Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 280 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #8371 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Off as opposed to any sharpening enhancements turned on/added.

I thought you had your display professionally calibrated, why are you messing with it?

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8372 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi all. I'm prepping for the arrival of my F8500, and I'm selecting a wall mount. Can anyone tell me how far the power plug sticks out past the VESA mounting plane? Or asked another way - what's the thinnest wall clearance mount I can get away with?

I do realize that getting the display as close to the wall as possible makes plugging and unplugging things much more difficult. But my installation is thickness constrained, so every 1/8" counts. I'm fine with needing to pull the display off the wall anytime something needs to be plugged/unplugged.

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #8373 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm using the Monoprice 6522 low profile mount with my 51F8500. No problems with clearance. The panel also seems cool enough with this mount.
post #8374 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I'm using the Monoprice 6522 low profile mount with my 51F8500. No problems with clearance. The panel also seems cool enough with this mount.
That shows 1.2" from VESA mounting plane to wall. How much clearance does it leave you with? I assume the power cord location is the tightest spot? Thanks!

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #8375 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Also all the ports are side or bottom facing so I don't see why you would have to dismount it to plug anything in.
post #8376 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Also... Not sure what you mean by tight. I certainly don't feel like I'm having to squeeze the power plug in there or anything. It's L shaped. The cord hangs down.
post #8377 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM

What I mean to be asking is what part of the TV is closest to the wall while hung. My assumption was that the power cord would be closest, because it plugs into the back of the display rather than going in sideways like the rest of the connections. (I do understand that the power cord is L shaped.) If the power cord is in fact the part of the display that is closest to the wall, I'd like to know just how close it is. Thanks again.

post #8378 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Fair enough. I won't be able to help you with that. Maybe someone using the stand can measure how much the cord sticks out. Mine is on the wall and staying there.
post #8379 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
This problem has been discussed on this thread for the past month or so. Netflix app on the Samsung tv's is not providing the DD 5.1 option. It was working some months ago, but not currently. I have not heard any timelines when this problem will be resolved.
I'm pursuing the Netflix DD issue with Netflix and Samsung.

Netflix in stereo not 5.1.

Last edited by bmcn; Yesterday at 04:53 PM.
post #8380 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 886
pretty sure the power cord sticks out about 1 1/4" inches on mine. I didn't think about the curve of the tv when I measured, but iirc it's pretty close to the middle anyway.

it might actually be right around 1", but I couldn't get in there very well, and whenever that's the case I want to estimate high.

also, the ferrite cores on the power plug may actually present more of an issue, it looks pretty big too.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One

Last edited by fierce_gt; Yesterday at 02:01 PM.
post #8381 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
Off as opposed to any sharpening enhancements turned on/added.

I thought you had your display professionally calibrated, why are you messing with it?
I did, but sharpness was at 0 anyway (easy to remember) sharpness is one of those things where you adjust to taste.

Also initially, the way I read it, I thought that something had changed in firmware ("50 is the new 0")
post #8382 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post
What I mean to be asking is what part of the TV is closest to the wall while hung. My assumption was that the power cord would be closest, because it plugs into the back of the display rather than going in sideways like the rest of the connections. (I do understand that the power cord is L shaped.) If the power cord is in fact the part of the display that is closest to the wall, I'd like to know just how close it is. Thanks again.
Yes, the power cord and ferrite core protrude furthest from the back of my 64f8500. Can't measure it because its wall mounted, but the back of the TV is approximately 1.25" from the wall, ample clearance for both the power connector and ferrite core.

Last edited by bmcn; Yesterday at 04:56 PM.
post #8383 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Also while I realize you said every little bit matters I'm not sure I would want to mount one of these things any closer to the wall than my low profile mount calls for. These sets generate a fair amount of heat out of the back.
post #8384 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Also while I realize you said every little bit matters I'm not sure I would want to mount one of these things any closer to the wall than my low profile mount calls for. These sets generate a fair amount of heat out of the back.
I purposely used my old tilt mount, because it allows an extra inch or two space than the low profile ones. As you stated, they can generate some heat and air circulation is a good idea.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #8385 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post
I did, but sharpness was at 0 anyway (easy to remember) sharpness is one of those things where you adjust to taste.

Also initially, the way I read it, I thought that something had changed in firmware ("50 is the new 0")
not exactly, there's definitely a 'correct' setting for sharpness. it just seems to be something that ppl are more accepting of different settings.

you could say the same for color. there's a correct setting, but if you want/like more vivid colors, some ppl do that do that too.

post #8386 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Well Samsung's tech repair service people just called me and have received my replacement panel to replace the one I have now with a red stuck pixel for a early morning appointment tomorrow.

Do the panels revert back to zero hours on a new panel?

I pray that all goes well, as I have a schedule pro calibration in late November with Barry Vandenberg out of Central Florida.

Also a big thanks to warren (turrne) for his help on answering some of my questions.
CJayB likes this.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #8387 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Before wall mounting the TV I zip tied to the perfs on upper back of the set two low profile 120 mm, 2200 RPM fans connected with a splitter to one of the set's USB ports.

Last edited by bmcn; Yesterday at 04:58 PM.
post #8388 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New 51F8500 owner here and first time plasma owner. I have been trying to get up to speed in these forums, but I have a basic question that I really can't seem to get a consistent answer for. If viewing 4:3 content - should I use wide fit to fill the screen or can I just leave the pillars? If the pillars are not good because of IR - why doesn't this smart TV sense the 4:3 content and automatically fill the screen - then if you change the channel to HD content then it reverts back to 16:9 ?

Thank You !
post #8389 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM

Thanks for all the help and input everybody!

post #8390 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvuser1 View Post
New 51F8500 owner here and first time plasma owner. I have been trying to get up to speed in these forums, but I have a basic question that I really can't seem to get a consistent answer for. If viewing 4:3 content - should I use wide fit to fill the screen or can I just leave the pillars? If the pillars are not good because of IR - why doesn't this smart TV sense the 4:3 content and automatically fill the screen - then if you change the channel to HD content then it reverts back to 16:9 ?

Thank You !
You can leave the pillars but set them to appear gray rather than black.

With black pillars you could end up with lower brightness where the 4:3 content was displayed due to uneven wear. But IMO you'd have to watch a lot of 4:3 and little else. If you vary your content and mix in some full screen you should be okay even with black pillars.
post #8391 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Ok, so I just got my 60" F8500 exchanged with Best Buy for a new one. The old one was build date Sept 2014 with dead pixels, no buzz (unless you put your ear right up to it).

New one is build date May 2014 and seems perfect except the buzz is horrifying. I can hear it from 20 feet away.
post #8392 of 8400 Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked View Post
Ok, so I just got my 60" F8500 exchanged with Best Buy for a new one. The old one was build date Sept 2014 with dead pixels, no buzz (unless you put your ear right up to it).

New one is build date May 2014 and seems perfect except the buzz is horrifying. I can hear it from 20 feet away.

You and Ozzfan84 should talk with one another. He seems to be one F8500 ahead of you, and has gone thru nearly the exact same problems you are having with your two 8500's. I believe he said his first one had a horizontal banding problem, but no buzz. Now his 2nd one is buzzing horribly. I think he's gonna try one more time to get one with no issues, or at the very least, minor issues he can live with. Sorry to hear about this. I have a 51" 8500, and I can hear no buzzing over 95% of he time (either directional or non-directional). I know you could probably live with a light amount of buzz, but some of the plasmas buzz more than others. It's just a shame these big companies don't have more strict test criteria. Many of these tv's would never make it out of the factory if stricter inspection tolerances were followed.

Last edited by DanF8500; Yesterday at 08:49 PM.
post #8393 of 8400 Unread Yesterday, 08:22 PM

Quote:
You and Ozzfan84 should talk with one another. He seems to be one F8500 ahead of you, and has gone thru nearly the exact same problems you are having with your two 8500's. I believe he said his first one had a horizontal banding problem, but no buzz. Now his 2nd one is buzzing horribly. I think he's gonna try one more time to get one with no issues, or at the very least, minor issues he can live with. Sorry to hear about this. I have a 51" 8500, and I can hear no buzzing over 95% of he time (either directional or non-directional). I know you could probably live with a light amount of buzz, but some of the plasmas buzz more than others. It's just a shame these big companies don't have more strict test criteria. Many of these tv's would never make it out of the factory if stricter inspection/accept-reject guidelines were followed.
I wonder if extreme buzzing is something Samsung will fix under warranty? At this point I feel like having them come over here and fix it (if they can do so relatively easily) would be more reliable than playing the panel lottery again.
post #8394 of 8400 Unread Yesterday, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked View Post
I wonder if extreme buzzing is something Samsung will fix under warranty? At this point I feel like having them come over here and fix it (if they can do so relatively easily) would be more reliable than playing the panel lottery again.

