Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 291 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8701 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJayB View Post
I own the 64" F8500 and used to own the same DLP model you have. The F8500 is even more film-like than the DLP. From a picture standpoint I can't think of anything I like better with the DLP.
Thanks, your perspective helps a lot.

This set is offered in 3 sizes. Does anyone know if one of the sizes tends to be more problematic than the others, or are they all about the same? This has been hard to glean from sites like Amazon where all the reviews are combined.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8702 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Can any F8500 owners who have played hours of Destiny comment on IR? RE: The super bar!
post #8703 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Anyone have knowledge or educated guess about how long Samsung will continue to carry parts for the F8500 after production ends? Thank you.
post #8704 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Thanks, your perspective helps a lot.

This set is offered in 3 sizes. Does anyone know if one of the sizes tends to be more problematic than the others, or are they all about the same? This has been hard to glean from sites like Amazon where all the reviews are combined.
Some of the F8500s suffer from buzzing and it appears to be more common with the 60" model. My 64" buzz can only be heard if I'm within a foot of the panel and even then it's not loud. There is a thread devoted to this subject.
post #8705 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
Anyone have knowledge or educated guess about how long Samsung will continue to carry parts for the F8500 after production ends? Thank you.
Supposed to be 7 years......Buy an extended warranty and they you do not have to worry about parts
post #8706 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I have a question for anyone experiencing this annoying banner. I keep getting this banner that appears about 5 minutes after I turn on my F8500 stating "Smart Hub just got better...blah blah blah...). I performed the software update and thought the banner would go away after that. I cannot figure out how to stop that banner from appearing.

There's one more issue as well. Samsung's Sports app (which cannot be removed) keeps activating while watching football games. It will just appear showing sports stats on my screen and then I can shut it off but it will appear during the next game. How do I stop this app from activating at all? Why does Samsung push this stuff in the customer's face?
post #8707 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Can any F8500 owners who have played hours of Destiny comment on IR? RE: The super bar!
I've had 6-7 hour marathons of Destiny and haven't noticed any IR. To be fair, I haven't been specifically looking for it though.
post #8708 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
3D blu ray player recommendations?

I just pulled the trigger on a 60F8500 and now I need to get a 3D blu ray player. I seem to remember seeing a link to a thread of 3D blu ray player recommendations while I was doing my research on the TV, but now I can't find it.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Edit: Is it worth it to pay 6x the price for the OPPO?

Last edited by kronius; 11-11-2014 at 11:14 AM.
post #8709 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
I have a question for anyone experiencing this annoying banner. I keep getting this banner that appears about 5 minutes after I turn on my F8500 stating "Smart Hub just got better...blah blah blah...). I performed the software update and thought the banner would go away after that. I cannot figure out how to stop that banner from appearing.

The Smarthub notification will display until Nov 13th. So far, there 's no way to disable it. I think an earlier post mentioned that he contacted Samsung and said that there's nothing we can do to disable the notification until it expires on the 13th.
HLdan likes this.
post #8710 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
The Smarthub notification will display until Nov 13th. So far, there 's no way to disable it. I think an earlier post mentioned that he contacted Samsung and said that there's nothing we can do to disable the notification until it expires on the 13th.
Actually this was very helpful. I didn't know it was set to expire on the 13th. I'm fine with that. I didn't even notice that. I just thought it was something we would have to live with. Thank you very much.

I guess the Samsung Sports app sticking it's ugly head in during football games is forced upon which sucks still.
post #8711 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

There's one more issue as well. Samsung's Sports app (which cannot be removed) keeps activating while watching football games. It will just appear showing sports stats on my screen and then I can shut it off but it will appear during the next game. How do I stop this app from activating at all? Why does Samsung push this stuff in the customer's face?
Go to Smart Features -> Apps Settings -> SyncPlus, and select "Yahoo Broadcast Interactivity". From there you can deactivate it from the green "settings" button on the lower left of your display. Somehow, from a recent fw revision, this yahoo broadcast interactivity gets automatically enabled. It annoys me too, and I love watching sports. I deactivated it by the method above.
HLdan likes this.
post #8712 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronius View Post
I just pulled the trigger on a 60F8500 and now I need to get a 3D blu ray player. I seem to remember seeing a link to a thread of 3D blu ray player recommendations while I was doing my research on the TV, but now I can't find it.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Edit: Is it worth it to pay 6x the price for the OPPO?
Look at any of the 2014 H Model Samsung Players. Purchased the wife the BD-H6500, and waiting to see how much better it will appear on her Christmas present (UN55HU7000), where I can activate the BD Wise when it detects the Samsung TV. (Currently on an LG 42LH90 - and it makes the TV look like a newer, great looking TV. (No BD Wise on this one.))
post #8713 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So - Best Buy in my area is out of the 51 inch. The Samsung site has them as does Amazon - anyone here have experience ordering online from either of these? (or recommend another?) The price is about the same for all.
post #8714 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyb74 View Post
So - Best Buy in my area is out of the 51 inch. The Samsung site has them as does Amazon - anyone here have experience ordering online from either of these? (or recommend another?) The price is about the same for all.
Everyone and there mother on this site has ordered from Amazon. LOL

Just make sure it is sold and shipped from Amazon and you are good to go.
Ph8te likes this.
post #8715 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Add me to the list of new owners.. Set up my 64 last night and so far so good! Virtually silent (no detectable buzzing of any kind) and no pink hue..

I need to go through and do a thorough setup pass and whatnot, but otherwise pretty impressed so far.

Agree with whoever else complained about all the ports being near the left edge AND be facing outward.. :/ A little poorly thought out, but not a deal breaker..
post #8716 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
Quote:

I would add sold and shipped by the high definition store as well, got mine there went great they were really nice, helpful, and responsive. Also they included a 2 year warranty. They have a store on Amazon, that's where I ordered. They are also an authorized Samsung Internet seller so no bs warranty issues.

But ya, no worries with amazon
post #8717 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
I would add sold and shipped by the high definition store as well, got mine there went great they were really nice, helpful, and responsive. Also they included a 2 year warranty. They have a store on Amazon, that's where I ordered. They are also an authorized Samsung Internet seller so no bs warranty issues.

But ya, no worries with amazon
There are definitley some legit 3rd party vendors on Amazon but returns and exchanges are probably the easiest if you purchase directly through Amazon. 3rd party vendors might not have the same return policy as items shipped from Amazon.

Do you know what the HD Store's return/exchange policy was through Amazon? Each vendor can have a different policy which is why I say if Amazon has it and if someone has never ordered through them before, it is the safe way to go.
Breathing Borla likes this.
post #8718 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl4ppy View Post

Agree with whoever else complained about all the ports being near the left edge AND be facing outward.. :/ A little poorly thought out, but not a deal breaker..

Monoprice HDMI Port Saver - M to Female - 270 degrees. Problem solved..

post #8719 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
There are definitley some legit 3rd party vendors on Amazon but returns and exchanges are probably the easiest if you purchase directly through Amazon. 3rd party vendors might not have the same return policy as items shipped from Amazon.

Do you know what the HD Store's return/exchange policy was through Amazon? Each vendor can have a different policy which is why I say if Amazon has it and if someone has never ordered through them before, it is the safe way to go.
they said a-z gaurentee but they also have a decent return policy as well. The guys name was Tom and took good care of everything.

here is they're site. http://www.thehighdefinitionstore.com/

when I ordered ship and sold from amazon was out, so I didn't want to mess around and these guys are at least a ligit seller and on the list on samsung.com, etc.

anyway, looks like amazon is total out now,

glad I didn't wait, mine is now nice and comfy on my wall

here is my ambient lighting remote controlled. (ideallume, http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lumesb.htm )

and here is the beast

post #8720 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

I'm almost embarrassed by how well Amazon has treated me in the past. ALMOST.
post #8721 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
they said a-z gaurentee but they also have a decent return policy as well. The guys name was Tom and took good care of everything.

here is they're site. http://www.thehighdefinitionstore.com/

when I ordered ship and sold from amazon was out, so I didn't want to mess around and these guys are at least a ligit seller and on the list on samsung.com, etc.

anyway, looks like amazon is total out now,

glad I didn't wait, mine is now nice and comfy on my wall

<snip>
HD store is still in stock. I just cancelled my 60F8500 order on amazon and ordered a 64F8500 from www.thehighdefinitionstore.com

I checked and they have an A+ rating from BBB, and I got their 5 year warranty. Can't wait to enjoy the extra screen real estate!
post #8722 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Ordered mine through Best Buy Sunday before last and they delivered it and installed it (just on a piece of furniture) 3 days later...for free. Can't beat that. I have ordered from them before, but always just picked up in-store (nice since you just walk in and bypass all the sales guys, etc.) - this was my first time doing in-home delivery.
post #8723 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Reflections/Glare - It's Not Perfect, but Good Enough!

So this past Summer I bought a cheap 51" Samsung F5300 series Plasma from Best Buy. Had it for a week, and then boxed it up and carted it back. The issue? REFLECTIONS! Honestly, the picture was pretty nice for a $649 set, but my wife and I both knew almost immediately it wasn't going to work for us in our living room. Our current TV was a 42" Panasonic plasma purchased in 2008. It was the "one year only" 77u series with a semi-matte screen. While many will poo poo matte screens, it basically made lamps, windows, etc. a non-issue.

Alas, flash forward to 2014 and everything is glossy...no more matte screens. I tried re-positioning the F5300, but even at night the screen seemed to have a "shine" to it that bugged me and was distracting...to say nothing of the fact that I was not enamored with looking at crystal clear reflections of me, the sofa, the wall, the piano, etc. in every darker scene. At the time I considered the F8500 with it's filter, but wasn't sure and really didn't want to drop almost 3X as much (it was $1800 in the Summer).

And then we get to November and the price drops (you can look those up yourself), so I took a chance. Ordered the 51" F8500 from BB and it was delivered 3 days later to my house. Both my wife and I could tell IMMEDIATELY the reflections were dramatically reduced. A summary:

1. Things like the couch, me, white, walls, overhead lights, etc. are all a non-issue at this point.
2. The chandelier in the dining room is an issue still, but it is rarely on.
3. The french doors to the backyard are an issue during the day in darker scenes, but I have positioned the TV so that they are not directly reflected from our seated viewing positions.
4. Overall, all reflections are "dimmer". Indeed, I have found myself staring at the screen asking "How are they doing this" with regard to dimming the reflections and "shine"

Is it a matte screen? Nope, but I honestly believe it is about the best you are going to do until things like Moth-eye come to fruition in any real way. I'm not just "settling" though. I am honestly, pretty happy with how this looks and worked out.

Finally, a special thanks to Fierce_GT who posted several pics of his own setup in a discussion about reflections, glare, etc.

Here are a couple shots of our living room layout for reference (note: the TV In these shots is the 42" Panasonic plasma with the semi-matte screen....it is now upstairs and the Sammie occupies its slot).

post #8724 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Supposed to be 7 years......Buy an extended warranty and they you do not have to worry about parts
Thanks for the information. Perhaps you or another forum member could provide an answer to my set's problem. The following is part of the discussion I had with an appliance tech at JustAnswers regarding the fact that when using my remotes the menu will sometimes get stuck, and I have to wait 2-3 minutes for it to get unstuck. Until then the picture of the menu is on the screen, and none of the remote keys are operational. However, I have no experienced the problem in the last three days. Everything else about the HDTV is great, so if it can be repaired easily and without affecting the quality of the picture or other attributes, I would rather repair than risk getting a buzzer or other problems since I am running out of time to make exchanges, and I could not live with a set that buzzes. What do you think of his assessment? Samsung CSR's really are not trained in this area. Thanks!

Customer: Probably problem with IR sensor on TV?

Nathan : Thank you for the update, if still no change, this can really only be a hardware issue. But I would expect this is a problem with the control (main) board, not the IR sensor. If it was a sensor issue then the BT remote would still work consistently. Since it can't clear the message either it's not likley a remote/sensor issue.

Nathan : Anything other than hardware should have been resolved by the firmware update, so that leaves only a hardware fault. While the symptoms are minor, this type of problem will often compound and you don't want to be stuck facing repairs after they stop making plasmas entirely as parts will be hard to come by.

Since the tv is still new enough to be under the return policy, your best recourse at this point would be returning it to the retailer in exchange for another set. I'm sorry there isn't a simpler fix here.

Customer: I don't want to exchange because everything else is perfect, and many of these sets are returned for buzzing, something I could not tolerate. And so if replaced and got a buzzer, then probably not sufficient time to make another exchange. Some people have exchanged sets three of four times to get rid of buzzers or stuck pixels or other major problems that cannot be fixed.

Customer: What do you mean by if it was a sensor then the BT remote would still work consistently? What do you mean by this type of problem will compound? As long as relatively simple repair that is the direction I want to for the preceding reasons. I understand Samsung has committed to having parts available for some time after discontinuation of the plasma. Plu, I would get it repaired soon, although I haven't seen it freeze in the last couple days. Thoughts? Thanks.

Customer: P.S. I did try a toggle at the back of the set when the menu stock and that did not work either. This was advised action by one of Samsung's CSR's.

Customer: What would the repair involve and would it be relatively simple? Thanks. Only way I would even consider a return is if the problem could not be repaired, or if the repair would adversely effect other aspects of the HDTV.

Nathan : What I mean is that if this were a sensor issue (infrared sensor) it would explain the standard remote not working, but I'd still expect the BT remote to function. The chances of having both a bad IR sensor and a bad BT transceiver are pretty low. It is much more likely this is a fault in the main (control) board. What I mean by compounding is that if there is an existing hardware failure it will often lead to other components failing as well. At this point, I'd expect you'd be looking at having the main board replaced. Not something you can do yourself without voiding the warranty. If you can get samsung to send a tech out to do it then there is certainly no harm in that.
post #8725 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
My system also had a bug in the Standard Picture mode in that it was very DIM. You can switch from standard mode to any other picture mode and back again and the Standard Picture mode will be bright -- but only for 30 seconds. All the normal debugging procedures did not work. I ended up discovery, by accident, that after initial setup the Cell Light value for Standard mode was set to 20. If I move that from 20 to 19 (or any other value). The Standard mode worked fine and stays that way unless you do a System reset. Then you have to do it all over again. That's my TV not sure if other have seen this. Because the picture is so good I am willing to take another chance and get a replacement-- i saw another reviewer tried this and had back to back HDMI issues, Hopefully Samsung will be looking into this. Stay tuned
I had the exact same problem. A reset did not fix it. I called Amazon and the tech had me unplug the set, hold the button on the back in the down position for 30 seconds, plug the set back in and power up. He had me immediately go to the standard settings and set brightness at 50 or greater. He claimed it's a known bug and Samsung will eventually patch it.

There's no doubt it's a firmware/software issue. Kind of odd it took over a week to show up.

I think I'm going to do the Costco extended warranty. It's inexpensive enough.
post #8726 of 9688 Old 11-11-2014, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
After buying 51" F8500 about 6 weeks ago, I ordered a 64 last Wednesday from Best Buy.

Unboxed her last night and it looks great thus far. Both were bought from Best Buy and I am happy with their service. The 51" F8500 is located in our living room (we love it). The 64 is setup temporarily (in a spare room) just to test and make sure everything is working OK while our basement is being remodeled.

I think the 64 looks (if possible) even better than our 51 (which we already love)! I am sure it is not any better, it is just BIGGER.

It took me a few weeks to pull the trigger and get this set about 6 weeks before our remodel will be ready for it, but I am glad I did because I really REALLY love our 51" and I didn't want to miss out on it.

For those of you who remember, I originally bought a curved Sammy 4k and returned it to buy the 51" F8500.

In our basement I am setting up a 5.1 sound system with decent power and speakers so I am excited to get this all setup (maybe by Christmas)!

Last edited by sarends; 11-11-2014 at 09:19 PM.
post #8727 of 9688 Old 11-12-2014, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 18
These are out of stock at Amazon, but still available elsewhere. However, after doing some reading on upcoming OLED sets I'm considering getting a new bulb for my DLP and just waiting it out. I do realize that will be a few years. LG is pushing aggressively, so I suppose they are the ones to watch, along with Samsung. There is nothing really wrong with my 65835, I just tire of its clunkiness, poor viewing angles and the headaches. It produces a good picture, better than LCD ever will, just not quite as good as the best plasmas. It is also not quiet, producing its own running sound, but it is certainly not a buzz.

Or I risk $1700 potentially getting a buzzer, or $2500 for a lesser chance of a buzzer, when in roughly 3-4 years OLED may be at this price point. I suppose since I'm not as heavy of a user as some people here, maybe totaling 10-20 hours a week, this isn't such a good gamble. LCD is out of the question, being inferior to what I already have. With Plasma in its death throes, and OLED not ready for the masses, it really is an awkward time to be buying an HDTV.
post #8728 of 9688 Old 11-12-2014, 01:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
These are out of stock at Amazon, but still available elsewhere. However, after doing some reading on upcoming OLED sets I'm considering getting a new bulb for my DLP and just waiting it out. I do realize that will be a few years. LG is pushing aggressively, so I suppose they are the ones to watch, along with Samsung. There is nothing really wrong with my 65835, I just tire of its clunkiness, poor viewing angles and the headaches. It produces a good picture, better than LCD ever will, just not quite as good as the best plasmas. It is also not quiet, producing its own running sound, but it is certainly not a buzz.

Or I risk $1700 potentially getting a buzzer, or $2500 for a lesser chance of a buzzer, when in roughly 3-4 years OLED may be at this price point. I suppose since I'm not as heavy of a user as some people here, maybe totaling 10-20 hours a week, this isn't such a good gamble. LCD is out of the question, being inferior to what I already have. With Plasma in its death throes, and OLED not ready for the masses, it really is an awkward time to be buying an HDTV.

The speech in Braveheart always comes to mind when posts like yours pop up. To paraphrase would you trade all the days between now and when your ready to upgrade again to have the best plasma currently available or will you risk you TV dying and then being forced into an early OLED or LCD because the TV you wanted is no longer made.

Sent from an system/360
post #8729 of 9688 Old 11-12-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
The speech in Braveheart always comes to mind when posts like yours pop up. To paraphrase would you trade all the days between now and when your ready to upgrade again to have the best plasma currently available or will you risk you TV dying and then being forced into an early OLED or LCD because the TV you wanted is no longer made.

Sent from an system/360
Yeah, I don't understand this way of thinking. Who knows what will be in 4 years. A week, 2 months maybe 6 months okay, but to say I will wait it out for 4 years. So while you can enjoy something today and every day for the next 4 years instead you will get nothing.

In 4 years it is even possible that OLED won't even be produced anymore. Who knows what the future holds for it. Obviously PQ is not on the top of most consumers lists, otherwise plasma would not be going extinct and sales would not have been so bad for manufacturers of them.

Instead their money is being made on an inferior product which proves it is not about black levels, contrast, motion and viewing angles. So what does OLED have that ensures it's future differently then plasma's to the average consumer. There is obviously not enough videophiles to keep a TV technology profitable.
post #8730 of 9688 Old 11-12-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Received my replacement 64" from Best Buy yesterday.

So far it's not having the Black Optimizer Issue like the last one and the "directional buzz" doesn't exist on the new one but the typical plasma buzz is more noticeable on this one then on the 1st.

Build date on my new one is October 2014. I'm not sure what it was on the old one.

I sure was hoping that this one wouldn't have any buzz at all
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread