Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 328 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
Whew,

I finally found the one of the 8500 in the 64" screen size. It will be delivered Christmas Eve of all times.

I am excited to say the least.

Will be used in my Theater Room I am setting up, I can also compare it to the 7250 UHD Samsung I have upstairs in the family room.

Got it for 2499.00 and tax

Viper
Where from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2014, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 198
BEST BUY, had one in the store new in box. I just did not have a way to bring home today so they are delivering.

Viper

Current Sets:
Sony XBR65X900B Samsung UN65JS9000 LG 55EC9300
PN64F8500 Plasma SOLD ;(
Old 12-20-2014, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOA View Post
do I just have a bad remote?
Yes, your remote is bad. Probably a stuck finger press...
Old 12-20-2014, 10:31 AM
KOA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsNWarrants View Post
Yes, your remote is bad. Probably a stuck finger press...
The remote works fine in every way except the draining of the batteries. Wouldn't a stuck button show up as a glitch somewhere when using the remote?
Old 12-20-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 254
After some false alarms this is probably the end. BB has them listed as sold out for online orders and Amazon is no longer listing the PN60F8500.

I have my fingers crossed that my PN51F8500 coming Tuesday is not damaged or defective.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
Old 12-20-2014, 10:41 AM
sr

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
BEST BUY, had one in the store new in box. I just did not have a way to bring home today so they are delivering.

Viper
Rent a van. This way you know it won't get abused.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:44 AM
sr

Quote:
The remote works fine in every way except the draining of the batteries. Wouldn't a stuck button show up as a glitch somewhere when using the remote?
Just to make sure your not inserting weak batteries, check the voltage of the batteries under load. In other words, place the voltmeter probes across the terminals while they are still inside the remote.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:55 AM
KOA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'm using new fully charged Eneloops. Also the batteries that came with it. I've changed the batteries about six times already. The other Samsung remote doesn't do this so I was thinking it had something to do with the Bluetooth connection.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
I'm using new fully charged Eneloops. Also the batteries that came with it. I've changed the batteries about six times already. The other Samsung remote doesn't do this so I was thinking it had something to do with the Bluetooth connection.
Give Samsung a call. They will likely send you a replacement remote.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Definitely not normal and Samsung should send you a replacement.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsNWarrants View Post
Nah, just use the scroller if you want to age the phosphors: System -> Screen Burn Protection -> Scrolling. If your room is warm, you might want to set Eco to Medium or Low while running the scroll: System -> Eco Solution -> Eco Sensor - > Energy Saving
Very cool, thank you very much!

I was looking at your Sig and saw those calibration info. Do people recommend doing those ?

Out of the Box, the colors seem ok / pretty vivid when I got from Movie -> Dynamic.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
After some false alarms this is probably the end. BB has them listed as sold out for online orders and Amazon is no longer listing the PN60F8500.

I have my fingers crossed that my PN51F8500 coming Tuesday is not damaged or defective.
My 51 is supposed to be in also on Tuesday. Mine is from BB. Hey, you better not have taken mine, lol.
venus933 likes this.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Saw a little of avatar on tv in HD last night

All there is to say is

WOW

Have to fire up the blu-Ray and try that

This tv amazes me....

So glad I pulled the trigger on this
Old 12-20-2014, 05:06 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniro View Post
Hey,

My 3rd 60" f8500 is coming tomorrow from Amazon.

1st - Came destroyed. Cracked glass, bent frame, corner separated so much that I could see inside the tv from the corner.

2nd - Thought everything was good minus the buzzing, until I saw what looked like a black "blob" at the left edge of the screen. When I took a closer look, it looks like a huge patch of dead pixels. Its like a 8 inch by 5 inch section of what looks like white ants squirming around, when the screen is black. When the screen is white, they are purple.

Manged to order another one which like I said is coming tomorrow. This experience has sucked so far lol. Hoping for the best tomorrow. As for the picture quality....it is amazing. Really amazed at how great things look. Makes my Samsung LCD look bad in comparison. Its on another level. Makes me want to get a working one really bad. I dont want to miss out on this plasma. Cant go back to lcd now, and cant afford a oled tv now. Or maybe I dont want to pay 3k+ for one.

Anyway, I have a question about the black optimizer. I have only watched Amazon prime video and Netflix on my 2nd set while I am waiting on my 3rd one. Are black optimizer settings only available when using a hdmi source? When watching Netflix or Amazon video, it says Auto, and it is greyed out. Is it even actually set as Auto, or is it off when using the smart tv apps?

Thanks
Well, guess me joining the plasma club was not meant to be. Called Amazon to find out if my tv was coming today b/c the shipper never sent an email. Long story short, the tv magically vanished in transit. Amazon called the shipper and they said they never received the tv. Weird since Amazon sent me an email on the 16th saying that it left their warehouse.

They offered me a refund and to pay the difference for a replacement tv if it is more expensive. The Amazon guy asked if i could buy it locally somewhere, or if there was a tv that I was interested in as a replacement. I asked if there as a max price difference and he said they would refund up to $500. I tried to explain the whole plasma vs lcd/led thing, and that the only tv comparable was the 55" Oled LG 1080p tv. He looked it up and said that the max the tv could be is $2130 (which I would pay $1499, the cost of the 60" f8500)...anything more expensive I would have to cover. I tried lol, but upgrading to the LG wasnt happening, which I figured...gave it a shot.

This sucks. No tv $2200 or under can match the quality of this plasma. After having the plasma for a few days, im "spoiled" now. Not sure what to do. I appreciate Amazons offer. More than any other retailer would ever do imo. I told them that I needed to think about what tv I would like to get, so they guy is going to call me on Monday. Im hoping that either a 60" or even better a 64" (since they will pretty much cover the difference, even though its huge for a "bedroom tv") will pop up on Amazon before monday. If not, I have no clue what tv to get. Dont want to spend the money on the LG, and no other lcd seems like it will give me what I want.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
ps: I quicky played a few fps games without game mode or pc rename trick and was surprised to not feel any noticeable lag.....ill have to really focus on it tomorrow
- So I booted Dead Nation on the PS3 and tested for lag. This is the one game I use to test for lag on any display. Pressing R1 fires a weapon and I can really feel and see the delay if there is any.

- Picture mode was Standard. SmartHub was not setup yet. And wifi and all other "features" were disabled. Game mode not enabled.

- Firing a shot seemed fine. If the lag is suppose to be double that of the ST60 ( 60 ms ) then it certainly wasn't noticeable. FWIW when I briefly owned the ST60 last year I could easily see and feel the delay when firing a weapon with game mode enabled

- maybe I'm compensating for the lag but at 120 ms ( twice that of the ST60 ) I was hard-pressed to notice twice the delay of the ST60. But similar to the ST60, the F8500 felt a bit quicker according to memory

- Its hard to notice lag on FPS like Titanfall, Halo 4, Black ops 2.

- when setting up my PS4 and entering in my PSN ID with the onscreen keyboard there was ZERO latency between selecting the letters and the directional pad on the PS4 controller. I was really expecting SOME delay.

Is this a similar story for other new owners? Maybe its a hardware change for the newer 2014 models?

ps: My 64F8500 buzzes like a mofo still *sigh*

Last edited by music_to_my_ear; 12-20-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Well, guess me joining the plasma club was not meant to be. Called Amazon to find out if my tv was coming today b/c the shipper never sent an email. Long story short, the tv magically vanished in transit. Amazon called the shipper and they said they never received the tv. Weird since Amazon sent me an email on the 16th saying that it left their warehouse.

They offered me a refund and to pay the difference for a replacement tv if it is more expensive. The Amazon guy asked if i could buy it locally somewhere, or if there was a tv that I was interested in as a replacement. I asked if there as a max price difference and he said they would refund up to $500. I tried to explain the whole plasma vs lcd/led thing, and that the only tv comparable was the 55" Oled LG 1080p tv. He looked it up and said that the max the tv could be is $2130 (which I would pay $1499, the cost of the 60" f8500)...anything more expensive I would have to cover. I tried lol, but upgrading to the LG wasnt happening, which I figured...gave it a shot.

