, cinema smooth on, everything else off?
DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500 08:25 AM 10-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
Thanks, that's one of the problems with these threads that get so big, it's hard to find anything

I'm still trying to figure out the initial out of the box settings, So far I gathered, movie mode, warm 1, cinema smooth on, everything else off?

The best settings for *your* tv are the settings *YOU* like the most. Not somebody else. You don't have a choice for using Cinema Smooth all the time. In fact, that setting is reserved only for programs with a 24 Hz refresh (i.e. blu-ray). Live news broadcasts, reality tv, and sports don't quite have that "in your face" realism when watching in movie mode (unless you max the cell light out). For instance, my preference for sports and live tv broadcasts is Standard mode. Try your own personal settings to see what impresses you on your tv. There's too many other owners settings out there to confuse you more. You wouldn't buy a car because somebody else liked it, would you? You buy it because "you" want it. Same for the tv settings.

Using someone else's CMS and 10-pt settings calibrated on *their* tv is a crapshoot on your tv. In fact, why would you want to use someone else's cal from nearly a year and a half ago? Those cals back then were done at a time when Samsung was pushing out a lot of 8500 firmware updates, and a couple of them actually changed the calibration of the tv's with earlier firmware. So, I would be even more cautious using someone else's cal as a starting point from that far back in time.
DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500 09:32 AM 10-25-2014
Quote:
So you can adjust the movie mode to get more detail? I really don't like a picture that is too bright; used to realistic picture of the Panasonic plasmas. Take a movie theatre for example; great detail without bright/popping image.

Watching movies at home like you're in a theater is fine. I don't like watching live news and sports broadcasts that way. I like a little more "pop" than movie mode can put out. "Movie" mode is the preferred mode that calibrators will calibrate the 8500's (also the CAL-Day and CAL-Night modes activated from the service menu). Relax mode deactivates "all" the advanced settings and some of those settings are critical for a pro calibration on the 8500.
Tags: Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
First ... 275  276  277 278  279  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop