Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 307 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9181 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
It's too bad I can't just take that sweet 8500 bezel and stand and put it on my H5000. This thing is flimsy.

Or can I? Are the panels the same size? Thinking out loud.
LOL, that's just another justification of the F8500's higher price tag. The bezel and rear cover are a beautiful metal design and a natural darkened gun metal color. Some people see it as plain but it's a beautiful design.

Not to be "THAT GUY" but you get what you pay for and just enjoy what you have. You still got a nice TV and you paid far less than others who bought the F8500. That's the trade off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9182 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawzalot View Post
I guess I dont have to be torn between the sizes, the 60 is no longer available so Ill leave my order for the 64 inch in tact delivery mid next Friday.
Yep, the 64" are the easiest to find.......
post #9183 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
LOL, that's just another justification of the F8500's higher price tag. The bezel and rear cover are a beautiful metal design and a natural darkened gun metal color. Some people see it as plain but it's a beautiful design.

Not to be "THAT GUY" but you get what you pay for and just enjoy what you have. You still got a nice TV and you paid far less than others who bought the F8500. That's the trade off.
Yeah, the H5000 is 85% of the display for less than half of the price. Not complaining there

It's definitely getting wall mounted in my next place.
post #9184 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawzalot View Post
I am torn between the 60 or the 64 incher, saving 1000 dollars is a sweet deal if I give up 4 inches. I think going from my pioneer 500m 50 incher to a 60 inch would seem significant but the 64 might be the better choice , should I save some dough or go all out, very tough call here.
Anecdotal evidence suggests the 60" models are more prone to buzzing so if you're on the fence...
sawzalot likes this.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #9185 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Ah, It looks like BB will now let me place an order on the 51" model and Amazon also have them in stock currently. Not quite dead yet...

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #9186 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, the H5000 is 85% of the display for less than half of the price. Not complaining there

It's definitely getting wall mounted in my next place.
Ummm...not quite. While I will pay homage to any Plasma over the best LCD TV, I have to say that not all Plasmas are built alike. You do have a nice set but the H5000 is nowhere near 85% of the F8500. The Pentile display alone brings it to under 50% of the F8500. The filters, brightness and color accuracy on the F8500 make it an even much higher-end TV in PQ. Both TV's are in a completely different category.
Blue Rain likes this.
post #9187 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
just got my 64 8500 today and just looks awesome ... i had a new 4k set the hu8550 and i could not stand it . i messed with it for 3 weeks before u returned it and went back to plasma. i have 4 samsung plasmas now and the led look was just not for me .. it took me a week to find this tv anywhere and got it off amazon for 2500 shipped. so far i did nothing besides hang it on the wall run some full screen blurays to break it in and set it on movie mode with color at warm 1 and turned the gamma down to -1 as chad b sugested in here somewhere . i have a little buzz but honestly don't think i would have noticed it but i went looking for it lol. then i went to one of my low end plasmas on the wall and sure enough it has a little buzz too burt i never noticed that ,all i did was set them tvs up with the avs slides and didnt read about them .. all in all i love this new set and feel lucky to have it . dish looked horiable upscaled to 4k it was just awful.. on this tv looks like a 1080p bluray..
i got alot of reading to do now . is there anyone who has the 64 who found some awesome settings they care to share. or a link to look at .also where can i find the date my tv was made i hung it on the wall so cant see behind it .its not on my box is there a way to find out with out takeing it off the wall ? thank you cant wait to keep this plasma going for a long time . or at least to oleds get bigger and come way down in price .
post #9188 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Ummm...not quite. While I will pay homage to any Plasma over the best LCD TV, I have to say that not all Plasmas are built alike. You do have a nice set but the H5000 is nowhere near 85% of the F8500. The Pentile display alone brings it to under 50% of the F8500. The filters, brightness and color accuracy on the F8500 make it an even much higher-end TV in PQ. Both TV's are in a completely different category.
The pentile screen is a non issue. Completely overblown.
CJayB likes this.
post #9189 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The pentile screen is a non issue. Completely overblown.
Did I say the Pentile display was an "Issue"? I said the Pentile display alone cuts down your overrated 85% to a more realistic 50% when compared to the F8500's display. Far better color accuracy, better daytime viewing, non-reflective. I could go on. The H5000's display is nowhere close to the F8500, no matter how you shake it. The F8500 is a reference display. Overblown? I haven't seen anyone here putting out misinformation about the Pentile display. It does produce a screen door effect but for the average consumer they won't notice it much after sitting a certain amount of feet away, but the H5000 still doesn't produce a picture nearly as good as the F8500, plain and simple. If you're happy with your H5000 then that's great but other than being a "plasma" and sharing some of plasma's common features such as good black level and excellent horizontal viewing angles, that's where the similarities end between it and the F8500's display.
Blue Rain likes this.
post #9190 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen anyone here putting out misinformation about the Pentile display. It does produce a screen door effect but for the average consumer they won't notice it much after sitting a certain amount of feet away.
Exactly. Which is why it isn't an issue, and doesn't get docked to a mere 50% level by comparison

I will concede that the H5000 may be 80% of the F8500, when put side by side and viewed under normal conditions. IE, how you'd actually use the TV daily.

Last edited by Soulburner; 12-06-2014 at 02:09 PM.
post #9191 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The pentile issue only occurs if you sit 6 feet or closer to the screen. I'm sitting about 10-12 feet back and it's not noticeable at all. Just a brilliant stunning image.
post #9192 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Exactly. Which is why it isn't an issue, and doesn't get docked to a mere 50% level by comparison

I will concede that the H5000 may be 80% of the F8500, when put side by side and viewed under normal conditions. IE, how you'd actually use the TV daily.
Glad you've convinced yourself.
post #9193 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Glad you've convinced yourself.
I'm being generous.

Enjoy the F8500.
post #9194 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm being generous.

Enjoy the F8500.
Oh by all means I certainly will. And while you're at it you should find the right forum to post in since this thread is called "F8500 OWNERS Thread". Since you're not one you might want to go find an H5000 thread somewhere else.
post #9195 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Arrow Plasma Newbie

I am getting my first plasma delivered next week (PN64F8500) and had a few questions...
- I keep hearing people refer to 'breaking in' their new tv. Is there a certain process for this?
- I noticed quite a few calibration recommendations for 51 & 60 inch TVs, but not many for the 64 inch version. Does screen size make a difference for settings? Can a fellow 64 inch owner post their favorite settings?
Thanks!
post #9196 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Did I say the Pentile display was an "Issue"? I said the Pentile display alone cuts down your overrated 85% to a more realistic 50% when compared to the F8500's display. Far better color accuracy, better daytime viewing, non-reflective. I could go on. The H5000's display is nowhere close to the F8500, no matter how you shake it. The F8500 is a reference display. Overblown? I haven't seen anyone here putting out misinformation about the Pentile display. It does produce a screen door effect but for the average consumer they won't notice it much after sitting a certain amount of feet away, but the H5000 still doesn't produce a picture nearly as good as the F8500, plain and simple. If you're happy with your H5000 then that's great but other than being a "plasma" and sharing some of plasma's common features such as good black level and excellent horizontal viewing angles, that's where the similarities end between it and the F8500's display.
I'm only familiar with the 64F8500 that I own and a friend's 60F5300B and I would say that in a dark room the F5300 easily gets to 85% of my F8500 for picture quality. From what I've read I would think the H5000 is a bit better than a F5300. The F8500 only pulls away from the F5300 in a bright room. The black level of the H5000 is widely reported to be about the same as the F8500. Pentile is a non issue at anything over 6 or 7 feet.
post #9197 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJayB View Post
I'm only familiar with the 64F8500 that I own and a friend's 60F5300B and I would say that in a dark room the F5300 easily gets to 85% of my F8500 for picture quality. From what I've read I would think the H5000 is a bit better than a F5300. The F8500 only pulls away from the F5300 in a bright room. The black level of the H5000 is widely reported to be about the same as the F8500. Pentile is a non issue at anything over 6 or 7 feet.
Then you didn't read my post at all. I even said the H5000 shares the uniqueness of a Plasma with the F8500 and black levels and horizontal viewing angles was one of them. As much as you may not believe so your F5300 actually has the better display. The H5000 has a Pentile display which is inferior to the display on the F5300.

Well anyone could make up percentages to satisfy their photographic memory but it doesn't change the fact that the F8500 is a reference panel and it won the VE Shootout and color accuracy was just one of the big notations about it. I don't think it would be considered a reference panel and win in multiple categories if was only 15% better than the F5300. Well we can argue semantics but without any factual numbers just saying the F8500 is only 15% better is just your own number.
Blue Rain and KONICA TECH like this.
post #9198 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Gotta Love people trying to justify their weaker set on this tv with bogus percentage claims.

Those other lower end tvs are ok but they are cheaper for a reason.

But keep making yourself feel better by claiming 85 percent....HAHAHA
post #9199 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well, guys, I can now call myself an official owner of this AMAZING TV!!!

Took delivery this afternoon from Video & Audio Center in L.A. and everything went great. There were 2 guys that showed up with the set. They had called about 45 mins prior to getting here saying they were 45 to 60 minutes away and to make sure I was here...of course I was here. Where did they think I'd be? I've been waiting for 8 days, patiently for the set to get here...geez.

Anyway, the two guys got here 45 mins later and were at my door with this huge box at my door step...didn't even know they were out there til my doorbell rang. they brought the beast carefully inside to my den with no problems. I had just taken down the 60" set (with the help of a buddy) that it was going to be replacing just in time for them to unbox, unpack, remove the accessories and then mount the hardware from the other set onto the new one and finally set it up onto the elevated riser/rack. I was a little concerned that the old mounting hardware might not fit the larger set, but it did, no problem.

So the guys plugged in all the cables, then finally the power cable and fired it up. Instantly I new that this set was special, even before getting into the tv settings to do some rudimentary adjustments, i could tell that this set was gonna blow away the 60" LG (PX950) that was moving to the other room. Although the difference in sizes really isn't that much of a change, the picture quality between the two are night and day!

I've been playing with different settings and will continue to try to dial the picture into just the right feel, making sure not to have it on blast mode for the first couple hundred hours of use. I'll also try some of the settings that have been posted in these threads til I find one that works for me.

I've mostly just been watching college football since I turned the tv on while trying different picture settings and working my way thru the cool functions of the set.

I will tell you that I REALLY like the smart remote. I was a little concerned at first, reading that many people didn't really care for it too much because they couldn't operate their set top boxes properly. Well, I'll tell you, my cable box works like a charm with the remote. The cable guide is integrated right through the tv's UI and settings, in a more user friendly and more attractive UI than I was used to with the cable box's guide alone. Also, changing channels is a breeze...another area of concern I was worried about. I had heard that you couldn't input numbers directly with the remote, coz there's no number buttons on it, but what I didn't know is that you can actually, with the touch pad, draw the number sequence input right on the touch screen of the remote. That is so easy peasy, it's ridiculous. you don't even have to be looking at the remote to do this. just draw the number, then press the touch pad to input and the channel changes instantly. I don't know if this function is dependent on certain boxes or what, but it works on mine just great, didn't even need the IR extender connected either...it just works.

So now my biggest challenge was to see how Blu Ray movies (with an Oppo BDP93) would look on this screen. One word review. SHABAM!!! when I put in a disc, that I just watched last night, Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, my jaw almost hit the floor! Compared to my other plasma that I watched on last night, there was no comparison. To be honest, when I watched it last night on my other set, I was a bit dissapointed in the lack of resolution and sharpness that many other movies have displayed on this same set. But when i put it on the Samsung, O! M! G! it was like watching a completely different high resolution movie. I was just blown away with how beautiful this picture can be.

Needless to say, I am more than pleased with this purchase. I feel like I really got a cutting edge display at a reasonable (though still expensive) price that should hopefully last me for several years to come.

I also feel fortunate that I have not heard any out of the ordinary buzzing, no dead pixels, everything seems to be working perfectly well...knocks on wood.

All of you guys who've received your new f8500 sets, congratulations! I now you must be in Resolution Heaven about right now. Those of you expecting delivery soon, expect to be WOW'D! And those of you still on the fence, DO NOT HESITATE! GET ONE NOW! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!

Cheers
Blue Rain, sawzalot, HLdan and 1 others like this.
post #9200 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 28
new firmware version 1204

Smart hub updates bringing features from current models. Looks like we now have a DVDR recording feature and games replacing social media.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141206_205828.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	406282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141206_205900.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	406298  
Blue Rain likes this.
post #9201 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone hooked up a samsung BDH6500 TO A F8500? just received one has anybody set up the BD WISE?It seems to make everything way bright, just looking for some feedback as I'm not done setting it up yet? THANK YOU
post #9202 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLINH View Post
Has anyone hooked up a samsung BDH6500 TO A F8500? just received one has anybody set up the BD WISE?It seems to make everything way bright, just looking for some feedback as I'm not done setting it up yet? THANK YOU
not specifically. I have a d6500 hooked up to a b530 plasma, and made sure the BDwise was off. I don't like the idea of 'automatic' settings. and I can confirm that the picture did not look the same as it did after I calibrated it with a meter.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #9203 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post
Gotta Love people trying to justify their weaker set on this tv with bogus percentage claims.

Those other lower end tvs are ok but they are cheaper for a reason.

But keep making yourself feel better by claiming 85 percent....HAHAHA
in all fairness, 85% seems like it could be a reasonable claim. but I would most certainly consider 15% improvement significant!

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #9204 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I must have looked through dozens of different threads and googled endlessly, but I recently purchased the F8500 and so far the tv is great (besides a little bit of buzz) but I want to see how many hours the tv has on it before I can get it calibrated. But the code for the service menu that I have found works, however I cannot find the option to see the hours that the tv has on it. Does anybody that has this tv know the exact steps to find the amount of hours or the menu that this tv has that info hidden? This is driving me nuts.
post #9205 of 9965 Old 12-06-2014, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Posting in here as a hopeful owner of a 51" F8500. Just had our Best Buy order in the LAST one in the tri-state area (or so I was told :P), and we'll find out tomorrow if it's on our way to us or not (please, please, please).

We just returned a Sony LED TV which was nice... mostly... but the LED technology is so ick. Clouding, flashlighting, etc., and I swear the set we had got worse for the three weeks we had it. It ended up having a brighter blob on the right hand side and a bright spot dead-center of the screen.

If this doesn't go through, we're buying whatever half-decent plasma we can get on Craigslist for cheap and then saving the rest of our pennies for an OLED (and praying that the negatives of the LED/LCD technology don't transfer to OLED).
post #9206 of 9965 Old 12-07-2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
in all fairness, 85% seems like it could be a reasonable claim. but I would most certainly consider 15% improvement significant!
Exactly. It's still the right choice for those that want the best and are willing to pay for it.
post #9207 of 9965 Old 12-07-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgames View Post
If this doesn't go through, we're buying whatever half-decent plasma we can get on Craigslist for cheap and then saving the rest of our pennies for an OLED (and praying that the negatives of the LED/LCD technology don't transfer to OLED).
Doubtful. In terms of how they work, OLED is much closer in relation to plasma than LCD. The issues with LCD screens mostly come from the fact that you need backlighting - liquid crystals don't make their own light.
post #9208 of 9965 Old 12-07-2014, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Looks like I'll have to get my 64F8500 repaired. It's out of warranty and it doesn't always turn on. When it fails to, the red light slowly blinks. I've found that when this happens, the way to get it to turn on is to actually unplug the power cord on the back and plug it back in. Then attempt to power it up. That works immediately about 95% of the time. When it doesn't, a few more attempts does the trick. Anyway, I love the TV so I hope that whatever's wrong with it can be diagnosed correctly and repaired for a reasonable amount of money.

Onkyo TX-NR818
Emotiva XPA-5
Klipsch RF-7II Main Cherry (x2), RC-64II Center Cherry, RF-15 Wide (x2), RS-62II Surround (x2), SW-115 Subwoofer
OPPO BDP-103D
Samsung PN64F8500
post #9209 of 9965 Old 12-07-2014, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally tried out my 64" for the first time. All on standard mode with default settings (burn-in protection on, 5min). Latest Firmware 1204. Built date May 2014

I've been reading some great out of the box impressions but I can't help feel a bit disappointed.

Firstly, I have to clarify that the set was on the floor and not my TV stand, but I have leveled myself to the floor's viewing angle so shouldn't make much difference.

1. First thing I noticed is a slight flicker effect. I'm not sure if this is the dithering effect that I will get used to in a few days. I'm brand new my plasmas, I only have Sony LCDs to compare it with.

2. When I put on a pure white screen, I have noticed 2 thick pink hues running down the centre...I have a similar problem with this on my early gen Samsung SAMOLED phone. It's noticable in white scenes.

Spoiler!

3. 2 dead pixels, obviously not noticable at my 10ft+ viewing distance.

4. Flimsy stand, wobbles back and forth may be an inch when you give the set a light push. I dont know how reviews managed to miss this point. If this is truly better than Samsung's chicken feet for mid-range panels...then that's a real shame.

5. Your typical Samsung build quality. You can literally push down a good few mm by the plastic that surrounds the pop up camera. Ahigh end TV should not have this problem, Samsung or not. Seriously if you want your flagship to compete with Japanese greats like Pioneer and Panasonic...this should've never been acceptable.

6. Light buzz. It's not loud but definitely noticable. I'd rate it just a tad worse than the CRT days...which doesn't completely bother me, but it's definitely not helping with this list. Directional so more pronounced right behind the panel.

The thing is I got it on the discounted price, and this was the one of the last 4 units in my province via Best Buy. It's completely sold out now in BC and likely all of Western Canada's Best Buy. I dont know if Samsung may still have a unit or 5 still sitting at their warehouse.

I want to ask if others are seeing these problems, my biggest issue is the pink bands. I will try breaking the set in, and calibrate myself via Spyder colorimeter. Will either of those help minimize the bands? Has anyone this past few weeks dealt with Samsung's warranty on their 64"? Are they able to replace them if Best Buy cant?

I can sort of live with the other stuff (dead pixels is borderline since im OCD but I'm willing to accept that I can't see it in my regular viewing distance so I might be able to let that slide )

Am I just overreacting because I'm new to plasma? I just read all the glowing out-of-box impressions so I hope my expectation wasn't too high. I'm starting to have second thoughts.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 12-07-2014 at 12:47 AM.
post #9210 of 9965 Old 12-07-2014, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by richierich93 View Post
I must have looked through dozens of different threads and googled endlessly, but I recently purchased the F8500 and so far the tv is great (besides a little bit of buzz) but I want to see how many hours the tv has on it before I can get it calibrated. But the code for the service menu that I have found works, however I cannot find the option to see the hours that the tv has on it. Does anybody that has this tv know the exact steps to find the amount of hours or the menu that this tv has that info hidden? This is driving me nuts.
With the standard IR remote, press 'mute 7 3 7 enter'. A menu will pop up in the upper left corner of the tv. "MRT" shows hours. Turn the tv off to exit the menu.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page