Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 301 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9001 of 9014 Old Today, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would like to do the latest firmware update as my display is from 2013. Can anyone tell me what I should expect from this and exactly how to do it as I have never done an update before.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9002 of 9014 Old Today, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a similar setup but a Marantz SR-5003 receiver. STB, DVD, Game player all feeding the Marantz via HDMI and an optical cable back to the Marantz for smarthub app sound.

I have the same issue with the TV thinking it has lost input from the HDMI and popping up that message, very annoying.

Also having issues with the sound from smarthub apps like Netflix and Amazon, I cannot get it to synch up and the TV adjustment is not enough.

Any ideas here?

Is there another way to set up an A/V receiver and a Smart TV that I should consider? (Using the TV as a streaming hub while the A/V generates all the sound)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
ok guys,

if I can interrupt the purchasing and buzz talk for a sec, LOL.

I have one I can't figure out.

for reference, I have a yamaha rxv-1900

I have everything (dish, ps3,) running HDMI to the 1900, then one hdmi to the TV for input. I then have a optical running out from the TV to the 1900 for sound from the tv while streaming movies, etc, using anything from the TV.

so when I switch my 1900 from cbl/sat (hmdi from 1900 to TV), to TV (which is the optical input running from TV to 1900), the F8500 tells me the source is disconnected repeatedly with a message on the screen.

it's annoying as I am switching the 1900 to take sound from the TV, but the TV thinks it's lost input from the HDMI. Well duh, I want to use the TV as the source for sound, not the input from HDMI externally.

how do you stop this message?
post #9003 of 9014 Old Today, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit58 View Post
I would like to do the latest firmware update as my display is from 2013. Can anyone tell me what I should expect from this and exactly how to do it as I have never done an update before.

Thanks
Easy Peasy.

a) Turn TV off. Unplug TV power cord.
b) Disconnect all input cables to TV.
c) Plug in power cord. Turn TV on.
d) Update firmware; ensure no power interruptions during update.
e) After you're certain update has completed, turn TV off, then on.
f) Reset tv: Menu, Support, Self Diagnosis, Reset.
g) After reset concludes, turn tv off, unplug TV power cord.
h) Reconnect input cables to tv.
i) Plug in TV power cord. Turn TV on.
j) Pour your favorite beverage...

Last edited by bmcn; Today at 12:16 PM.
post #9004 of 9014 Old Today, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris N. View Post
I have a similar setup but a Marantz SR-5003 receiver. STB, DVD, Game player all feeding the Marantz via HDMI and an optical cable back to the Marantz for smarthub app sound.

I have the same issue with the TV thinking it has lost input from the HDMI and popping up that message, very annoying.

Also having issues with the sound from smarthub apps like Netflix and Amazon, I cannot get it to synch up and the TV adjustment is not enough.

Any ideas here?

Is there another way to set up an A/V receiver and a Smart TV that I should consider? (Using the TV as a streaming hub while the A/V generates all the sound)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
ok guys,

if I can interrupt the purchasing and buzz talk for a sec, LOL.

I have one I can't figure out.

for reference, I have a yamaha rxv-1900

I have everything (dish, ps3,) running HDMI to the 1900, then one hdmi to the TV for input. I then have a optical running out from the TV to the 1900 for sound from the tv while streaming movies, etc, using anything from the TV.

so when I switch my 1900 from cbl/sat (hmdi from 1900 to TV), to TV (which is the optical input running from TV to 1900), the F8500 tells me the source is disconnected repeatedly with a message on the screen.

it's annoying as I am switching the 1900 to take sound from the TV, but the TV thinks it's lost input from the HDMI. Well duh, I want to use the TV as the source for sound, not the input from HDMI externally.

how do you stop this message?
Glad to see I'm not alone.

If anyone has any ideas please follow up
post #9005 of 9014 Old Today, 01:22 PM

I just spend the better part of two hours trying to figure this out.

My first thought was perhaps I can configure the receiver to send an hdmi signal out and receive an optical in when set to TV. No dice, once an hdmi is assigned to an input (Cable/SAT) it cannot be assigned to anything else.

My other thought was to connect everything to the TV itself and have it send all sound to the receiver through the optical out but I can't figure out how to program the Samsung TV remote to control the cable box and the A/V for volume. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know.
post #9006 of 9014 Old Today, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

My first thought was perhaps I can configure the receiver to send an hdmi signal out and receive an optical in when set to TV. No dice, once an hdmi is assigned to an input (Cable/SAT) it cannot be assigned to anything else.

My other thought was to connect everything to the TV itself and have it send all sound to the receiver through the optical out but I can't figure out how to program the Samsung TV remote to control the cable box and the A/V for volume. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know.
I didn't want to do that since we will also lose our loseless by running bluray to the TV first then optical to AVR

I tried to assign HDMI and Optical to the same input as well but couldn't get it to work.

the 1900 isn't exactly a crappy AVR either
post #9007 of 9014 Old Today, 01:50 PM

Quote:

My Denon AVR, same company as Marantz, can be setup so the audio source is the "TV" via optical. The 8500's speaker select should be set to either 'external speakers' or 'receiver ' Did you try that combination?

If you have to use the second scenario, I'd ditch the Sammy remote for a Harmony.

Last edited by bmcn; Today at 01:57 PM.
post #9008 of 9014 Old Today, 02:12 PM

"My Denon AVR, same company as Marantz, can be setup so the audio source is the "TV" via optical. The 8500's speaker select should be set to either ''external speakers or 'receiver ' Did you try that combination?"

8500 is set to "external speakers"

I tried setting the A/V input so that TV was HDMI input and Audio was Optical In but the sound always came from the STB no matter what the video input was. I will try this setting and turn off the STB, perhaps then it will allow the Optical In to become the default audio. I still think I am going to continue to run into the issue where the set thinks hdmi has been disconnected when input has changed...

I have a Harmony and quickly connected it to my pc, it does not look like the Samsung remote is in the Harmony database because it wanted me to 'learn' all the functions manually. This doesn't make sense...
post #9009 of 9014 Old Today, 02:23 PM

Quote:
"My Denon AVR, same company as Marantz, can be setup so the audio source is the "TV" via optical. The 8500's speaker select should be set to either ''external speakers or 'receiver ' Did you try that combination?"

8500 is set to "external speakers"

I tried setting the A/V input so that TV was HDMI input and Audio was Optical In but the sound always came from the STB no matter what the video input was. I will try this setting and turn off the STB, perhaps then it will allow the Optical In to become the default audio. I still think I am going to continue to run into the issue where the set thinks hdmi has been disconnected when input has changed...

I have a Harmony and quickly connected it to my pc, it does not look like the Samsung remote is in the Harmony database because it wanted me to 'learn' all the functions manually. This doesn't make sense...

You might have to tinker with the 8500's Digital Audio Out settings.

I don't think HDMI TV IN for video is relevant. With the Denon setup, the only HDMI to TV connection is 'monitor 1 OUT', or some such.

The F8500 is in Harmony's database, try using the complete model #.

If you can get the audio working w/scenario 1, try setting up a seperate activity on the Harmony to watch from the hub and pause the dvr so its audio doesn't conflict w/the hub's. Not certain you want to turn off the dvr because it then won't record your schedule.

Last edited by bmcn; Today at 04:00 PM.
post #9010 of 9014 Old Today, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Suddenly having ARC issues

I have a PN60F8500 and a Marantz 1402 receiver. Have used ARC successfully for a couple of months.

Recently, ARC stopped working, and the TV no longer turns the receiver on at power up. If I go into speaker settings on the TV, the receiver is no longer an option.

HDMI cable is still plugged in correctly on both ends - no other connections have changed either.

I've tried unplugging both devices, disconnected and reconnected cables, with no luck. I've also switched Anynet off and back on, and toggled HDMI control (on receiver) off and back on as well.

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas?

Thanks!
Paul
post #9011 of 9014 Old Today, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Easy Peasy.

a) Turn TV off. Unplug TV power cord.
b) Disconnect all input cables to TV.
c) Plug in power cord. Turn TV on.
d) Update firmware; ensure no power interruptions during update.
e) After you're certain update has completed, turn TV off, then on.
f) Reset tv: Menu, Support, Self Diagnosis, Reset.
g) After reset concludes, turn tv off, unplug TV power cord.
h) Reconnect input cables to tv.
i) Plug in TV power cord. Turn TV on.
j) Pour your favorite beverage...
if you're going to reset the tv, make sure you record your calibration(if done) before doing the update. i don't think you need to do a reset unless there's an issue with the updating process, which there shouldn't be if you follow ALL of the above listed precautions.

to be honest, i've done at least a dozen updates, and i've never unplugged or reset anything. no issues whatsoever. but it's better to be safe than sorry, and since i'm not going to provide you with any kind of warranty, i'm NOT telling you to do what i did. but if any of the above steps are really troubling or difficult to do, you should be fine. the big one is making sure you don't lose power.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #9012 of 9014 Old Today, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Without reading the whole thread, is there any quick link to break-in recommendations? I received mine yesterday and thus far have just been watching normally but am wondering if there is anything i should be doing.
post #9013 of 9014 Old Today, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 410
post #9014 of 9014 Old Today, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
i'm not going to provide you with any kind of warranty
whaddaya mean no warranty!?!

Last edited by bmcn; Today at 05:00 PM.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread