Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 292 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #8731 of 10862 Old 11-12-2014, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 37
For those who have their AV receiver normally as the sole input into the display, and play video games (console to AVR, to TV):

Is it a deal breaker for you that you need to use a different input for "Game Mode" to reduce input lag, thus meaning you have to have the console audio sent back from the TV to the AV receiver, giving up the highest quality audio formats? That is, if your console is also the Blu-ray player.

I suppose the workaround is sticking with 1 input, but changing modes every time you game, which is a slight nuisance.

It also may be possible to assign a shortcut to Game Mode on my Harmony one?

Last edited by Soulburner; 11-12-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8732 of 10862 Old 11-12-2014, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just reading a few older posts, those who ordered from Best Buy, was it in store? Because online showed that it cannot be delivered to my home address OR even to be picked up in any of their stores nearby. Wondering if I go there tomorrow if I'm guaranteed to get a set (I would really like the 60").
post #8733 of 10862 Old 11-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in the forum that the cinema smooth black level rise was fixed by a previous firmware update, but the motion judder issue still persists. Can someone confirm?

Klipsch RF-62 II HT System
SVS Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
post #8734 of 10862 Old 11-12-2014, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Well the tech's came and replaced my second bad panel (1st - red stuck pixel 2nd - Film coating was bad with gaps) and I finally got a good one with no issues.

Granted my original panel was a April 2014 build and now the replacement one is a July 2013 build with the software of the original 2014 build.

What are the major differences if any, from a 2013 to a 2014 build?

I'am breaking the set in fast as I have a scheduled pro cal with Barry Vandenberg out of CFL on Thanksgiving weekend.

Also when we removed the protective film from the new screen it left a bit of sticky residue,is there a good screen cleaner to remove it as the microfiber cloth that I have is smearing it a little?

Thanks

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS4 - Directv Genie HR-44 3/C41 mini's, Sunday Ticket & MLB Xtra innings
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #8735 of 10862 Old 11-12-2014, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is breaking in a plasma still necessary? Does anyone have a link to a break-in DVD?
post #8736 of 10862 Old 11-12-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post
Well the tech's came and replaced my second bad panel (1st - red stuck pixel 2nd - Film coating was bad with gaps) and I finally got a good one with no issues.

Granted my original panel was a April 2014 build and now the replacement one is a July 2013 build with the software of the original 2014 build.

I'am breaking the set in fast as I have a scheduled pro cal with Barry Vandenberg out of CFL on Thanksgiving weekend.

Also when we removed the protective film from the new screen it left a bit of sticky residue,is there a good screen cleaner to remove it as the microfiber cloth that I have is smearing it a little?

Thanks
You can use a drop of distilled water on your micro fiber cloth.
post #8737 of 10862 Old 11-12-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
Yeah, I don't understand this way of thinking. Who knows what will be in 4 years. A week, 2 months maybe 6 months okay, but to say I will wait it out for 4 years. So while you can enjoy something today and every day for the next 4 years instead you will get nothing.

In 4 years it is even possible that OLED won't even be produced anymore. Who knows what the future holds for it. Obviously PQ is not on the top of most consumers lists, otherwise plasma would not be going extinct and sales would not have been so bad for manufacturers of them.

Instead their money is being made on an inferior product which proves it is not about black levels, contrast, motion and viewing angles. So what does OLED have that ensures it's future differently then plasma's to the average consumer. There is obviously not enough videophiles to keep a TV technology profitable.
I recall someone actually purchased 2 ZT models (forgot the size) so when the first one dies he'll just start up the 2nd one. Doesn't sound so crazy anymore.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #8738 of 10862 Old 11-12-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
Yeah, I don't understand this way of thinking. Who knows what will be in 4 years. A week, 2 months maybe 6 months okay, but to say I will wait it out for 4 years. So while you can enjoy something today and every day for the next 4 years instead you will get nothing.

In 4 years it is even possible that OLED won't even be produced anymore. Who knows what the future holds for it. Obviously PQ is not on the top of most consumers lists, otherwise plasma would not be going extinct and sales would not have been so bad for manufacturers of them.

Instead their money is being made on an inferior product which proves it is not about black levels, contrast, motion and viewing angles. So what does OLED have that ensures it's future differently then plasma's to the average consumer. There is obviously not enough videophiles to keep a TV technology profitable.
I recall someone actually purchased 2 ZT models (forgot the size) so when the first one dies he'll just start up the 2nd one. Doesn't sound so crazy anymore.
So he'll start up the second one around 2020-2024, then run that one until 2030-2034. Okay.
post #8739 of 10862 Old 11-12-2014, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukFilm View Post
Just reading a few older posts, those who ordered from Best Buy, was it in store? Because online showed that it cannot be delivered to my home address OR even to be picked up in any of their stores nearby. Wondering if I go there tomorrow if I'm guaranteed to get a set (I would really like the 60").
Yes, I ordered mine in the store (Magnolia). I tried to order online and it would not let me ship to store or home delivery. I knew already they were out of stock in all 3 of my local Best Buys but went in just to see what was going on. They informed me since they are backordered right now the online store would not let me place the order. The salesperson was very nice and helpful and placed the order for me with free shipping. Apparently, people are placing a lot of orders with Best Buy before the end of the year, that's why they're backordered. They had a 60" on display and I asked how much they wanted for it but the manager said they couldn't sell it yet because they're still taking orders for people that want the set.
post #8740 of 10862 Old 11-12-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmax View Post
Yes, I ordered mine in the store (Magnolia). I tried to order online and it would not let me ship to store or home delivery. I knew already they were out of stock in all 3 of my local Best Buys but went in just to see what was going on. They informed me since they are backordered right now the online store would not let me place the order. The salesperson was very nice and helpful and placed the order for me with free shipping. Apparently, people are placing a lot of orders with Best Buy before the end of the year, that's why they're backordered. They had a 60" on display and I asked how much they wanted for it but the manager said they couldn't sell it yet because they're still taking orders for people that want the set.
Thank you, I will go to the store tomorrow. Hope I can still order.
post #8741 of 10862 Old 11-13-2014, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Good news. I got my replacement 64 F8500 and no directional buzzing! Picture looks good and now I have to get my settings back to whatever they were.
post #8742 of 10862 Old 11-13-2014, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
For those who have their AV receiver normally as the sole input into the display, and play video games (console to AVR, to TV):

Is it a deal breaker for you that you need to use a different input for "Game Mode" to reduce input lag, thus meaning you have to have the console audio sent back from the TV to the AV receiver, giving up the highest quality audio formats? That is, if your console is also the Blu-ray player.

I suppose the workaround is sticking with 1 input, but changing modes every time you game, which is a slight nuisance.

Curious what others are doing in this scenario also. With my VT25, everything went through the receiver and gaming seemed to be fine. The 8500 seems to have a bigger delay and was debating how to proceed.
post #8743 of 10862 Old 11-13-2014, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I can't seem to find much information on this. If I want to use PIP, I can only do it via the coax input? I didn't think I'd be able to do it via 2 HDMI, but hdmi + component/composite/smart hub would have been nice. PIP is basically worthless and it was something I used occasionally watching sports.
post #8744 of 10862 Old 11-13-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimorga View Post
I can't seem to find much information on this. If I want to use PIP, I can only do it via the coax input? I didn't think I'd be able to do it via 2 HDMI, but hdmi + component/composite/smart hub would have been nice. PIP is basically worthless and it was something I used occasionally watching sports.
In my opinion PIP has been worthless for awhile. I haven't messed with it on my F8500 but I've never had a TV that could do it with anything other than the antenna and something else.
post #8745 of 10862 Old 11-13-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimorga View Post
Most cable and satellite boxes have some version of PIP.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #8746 of 10862 Old 11-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Go to Smart Features -> Apps Settings -> SyncPlus, and select "Yahoo Broadcast Interactivity". From there you can deactivate it from the green "settings" button on the lower left of your display. Somehow, from a recent fw revision, this yahoo broadcast interactivity gets automatically enabled. It annoys me too, and I love watching sports. I deactivated it by the method above.
WOW, how did you even know to do that? . I swear I hate that Samsung feels they should dictate how we watch our own TV's just because their name is on them. Sadly I'm sure it's part of the SMART TV TOC that they know most people won't read but rather just press "Accept". Okay, well I did shut off the services. There's Thursday night football on tonight. I'll see if that did the trick. Definitely appreciate your help.
post #8747 of 10862 Old 11-13-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukFilm View Post
Thank you, I will go to the store tomorrow. Hope I can still order.
It does seem like stock is drying up, I wonder if the last run of these was sent out ? We will find out sooner or later......They are around for now.

Time to give these things away, PN60F8500 just took a big price hit !

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 11-13-2014 at 03:09 PM.
post #8748 of 10862 Old 11-13-2014, 06:03 PM

Loving the picture of my 64", but having a few minor issues with some of the extra features...

First, I successfully set up the RVU client with my DTV setup. Watching channels and whatnot works fine.. I just can't for the life of me figure out how to open the DirecTV menu or make the DVR button on the SmartTouch remote to actually open the recordings list. Both of these buttons worked fine when my Genie box was external/separate.

Secondly, I have the Universal Remote stuff setup to control my receiver. The Smart Touch remote adjusts the volume on the Receiver just fine and promptly; the standard remote doesn't. Maybe 1 volume adjustment press in 10 actually registers. :/

Also, Powering off the TV also powers off the receiver just fine. Turning on the TV doesn't, however turn on the receiver. I have to use the OnScreen remote and go to HTS Power. Is there a way to make it automagically turn on as well?

Hoping someone has some insight on these issues! Thanks!
post #8749 of 10862 Old 11-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronius View Post
Is breaking in a plasma still necessary? Does anyone have a link to a break-in DVD?
You will find many different answers to this question. I've usually broken in my panels, but couldn't resist watching on this one. I haven't seen any abnormal wear, so I'm going to pass on a normal break in this time.

Klipsch RF-62 II HT System
SVS Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
post #8750 of 10862 Old 11-13-2014, 08:02 PM

I spoke to soon. After a few hours of use, the replacement panel is buzzing as much as the previous. I guess these are simply loud panels compared to the Pannys.

I with I could get the universal remote to work with Tivo, but apparently that's a known deficiency of the unit.
post #8751 of 10862 Old 11-13-2014, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question 60F8500 display model for $999-Should I buy it?

Found a display model 60F8500 red tagged for $999 locally. Think I caqn get if for $899 waving cash. Best Buy has a few new in the box for $1679 plus tax. The red tag unit was manufactured in July 2013. I only looked at it for 5 minutes but am going back in a few days to examine it more closely. What should I look for? How do I access the hour meter? What would be the max number of hours that makes this still a good buy? Anything I should bring with me, like a USB stick with test images and if so, where can I download them from? Your advice is greatly appreciated! BTW, I currently have a 50" Zenith (same as LG, I think?) plasma which I bought from Sears at their Black Friday sale in 2010 for $449. Haven't had a problem ever and the picture is quite good even without any tweaking.
post #8752 of 10862 Old 11-13-2014, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post

Waiting for my 8500, but this is what I did on my Panny, assuming the same will work on the Samsung. HDMI out of receiver into HDMI distribution amplifier (1 in, 4 out). Feed all 4 out to the TV. Use different inputs on TV for different things, one HDMI input specifically for gaming. That way sound still goes straight to the receiver from game consoles, and each input on TV can be set for a specific need.
Soulburner likes this.
post #8753 of 10862 Old 11-13-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDCL View Post
Waiting for my 8500, but this is what I did on my Panny, assuming the same will work on the Samsung. HDMI out of receiver into HDMI distribution amplifier (1 in, 4 out). Feed all 4 out to the TV. Use different inputs on TV for different things, one HDMI input specifically for gaming. That way sound still goes straight to the receiver from game consoles, and each input on TV can be set for a specific need.
Splitting the HDMI...that's smart
post #8754 of 10862 Old 11-14-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've been following this thread for a few weeks now, and after reading about all the stellar reviews I finally ordered the 60" F8500 from Amazon. It arrived a few days ago, works perfectly, looks fantastic and has no buzzing. I'm very happy with this purchase, and would absolutely recommend it to anyone currently on the fence.

Now I was wondering if a few of you more knowledgable folks could help me make the best of it. My last TV was a 2006 DLP, so needless to say the sheer amount of options the 8500 gives me is almost overwhelming. At the moment I'm not too concerned with contrast or color accuracy – I can mess with that later. I'm more confused by all the video processing options, and was wondering if anyone could help me with a simple "cheat sheet" that can optimize my viewing experience in the following categories:

Sports: ...
Gaming: Change Input to PC, ...
Movies: Motion Judder Off (?), ...

As you can see, I've begun filling in options based on my own experience and from what I've read in this thread. I'm sure most of these answers have been posted already, and I've done my best to glean what information I could, but I'd appreciate anything that helps point me in the right direction. Perhaps as suggestions come in, I can update the categories so that other users can have a quick reference as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!
post #8755 of 10862 Old 11-14-2014, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

Thanks
For the stuck red pixel, did you get a replacement panel part under warranty or did they just replace the entire TV? I had an issue with DSE and got a replacement panel part (not the entire TV); however, the replacement part has a stuck red pixel. The tech didn't think that Samsung would replace the panel just for a stuck pixel. Still better than the DSE, because I can't see the stuck pixel from 10 back (sitting position).

I'm contemplating whether I should call Samsung for another warranty repair for the stuck pixel.
post #8756 of 10862 Old 11-14-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Well, I hope everyone bought there 8500 if they wanted one, looks like they "may" be sold out forever........Unless Samsung has more in transit. We will see shortly.
post #8757 of 10862 Old 11-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just had my display delivered by BB. Before turning it on, they suggested I wait a few hours so it acclimates to the indoor temperature. Where can I find the build date? Is it on the box, or the display itself?

Thanks
post #8758 of 10862 Old 11-14-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockInv View Post
I just had my display delivered by BB. Before turning it on, they suggested I wait a few hours so it acclimates to the indoor temperature. Where can I find the build date? Is it on the box, or the display itself?

Thanks
It's on the silver sticker on the back of the panel, Just above the barcode.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0305.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	467.9 KB
ID:	366761  

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #8759 of 10862 Old 11-14-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I had my set for a week or so now and I am thinking of running through the WOW cal disc.

any tips?
post #8760 of 10862 Old 11-14-2014, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sold out forever? CRAP!! I just received my vacation pay today and was going to place an order for the 60". Looks like it won't go through on BB website. Looks like the 51" might still be available. Might just have to go that route. I recently had my Pioneer 5020 50" stolen from my house so at least I was used to the 50". Still going to stop at BB tonight just to see what they have to say.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page