Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 286 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8551 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
hey guys,

when this thing comes later this week. they will bring it into the house, unbox it and power it on.

what should I be looking for other than the obvious scratches, powering on.

will I be able to see dead pixels? or hear the buzzing level at that point?

anything else, I want to be prepared.
I'm sure a few people here will give you the skinny on what to look for in terms of issues but do yourself a huge favor and just power it on upon delivery, set it up and find your favorite channels or Blu-ray to enjoy on it. You're going to give yourself a heart attack already searching for bad things when it should be a joyous occasion getting a beautiful reference TV such as the F8500. Trust the fact that if you dive deep into looking for things you WILL find them. If you can't find anything wrong with your TV on your own without anyone here telling you what to look for then there's nothing wrong with your set.
zoyd and mightymouseusf like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8552 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingam View Post
Very much excited and have been on this thread for 3+ hours seeing everyone's feedback so please forgive me for what I'm about to say (I tried looking hard for someone who asked my question but couldn't find it)

I don't plan on getting this TV professionally calibrated and have heard many members talk about forgoing the "break-in" period and just to rely on regular TV watching.

I am a huge football (American football) fan and watch football from 12hrs on my Saturdays/Sundays. I WILL be flipping channels often but will the ticker/station logo/box-score-in-the-corner cause any concerns, or will I be okay if I keep flipping every 10-15 minutes or so and not leave one game static for awhile?

Thank you so much in advance. I appreciate all the work that's on here. Apologies if I missed this because I did try to carefully look for answers.
The F8500 is very resistant to Image Retention. You won't need to constatantly flip channels during commercials to avoid the logos. I'm a huge football fan and I watch the NFL network and multiple games on Sundays. My 2012 Panasonic GT50 had me flipping channels during commercials, using screen wipe constantly and zooming the screen often to avoid the 4X3 black bars on the left and right sides of the screen to protect it from IR. No matter what I would still end up with IR and it would take hours of screen wipes and watching mixed content to get rid of logos. Very annoying.
My F8500 has been my dream come true for a Plasma. It's what today's plasmas should be. After watching the same channel with tickers and logos for hours I will get a small bit of IR , but upon changing the channel after just 30 seconds it's completely disappeared. I never have to use the screen wipe or my Disney WOW disc.
eric3316 likes this.
post #8553 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
The F8500 is very resistant to Image Retention. You won't need to constatantly flip channels during commercials to avoid the logos. I'm a huge football fan and I watch the NFL network and multiple games on Sundays. My 2012 Panasonic GT50 had me flipping channels during commercials, using screen wipe constantly and zooming the screen often to avoid the 4X3 black bars on the left and right sides of the screen to protect it from IR. No matter what I would still end up with IR and it would take hours of screen wipes and watching mixed content to get rid of logos. Very annoying.
My F8500 has been my dream come true for a Plasma. It's what today's plasmas should be. After watching the same channel with tickers and logos for hours I will get a small bit of IR , but upon changing the channel after just 30 seconds it's completely disappeared. I never have to use the screen wipe or my Disney WOW disc.
Thanks for the comment about IR with the 8500. That's very good to hear. I just got mine in Monday and am loving it so far. Does anyone use the Pandora App much with the TV? I noticed there is no screen saver when running the app last night. My roommate works from home and likes to run pandora literally all day. Won't this cause burn in? My last Panasonic Plasma (R.I.P.) had burn in that I could not get rid of from him using Pandora for multiples hours a day (hard to be mad - he was just using it for something the TV was advertised as being able to do). That app even had a screensaver which would come on during the song. I chatted with a Samsung rep yesterday and he said to use it and not even worry about. Just hard to imagine - but I have heard Samsung panels fair much better with IR / Burn In than Panasonic's.

Cheers!
Paul
post #8554 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Herring View Post
Thanks for the comment about IR with the 8500. That's very good to hear. I just got mine in Monday and am loving it so far. Does anyone use the Pandora App much with the TV? I noticed there is no screen saver when running the app last night. My roommate works from home and likes to run pandora literally all day. Won't this cause burn in? My last Panasonic Plasma (R.I.P.) had burn in that I could not get rid of from him using Pandora for multiples hours a day (hard to be mad - he was just using it for something the TV was advertised as being able to do). That app even had a screensaver which would come on during the song. I chatted with a Samsung rep yesterday and he said to use it and not even worry about. Just hard to imagine - but I have heard Samsung panels fair much better with IR / Burn In than Panasonic's.

Cheers!
Paul
No worries. Haha, of course the Samsung rep is going to tell you not to worry. It's not HIS TV. They make some of the best TV's on the market but you'll shortly find out that they don't offer the best customer service.
The F8500 has a built in screen saver for all the apps. By default I think it's set to activate much later than it should be. From the remote click Menu-System-Screen Burn Protection-Auto Protection Time. You can set it start as early as 5 minutes. I think it's crappy that Samsung doesn't go lower than 5 minutes, especially for static apps like Pandora.
The biggest issue with the screen saver kicking in no earlier than 5 minutes is if you do anything to the TV such as adjusting the volume the screen saver turns off and you have to wait another 5 minutes for it kick in. I will say that even with the 5 minute time I've never gotten any IR from Pandora or the Tune IN music app. For the Pandora app or Tune In app just keep the settings lower such as the Cell Light or the Contrast.
post #8555 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

Cheers!
Paul
Quote:
No worries. Haha, of course the Samsung rep is going to tell you not to worry. It's not HIS TV. They make some of the best TV's on the market but you'll shortly find out that they don't offer the best customer service.
The F8500 has a built in screen saver for all the apps. By default I think it's set to activate much later than it should be. From the remote click Menu-System-Screen Burn Protection-Auto Protection Time. You can set it start as early as 5 minutes. I think it's crappy that Samsung doesn't go lower than 5 minutes, especially for static apps like Pandora.
The biggest issue with the screen saver kicking in no earlier than 5 minutes is if you do anything to the TV such as adjusting the volume the screen saver turns off and you have to wait another 5 minutes for it kick in. I will say that even with the 5 minute time I've never gotten any IR from Pandora or the Tune IN music app. For the Pandora app or Tune In app just keep the settings lower such as the Cell Light or the Contrast.
You know the F8500 has a picture off option, where you can play audio only. I haven't used it yet, but it may serve you well....setup Pandora and then activate the picture off option.
(Page 93 of the E-Manual)

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.

Last edited by dsskid; 11-05-2014 at 09:47 AM.
post #8556 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
You know the F8500 has a picture off option, where you can play audio only. I haven't used it yet, but it may serve you well....setup Pandora and then activate the picture off option.
That feature doesn't work when running apps or even playing music via USB thumb drive. Another flaw in design they could possibly fix from a firmware update but seeing as Plasma's support is coming to an end I'm not counting on it.
post #8557 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Thank you so much for the feedback. You, too, I WANT MORE

Officially pumped for Saturday!
post #8558 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Hopefully that did the trick but please keep us posted. I have to remind myself time after time that today's flat-screened SMART TV's are really computers in disguise and they will have the quirks of computers. The worst issues I had with CRT's was just shielding issues. Certain speakers with large magnets couldn't sit too close to them or the screen would turn purple in the corners. Technology got better over time with shielding but it still wasn't perfect, but that's it.

Seems as though SMART TV's have more small issues than CRT's ever had.
Went 6 hours before disconnecting.

I just wonder if it is on the TV's end or something my router is doing although I have not had this problem with other TV's.
post #8559 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Will this subside?

Previously an owner of a Panasonic ZT60 that no longer functioned properly with multiple issues that can be viewed in the ZT60 thread if interested. Long story short....Best Buy refunded my purchase price and I purchased a Samsung 60" F8500. The quality of the picture is as good possibly even better than my ZT in certain aspects. I'm not a fan of the design but I can look past that. My issue..I've had the television for the three days. It has this horrific directional buzz that almost seems to be centered from the screen of the television. It is actually louder the further you move from the television as long as you are centered on it. While sitting if you turn your head slightly to the left or the right it's very noticeable. Most of my plasma tv's have had a slight audible buzz, the ZT included. Most of the time it was from he rear of the tv and not audible after you moved away more than a foot. I have an apc power conditioner that I have it connected to. I tried connecting it directly to the outlet and that didn't change. Is this common? Have you experienced it and did it then drowned itself out after time? I'm with in the return period but the kick in the pants is that BB has exhausted their supply so I can't exchange it. Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks,
Shane

Last edited by sjb179; 11-05-2014 at 02:08 PM.
post #8560 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the 60 and no buzz
post #8561 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I went through two seperate 60F8500's, both of which had the directional buzz. Couldn't deal with it. Went with a 65F8000. Miss the inky blacks, but not the beehive.
post #8562 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb179 View Post
Previously an owner of a Panasonic ZT60 that no longer functioned properly with multiple issues that can be viewed in the ZT60 thread if interested. Long story short....Best Buy refunded my purchase price and I purchased a Samsung 60" F8500. The quality of the picture is as good possibly event better than my ZT. I'm not a fan of the design but I can look past that. My issue..I've had the television for the three days. It has this horrific directional buzz that almost seems to be centered from the screen of the television. It is actually louder the further you move from the television as long as you are centered on it. While sitting if you turn your head slightly to the left or the right it's very noticeable. Most of my plasma tv's have had a slight audible buzz, the ZT included. Most of the time it was from he rear of the tv and not audible after you moved away more than a foot. I have an apc power conditioner that I have it connected to. I tried connecting it directly to the outlet and that didn't change. Is this common? Have you experienced it and did it then drowned itself out after time? I'm with in the return period but the kick in the pants is that BB has exhausted their supply so I can't exchange it. Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks,
Shane
Many complaints from 60" purchasers. Some upgrade to th PN64F8500. For others this wasn't an option, then a different Model or Brand, or refund.
post #8563 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
I had a similar issue one time and it was obnoxious, but couldn't recreate it. Check the refresh rate on the PC and reboot after any change, then try playing with the Motion Judder Canceller and, if available, Film Mode settings on the F8500.
I don't think it's the PC, per se, since the exact same thing happens with both the Roku and the streaming apps on the TV itself. I'll try and play with the motion judder canceller, and other settings, when I get home later. I'm pretty sure Film Mode wasn't an option, but I can't recall.

It's really weird, though, that it's pretty much doing it for all content. I was hoping I must have something enabled in the TV that's messing it up. Or maybe there is some processing bug. I supposed I might have to call Samsung. It is really really annoying.
post #8564 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Many complaints from 60" purchasers. Some upgrade to th PN64F8500. For others this wasn't an option, then a different Model or Brand, or refund.
I was able to locate a 64" model through Sears that I will pick up next week. Hopefully it will not have the directional buzz that my 60" has.
post #8565 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
Went 6 hours before disconnecting.

I just wonder if it is on the TV's end or something my router is doing although I have not had this problem with other TV's.
You don't happen to have FiOS and an actiontech router....do you?
post #8566 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
OK, I am SURE this is here in this mammoth thread, but don;t have the bandwidth to go through it all right now (I'm sure I will thoug). Anyway, just got our 51" F8500 delivered today and the first thing I see in movies (via out STB) is the 3d / video tape effect. Awesomely clear, but not what I'm after. I assume this is one of the settings or modes, but I figured before I randomly go changing them tonight I would check in here to see which settings I might investigate (i.e. motion, mode, etc).

Thanks

I should also have an opionion osoon n the whole "reflectivity" issue as compared with the F5300 series we had for a week!
post #8567 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblandin View Post
OK, I am SURE this is here in this mammoth thread, but don;t have the bandwidth to go through it all right now (I'm sure I will thoug). Anyway, just got our 51" F8500 delivered today and the first thing I see in movies (via out STB) is the 3d / video tape effect. Awesomely clear, but not what I'm after. I assume this is one of the settings or modes, but I figured before I randomly go changing them tonight I would check in here to see which settings I might investigate (i.e. motion, mode, etc).

Thanks

I should also have an opionion osoon n the whole "reflectivity" issue as compared with the F5300 series we had for a week!
Make sure Motion Judder Control (MJC) is turned off.
post #8568 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamvmax View Post
You don't happen to have FiOS and an actiontech router....do you?
Nope, I have Time Warner and a Cisco router.

I just moved my router a couple feet closer to see if that helps. It is not like it happens often. 6 hours of watching before it times out is not like a deal breaker. I would just be more comfortable knowing it will happen with any F8500 I bring home and it is not an issue with just the one I own.

If my wife wasn't home all day with our newborn running long streaming marathons it might have never even came up or have been something I would of ever noticed but once you notice something you know how it is.
post #8569 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb179 View Post
I was able to locate a 64" model through Sears that I will pick up next week. Hopefully it will not have the directional buzz that my 60" has.
I recently got a 64F8500 and the buzz is no different then my 65VT60 which is pretty non existant unless you put your head to the back of the TV.
post #8570 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
That feature doesn't work when running apps or even playing music via USB thumb drive. Another flaw in design they could possibly fix from a firmware update but seeing as Plasma's support is coming to an end I'm not counting on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
Thanks for the comments. Like HLdan said it doesn't look like you can use the picture off option when using the Pandora App. This is just a shame considering how easy of a fix it would be (and also save on the power bill). Good suggestions though. May have a workaround by running pandora on the blu ray player and then using the picture off option...
post #8571 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Thanks for the comments. Like HLdan said it doesn't look like you can use the picture off option when using the Pandora App. This is just a shame considering how easy of a fix it would be (and also save on the power bill). Good suggestions though. May have a workaround by running pandora on the blu ray player and then using the picture off option...

I get the Samsung little icon screen saver when I run Pandora and Spotify but there is no Screen saver for SiriusXm app.

I called both siriusxm and Samsung to get it together and give is a screen saver as this is a plasma not an led but my call went on deaf ears.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #8572 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I recently got a 64F8500 and the buzz is no different then my 65VT60 which is pretty non existant unless you put your head to the back of the TV.
If that's the case with mine I will be quite content. I'm use to the buzz if you put your head behind it, just not the laser beam hitting me from 12 feet away
post #8573 of 9749 Old 11-05-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Does the screen wipe work with these apps?
post #8574 of 9749 Old 11-06-2014, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Colors fade in F8500 after three months

i have F8500 51"
after three months i feel the colors is fading
why ?

only connected to the computer
a boiling screen from the back
post #8575 of 9749 Old 11-06-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Perhaps the phosphors are through breaking in and you need to recalibrate.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #8576 of 9749 Old 11-06-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hopefully that did the trick but please keep us posted. I have to remind myself time after time that today's flat-screened SMART TV's are really computers in disguise and they will have the quirks of computers. The worst issues I had with CRT's was just shielding issues. Certain speakers with large magnets couldn't sit too close to them or the screen would turn purple in the corners. Technology got better over time with shielding but it still wasn't perfect, but that's it.

Seems as though SMART TV's have more small issues than CRT's ever had.
So here is something interesting. I decided to do a full factor reset of the TV through the service menu this morning in case something went worng with the FW update when I first setup the TV and to see if I would still have the issue.

When I went to start Netflix, instead of the Netflix startup screen with the red background it now has the newer startup screen with the black background and the word Netflix in red in the middle.

Unless this was an update puched to the app this morning and is just a coincidence. Can anyone confirm if there Netflix startup screen has changed this morning or which startup screen you actually get or have been getting on your TV.
post #8577 of 9749 Old 11-06-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

When I went to start Netflix, instead of the Netflix startup screen with the red background it now has the newer startup screen with the black background and the word Netflix in red in the middle.

Unless this was an update puched to the app this morning and is just a coincidence. Can anyone confirm if there Netflix startup screen has changed this morning or which startup screen you actually get or have been getting on your TV.
This is interesting. I just got a notification (a popup window at the top of my display) this morning when I powered up my 8500. The notification said that my Smarthub just got better. I didn't click the "Details", and the notification went away. I checked the Netflix app, and it still boots up to a red splash screen, with white logo. Not sure what "got better". My version of Netflix is 4.00501.
post #8578 of 9749 Old 11-06-2014, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So here is something interesting. I decided to do a full factor reset of the TV through the service menu this morning in case something went worng with the FW update when I first setup the TV and to see if I would still have the issue.

Whoa that IS really different. I just did the latest software update for the SMART HUB yesterday and just launched Netlix and still have standard red splash screen with the name "Netflix" in white. Do you live in the U.S? Just curious if the change in your splash screen is only for TV's outside the U.S?
post #8579 of 9749 Old 11-06-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
This is interesting. I just got a notification (a popup window at the top of my display) this morning when I powered up my 8500. The notification said that my Smarthub just got better. I didn't click the "Details", and the notification went away. I checked the Netflix app, and it still boots up to a red splash screen, with white logo. Not sure what "got better". My version of Netflix is 4.00501.
I did get that message when I rebooted my TV and did not read the details either.

Where are you checking the version? In the apps settings? In the settings menu under Netflix version it says "nrdapp 2013.2.64" with a bunch of other stuff after it.

There is another line that says UI build and that says release-20141104_103_zircon

Edit - Just checked the version of the app in the smart hub and it is 4.00501 with an update date of 2014/07/04.

Wonder why a factory reset would trigger the different start up screen. If you go into the Netflix app and into it's settings menu, what does it say under UI build?

Last edited by eric3316; 11-06-2014 at 08:04 AM.
post #8580 of 9749 Old 11-06-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Whoa that IS really different. I just did the latest software update for the SMART HUB yesterday and just launched Netlix and still have standard red splash screen with the name "Netflix" in white. Do you live in the U.S? Just curious if the change in your splash screen is only for TV's outside the U.S?
Yes, I am in the US.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread