Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 334 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)

Plasma Flat Panel Displays

maverick11235
08:31 PM Liked: 0
post #9991 of 10015
Yesterday | Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
I'd send it back to Amazon in a heartbeat for another one.
I would too if another one was available, right now amazon is showing them as sold out barring some third party sellers. So Amazon will offer me a money refund since they do not have replacements. That is why I am considering repairs before sending it back.

I might eventually send it back for money too but I don't want to, that is why I came here to request for advice.
wxman's Avatar wxman
09:13 PM Liked: 258
post #9992 of 10015
Yesterday | Posts: 1,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_bama View Post
i think wxman might be pulling my leg .. there is no toggle switch. Nobody has ever mentioned it in forum.

If there is can you enclose a picture.

There is a toggle switch. You can power the tv off, go through the menu, etc. It's on the back of the tv, far bottom left if facing the tv. Looks like a nodule sticking out. There is a button inside that you can toggle.

fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt
10:11 PM Liked: 1081
post #9993 of 10015
Yesterday | Posts: 4,939
I didn't know this existed until at least a month after I bought the tv...

it wasn't until I finally decided to scour the entire tv looking for the power button because my remote was being funky. even then, iirc I had to look it up on the google
maverick11235
11:11 PM Liked: 0
post #9994 of 10015
From the "Service Menu" I can see:

LVDS : Failure
T-CON/FRC: Failure

Does this mean anything to you guys?
FCBarca's Avatar FCBarca
11:20 PM Liked: 10
post #9995 of 10015
Yesterday | Posts: 98
Anyone know if the Samsung PS64F8590 equates to the PN 8500 series? They look pretty similar visually and specs
maverick11235
11:32 PM Liked: 0
post #9996 of 10015

fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt
02:40 AM Liked: 1081
post #9997 of 10015
Today | Posts: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick11235 View Post

that you probably shouldn't be in the service menu if you don't know what you're doing

but seriously, is there any reason why you went into the service menu to begin with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBarca View Post
Anyone know if the Samsung PS64F8590 equates to the PN 8500 series? They look pretty similar visually and specs
probably, there's pretty much no chance Samsung would make a 'different' tv at this point
Dougofthenorth's Avatar Dougofthenorth
03:18 AM Liked: 43
post #9998 of 10015
Today | Posts: 608
Quote:

same TV http://translate.google.ca/translate...ZG&prev=search
model# vs article #
jk_bama's Avatar jk_bama
06:48 AM Liked: 10
post #9999 of 10015
Today | Posts: 59
wxman .. do you mean C in the enclosed photo for toggle switch?
Attached: nz_PS51F8500AMXRD_007_Back_black.jpg (97.0 KB) 
AMartin56's Avatar AMartin56
06:53 AM Liked: 76
post #10000 of 10015
Today | Posts: 1,230
Well that's interesting. I haven't seen this reported on the F8500 (it mostly seems to be a F5300 thing) but my July 2014 build 51 inch has a faint pink band along the bottom of the screen. Maybe about an inch or two from the bottom and about three inches tall. It's visible on gray, white, and green color slides and I just saw it in some normal content that had a full screen image of light blue sky. It almost looks like the wide white banner that CNN uses along the bottom but it can't be IR....I've watched about an hour of CNN on the TV at most.

As defects go it's very minor. I'd say the color is similar to the slight pinkish hue I get in the upper right on full screen white. But being a fairly well defined band with visible edges rather than a 'splotchy' area the eye is drawn a bit more to it. In any case the location is a good one....it would be well 'out of the way' when watching letter boxed movies.

I certainly don't think this developed over time (I'm probably just now noticing it and it's possible that my recent calibration brings it out a bit more). My panel has 500 hours on it.

This is my first plasma so while I'm a bit dismayed to find that their 'perfect uniformity' is anything but this TV wows me on a regular basis so I think I'll keep it. My ST60 had a pink blob in the top/middle that was much worse.
DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500
08:48 AM Liked: 222
post #10001 of 10015
Today | Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Well that's interesting. I haven't seen this reported on the F8500 (it mostly seems to be a F5300 thing) but my July 2014 build 51 inch has a faint pink band along the bottom of the screen. Maybe about an inch or two from the bottom and about three inches tall. It's visible on gray, white, and green color slides and I just saw it in some normal content that had a full screen image of light blue sky. It almost looks like the wide white banner that CNN uses along the bottom but it can't be IR....I've watched about an hour of CNN on the TV at most.

As defects go it's very minor. I'd say the color is similar to the slight pinkish hue I get in the upper right on full screen white. But being a fairly well defined band with visible edges rather than a 'splotchy' area the eye is drawn a bit more to it. In any case the location is a good one....it would be well 'out of the way' when watching letter boxed movies.

I certainly don't think this developed over time (I'm probably just now noticing it and it's possible that my recent calibration brings it out a bit more). My panel has 500 hours on it.

This is my first plasma so while I'm a bit dismayed to find that their 'perfect uniformity' is anything but this TV wows me on a regular basis so I think I'll keep it. My ST60 had a pink blob in the top/middle that was much worse.
I've reported this numerous times on this forum. I also have a 51" (Apr 2013 build) that has the same faint, pink horizontal band running along the bottom of my screen (along with a slightly fainter pinkinsh band running slightly above the lower one). I am a big time viewer of ESPN (dark red score ticker running along bottom, but recently changed to dark grey) and CNN, but these pink bands have always been there, and are only visible on white screens (probably grey and all green screen also ,like you noticed). Sometimes, I do feel that particular calibrations enhance this pinking band to a certain degree. On the other hand, I have seen these bands on all my different calibrations I have used. It's really not a deal breaker for me in the least bit. As long as the color doesn't darken over time, which is has not (MRT over 4800 hrs now).
AMartin56's Avatar AMartin56
09:02 AM Liked: 76
post #10002 of 10015
Today | Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
I've reported this numerous times on this forum. I also have a 51" (Apr 2013 build) that has the same faint, pink horizontal band running along the bottom of my screen (along with a slightly fainter pinkinsh band running slightly above the lower one). I am a big time viewer of ESPN (dark red score ticker running along bottom, but recently changed to dark grey) and CNN, but these pink bands have always been there, and are only visible on white screens (probably grey and all green screen also ,like you noticed). Sometimes, I do feel that particular calibrations enhance this pinking band to a certain degree. On the other hand, I have seen these bands on all my different calibrations I have used. It's really not a deal breaker for me in the least bit. As long as the color doesn't darken over time, which is has not (MRT over 4800 hrs now).
Interesting (Sorry I missed your previous posts). Good to know it's not unusual.

Certainly no worse than a bit of DSE and in a much better location than you normally get with DSE.
sawzalot's Avatar sawzalot
09:26 AM Liked: 12
post #10003 of 10015
Today | Posts: 175
Quote:
wxman .. do you mean C in the enclosed photo for toggle switch?
about 6 -7 inches to the right of "C" you can see it on your pic

All the way to the right its round looks like a power switch.
hpp8140's Avatar hpp8140
10:31 AM Liked: 31
post #10004 of 10015
Today | Posts: 223
Do people read anymore.

P.12
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...02ENG-1029.pdf
hairy48's Avatar hairy48
10:42 AM Liked: 10
post #10005 of 10015
Today | Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawzalot View Post
about 6 -7 inches to the right of "C" you can see it on your pic

All the way to the right its round looks like a power switch.
It's actually a joystick control. Push it in while the set is On and an icon menu displays in the X Y axis. If it's On when you push it, you move the joystick down and press in to Power off the TV. If it's Off, pressing it in will turn it on.
jk_bama's Avatar jk_bama
10:53 AM Liked: 10
post #10006 of 10015
Today | Posts: 59
thanks everyone. saw it is the round thing. Also saw it in manual page 12.
Question I have is how different is its power off compared to my normal remote power off. They may have provisioned that when they were not shipping normal remote only smart hub remote.

what does the joystick replace? If I can unplug the cable will it do the same thing?

hairy48 .. this is regarding not recognizing HDMI ports. Some suggested unplugging and doing factory reset.
10:59 AM Liked: 43
post #10007 of 10015
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

If you change picture aspect ratios does it change/go away ??
11:05 AM Liked: 43
post #10008 of 10015
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post

Appears not - need spoon feeding & instant gratification

However, to be fair some things have become sooo complex & instructions so cryptic
one can't understand how to set up a lot of devices
FloydTerminator
12:50 PM Liked: 11
post #10009 of 10015
Today | Posts: 33
New update available, 1204. If you have auto update turned off, make sure you get the new update! Tho I have no idea what it has done thus far....
wxman's Avatar wxman
12:52 PM Liked: 258
post #10010 of 10015
Today | Posts: 1,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTerminator View Post
New update available, 1204. If you have auto update turned off, make sure you get the new update! Tho I have no idea what it has done thus far....

All these updates do anymore is update the smart hub apps. I don't use the apps, so I don't bother updating and risk having to do a full reset afterwards.
FloydTerminator
01:09 PM Liked: 11
post #10011 of 10015
Today | Posts: 33
I had trouble with my 60" 8500. It wouldnt connect, then it would work, but it would still say it wasnt connected. Then it said it was connected and it wouldnt work lol. Now it is connected, and it says it is connected. The light on my router is showing orange which means theres a problem with the connection. I have left it all alone as its working fine. I definitely had 2 weeks of trouble but eventually it all just started working correctly.
paligap's Avatar paligap
02:35 PM Liked: 15
post #10012 of 10015
Today | Posts: 339
Does anyone else have to turn the 3D=>2D option off every time he watches a 3D blu-ray? I don't even understand why someone would want that option. I wonder if it's because I use Standard instead of Movie mode for 3D blu-rays.
WantsNWarrants's Avatar WantsNWarrants
02:44 PM Liked: 33
post #10013 of 10015
Today | Posts: 150
Quote:
PN is North America

Everything else F8500 is not NA
hairy48's Avatar hairy48
03:06 PM Liked: 10
post #10014 of 10015
Today | Posts: 18
Quote:
hairy48 .. this is regarding not recognizing HDMI ports. Some suggested unplugging and doing factory reset.
Yes, and I think you were asking about the "Power" button on the back of the set. As an example, for Mac PowerBooks you can do a power management reset by turning off the laptop, remove the battery and hold down the power button for xx number of seconds. I have read in these threads about doing a similar reset technique, as was mentioned to you; by performing a Reset from the System>Self Diagnosis>Reset menu, unplugging the set and holding down the Power Button for 30 seconds in order to perform a Factory Reset. This resets everything with the exception of Network settings. IIRC, this recommendation came your way as a last thing to try before calling Customer Support to troubleshoot your HDMI inputs. Other owners with this/your problem have had a board replaced which powered/controlled the HDMI inputs. I hope this clears things up.
maverick11235
04:24 PM Liked: 0
post #10015 of 10015
Today | Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
that you probably shouldn't be in the service menu if you don't know what you're doing

but seriously, is there any reason why you went into the service menu to begin with?

Well how will I learn/(get to know) if I won't go into the service menu. At least now I know that best case scenario the LVDS cable is loose on the TV and worst case scenario the TCON board needs to be replaced. I asked just in case somebody else here had seen a similar issue, but seems not.
james9120's Avatar james9120
04:57 PM Liked: 10
post #10016 of 10015
Today | Posts: 48
So I managed to burn in the Comedy Central logo after watching a few hours of Comedy Central content a night since Oct. with commercial breaks and pixel shift on for a couple hours a night as well. Meaning I'd start off without pixel shift, switch to relaxed mode after a couple hours with pixel shift enabled.

I ran the sweeping thing for an hour (that's how I found it) but it didn't fade away. Guess I'm screwed?
Tags: Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv

Gear in this thread
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread