Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 330 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #9871 of 9884 Unread Today, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 72
White is an equal balance of all colors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9872 of 9884 Unread Today, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post
But don't you need to break in the colors also?
uh, I believe white turns on all three sub pixels (red, green, blue). the graying gradient to black dims all colors equally until they're off....repeat
post #9873 of 9884 Unread Today, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post
But don't you need to break in the colors also?
No. The black to white in grey scale goes from the complete absense of color to the maximum of all (well, RGB) colors, so scroll DOES break in the colors.
wxman likes this.
post #9874 of 9884 Unread Today, 12:44 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_n_z View Post
Hey all,

I just managed to score a display model F8500 (60") for a really killer price. Apparently it may be the last one in the country! (I'm in New Zealand). I'll have it in a few days time and I have a few questions for you all of you seasoned F8500 experts!

-I've been informed that this particular TV has been in the store for about a year and a half, so I'd say it was manufactured pretty early as far as F8500's go. I've also been told that it has had a mixture of full 16:9 and 2:35:1 material displayed on it. It has been on in the store most days for the time it's been on display, and everything has been moving pictures with no static logos. Apparently a Samsung demo blu-ray has been displayed a bit, as well as a LOT of the Frozen blu-ray... I'm not so worried about the overall hours this thing has racked up (maybe 4,000 hours tops), but if A LOT of the content has been 2:35:1, could I potentially have issues with the way the phosphors in the middle of the screen have aged when compared to the phosphors at the top and bottom of the screen where nothing has been displayed for lots of the time? And if that is a potential problem, would that issue fix itself over time?

-Where is the best information about the best settings to use, user calibration options, etc? My kids will be watching it a fair bit during the day, and in the evenings I'll be watching plenty of HD TV/Movies in a pretty dimly lit room, so I imagine I'll need a couple of profiles set up.

-What's the story with firmware versions and floating black issues? This TV may actually still be running a really early version of the firmware; what's the "best" version of the FW for picture quality? Or should I just update to the latest version? Picture Quality is all I really care about. Smart TV features are not particularly important.

-Anything else you guys would suggest checking/testing when it arrives?

If there are any problems I'll be able to return it to a local retailer for a full refund. I'm upgrading from a 60" Panasonic S60; hopefully it's a nice step up from what I currently have! Thanks in advance for the help :-)

Cheers,

Kris
Bump. Any thoughts from any F8500 owners/Plasma veterans?
post #9875 of 9884 Unread Today, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Does anyone know which calibration settings to use for the F8500? CNet has theirs, Sound and Vision has theirs along with a few other one sites.
Which one is the best to use?
post #9876 of 9884 Unread Today, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
Does anyone know which calibration settings to use for the F8500? CNet has theirs, Sound and Vision has theirs along with a few other one sites.
Every tv is different. What looks good on one tv, may look horrible on another. Other than getting your tv professionally calibrated, you can try plugging the settings in from those sites or from the settings page on this forum and see how they look, or get the Disney WOW or Spears and Munsil disc and adjust the basic settings. If using the discs, use movie mode on your tv and set to Warm1.

F8500 Recommended Settings Thread.....
post #9877 of 9884 Unread Today, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would just like to double check with you guys make sure there's no problems with having my 60" plugged into my Panamax M5300-PM??
post #9878 of 9884 Unread Today, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoexxl View Post
I would just like to double check with you guys make sure there's no problems with having my 60" plugged into my Panamax M5300-PM??
Should be fine? I'm planning on getting something like this to reduce the buzz on my set. Buzz has definitely improved, but I do notice that when there's a drop in power level, the buzz is much worse.
post #9879 of 9884 Unread Today, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tsbnoup...PN64F8500.html

64" in stock ready to ship..............

Viper
post #9880 of 9884 Unread Today, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
calibration, by definition, really can only be done for an individual tv in specific viewing conditions. if you change either, it's no longer 'calibrated', thought it may be close enough, and still an improvement from factory settings.

that being said, i would advise not to try plugging in another members specific calibration as they may be fixing errors you don't have. which means those settings would be creating errors. instead, plug in some basic settings. that way there's less chance of you doing something that makes anything worse. after you're comfortable with those settings, if you want to try somebodies calibration, at least now you have a good reference point to base it off of.

for example, here's settings i would advise to start with: F8500 Recommended Settings Thread.....

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #9881 of 9884 Unread Today, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
grab the newest fw. there's pretty much 0% chance your fw is old enough to even MAYBE be better. i don't believe it's been confirmed that fw has ever decreased picture quality. it HAS been confirmed to fix some issues, and it HAS been confirmed to not affect picture quality/settings for at least the last half dozen of so updates.

i believe you'd have to go back older than may 2013 fw(1007?) before you'd run into fw that 'may' have allowed for a brighter image. i bought mine in may, and the fw has not changed picture quality on mine at all. it's only updated smart features, and fixed some glitches.

post #9882 of 9884 Unread Today, 06:23 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
Quote:
grab the newest fw. there's pretty much 0% chance your fw is old enough to even MAYBE be better. i don't believe it's been confirmed that fw has ever decreased picture quality. it HAS been confirmed to fix some issues, and it HAS been confirmed to not affect picture quality/settings for at least the last half dozen of so updates.

i believe you'd have to go back older than may 2013 fw(1007?) before you'd run into fw that 'may' have allowed for a brighter image. i bought mine in may, and the fw has not changed picture quality on mine at all. it's only updated smart features, and fixed some glitches.
Cheers for that, appreciate the feedback!

Any thoughts on how to test the screen generally to make sure it's in good working order? As I mentioned it's been a display model for 18 months and if I return it I'd need to do so within a pretty short space of time after receiving it.
post #9883 of 9884 Unread Today, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Cheers for that, appreciate the feedback!

Any thoughts on how to test the screen generally to make sure it's in good working order? As I mentioned it's been a display model for 18 months and if I return it I'd need to do so within a pretty short space of time after receiving it.
i'm not sure if there's anything particular about the f8500 you need to look for. i'd just do the basic stuff to check for IR or dead pixels.

throw up some solid white, red, blue, green slides and see if anything pops out at you.

post #9884 of 9884 Unread Today, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have a Pioneer 5070HD plasma that's a bit old now but still working good. This TV is in the bedroom on the wall and is viewed from about 30 degrees off axis, so the off-axis viewing benefits of a plasma is important. In any event, I've been thinking it might be time to upgrade the bedroom TV and saw the 50" F8500 for $999. But, I'm uncertain how much better the PQ will be if I went to the F8500. This TV location sees mostly DirecTV feeds and very little blu ray. Admittedly, I have not had time to keep up on the F8500 or ready the entire thread (very sorry) but recall some comments in other threads about audible plasma noise???? Is that a real issue? Are there other issues to consider?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page