Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 329 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #9841 of 9864 Old Today, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofird View Post
I am really enjoying my 64" set as well but I am having to issues with the smart TV set.

1) I have set a new home screen from the browser application "WebBrowser" (its hosted on my PC to show a Foscam camera stream for my babies) - but the screen doesn't load unless I click "refresh" on it, is there a way to automatically load it once browser starts?

2) You Tube App doesn't save my login info and I have to re login every time I open the app, does it happen to you as well?

3) how can you configure the set to access apps of a different region from where you leave?
#2 was fixed with update to FW 1118

Another question though is about Casting - Is there a way to quickly cast your android screen without having to go into the menu of the TV each time and making it available to casting?

Why isn't it always Casting ready???

It should be a simple process without entering the menu each time, don't you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9842 of 9864 Old Today, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:

Another question though is about Casting - Is there a way to quickly cast your android screen without having to go into the menu of the TV each time and making it available to casting?

It should be a simple process without entering the menu each time, don't you think?
Are you talking about the screen mirror option. I do not go into the menu to do this but click on the source button and choose screen mirroring. Not sure if that is what you mean by going into the menu.

I usually do not use this anyway as I mostly stream movies to the TV from my Nexus phone so I use the app BubbleUpnP which does a great job of this. I also use iMediaShare.
post #9843 of 9864 Old Today, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Congrats on the new TV. Dont worry about the newest FW messing up the brightness or cause floating blacks. If the FW number is earlier than 1114 then you should update, as 1114 fixed the rising black levels when using Cinema smooth. I bought my tv last January, and it had version 1113 and 1114 fixed many issues. I didnt notice any improvements or degredations with later updates. If you plan to use the smart apps, then you should update.
thank you. i am absolutely loving this tv! i "upgraded" from a pioneer pro-111fd, so my expectations were already very high, and this samsung does not disappoint. proud to be the owner of the best from both brands!
EscapeVelocity likes this.
post #9844 of 9864 Old Today, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknight612 View Post
but i just called my local sears and they had one brand new left in stock! it's weird because online on their website it said not available at any location near me, but thank god i called!
Many web sites, particularly Sears, are horrible about store stock.

More recently bestbuy.com insisted a wall mount I wanted was sold out chain-wide but my local store had two new-in-box on the sales floor.
post #9845 of 9864 Old Today, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So just to follow up on the slow pixel response here is picture of some of the magenta pixels I am seeing while watching Netflix. I haven't watched more than 30 minutes on the tv so far so I am playing a bunch of Netflix movies hoping it will work itself out. These definitely are not bad pixels as everything looked fine when watching a quick youtube pixel test. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1419183660964.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	433761   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1419184079534.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	433825  

Last edited by ppilot; Today at 11:01 AM.
post #9846 of 9864 Old Today, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
These are really scaring me from joining the plasma HDTV club.
post #9847 of 9864 Old Today, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppilot View Post
So just to follow up on the slow pixel response here is picture of some of the magenta pixels I am seeing while watching Netflix. I haven't watched more than 30 minutes on the tv so far so I am playing a bunch of Netflix movies hoping it will work itself out. These definitely are not bad pixels as everything looked fine when watching a quick youtube pixel test. Any thoughts?
That does not look good. Not normal for sure. Better call Samsung Support ASAP.
post #9848 of 9864 Old Today, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Quote:
ps: I quicky played a few fps games without game mode or pc rename trick and was surprised to not feel any noticeable lag.....ill have to really focus on it tomorrow
- So I booted Dead Nation on the PS3 and tested for lag. This is the one game I use to test for lag on any display. Pressing R1 fires a weapon and I can really feel and see the delay if there is any.

- Picture mode was Standard. SmartHub was not setup yet. And wifi and all other "features" were disabled. Game mode not enabled.

- Firing a shot seemed fine. If the lag is suppose to be double that of the ST60 ( 60 ms ) then it certainly wasn't noticeable. FWIW when I briefly owned the ST60 last year I could easily see and feel the delay when firing a weapon with game mode enabled

- maybe I'm compensating for the lag but at 120 ms ( twice that of the ST60 ) I was hard-pressed to notice twice the delay of the ST60. But similar to the ST60, the F8500 felt a bit quicker according to memory

- Its hard to notice lag on FPS like Titanfall, Halo 4, Black ops 2.

- when setting up my PS4 and entering in my PSN ID with the onscreen keyboard there was ZERO latency between selecting the letters and the directional pad on the PS4 controller. I was really expecting SOME delay.

Is this a similar story for other new owners? Maybe its a hardware change for the newer 2014 models?

ps: My 64F8500 buzzes like a mofo still *sigh*
On our ps4 there is no lag at all when playing Far Cry 4.

Out 60 " is new and Only 9 days old. Running the latest software update, which if I remember correctly is 12.04 .

The PS4 is on HDMI 3.

Last edited by Blue Rain; Today at 11:55 AM.
post #9849 of 9864 Old Today, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Received my 2nd 60" from Amazon yesterdayy.

I didn't let them set it up due to cold weather, but I had them take top off so I could inspect screen and to make sure everyrhing else was intact .

Everything looked good.

We didn't have time to set it up yesterday, busy shopping for Christmas.

Going to set it up today and check for buzzing or anything else out if the ordinary.
post #9850 of 9864 Old Today, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Can you hook up another source to tv to check such as dvd/blu ray or cable box? It could very well be streaming issues.
post #9851 of 9864 Old Today, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Adding 2nd IR Blaster

Hi, I want to add another IR blaster to my 8500. The cabinet below the TV has the FiOS box and a Samsung BD Player on one side, and a Sony AVR on the other. I use the included IR Blaster on the side with the FiOS and BDP and the included remote does a great job controlling both. The other side with the Sony AVR can do some things via CEC, but not everything. How would I add another IR Blaster for the other side? Not that familiar with them, but I assume the TV is the IR receiver and it just repeats out the connected blaster. Is it as simple as using a Y splitter and another blaster?

Thanks
post #9852 of 9864 Old Today, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by houman View Post
I was looking at your Sig and saw those calibration info. Do people recommend doing those ?
If you're referring to the web page RecommendedSettings.html then the shpankey settings (In Use) worked best for me when Color tone was Warm 1 and Color space was Auto.

NOTE that if you have installed an Evolution Kit ("Evo") the sharpness is completely different than without, and I don't know if any other settings are affected. In other words, if you have an Evo, all bets are off.

I had a blue push I couldn't correct, so I had D-Nice calibrate my set. The major changes he made were to Color tone Warm 2 and Color space Custom with the 2-point and 10-point (the latter corrected my blue push) adjusted. What I'm saying is that this TV is worth the money to have professionally calibrated.

That page's value is really in the consistency of the calibrated values, so think before you plug 'em in.
post #9853 of 9864 Old Today, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Three times yesterday, the voice control prompt came up, with no input from me, cat wasn't near the remote etc. I ended up going into the menu to disable voice recognition.

Close to 40 hours, buzz is still bad, beginning to learn more of its quirks; it is much louder with one ear pointed at the panel than looking at it squarely.
post #9854 of 9864 Unread Today, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am a new owner of a PN60F8500. I am kind of confused on about 3D watching. Can someone give me a link or tips for setting up for a 3D movie?

I wanted to try the settings from here, but don’t know where to apply them:
http://www.tweaktv.com/images/storie...%203-23-13.pdf

Do I need to configure one of the four picture modes for just 3D watching? I don’t see anything under Picture/3D that would let me apply the above referenced settings.
post #9855 of 9864 Unread Today, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
1. How do I control my Patriot Box Office media player with the samsung touch remote?

The media player is hooked up to the soundbar's HDMI 5, then the soundbar is hooked up to the TV via the TV's HDMI 1( which supports ARC).

I had already setup the soundbar under home theatre setting and it works, but can I control my media player which is hooked up to this soundbar?

2. I get audio for my media player (HDMI 5 on soundbar), but not audio from the TV (ie apps like youtube (HDMI 6-ARC). Digital setting on TV is set to PCM (audio delay set to 0). I tried setting to DTS:25 but no difference. My soundbar manual says to set it to Dolby Digital (greyed out and unselectable) or Bitstream (not available)

3. regarding 3D, do you have to pair the glasses each time or that's just an initial setup?

4. Input lag reduction (renaming input to PC trick), is that HDMI on 1 STB or HDMI DVI?

Last edited by twitchyzero; Today at 05:47 PM.
post #9856 of 9864 Unread Today, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
PN51F85oo remote

Never having a Smart TV before, I am having a difficult time trying to set up my remote . Is there a link to a place where I can read up on using this thing (not the one with the mouse like pad)? I have my internet connected directly to the TV but the sound is through my Denon AVR. I can connect to places like Netflix and get the picture but no sound. I do not know where to engage the speakers. They work fine for television broadcasts. Also, how to remove an app from the smart area would help.
Thanks for any suggestions.
post #9857 of 9864 Unread Today, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Quote:
Can you hook up another source to tv to check such as dvd/blu ray or cable box? It could very well be streaming issues.
Have confirmed the weird magenta pixel issue isn't limited to Netflix as there was a considerable flare up of the issue when I was browsing the user guide and when HBO Go started. Called Samsung and they will be setting up an appointment for
This week or next. Good thing is that I have until January 31st to return the TV to Amazon.
post #9858 of 9864 Unread Today, 06:20 PM

Liked: 11
Thank you instock.net...was able to pounce on the 60 inch that just went on sale at Amazon....delivered Dec 31.

Nowbi can return this vizio e700i-b3. Love the size but crap picture.. Especially motion in sports.
Blue Rain likes this.
post #9859 of 9864 Unread Today, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

You can hit source button on remote and choose screen mirror
post #9860 of 9864 Unread Today, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
- So I booted Dead Nation on the PS3 and tested for lag. This is the one game I use to test for lag on any display. Pressing R1 fires a weapon and I can really feel and see the delay if there is any.

- Picture mode was Standard. SmartHub was not setup yet. And wifi and all other "features" were disabled. Game mode not enabled.

Out of curiosity, what are your inputs named? For example, my HDMI 1 is AT&T, HDMI 2/DVI is PC, HDMI 3 is Samsung, and HDMI 4 is Game. HDMI 2 is my PS3, I just named it PC right off the bat, I have no noticeable lag while playing Rocksmith 2014. (The previous edition was unplayable in my opinion, due to lag.) HDMI 3 (Samsung) is my sound bar. HDMI 4 (Game) is my PS 4; also no noticeable lag in anything (GTA V recently). And yes, thank you everyone, I know I should hook my sound bar up via optical; but I have head phones hooked up to the optical to watch late night movies without disturbing anyone. Thanks!

outgrabe
post #9861 of 9864 Unread Today, 08:52 PM

Liked: 2
The Pinball Arcade is a great game to test lag with.
post #9862 of 9864 Unread Today, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTerminator View Post
My 60" april 2013 build decides to shut it self off occasionally. It seems to be when im download a lot and trying to stream and do things that use bandwidth. My tv tries to load things and it buffers, hangs up then turns off. I turn it back on and its fine. Im not really worried, just curious if anyone else has this problem.
i never use the apps, but at least once or twice every time i do a calibration the menu will 'freeze' and then either restart on its own, or i have to turn it off, wait several seconds(the red status light won't come on for a while) and then turn it on again.

it's done this for as long as i've been playing with settings for hours on end, haha. it never happens with my normal use of turning it on, letting it display whatever my avr sends it, and then turning it off. but at least once i've been watching for a while, and decided to try changing something and the menu had already 'frozen up', i couldn't get anything to work except to turn it off and back on again.

for me, as a display, it's top notch and very reliable. as a 'hub' to access other things, it seems pretty buggy.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #9863 of 9864 Unread Today, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknight612 View Post
i think i just got super lucky! the 64" f8500 seemed to be sold out everywhere that was selling it for $2499 and only available from online resellers for $3500+, but i just called my local sears and they had one brand new left in stock! it's weird because online on their website it said not available at any location near me, but thank god i called! the icing on the cake: i asked them to hold it until tomorrow but they really needed a sale tonight so they offered to give me 10% ($250) off if i purchased today! which i did! got it for $2380 after tax! i was heartbroken when i saw that it was sold out at best buy earlier and didn't wanna pay $3500 so i was going to buy a h5000, but man am i glad to own this beauty, the last of the best!

my only question: should i update the firmware or not? does it fix the floating black problem? i ask because i've heard that it reduces the brightness of the set so i'm not sure if it's a good idea to update or not.
unless you're fw is 1006 or previous, you're already way beyond all of that. i'm pretty sure 1007 or 1008 was when the 'brightness pops' got fixed. the actual floating blacks will never be fixed, it's inherent in the way samsung drives the panel. the change in brightness, if a real thing, must have occured prior to 1006. that was what mine came with in may 2013, and it hasn't changed at all since then

post #9864 of 9864 Unread Today, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
this looks EXACTLY like the problem you can create if you turn down the voltages on the Vs and Vscan too much(there's a mod to do this to improve black levels).

i did this with mine, and originally saw no issues at min voltages, and a huge improvement in black level. since putting my tv back together i noticed the magenta pixels occuring under very specific circumstances, usually in the top half inch of the screen.

the worst, is if i open up a black webpage and have just the tiny white tab on my browser at the top, the little white tab ends up being half magenta.

otherwise, if i'm very close i can sometimes see it in bright areas during high contrast scenes. a full white screen won't show it, it has to be something with a lot of dark content, and then really bright areas. and in the bright areas i'll see it. it basically does not occur at all with video for me.

anyway, point is, if you can get a tech out to adjust the voltages, it could probably be fixed. or if you want to yourself, check out the thread on improving samsung MLL with voltage tweaks. the last 5 or so pages talk about doing it with the f8500. be warned though, i have no idea what turning up the voltage too high can do. i 'think' the range you have access to is pretty safe, but i'm not a tech and i will not take responsibility.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page