Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 332 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)

Plasma Flat Panel Displays

venus933's Avatar venus933
12:24 PM Liked: 214
post #9931 of 9950
Yesterday | Posts: 1,215
My PN51F8500 was delivered Monday (a day early) and has a November 2014 Build date.

I have the A version and full whites have a slight pink push which I don't remember from my earlier PN51F8500 which was a B version. Other than that every thing seems A-OK, just the normal buzz hum which is only heard when head is tilted and it's quite unobtrusive. Overall PQ is spectacular and I'm amazed with how good SD looks on it.
hairy48's Avatar hairy48
12:25 PM Liked: 10
post #9932 of 9950
Yesterday | Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
What is the bias light setting on the 8500?
It's not a setting on the 8500. A bias light illuminates the surrounding wall(s), slightly constricting your pupils to less than wide open in a dark room. It is positioned behind the set usually between it and the wall.
sr's Avatar sr
12:56 PM Liked: 23
post #9933 of 9950
Yesterday | Posts: 320
After reading about bias lighting, I installed it on my TV and love it. No more reflections from light sources in front of the panel and it shows off the TV! I even have a dimmer on the light so when its daylight I turn it down and at night I bring it up to a comfortable level.
twitchyzero's Avatar twitchyzero
02:03 PM Liked: 10
post #9934 of 9950
Yesterday | Posts: 50
Can someone confirm which port the PC renaming trick actually works? Is it strictly HDMI 2 DVI? Is it true it resets its effect when you restart the TV?

Also, is it normal for mkv files on the Smart TV to take a full minute? We're talking a full minute or two for x264/DD5.1 1080p ~15Mbps blu-ray rips...yet 720p mkvs loads instantly
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt
03:51 PM Liked: 1073
post #9935 of 9950
Yesterday | Posts: 4,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Can someone confirm which port the PC renaming trick actually works? Is it strictly HDMI 2 DVI? Is it true it resets its effect when you restart the TV?

Also, is it normal for mkv files on the Smart TV to take a full minute? We're talking a full minute or two for x264/DD5.1 1080p ~15Mbps blu-ray rips...yet 720p mkvs loads instantly
it works on all of them, and it does not reset
tomnan24's Avatar tomnan24
04:32 PM Liked: 18
post #9936 of 9950
Yesterday | Posts: 615
I received my 51" yesterday. Almost everything has gone really smoothly so far, except:

This is my first smart tv. Whenever I have hooked up netflix to my tv before it has always been connecting my computer via hdmi. I had no trouble connecting to network wirelessly and internet during setup of my F8500. Since then, though, the tv keeps telling me I'm either not connected to the network or not connected to the internet. When I do get connected and watch Netflix it doesn't stay connected for long.

I have a 20 mbps connection about 30 ft from my tv. My computer and smartphone work from much farther than that. In fact, I can watch netflix from my smartphone at the same time that the tv says I'm no longer connected.

Is this unusual with smart tv's? Is there anything I can do?
04:45 PM Liked: 18
post #9937 of 9950
Yesterday | Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I was wondering what panel is used on the 51F8500, particularly the recent builds. I have a 51E7000 that has a TS02 panel and outstanding picture. Just wondering about the F8500.
My 51" is a uw01. I've heard of one other that was a uw01 and one that was a ts01.

I tried to read up on them but little is said about the panel lottery outside of LCD.
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt
05:22 PM Liked: 1073
post #9938 of 9950
Yesterday | Posts: 4,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post
My 51" is a uw01. I've heard of one other that was a uw01 and one that was a ts01.

I tried to read up on them but little is said about the panel lottery outside of LCD.
that's because it's not a 'lottery' like it is with lcd's. there's only one place that makes them, and they don't make different ones at the same time. so IF they change, it's a change with all of them made after that date.

it does appear as though something was tweaked to improve black levels in the 2014 f8500's, this is likely that different panel. but it's still not a 'lottery' in the same sense as with lcd's, because there's only one plant making them. if we found out the date they switched, the build date would tell you enough.

anyway, to help shed some light, cause i don't think this has been investigate too much, here's the stick from the back of mine:
INSIDE

OUTSIDE

asere's Avatar asere
05:37 PM Liked: 26
post #9939 of 9950
Yesterday | Posts: 958
Mine says 11/14 for manufacturer date.
TheeeGod's Avatar TheeeGod
06:50 PM Liked: 13
post #9940 of 9950
Yesterday | Posts: 68
hey guys - officially checking into the F8500 owners thread! Got a 64" bad-boy a few days back, dialed in settings as per Fierce_gt and so far loving it.

This thing can do a lot of tricks, but I am not sure how useful they are on a daily basis. Anything you guys recommend as a must-use on this TV? I have the original remote that came with it and then another silver remote/game pad thingy that I have not yet touched.

I have Comcast and am debating if I should hook up the comcast remote to the TV or do vice versa with the IR thing that comes with TV. How do you have urs setup?
Tiki Steve's Avatar Tiki Steve
09:14 PM Liked: 16
post #9941 of 9950
Yesterday | Posts: 41
Okay, this is stupid, so to save you time, stop reading.

So the other day I was looking at the screen on an angle, and saw a stuck pixle.
Was pretty bumbed out.
It was in the lower left of the screen, but no mater how hard I tried not to, I would spot it.
Then I noticed it was pretty large to be just a stuck pixle, it was a fricken group of stuck pixles!!!
Read a previous poster who said that touching the screen made it temporarily go away.
So what have I got to loose, so I touched it....
Turns it wasn't a stuck pixle or a group of pixles......
It was some sorta goo from my dog!!!
Cleaned right off, what a relief!!!
So now the dog isn't alowed to eat in the TV room.
I did warn you it was stupid!!!
wxman's Avatar wxman
09:28 PM Liked: 258
post #9942 of 9950
Yesterday | Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki Steve View Post
Okay, this is stupid, so to save you time, stop reading.

So the other day I was looking at the screen on an angle, and saw a stuck pixle.
Was pretty bumbed out.
It was in the lower left of the screen, but no mater how hard I tried not to, I would spot it.
Then I noticed it was pretty large to be just a stuck pixle, it was a fricken group of stuck pixles!!!
Read a previous poster who said that touching the screen made it temporarily go away.
So what have I got to loose, so I touched it....
Turns it wasn't a stuck pixle or a group of pixles......
It was some sorta goo from my dog!!!
Cleaned right off, what a relief!!!
So now the dog isn't alowed to eat in the TV room.
I did warn you it was stupid!!!
LOL! Dogs can sneeze boogers too. So it might not have been food! Merry Christmas!
sr's Avatar sr
09:56 PM Liked: 23
post #9943 of 9950
Yesterday | Posts: 320
Poor Fido gets no respect
mome_rath
11:47 PM Liked: 1
post #9944 of 9950
Yesterday | Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeeGod View Post
hey guys - officially checking into the F8500 owners thread! Got a 64" bad-boy a few days back, dialed in settings as per Fierce_gt and so far loving it.

This thing can do a lot of tricks, but I am not sure how useful they are on a daily basis. Anything you guys recommend as a must-use on this TV? I have the original remote that came with it and then another silver remote/game pad thingy that I have not yet touched.

I have Comcast and am debating if I should hook up the comcast remote to the TV or do vice versa with the IR thing that comes with TV. How do you have urs setup?
I just ran the MENU --> SYSTEM --> SETUP with the IR blaster and an AT&T box. This also will set up your audio, and maybe more; if I remember correctly.
I have turned off motion and voice controls, as they were randomly popping up. (MENU --> SMART FEATURES) I don`t use Smart Apps, except for Netflix.
I don`t have the regular remote, as I have an older TV, but after 9 months of trying, I should receive one in January.
If you are a gamer, rename your inputs to either PC (least lag) or Game (slightly more lag, but better picture options and quality) by pressing the SOURCE button on the remote, highlight the HDMI port (don`t press OK), but press the up arrow. This should select TOOLS on the top right of the screen. Click OK, EDIT NAME, and choose PC or GAME from the list. You will have to reset the Picture settings, as only Standard and Entertain modes are available using the PC HDMI setting, so keep your settings handy.
MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!
05:06 AM Liked: 18
post #9945 of 9950
Today | Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post
I received my 51" yesterday. Almost everything has gone really smoothly so far, except:

This is my first smart tv. Whenever I have hooked up netflix to my tv before it has always been connecting my computer via hdmi. I had no trouble connecting to network wirelessly and internet during setup of my F8500. Since then, though, the tv keeps telling me I'm either not connected to the network or not connected to the internet. When I do get connected and watch Netflix it doesn't stay connected for long.

I have a 20 mbps connection about 30 ft from my tv. My computer and smartphone work from much farther than that. In fact, I can watch netflix from my smartphone at the same time that the tv says I'm no longer connected.

Is this unusual with smart tv's? Is there anything I can do?
Bump. Is no one having difficulty with their wifi? I had another Samsung smart tv that I had no trouble with. Could my tv wifi antenna be bad? Anyone with any ideas?
tt300zx's Avatar tt300zx
05:21 AM Liked: 0
post #9946 of 9950
Today | Posts: 1
So my 60" has a stuck sub pixel in the top right corner? This is the second one I received like this. The other was sent back. I guess this is something I will have to deal with? My 51" is perfect. Thoughts?
Chili99's Avatar Chili99
09:37 AM Liked: 11
post #9947 of 9950
Today | Posts: 270
Did the app list change? Looking for Crunchyroll.
Chili99's Avatar Chili99
09:43 AM Liked: 11
post #9948 of 9950
Today | Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili99 View Post
Did the app list change? Looking for Crunchyroll.

Never mind. It's hidden under Samsung Apps. I have been hitting the Netflix button so long that I've forgotten how to get around the list of apps.
Blue Rain's Avatar Blue Rain
11:44 AM Liked: 32
post #9949 of 9950
Today | Posts: 1,784
Hey Everyone,

First off Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah !

I been trying to test the 3d on the 8500. I have a Panasonic BDT 210.

I can view 3d via Time Warner Cable with no problem ,but can't seem to get it to work when watching a bluray 3d movie.

Glasses are working and it's not the battery because I can view 3d on TWC.

My BDT 210 never had a problem with my Mits DLP when playing 3d blurays.

I activated 3d on my BDT210 and also on the 8500.

I know I'm missing something so simple and can't figure it out. Been awhile since we viewed a 3d bluray.

Thanks
sr's Avatar sr
12:19 PM Liked: 23
post #9950 of 9950
Today | Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt300zx View Post
So my 60" has a stuck sub pixel in the top right corner? This is the second one I received like this. The other was sent back. I guess this is something I will have to deal with? My 51" is perfect. Thoughts?
If its not noticeable, I would live with it as a replacement TV may not be had this late in the game. I understand that a green stuck pixel is the most noticeable. I have a blue stuck pixel 1/3 the distance from the edge of the screen and do not see it at a 10 foot viewing distance from my 64" on a full white screen. If it's any consolation, you will not notice the pixel on a black screen or when the color of the stuck pixel actually matches or comes close to the color in the scene.
Tags: Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv

Gear in this thread
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread