Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 301 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #9001 of 11182 Old 11-23-2014, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit58 View Post
I would like to do the latest firmware update as my display is from 2013. Can anyone tell me what I should expect from this and exactly how to do it as I have never done an update before.

Thanks
Easy Peasy.

a) Turn TV off. Unplug TV power cord.
b) Disconnect all input cables to TV.
c) Plug in power cord. Turn TV on.
d) Update firmware; ensure no power interruptions during update.
e) After you're certain update has completed, turn TV off, then on.
f) Reset tv: Menu, Support, Self Diagnosis, Reset.
g) After reset concludes, turn tv off, unplug TV power cord.
h) Reconnect input cables to tv.
i) Plug in TV power cord. Turn TV on.
j) Pour your favorite beverage...

Last edited by bmcn; 11-23-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9002 of 11182 Old 11-23-2014, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris N. View Post
I have a similar setup but a Marantz SR-5003 receiver. STB, DVD, Game player all feeding the Marantz via HDMI and an optical cable back to the Marantz for smarthub app sound.

I have the same issue with the TV thinking it has lost input from the HDMI and popping up that message, very annoying.

Also having issues with the sound from smarthub apps like Netflix and Amazon, I cannot get it to synch up and the TV adjustment is not enough.

Any ideas here?

Is there another way to set up an A/V receiver and a Smart TV that I should consider? (Using the TV as a streaming hub while the A/V generates all the sound)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
ok guys,

if I can interrupt the purchasing and buzz talk for a sec, LOL.

I have one I can't figure out.

for reference, I have a yamaha rxv-1900

I have everything (dish, ps3,) running HDMI to the 1900, then one hdmi to the TV for input. I then have a optical running out from the TV to the 1900 for sound from the tv while streaming movies, etc, using anything from the TV.

so when I switch my 1900 from cbl/sat (hmdi from 1900 to TV), to TV (which is the optical input running from TV to 1900), the F8500 tells me the source is disconnected repeatedly with a message on the screen.

it's annoying as I am switching the 1900 to take sound from the TV, but the TV thinks it's lost input from the HDMI. Well duh, I want to use the TV as the source for sound, not the input from HDMI externally.

how do you stop this message?
Glad to see I'm not alone.

If anyone has any ideas please follow up
post #9003 of 11182 Old 11-23-2014, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just spend the better part of two hours trying to figure this out.

My first thought was perhaps I can configure the receiver to send an hdmi signal out and receive an optical in when set to TV. No dice, once an hdmi is assigned to an input (Cable/SAT) it cannot be assigned to anything else.

My other thought was to connect everything to the TV itself and have it send all sound to the receiver through the optical out but I can't figure out how to program the Samsung TV remote to control the cable box and the A/V for volume. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know.
post #9004 of 11182 Old 11-23-2014, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

My first thought was perhaps I can configure the receiver to send an hdmi signal out and receive an optical in when set to TV. No dice, once an hdmi is assigned to an input (Cable/SAT) it cannot be assigned to anything else.

My other thought was to connect everything to the TV itself and have it send all sound to the receiver through the optical out but I can't figure out how to program the Samsung TV remote to control the cable box and the A/V for volume. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know.
I didn't want to do that since we will also lose our loseless by running bluray to the TV first then optical to AVR

I tried to assign HDMI and Optical to the same input as well but couldn't get it to work.

the 1900 isn't exactly a crappy AVR either
post #9005 of 11182 Old 11-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My Denon AVR, same company as Marantz, can be setup so the audio source is the "TV" via optical. The 8500's speaker select should be set to either 'external speakers' or 'receiver ' Did you try that combination?

If you have to use the second scenario, I'd ditch the Sammy remote for a Harmony.

Last edited by bmcn; 11-23-2014 at 01:57 PM.
post #9006 of 11182 Old 11-23-2014, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
"My Denon AVR, same company as Marantz, can be setup so the audio source is the "TV" via optical. The 8500's speaker select should be set to either ''external speakers or 'receiver ' Did you try that combination?"

8500 is set to "external speakers"

I tried setting the A/V input so that TV was HDMI input and Audio was Optical In but the sound always came from the STB no matter what the video input was. I will try this setting and turn off the STB, perhaps then it will allow the Optical In to become the default audio. I still think I am going to continue to run into the issue where the set thinks hdmi has been disconnected when input has changed...

I have a Harmony and quickly connected it to my pc, it does not look like the Samsung remote is in the Harmony database because it wanted me to 'learn' all the functions manually. This doesn't make sense...
post #9007 of 11182 Old 11-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
"My Denon AVR, same company as Marantz, can be setup so the audio source is the "TV" via optical. The 8500's speaker select should be set to either ''external speakers or 'receiver ' Did you try that combination?"

8500 is set to "external speakers"

I tried setting the A/V input so that TV was HDMI input and Audio was Optical In but the sound always came from the STB no matter what the video input was. I will try this setting and turn off the STB, perhaps then it will allow the Optical In to become the default audio. I still think I am going to continue to run into the issue where the set thinks hdmi has been disconnected when input has changed...

I have a Harmony and quickly connected it to my pc, it does not look like the Samsung remote is in the Harmony database because it wanted me to 'learn' all the functions manually. This doesn't make sense...

You might have to tinker with the 8500's Digital Audio Out settings.

I don't think HDMI TV IN for video is relevant. With the Denon setup, the only HDMI to TV connection is 'monitor 1 OUT', or some such.

The F8500 is in Harmony's database, try using the complete model #.

If you can get the audio working w/scenario 1, try setting up a seperate activity on the Harmony to watch from the hub and pause the dvr so its audio doesn't conflict w/the hub's. Not certain you want to turn off the dvr because it then won't record your schedule.

Last edited by bmcn; 11-23-2014 at 04:00 PM.
post #9008 of 11182 Old 11-23-2014, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Suddenly having ARC issues

I have a PN60F8500 and a Marantz 1402 receiver. Have used ARC successfully for a couple of months.

Recently, ARC stopped working, and the TV no longer turns the receiver on at power up. If I go into speaker settings on the TV, the receiver is no longer an option.

HDMI cable is still plugged in correctly on both ends - no other connections have changed either.

I've tried unplugging both devices, disconnected and reconnected cables, with no luck. I've also switched Anynet off and back on, and toggled HDMI control (on receiver) off and back on as well.

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas?

Thanks!
Paul
post #9009 of 11182 Old 11-23-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Easy Peasy.

a) Turn TV off. Unplug TV power cord.
b) Disconnect all input cables to TV.
c) Plug in power cord. Turn TV on.
d) Update firmware; ensure no power interruptions during update.
e) After you're certain update has completed, turn TV off, then on.
f) Reset tv: Menu, Support, Self Diagnosis, Reset.
g) After reset concludes, turn tv off, unplug TV power cord.
h) Reconnect input cables to tv.
i) Plug in TV power cord. Turn TV on.
j) Pour your favorite beverage...
if you're going to reset the tv, make sure you record your calibration(if done) before doing the update. i don't think you need to do a reset unless there's an issue with the updating process, which there shouldn't be if you follow ALL of the above listed precautions.

to be honest, i've done at least a dozen updates, and i've never unplugged or reset anything. no issues whatsoever. but it's better to be safe than sorry, and since i'm not going to provide you with any kind of warranty, i'm NOT telling you to do what i did. but if any of the above steps are really troubling or difficult to do, you should be fine. the big one is making sure you don't lose power.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #9010 of 11182 Old 11-23-2014, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Without reading the whole thread, is there any quick link to break-in recommendations? I received mine yesterday and thus far have just been watching normally but am wondering if there is anything i should be doing.
post #9011 of 11182 Old 11-23-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 505
post #9012 of 11182 Old 11-23-2014, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
i'm not going to provide you with any kind of warranty
whaddaya mean no warranty!?!

Last edited by bmcn; 11-23-2014 at 05:00 PM.
post #9013 of 11182 Old 11-23-2014, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
So I have never done a firmware update on anything. Where do I get the firmware update and how do I introduce it to the samsung. A true novice.