This sucks. No tv $2200 or under can match the quality of this plasma. After having the plasma for a few days, im "spoiled" now. Not sure what to do. I appreciate Amazons offer. More than any other retailer would ever do imo. I told them that I needed to think about what tv I would like to get, so they guy is going to call me on Monday. Im hoping that either a 60" or even better a 64" (since they will pretty much cover the difference, even though its huge for a "bedroom tv") will pop up on Amazon before monday. If not, I have no clue what tv to get. Dont want to spend the money on the LG, and no other lcd seems like it will give me what I want.
Gosh, that sucks. I actually cancelled my BB order and ordered from Amazon partly because of what just happened to you.

I agree there's not going to be a LCD television that will match the F8500 in PQ but you may want to consider a LCD with a FALD design such as the Vizio M or P series. Many reviewers have griped about an over sharpness bug with the P series but a firmware is currently going out to fix this issue, time will tell it it does. It should be noted most owners of the P series have no ideal what reviewers are talking about with this sharpness bug. I can't really push the Vizio too hard as I prefer the Samsung H6350 over the Vizio M50 because it has better color performance and picture video processing and the superior effective contrast of the M series couldn't make up the difference but you may feel differently.

Another possibility may be the H8000 or last year's F8000 as they have a hardware based local dimming scheme. The H8000 is the only Samsung 1080p display this year to have this hardware based dimming scheme but it's curved so that's why I mentioned the F8000 from last year. Just trying to help with my suggestions and don't mean to push a television towards you. I guess if what happens to you happens to me I would look into the UN48H800 (for you perhaps the UN55H800) despite being curved as it would fall within the $500 margin.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer

Last edited by venus933; 12-20-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
My 60" april 2013 build decides to shut it self off occasionally. It seems to be when im download a lot and trying to stream and do things that use bandwidth. My tv tries to load things and it buffers, hangs up then turns off. I turn it back on and its fine. Im not really worried, just curious if anyone else has this problem.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTerminator View Post
My 60" april 2013 build decides to shut it self off occasionally. It seems to be when im download a lot and trying to stream and do things that use bandwidth. My tv tries to load things and it buffers, hangs up then turns off. I turn it back on and its fine. Im not really worried, just curious if anyone else has this problem.
That doesn't surprise me. I don't use the apps, but that does make sense if the app hangs because of streaming issues, it causes the tv to basically reboot by turning itself off.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
The smaller smart remote that came with the TV only lasts about two days before the batteries die. Is there some setting somewhere that can be turned off or something or do I just have a bad remote?
Yes your smart remote is bad.
I had this exact same problem!!
Originally the batteries would only last about a week, then progressed to only two days.
I called Samsung (canada) service, sent them the requested info, next day they called me to say the mater was being taken care of and about two weeks later got a new (smart) remote, which has been perfect!

Last edited by Tiki Steve; 12-20-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
Date manufactured: 30NOV14. Last day?
My 60F8500 is a Nov 30th build too. That is the most-recent build date I have heard of. I ordered it on 12/9 and got it delivered on 12/13.

I have 60 hours on it so far... 80% of that is full screen 1080p movies and youtube demos, and 20% is regular TV. I'm being careful with static logos and banners (like the NFL game tonight).

This tv is replacing a Pioneer Elite 1130HD plasma so the bar was already set high.

Some observations:
- Zero IR, no bad pixels, no blemishes on the screen or frame that I can find. The stand has a tiny nick in an area you can't see. I plan to put it on the wall anyway.
- The only buzz I have heard is when I turn it on cold after being off overnight, and put my head near the center of the screen. It is very faint and doesn't register on my spl meter. After a minute it is gone and no one else in the house can hear anything at all.
- After 30-40 hours everything improved as many of you have noted. I am looking forward to even more improvement as I rack up more hours.
- Wifi card seemed a little flaky. It is close to my router and dropped the connection several times the first day. All other wifi devices in the house are fine. I read in this thread that others have similar issues. I hardwired it on day 2 and don't plan to ever use wifi again so I don't care.
- Processor is snappy, apps and menus all respond very well. Remotes both work fine, using a Harmony most of the time.
- 3D works well, included glasses work well, the extra brightness makes it a good experience. Still not a big 3D fan though.
- It is NOT a space heater like my Pio plasma. I could feel heat 4 feet away from the old Pio panel.