They can. I remember a forum member getting a specific part replaced in his 8500 that resolved his buzzing issue. Then again, I heard another story of a tech coming out to another 8500 owner's home and basically saying the buzz was within spec limits, so there was nothing he could do. I believe they measure the decibel level output of the buzz in deciding a plan/no-plan of action.
post #8395 of 8400 Unread Yesterday, 08:52 PM

Quote:
They can. I remember a forum member getting a specific part replaced in his 8500 that resolved his buzzing issue. Then again, I heard another story of a tech coming out to another 8500 owner's home and basically saying the buzz was within spec limits, so there was nothing he could do. I believe they measure the decibel level output of the buzz in deciding a plan/no-plan of action.
That's unfortunate. So I basically either try that and risk living with the buzz (doubt I can get them out here before my return period ends), or exchange it again and hope nothing's wrong with that one. It's honestly getting difficult though... people are getting tired of helping me move TVs around, and it's not easy for me to take a day off (which I have to because Best Buy can't get me a delivery window until like 9PM the night before).

Last edited by Shocked; Yesterday at 08:58 PM.
post #8396 of 8400 Unread Yesterday, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank You !
that would be a nice feature. fortunately for me my cable box does this(stretches SD channels, and leaves HD ones untouched).

the tv is pretty resistant to IR though, so if it's not the main source of content, you should be able to get away with it from time to time.

what drives me nuts, is when these SD channels broadcast 16:9 shows with the letterbox bars as part of the 4:3 image, so my cable box automatically stretches that 4:3 signal and I end up with this uber widescreen version of the show, that still has letterbox bars.

I think the better question is, why are they still broadcasting in 4:3? I'm pretty sure 4:3 TV's can display a 16:9 image, I certainly did that all the time 'back in the day'. so it's not like it's a compatibility issue. seems like they are just giving preference to the 5% of ppl that still have 4:3 TV's instead of the 95% of ppl using 16:9 TV's...and it's not even like most shows are still being produced in 4:3. almost everything new is 16:9

post #8397 of 8400 Unread Today, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:

Thank You !
How much 4:3 content do you watch? The black bars from 2.35:1 movies haven't caused me any problems, but that's not the majority of what I watch. If you're only watching occasional 4:3 content the pillar bars shouldn't cause any issues.
post #8398 of 8400 Unread Today, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
How much 4:3 content do you watch? The black bars from 2.35:1 movies haven't caused me any problems, but that's not the majority of what I watch. If you're only watching occasional 4:3 content the pillar bars shouldn't cause any issues.
I don't watch any 4:3 content - but my kids most likely will as those channels are filled with it. It would never be more more than an occasional hour or so at a time - but it is usually when I am not home - and of course they just walk away from the set without changing the channel or turning it off.......
post #8399 of 8400 Unread Today, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't watch any 4:3 content - but my kids most likely will as those channels are filled with it. It would never be more more than an occasional hour or so at a time - but it is usually when I am not home - and of course they just walk away from the set without changing the channel or turning it off.......
Most cable/satellite/Fios boxes has screensize settings for both SD and HD content. Set the SD screensize to Stretch, and HD to 16x9.

Otherwise, get them their own TV (LED).

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
post #8400 of 8400 Unread Today, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 825
So it looks like my 3rd 64F8500 panel is good. No stuck pixels, no cracked screens, YAY!

Guess I am an official F8500 owner now. Only thing I noticed last night was that my internet connection was disconnecting a few times while I was watching Netflix so I will need to watch that. My concern with this TV is it being buggy with things like this.

There is no noticeable buzz at all. On a pure white slide in a silent room there is barely a noise. Nothing any different then my VT60 was. I am using the stand.

Also would like to know if anyone has gotten screen mirroring working with their Android phone. I am using a Nexus 5 and it said connected but nothing showed up on the screen.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com