Thanks
post #9014 of 11182 Old 11-23-2014, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
"it's been mentioned so many times"..this is a 300 page thread...even an advance search and good keywords it will yield many irrelevant results...unless OP's been on top of tracking common problems in the initial post it's often easier for owners' to just chime in if they've been following this thread to give a quick coles notes.

Thank you fierce for taking a few minutes to respond. Cheers to a fellow Canadian.

Most B&E are completed within 2 minutes...I have my important things locked down...they won't have time to unscrew things but just grab and go...most are petty thieves that won't bring bolt cutters.
I think that what both those other posters meant is that it's not common for people to experience a breaking and entering. It's not nearly as common as your car getting broken into or someone stealing something at your workplace. If you're honestly concerned about someone breaking into your house to steal this big TV then you should be more concerned about the security system in your home rather than the local security on the TV.
post #9015 of 11182 Old 11-23-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
I think that what both those other posters meant is that it's not common for people to experience a breaking and entering. It's not nearly as common as your car getting broken into or someone stealing something at your workplace. If you're honestly concerned about someone breaking into your house to steal this big TV then you should be more concerned about the security system in your home rather than the local security on the TV.
If they want it, they'll take it no matter what security you have in place. Breakin artists know from the time the alarm goes off, most times they have 10 to 15 minutes to grab what they want, even if it means cutting various cables - security, video, audio, power, etc.
Note here: Camera on your TV or laptop, allows hackers to see the layout of your place, and where everything is. Leave Cameras incapacitated with lock downs, black tape, or covered with something to block anyone seeing!
post #9016 of 11182 Old 11-24-2014, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDMB View Post
Without reading the whole thread, is there any quick link to break-in recommendations? I received mine yesterday and thus far have just been watching normally but am wondering if there is anything i should be doing.
If you want to break it in to fly through the 100-200 hours and get it calibrated, you can run color slides in a slide show when you are asleep or at work.

This is what I am currently doing so I can get the optimal cal within the 30 day return window and make sure nothing is going to go wrong (while it is still easy to return it if necessary).

This is where I got my slides from (after searching around a bunch) http://www.hometheatershack.com/break_in_images.zip Throw them onto an SSD or thumbdrive and run them on a slideshow on the "slow" play setting

Let me once again reiterate, watching full screen content will do the same thing as these slides. So don't go out of your way to run these slides; if you are home, enjoy your tv.

There are a million opinions about break-in and what it can do for you. But the prevailing opinion I have seen here is that it is not needed for anything more than flying through the first 100-200 hours of operation; won't do anything to prevent future burn-in or anything like that.
Blue Rain likes this.
post #9017 of 11182 Old 11-24-2014, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Does anyone have the Evolution Kit for this tv? I really have no use for it, but I notice that it has HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2. Would that allow you to play downcoverted 4k blurays once they are released?
post #9018 of 11182 Old 11-24-2014, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So I have never done a firmware update on anything. Where do I get the firmware update and how do I introduce it to the samsung. A true novice.

Thanks

What is the firmware version number now installed on your tv? You can find the current version number by opening the 8500's menu, then navigate to Support, Software Update, Update Now.
post #9019 of 11182 Old 11-24-2014, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
There is so much great information but with that it seems search brings up so much information that it not pertinent.

I will be getting mine in about 2 weeks. I am not sure I want to spend on the pro calibration as I like to tinker myself. Can I do it without buying he gauge? What do you all recommend for calibrating this TV? Is there a simple calibration DVD that might give me 95% (with a good set of eyes?)

Thanks in advance?
post #9020 of 11182 Old 11-24-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoepup View Post
There is so much great information but with that it seems search brings up so much information that it not pertinent.

I will be getting mine in about 2 weeks. I am not sure I want to spend on the pro calibration as I like to tinker myself. Can I do it without buying he gauge? What do you all recommend for calibrating this TV? Is there a simple calibration DVD that might give me 95% (with a good set of eyes?)

Thanks in advance?
You are not getting 95% without a meter. Heck, the DYI's with meters are doing good if they can get 95% of what the pro calibrators can do, lol.

As good as you think your eyes are, you cannot calibrate color and grayscale with them. The best you will do without a meter is set contrast, black levels and tint.
post #9021 of 11182 Old 11-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
If they want it, they'll take it no matter what security you have in place. Breakin artists know from the time the alarm goes off, most times they have 10 to 15 minutes to grab what they want, even if it means cutting various cables - security, video, audio, power, etc.
Note here: Camera on your TV or laptop, allows hackers to see the layout of your place, and where everything is. Leave Cameras incapacitated with lock downs, black tape, or covered with something to block anyone seeing!
I understand what you're saying wholeheartedly but my point (and I think the other members were saying this too) is if you have to worry about someone breaking in your home the F8500 should be the least of your worries. I'd like to think the people on this forum who spend this type of money for a TV like this have even more valuable things in their home. Also, you said, "If they want it, they will take it no matter what security you have in place". Sure, but a theif would have to know what TV you have. To most people a flat-screened TV all looks the same inside/outside the box. Heck, I live in an apartment and had my F8500 delivered and the first thing that worried me was my neighbors seeing this expensive TV being delivered to my place. Well after I got over it and realized that most likley 99% of them hardly noticed the model number and to the rest of them, for all they know I could've bought this 64" TV from Walmart and you do realize that you can buy 60"+ TV at Walmart for $1000 or less.

So like I said, a theif would have to know that you have this TV in your home before attempting to break in and if people can easily break into your home the least of your worries should be that they take the F8500. I was just saying that member wanting to lock it down using a Kensington of some sort is a bit extreme.
post #9022 of 11182 Old 11-24-2014, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
You are not getting 95% without a meter. Heck, the DYI's with meters are doing good if they can get 95% of what the pro calibrators can do, lol.

As good as you think your eyes are, you cannot calibrate color and grayscale with them. The best you will do without a meter is set contrast, black levels and tint.

Thanks. Without a meter what can i expect to get? which DVD should I use?
post #9023 of 11182 Old 11-24-2014, 07:29 PM

Current version is, 1119 Thanks so much for your help. So how do I update it?
post #9024 of 11182 Old 11-24-2014, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Current version is, 1119 Thanks so much for your help. So how do I update it?
First take a look at Post #9003 near the top of this page. To start the update select "Update now" on the same menu page you found the "Current ver." Ensure the 8500 doesn't lose power during the update.

Last edited by bmcn; 11-25-2014 at 09:25 AM.
post #9025 of 11182 Old 11-25-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
I would like to do the latest firmware update as my display is from 2013. Can anyone tell me what I should expect from this and exactly how to do it as I have never done an update before.

Thanks
Set "Auto Update" to ON (Support -> Software Update -> Auto Update) and forget about it. Your tv will automatically update its firmware while you're not watching tv. You don't need to do anything else. Enjoy!!
post #9026 of 11182 Old 11-25-2014, 06:13 PM

Thanks!
post #9027 of 11182 Old 11-25-2014, 06:18 PM

So that's cool that all I have to do is auto update, where does the display get its update info from?
post #9028 of 11182 Old 11-25-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
So that's cool that all I have to do is auto update, where does the display get its update info from?

Samsung...where else would it get the update from?

Sent from an system/360
post #9029 of 11182 Old 11-25-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Well, you first must ensure your tv has access to the internet via your home network. I assume you have already initialized your tv's network settings shortly after turning on your tv for the first time. Once you do, the tv will access Samsung's support site and download the latest firmware to your tv.

Last edited by DanF8500; 11-25-2014 at 07:16 PM.
post #9030 of 11182 Old 11-26-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
So $1999 for a 60 and $2999 for a 64...is the 4 inches really worth $1k?

Also...I'm going to drive 1.5 or 2 hours to pick up 1 of these bad boys...is there anybody on this thread that got a tv without the buzzing or that didn't have to return it?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page