Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 283 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #8461 of 11964 Old 11-01-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post

I believe that this TV runs some variation of the Linux operating system, and like any computer, I think the firmware gets tired and confused if it has not had a "cold boot" in a long enough time, and unplugging the TV for a while cold boots it.
You are correct, it's running Linux:

Code:
VDLinux#> cat /proc/version
Linux version 3.0.33 (nwlee@sp2) (gcc version 4.6.4 (VDLinux.GA1.2012-10-03) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Sep 10 18:01:19 KST 2013
Once in awhile SmartHub apps will lock up the system requiring a reboot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8462 of 11964 Old 11-01-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Should I need to add any delay in the F8500's digital out settings if I am getting stereo audio from the cable box to the TV via HDMi and then to the sound bar via the F8500's digital out?

With it set to zero it seems out of sync but I would think the TV would compensate for lag internally.

My bluray player connects directly try to the sound bar via optical and I synced it with Disney WoW (the player supports audio delay). I don't now how to do something similar with the cable box.
post #8463 of 11964 Old 11-01-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
You are correct, it's running Linux:

Code:
VDLinux#> cat /proc/version
Linux version 3.0.33 (nwlee@sp2) (gcc version 4.6.4 (VDLinux.GA1.2012-10-03) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Sep 10 18:01:19 KST 2013
Once in awhile SmartHub apps will lock up the system requiring a reboot.

What is the best method for doing a reboot, and will that require I reenter any settings? Thanks for your help!
post #8464 of 11964 Old 11-01-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Just recycle power, no settings will be lost. It shouldn't happen often, but it has happened here when playing back material from my network disk.
post #8465 of 11964 Old 11-01-2014, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
So it looks like my 3rd 64F8500 panel is good. No stuck pixels, no cracked screens, YAY!

Guess I am an official F8500 owner now. Only thing I noticed last night was that my internet connection was disconnecting a few times while I was watching Netflix so I will need to watch that. My concern with this TV is it being buggy with things like this.

There is no noticeable buzz at all. On a pure white slide in a silent room there is barely a noise. Nothing any different then my VT60 was. I am using the stand.

Also would like to know if anyone has gotten screen mirroring working with their Android phone. I am using a Nexus 5 and it said connected but nothing showed up on the screen.
I also have a Nexus 5 and the screen mirroring works flawlessly on mine
post #8466 of 11964 Old 11-01-2014, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just recycle power, no settings will be lost. It shouldn't happen often, but it has happened here when playing back material from my network disk.

By recycling power, is that something I can do via the menu (some sort of master system setup)? It happened again today. Twice. One time when it occurred I turned off the television and when it came back on the picture was present but then the screen went black and then an approximate 3" by 3" picture with a guy with a microphone. Cannot recall exactly what I did after that, either turning the TV off again, or kept pressing menu button, but did go away. The other time I just pressed other buttons including Source and after perhaps then seconds the source screen appeared. Has me concerned the problem will continue or get worse. Thanks.
post #8467 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPrelude View Post
What steps are you taking. I set up the connection on my phone through Wi-FI Direct. It said connected on the TV but nothing on the TV ever changed. Does something else need to be done on the phone?
post #8468 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
Well it looks like 3rd time's the charm

I thought you had a VT60 previously as well. Maybe you can do a comparison review between the 2 sets for us. I'm specifically interested in your thoughts as to which set does better with 720p and 1080i tv content.
So I did some nighttime watching last night and you can see the F8500 clearly has lighter black's, especially noticeable on predominately black screens. Also, when a screen is full black or all black with some text in the middle you can see the black dim a little to make it darker. Almost acts like FALD TV dimming it's zone.

I don't know if it was from the source like that or that is just how the TV acts when the screen gets mostly black or all black. Will need to watch more but other owners might be able to chime in on that.

When there is actual content on the screen and not just a line of text in the middle of a full black screen the TV did not perform like that and seemed to hold the black level constant.

I will say black's appear better on the F8500 during the day as expected. Almost LED like. It's not the brightness that plays the important role on the F8500 as I always thought my VT60 was bright enough but just the stronger filter allowing better daytime black levels.

I thought the VT60 had enough brightness for daytime viewing and handled reflections really well but black's would appear more grey at that time but still very watchable. The F8500 just holds its black's better during the day. Nothing really to do with one being brighter then the other.

I never thought my VT60 wasn't bright enough. Using it with Panel Brightness High definitely made the picture punchier on it during the day but I did not run it like that for fear of IR. It also didn't help with black levels, it just made everything brighter.

I never got to see a ZT60 in a home environment so curious how well that TV actually performed during the day and if it equaled that of the F8500 with daytime blacks. I know the ZT60 was dimmer then the VT60 but could also be calibrated with panel brightness high which should have helped it cut through more during the day. I know the ZT60 was also prone to stubborn IR though.

The software can also get annoying on the Sammy. I had to shut off the mic recognition as it would randomly activate itself. I did not have that problem when I owned es7500 for 8 months which also had voice recognition but the F8500 did that twice in 2 days.

I also needed to power the TV off at times to fix things. After watching some 3D stuff on YouTube, when I went to watch Netflix the picture was all distorted. My DirectTV was fine though. A power cycle fixed the Netflix issue. I also had the TV freeze when I was going through the smart hub which also required a power cycle.

I was expecting quirky things with the Samsung going into it though as I know how they perform with all the bells and whistles they throw into their premium TV's so I am not really surprised by any of it and nothing an extended warranty won't help to ease the nerves for the next couple of years if something should go wrong. Of course I might have just had a bunch of things just show it's face up front at the same time and maybe everything will be perfect for the next few months without a hiccup but haven't owned the TV long enough to comment on long term reliability.

Last edited by eric3316; 11-02-2014 at 01:26 AM.
post #8469 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know if it was from the source like that or that is just how the TV acts when the screen gets mostly black or all black. Will need to watch more but other owners might be able to chime in on that.

When there is actual content on the screen and not just a line of text in the middle of a full black screen the TV did not perform like that and seemed to hold the black level constant.
You can see here the black response as a function of average display luminance.
post #8470 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
When the tech guy was over last Friday,he left a small scratch on the bezel from moving it around.

Do you guys have any tips on how to remove the scratch? Its not very big or deep but noticeable to me anyway.

Any product suggestions or is there a touch up paint number for this gun metal frame?

Sony 55XBR900B w/Sub & 4K X10 Player
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS4 - Directv Genie HR-44 3/C41 mini's, Sunday Ticket & MLB Xtra innings
Sony STR- ZA3000ES AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #8471 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 212
My 64F8500 arrives tomorrow - can't wait! I missed out on the 65VT60 and just couldn't stomach waiting for OLED and missing on the F8500. My wife even let me move my 65VT30 into the bedroom! Can't wait to watch some movies on the best HDTV on the market (in my opinion)!
I WANT MORE and HLdan like this.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-52 II's
SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
post #8472 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yup, I figured it out. Needing to go into the display setting on my device to get it working.
post #8473 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
So it looks like my 3rd 64F8500 panel is good. No stuck pixels, no cracked screens, YAY!

Guess I am an official F8500 owner now. Only thing I noticed last night was that my internet connection was disconnecting a few times while I was watching Netflix so I will need to watch that. My concern with this TV is it being buggy with things like this.

There is no noticeable buzz at all. On a pure white slide in a silent room there is barely a noise. Nothing any different then my VT60 was. I am using the stand.

Also would like to know if anyone has gotten screen mirroring working with their Android phone. I am using a Nexus 5 and it said connected but nothing showed up on the screen.
When your Netflix stops streaming shut down the app and try to use the TVs web browser or any other Internet app. My experience is Netflix timing out and not the Internet shutting off on the TV. When I quit Netflix and start it back up it works again. All other Internet apps including the TV web browser always works even after Netflix streaming times out.
post #8474 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So a few months ago we bought a 51" Samsung F5300 series and after living with it for a week, decided we just could not live with the reflections and returned it. We strongly considered the F8500 equivalent, but could not stomach the price difference (especially since the, um, "stylish" stand design meant a new piece of furniture to place it on as well). Flash forward to today where, of course, we have hit the November window and the end of Samsung's Plasma production and, of course the prices have dropped (yet another drop at BB today). Anyway, I decided it was worth a shot so I ordered the 51" this morning from BB and will see if we can live with the reflections or if we have to wait another few years for moth-eye or equivalent to come to the U.S. market. It is supposed to get delivered this week - fingers crossed.

Here is my "reflections" post from within the OLED forum: Forget 4K-All I want is 1080P with no glare

Last edited by cblandin; 11-02-2014 at 09:22 AM.
post #8475 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi - how come I can't select "receiver" in the sound menu? its grayed out in speaker settings. I can only select external speaker or TV speaker. Receiver and SoundShare are both grayed out.
I have the optical going to the AVR (sonday STR-DA1000ES).

also in "digital audio out" menu, the only selection is PCM; dolby digital , DTS and DTS NEO 2.5 are grayed out

TV Samsung PN64F8500
Receiver Pioneer VSX-1020
Blu-ray Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Speakers Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-50
post #8476 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblandin View Post
of course the prices have dropped (yet another drop at BB today)
Thanks for the heads-up, just got a price difference refund for my 60" from amazon.
post #8477 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
So I did some nighttime watching last night and you can see the F8500 clearly has lighter black's, especially noticeable on predominately black screens. Also, when a screen is full black or all black with some text in the middle you can see the black dim a little to make it darker. Almost acts like FALD TV dimming it's zone.

That sounds like the brightness pops that I thought was fixed with a firmware update a while back. I couldn't live with something like that.

Edit: I guess the firmware update reduced but didn't completely eliminate it. As long as it doesn't manifest itself in real world content but only in rare occurrences like the scenario you mentioned above it should be fine.

Hey Zoyd, how big of an issue is this?
post #8478 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know what "brightness pops" are but that sounds like APL induced pumping at high luminance output. What Eric saw is the floating blacks that all Samsungs have to one degree or another (click the link in my reply to him here). F series from 2014 and H series perform the best in this regard and I don't consider it a serious issue with those models.
post #8479 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 162
^^^^ Floating blacks yes. Brightness pops were from prior years Samsung models. Good to know these floating blacks don't occur very often but I'm sure movies like Gravity are probably a torture set for the 8500.
post #8480 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^^^^ Floating blacks yes. Brightness pops were from prior years Samsung models. Good to know these floating blacks don't occur very often but I'm sure movies like Gravity are probably a torture set for the 8500.
The floating blacks occur continuously based on content, you may not notice them very often but they are always there.
post #8481 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That sounds like the brightness pops that I thought was fixed with a firmware update a while back. I couldn't live with something like that.

Edit: I guess the firmware update reduced but didn't completely eliminate it. As long as it doesn't manifest itself in real world content but only in rare occurrences like the scenario you mentioned above it should be fine.

Hey Zoyd, how big of an issue is this?
Quote:
I don't know what "brightness pops" are but that sounds like APL induced pumping at high luminance output. What Eric saw is the floating blacks that all Samsungs have to one degree or another (click the link in my reply to him here). F series from 2014 and H series perform the best in this regard and I don't consider it a serious issue with those models.
I do not think it would considered under brightness pops, I think that was more for something like hockey and from the flash going off people would see bright pops on the TV.

This is different. From what I saw in my limited dark room viewing of the TV it is not an issue at all. It didn't see anything happening with any real content on the screen. It only effected a full black screen like when a show goes dark before commercial or when there was text only in the middle of a black screen. An example of this is while I was watching Vampire Diaries, at one point after the intro the screen goes black and the word Vampire Diaries appears in the middle of the screen. With any real content on the screen I did not notice anything like this. I think when there is more on the screen the black levels stay higher so they won't float up and down during most content which is how Samsung fixed what most people saw earlier. Only when the screen is pretty much pure black I am guessing it will drop like this before your eyes.
post #8482 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, if you have brightness set too low or are in standard mode the screen will turn completely off for a black input.
post #8483 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately I do not have Gravity to test this but my guess is that it plays fine. If not, you would have heard about it in every post in the F8500 thread. I think there is enough content on the screen that this behavior would not happen. I have seen the movie before and nothing that I remember would fall under the category or even close to a full black screen. It is a movie with just a lot of black in it.
post #8484 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Also, if you have brightness set too low or are in standard mode the screen will turn completely off for a black input.
That is how my old Samsung LED performed with a full black screen. The F8500 definitely is not turning off completely and still has a glow to it. I first thought it was going to turn off completely like my LED when I saw it fade but then it stopped at a certain level and stayed there.
post #8485 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Quote:
Yup, I figured it out. Needing to go into the display setting on my device to get it working.
Good deal. I hadn't got a chance to look and was thinking it might have something to do with my rom because I'm running Purity
post #8486 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Good deal. I hadn't got a chance to look and was thinking it might have something to do with my rom because I'm running Purity
I have been using an Android device ever since the first HTC EVO was released years ago and the Nexus 5 is my first Android device I never felt the need to root and install a custom ROM on.
post #8487 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Picked up the 64 inch several weeks ago and its been great so far with several exceptions:

1. If the screen is displaying a screen with too much white, the screen will dim and the colors on screen will become darker. If the scene switches to something without lots of white on the screen, then the display will brighten up and the colors look nice and vivid. This becomes really obvious as my kids watch lots of cartoons or if there is an almost all white background and the screen is displaying a logo. If there is small amounts of white, such as a wedding dress, those whites are very bright and makes it really obvious the screen dims during overly white scenes.

An easy way to test, if you have a pc hooked up, go to any webpage, heck even this one and it becomes really obvious that it dims. If you don't have an hpc, and have Amazon Prime, any nickelodeon show will start up, show an all white screen with an orange sign logo, it dims as well, then right away brightens once the screen switches out of the logo intro. It really distracting and was hoping maybe there is a setting somewhere that i missed.

2. I cant for the life of me find a good calibration setting for Game Mode. I realize most people on these forums mainly watch movies, but there must be some one out there that has calibrated this for game mode. Usually, when calibrating my sets, i will take presets and adjust them accordingly to adhere to my personal set, but many seem to be for movie mode and were calibrated last year when game mode had too much input lag.

3. This may be normal and I just may be sitting too close, but, anytime i am playing a game and i pan the screen, or there is horizontal scrolling, think 2d side scroller, I see see the individual dots (or whatever sprite equivalent is on a plasma, phosphors?) on the screen. Is this a case of dirty screen effect? I recall reading that his effect diminishes with time, which i really hope it does as I mainly game on this set and is almost a deal breaker for me. Coming from a samsung pn65f8000, and sitting from the same distance, i know this wasn't there before as I tested with the same source material.

I have around 100 - 120 hours of screen viewing time on this set, and from owning prior plasma's know that the display quality improves with time, but the white dimming is really distracting.

Picking up the samsung pn65f800 several months ago, i feel this set is the better of the two compromises. Yes, i am a little OCD. The LED set has poor viewing angles, reflects light like crazy, and some motion blur during fast scenes.

I am still within my return period, and will most likely keep it, but the 1st and 3rd issue are really distracting, especially issue 3 for gaming.

Any input is welcome!!
post #8488 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1850 Post(s)
Liked: 862
There's nothing you can really do about number 1 unless you adjust your settings so the screen isn't so bright. Even then you'll see some dimming as all Plasmas have ABL The f8500 is just less aggressive than most in some cases.

For gaming settings there is an entire thread dedicated to f8500 settings and calibration. Check that out and search through I know there are a few members that have posted what they use when gaming.

Sent from an system/360
post #8489 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
1. the ABL behaviour can be reduced slightly by turning on eco mode, but i think this will have the opposite affect of what you're after. it reduces the noticeably dimming by being dimmed all(most?) of the time. you won't get brighter bright scenes, but you get dimmer average scenes, which does kind of make the brights appear brighter respectively. not a useful feature for bright rooms though. only good if the tv is the brightest object in the room.

2. any calibration not using 10pt white balance will work for game mode. check the calibration thread(i know, that's work) there's a couple in there. i don't remember if i personally posted a pc or game mode calibration, but i'm pretty sure i posted results, so i think my settings will be there. still, i don't think you can expect that much from plugging in somebody elses settings anyway, and since the game mode disables the 10pt white balance, really the only settings you wouldn't need to do on your own anyway are 2pt white balance. you might even be able to eyeball that and get similar results as plugging in somebody elses calibration. use a greyscale step or ramp pattern. start with warm2, and increase red/blue and decrease green until you get rid of the yellow tint.

3. can't help, not sure what you're seeing or what the problem may be. i don't sit very close to mine, my room is set up for projection screen, so closest row is about 10-12feet away

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #8490 of 11964 Old 11-02-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Exclamation

Quote:

I will say black's appear better on the F8500 during the day as expected. Almost LED like. It's not the brightness that plays the important role on the F8500 as I always thought my VT60 was bright enough but just the stronger filter allowing better daytime black levels.

I thought the VT60 had enough brightness for daytime viewing and handled reflections really well but black's would appear more grey at that time but still very watchable. The F8500 just holds its black's better during the day. Nothing really to do with one being brighter then the other.

I never thought my VT60 wasn't bright enough. Using it with Panel Brightness High definitely made the picture punchier on it during the day but I did not run it like that for fear of IR. It also didn't help with black levels, it just made everything brighter.

I never got to see a ZT60 in a home environment so curious how well that TV actually performed during the day and if it equaled that of the F8500 with daytime blacks. I know the ZT60 was dimmer then the VT60 but could also be calibrated with panel brightness high which should have helped it cut through more during the day. I know the ZT60 was also prone to stubborn IR though.

The software can also get annoying on the Sammy. I had to shut off the mic recognition as it would randomly activate itself. I did not have that problem when I owned es7500 for 8 months which also had voice recognition but the F8500 did that twice in 2 days.

I also needed to power the TV off at times to fix things. After watching some 3D stuff on YouTube, when I went to watch Netflix the picture was all distorted. My DirectTV was fine though. A power cycle fixed the Netflix issue. I also had the TV freeze when I was going through the smart hub which also required a power cycle.

I was expecting quirky things with the Samsung going into it though as I know how they perform with all the bells and whistles they throw into their premium TV's so I am not really surprised by any of it and nothing an extended warranty won't help to ease the nerves for the next couple of years if something should go wrong. Of course I might have just had a bunch of things just show it's face up front at the same time and maybe everything will be perfect for the next few months without a hiccup but haven't owned the TV long enough to comment on long term reliability.
How do you perform a power cycle? Thank you.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread