Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 298 - AVS Forum
Welcome, pitviper33. You last visited: Today at 05:00 PM Your Notifications: 8
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #8911 of 8928 Old Today, 04:35 PM
eric3316
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,313
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by pochoboy View Post
I'm really thinking hard about changing my handle to tell you the truth as some people think they have something on me but really they don't.
Not really sure what this means or what you are implying but you are really reading into this way to much. You made a comment about TV's and I replied to it. Nothing more then that. No need to be defensive or think I am out to destroy your world.

How about we move on in a more friendly manner and get back to discussing TV's.

And no, I will not always agree with what people say here nor do I expect them to agree with everything I say but that is why we conversate here and express our different opinions.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your F8500. It is no doubt a great TV.
eric3316 is online now Report Post  
post #8912 of 8928 Old Today, 04:43 PM
pochoboy
Advanced Member
 
pochoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
Not really sure what this means or what you are implying but you are really reading into this way to much. You made a comment about TV's and I replied to it. Nothing more then that. No need to be defensive or think I am out to destroy your world.

How about we move on in a more friendly manner and get back to discussing TV's.

And no, I will not always agree with what people say here nor do I expect them to agree with everything I say but that is why we conversate here and express our different opinions.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your F8500. It is no doubt a great TV.
Really Eric. I'm to blame as I do get offensive flack in other forums. I understand, my apologies to you, that I took it the wrong way. You Win!
Let's move on cause I do enjoy what posters have to say here, yours included.
pochoboy is online now Report Post  
post #8913 of 8928 Old Today, 04:48 PM
eric3316
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,313
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by pochoboy View Post
But yes, the Panny according to people in the know, have better blacks and I wonder how much I'm missing or not as the f8500 has some faint light in a totally black scene with no lights on in my den. But is way blacker than with my 2 former Panasonics(G10,VT30).

never seen a VT/ZT 60 myself or a lower model in the 60 line of Panasonic. Never kept up with the technology until a got the vt30 7 blinks of death. I'm super happy with my f8500. I don't think I'm going to run the slides for break-in on this one as I won't be having someone to calibrate it.
The VT60 also has a faint glow on an all black screen like the F8500, just that the glow is less then the F8500. No way near an OLED though.

With lights on there is no black advantage to the VT60 over the F8500 and in a naturally lit daytime room the F8500 shows much better contrast then the VT60 does as blacks will appear more gray in the daytime. The F8500 has an amazing daytime filter to preserve blacks which is seperate then it's ability to also get pretty bright for a plasma.

If you are watching in a totally dark room, I would reccomend tunring the cell light down pretty low to help give your blacks a more darker perceived looked to them. I find people like to watch their TV way to bright in a dark room then it should be.
eric3316 is online now Report Post  
post #8914 of 8928 Unread Today, 05:19 PM
DRN94
Senior Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
The VT60 also has a faint glow on an all black screen like the F8500, just that the glow is less then the F8500. No way near an OLED though.

With lights on there is no black advantage to the VT60 over the F8500 and in a naturally lit daytime room the F8500 shows much better contrast then the VT60 does as blacks will appear more gray in the daytime. The F8500 has an amazing daytime filter to preserve blacks which is seperate then it's ability to also get pretty bright for a plasma.

If you are watching in a totally dark room, I would reccomend tunring the cell light down pretty low to help give your blacks a more darker perceived looked to them. I find people like to watch their TV way to bright in a dark room then it should be.
Interesting, because from what reviewers have said and what Todd on this forum has found with his meter is that the blacks on the F8500 remain the same regardless of cell light settings. So I was under the impression that maxing the cell light will give you the highest possible contrast ratio the panel can produce.
DRN94 is online now Report Post  
post #8915 of 8928 Unread Today, 05:26 PM
AMartin56
AVS Special Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post
Interesting, because from what reviewers have said and what Todd on this forum has found with his meter is that the blacks on the F8500 remain the same regardless of cell light settings. So I was under the impression that maxing the cell light will give you the highest possible contrast ratio the panel can produce.
I experimented with lower cell light to allow for black room viewing without eyestrain and I felt like it really sucked the life out of the picture.

Let's face it... This model gets its contrast out of the high end. IMO you weaken the TV if you lower the brightness.

I now use a 40ftL setting in the dark with a bias light. Works great.
AMartin56 is online now Report Post  
post #8916 of 8928 Unread Today, 05:26 PM
eric3316
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,313
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post
Interesting, because from what reviewers have said and what Todd on this forum has found with his meter is that the blacks on the F8500 remain the same regardless of cell light settings. So I was under the impression that maxing the cell light will give you the highest possible contrast ratio the panel can produce.
There is a difference between perceived blacks and measured blacks. During the day on an LED blacks look inky but they still don't measure any differently then when you watch at night and their blacks look terrible.

I cannot imagine watching in a dark room with the cell light on 20. The eye strain that would cause is not fun.

I think the picture looks so much better in a dark room when you turn the cell light down, besides the fact of removing eye strain while watching.

If you want only blacks, you need to add bias lighting.

Last edited by eric3316; Today at 06:45 PM.
eric3316 is online now Report Post  
post #8917 of 8928 Unread Today, 05:45 PM
Deltron
Member
 
Deltron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Shawnee Mission, Ks.
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, I just couldn't stand it. Purchased a 60" a couple of weeks ago and decided I'd better grab the 64" before they're gone too. I just can't come to terms with LCD sets yet.

Never had a 60" for a bedroom TV.
Deltron is offline Report Post  
post #8918 of 8928 Unread Today, 06:24 PM
tomnan24
Advanced Member
 
tomnan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: oh-io
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Timing is everything. It took me a week but I couldn't put up with my LCD anymore. I had just decided to return my Samsung UHD 7250 and buy the 51F8500.

Took the TV back to Best Buy and went to order the Plasma...tough luck, they're all gone
tomnan24 is online now Report Post  
post #8919 of 8928 Unread Today, 07:17 PM
Ice That Jaw
Senior Member
 
Ice That Jaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
All of sudden, about 3 days ago, the anynet+ stopped working and now I can't get it to recognize my receiver! This is extremely frustrating and now my receiver and speakers are useless and I can't use headphones late at night.

Maybe it was part of the last update?

LNT-4665F
T-TULPAUS0-1036, Aug 24 2007
T-TULPAUS5-1011 CS[D652] [46(AMV)-inch]

PS3
XBOX 360
Crappy Sound Reciever
Ice That Jaw is offline Report Post  
post #8920 of 8928 Unread Today, 07:48 PM
dswierenga
Member
 
dswierenga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, Amazon just notified me the my 51in F8500 has been shipped. I think I got one of the last and at a great price of $998. Hope it arrives with no problems.

Panasonic TCP65VT60
Pioneer Elite VSX-70
Oppo BDP-103
Dish VIP722
AR-91 front speakers
PSB-Image 8C center spkr
Velodyne DLS-5000R subwoofer
Model Six surrounds
Harmony One remote
dswierenga is online now Report Post  
post #8921 of 8928 Unread Today, 08:54 PM
DRN94
Senior Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I experimented with lower cell light to allow for black room viewing without eyestrain and I felt like it really sucked the life out of the picture.

Let's face it... This model gets its contrast out of the high end. IMO you weaken the TV if you lower the brightness.

I now use a 40ftL setting in the dark with a bias light. Works great.
That's what I was thinking. Too bad it doesn't behave like LED where the black goes down with the backlight. Is 40ftL the max white at cell light 20 in movie mode?
DRN94 is online now Report Post  
post #8922 of 8928 Unread Today, 09:09 PM
pochoboy
Advanced Member
 
pochoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
There is a difference between perceived blacks and measured blacks. During the day on an LED blacks look inky but they still don't measure any differently then when you watch at night and their blacks look terrible.

I cannot imagine watching in a dark room with the cell light on 20. The eye strain that would cause is not fun.

I think the picture looks so much better in a dark room when you turn the cell light down, besides the fact of removing eye strain while watching.

If you want only blacks, you need to add bias lighting.
lol, no kidding! OOTB, in movie mode after watching about 1-1/2 hours of bb my eyes were pretty worn out, it felt puffy,irritated and I had to call it a night. Still haven't found time to play very much with the setup yet but I can say a 60" and eyes ~5' from the panel is kind of uncomfortable for me trying to capture the whole screen with the bb game. Hopefully when get all my electronics wired up and push the tv/stand back another 2' it'll be more watchable.
pochoboy is online now Report Post  
post #8923 of 8928 Unread Today, 09:15 PM
dsskid
AVS Special Member
 
dsskid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by pochoboy View Post
lol, no kidding! OOTB, in movie mode after watching about 1-1/2 hours of bb my eyes were pretty worn out, it felt puffy,irritated and I had to call it a night. Still haven't found time to play very much with the setup yet but I can say a 60" and eyes ~5' from the panel is kind of uncomfortable for me trying to capture the whole screen with the bb game. Hopefully when get all my electronics wired up and push the tv/stand back another 2' it'll be more watchable.
I found setting contrast level to 95, and then setting cell light to between 15-17, most comfortable at night with some moderate light in the room.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
dsskid is online now Report Post  
post #8924 of 8928 Unread Today, 09:41 PM
AMartin56
AVS Special Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post
That's what I was thinking. Too bad it doesn't behave like LED where the black goes down with the backlight. Is 40ftL the max white at cell light 20 in movie mode?
Hell no! I think max cell light and contrast is more like 60 ftL if I remember correctly.

I use 16 with 95ish contrast to get 40 ftL.
AMartin56 is online now Report Post  
post #8925 of 8928 Unread Today, 09:42 PM
kronius
Member
 
kronius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronius View Post
Woohoo!

I'll update after it arrives.

Okay, so, I ordered the TV from www.thehighdefinitionstore.com. I would've ordered from Amazon, but they were already sold out of the 64".

When I ordered the TV over the phone, the guy told me the TV would be delivered, the delivery service would take the TV out of the box for me and connect it to a power outlet so that I could turn it on and make sure it worked, but they would not connect it to an input source like a DVR.

So, that was fine with me because I don't even have cable yet (just moved). The TV gets delivered today, but the guy won't even take it out of the box. He says all they got paid to do is take it inside the threshold. I go to www.thehighdefinitionstore.com website where it describes their delivery service, and it says the delivery is "threshold plus":

"THRESHOLD PLUS can be defined as 'delivered inside the front door', where the common carrier is responsible to take the product off of the truck and deliver the product just inside the recipient’s preferred entrance."

Not sure what the "Plus" means, because that sounds like just "Threshold" to me. But more importantly, that is NOT what I was told on the phone. I was told they would take it out of the box and plug it in. This is important because I'm alone and have no way to take it out of the packaging by myself.

The HD Store was already closed when this happened, so I'll call them tomorrow to try to straighten it out, but I'm pretty sure I'll just get the run-around, so I went ahead and made an appointment to have the Geek Squad come to my house on Saturday to install the TV ($150+tax)

Not happy.
kronius is online now Report Post  
post #8926 of 8928 Unread Today, 10:02 PM
kronius
Member
 
kronius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronius View Post
The HD Store was already closed when this happened, so I'll call them tomorrow to try to straighten it out, but I'm pretty sure I'll just get the run-around, so I went ahead and made an appointment to have the Geek Squad come to my house on Saturday to install the TV ($150+tax)

Not happy.
The sad thing is that if they just gave it to me straight and offered me the white glove delivery for an extra charge (which their website says they do), I would've happily paid the extra money, assuming it was a reasonable cost. Now they have a very dissatisfied customer, and Best Buy is getting the money for the installation, rather than them...

If only Amazon hadn't been sold out.
kronius is online now Report Post  
post #8927 of 8928 Unread Today, 10:08 PM
AMartin56
AVS Special Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Not to make light of your situation but assuming the set is free of defects you're going to forget all about this once you fire it up for the first time and get to enjoy the picture.
AMartin56 is online now Report Post  
post #8928 of 8928 Unread Today, 10:15 PM
kronius
Member
 
kronius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Not to make light of your situation but assuming the set is free of defects you're going to forget all about this once you fire it up for the first time and get to enjoy the picture.
Yes, that's true, but I'm still out the extra $150.
kronius is online now Report Post  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting

Cut
Copy
Paste
Undo
Redo
 
Check Spelling
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Bold
Italic
Underline
Align Left
Align Center
Align Right
Ordered List
Unordered List
Decrease Indent
Increase Indent
Insert Email Link
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
Wrap [CODE] tags around selected text
Wrap [HTML] tags around selected text
Wrap [PHP] tags around selected text
Wrap [SPOILER] tags around selected text
Wrap [MENTION] tags around selected text
Smilies [More]
:) :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :cool: :p ;) :D :o :( :confused:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress:
0
Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip
Options



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off