This was a great purchase and this will definitely get me by for a few years. Thanks to you all for the good info in this huge thread.

Last edited by highcurrent; 12-20-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:55 PM
sr

Thumbs up

Quote:

I experienced this same lost TV scenario when the Panasonic ZT plasma was a hot commodity. Amazon could not identify where the TV was in the shipping process. Then like magic, I received a call that the TV arrived in the local warehouse and the shipper wanted to arrange for a delivery date. So don't give up total hope yet. Let Amazon know that you DO NOT want them to cancel the order. I waited about three weeks as it apparently was being shipped from California and I live in New York. Hope there still a miracle waiting to happen for you in time for Christmas!
venus933 likes this.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
My smart remote started draining its batteries also. I'd put new lithium batteries in the remote, and they would be dead in under a week. Happened three times before I decided to not use it anymore. One other person reported abnormal battery drain on the smart remote also, so yours is not an isolated case. Something is going on. When I first got my tv, I didn't have to replace the batteries in the smart remote for almost a year. Since that battery change, the remote drains the batteries at alarming rates.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki Steve View Post
Yes your smart remote is bad.
I had this exact same problem!!
Originally the batteries would only last about a week, then progressed to only two days.
I called Samsung (canada) service, sent them the requested info, next day they called me to say the mater was being taken care of and about two weeks later got a new (smart) remote, which has been perfect!
Thanks for the info. I will call Samsung next week.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Just ordered another F8500. 51" for the kids bedroom. I didn't want to let the opportunity get away this time. I've been putting off getting an extra F8500 for 2 months. Couldn't let another month go by, especially since the 65" OLED never came out. 60" will stay in master bedroom, for now. I'm thinking about switching out LHX from living room to bedroom. Heck, I don't know. I just love televisions. I do know that I will be breaking in the 51" in my bedroom since I have the room.

Samsung 60F8500
Samsung 51F8500
LG 55LHX
LG BH200
OPPO 103D
2 PS3's
Old 12-20-2014, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Display Model 60" F8500

Hey all,

I just managed to score a display model F8500 (60") for a really killer price. Apparently it may be the last one in the country! (I'm in New Zealand). I'll have it in a few days time and I have a few questions for you all of you seasoned F8500 experts!

-I've been informed that this particular TV has been in the store for about a year and a half, so I'd say it was manufactured pretty early as far as F8500's go. I've also been told that it has had a mixture of full 16:9 and 2:35:1 material displayed on it. It has been on in the store most days for the time it's been on display, and everything has been moving pictures with no static logos. Apparently a Samsung demo blu-ray has been displayed a bit, as well as a LOT of the Frozen blu-ray... I'm not so worried about the overall hours this thing has racked up (maybe 4,000 hours tops), but if A LOT of the content has been 2:35:1, could I potentially have issues with the way the phosphors in the middle of the screen have aged when compared to the phosphors at the top and bottom of the screen where nothing has been displayed for lots of the time? And if that is a potential problem, would that issue fix itself over time?

-Where is the best information about the best settings to use, user calibration options, etc? My kids will be watching it a fair bit during the day, and in the evenings I'll be watching plenty of HD TV/Movies in a pretty dimly lit room, so I imagine I'll need a couple of profiles set up.

-What's the story with firmware versions and floating black issues? This TV may actually still be running a really early version of the firmware; what's the "best" version of the FW for picture quality? Or should I just update to the latest version? Picture Quality is all I really care about. Smart TV features are not particularly important.

-Anything else you guys would suggest checking/testing when it arrives?

If there are any problems I'll be able to return it to a local retailer for a full refund. I'm upgrading from a 60" Panasonic S60; hopefully it's a nice step up from what I currently have! Thanks in advance for the help :-)

Cheers,

Kris
Old 12-20-2014, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
i think i just got super lucky! the 64" f8500 seemed to be sold out everywhere that was selling it for $2499 and only available from online resellers for $3500+, but i just called my local sears and they had one brand new left in stock! it's weird because online on their website it said not available at any location near me, but thank god i called! the icing on the cake: i asked them to hold it until tomorrow but they really needed a sale tonight so they offered to give me 10% ($250) off if i purchased today! which i did! got it for $2380 after tax! i was heartbroken when i saw that it was sold out at best buy earlier and didn't wanna pay $3500 so i was going to buy a h5000, but man am i glad to own this beauty, the last of the best!

my only question: should i update the firmware or not? does it fix the floating black problem? i ask because i've heard that it reduces the brightness of the set so i'm not sure if it's a good idea to update or not.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Gosh, that sucks. I actually cancelled my BB order and ordered from Amazon partly because of what just happened to you.

I agree there's not going to be a LCD television that will match the F8500 in PQ but you may want to consider a LCD with a FALD design such as the Vizio M or P series. Many reviewers have griped about an over sharpness bug with the P series but a firmware is currently going out to fix this issue, time will tell it it does. It should be noted most owners of the P series have no ideal what reviewers are talking about with this sharpness bug. I can't really push the Vizio too hard as I preferred the Samsung H6350 over the Vizio M50 because it has better color performance and picture video processing and the superior effective contrast of the M series couldn't make up the difference but you may feel differently.

Another possibility may be the H8000 or last year's F8000 as they have a hardware based local dimming scheme. The H8000 is the only Samsung 1080p display this year to have this hardware based dimming scheme but it's curved so that's why I mentioned the F8000 from last year. Just trying to help with my suggestions and don't mean to push a television towards you. I guess if what happens to you happens to me I would look into the UN48H800 (for you perhaps the UN55H800) despite being curved as it would fall within the $500 margin.
Thanks. I appreciate the suggestions. I have looked at the Vizio models. The reviews seem just "ok". Not sure if I would be satisfied with one. Need to do some more research.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am really enjoying my 64" set as well but I am having to issues with the smart TV set.

1) I have set a new home screen from the browser application "WebBrowser" (its hosted on my PC to show a Foscam camera stream for my babies) - but the screen doesn't load unless I click "refresh" on it, is there a way to automatically load it once browser starts?

2) You Tube App doesn't save my login info and I have to re login every time I open the app, does it happen to you as well?

3) how can you configure the set to access apps of a different region from where you leave?
Old 12-20-2014, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknight612 View Post
i think i just got super lucky! the 64" f8500 seemed to be sold out everywhere that was selling it for $2499 and only available from online resellers for $3500+, but i just called my local sears and they had one brand new left in stock! it's weird because online on their website it said not available at any location near me, but thank god i called! the icing on the cake: i asked them to hold it until tomorrow but they really needed a sale tonight so they offered to give me 10% ($250) off if i purchased today! which i did! got it for $2380 after tax! i was heartbroken when i saw that it was sold out at best buy earlier and didn't wanna pay $3500 so i was going to buy a h5000, but man am i glad to own this beauty, the last of the best!

my only question: should i update the firmware or not? does it fix the floating black problem? i ask because i've heard that it reduces the brightness of the set so i'm not sure if it's a good idea to update or not.
Congrats on the new TV. Dont worry about the newest FW messing up the brightness or cause floating blacks. If the FW number is earlier than 1114 then you should update, as 1114 fixed the rising black levels when using Cinema smooth. I bought my tv last January, and it had version 1113 and 1114 fixed many issues. I didnt notice any improvements or degredations with later updates. If you plan to use the smart apps, then you should update.
venus933 likes this.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofird View Post
I am really enjoying my 64" set as well but I am having to issues with the smart TV set.

1) I have set a new home screen from the browser application "WebBrowser" (its hosted on my PC to show a Foscam camera stream for my babies) - but the screen doesn't load unless I click "refresh" on it, is there a way to automatically load it once browser starts?

2) You Tube App doesn't save my login info and I have to re login every time I open the app, does it happen to you as well?

3) how can you configure the set to access apps of a different region from where you leave?
#2 was fixed with update to FW 1118

Another question though is about Casting - Is there a way to quickly cast your android screen without having to go into the menu of the TV each time and making it available to casting?

Why isn't it always Casting ready???

It should be a simple process without entering the menu each time, don't you think?

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv