Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 343 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #10261 of 11520 Old 01-05-2015, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 213
3D Blu-ray is excellent; I'm still not sure why people watch streaming video of any kind, aside from convenience, given that regular 2D Blu-ray is also heads and shoulders better than HD streaming in terms of video and audio quality.

That having been said, have any long-term owners of the F8500 noticed the buzz/sizzle diminishing after they've a few hundred hours on the set?

I absolutely love the PQ, but am considering returning mine as I find I can't just sit down and enjoy a movie or TV anymore; I'm always conscious the high frequency "sizzle" is there, and it's a relief to turn the set off - not from an inducing a headache standpoint or anything like that, but simply sort of the relief from an annoyance you didn't really notice previously, not unlike the old days when you didn't notice the high frequency whine from a CRT's flyback transformer until you shut the TV off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10262 of 11520 Old 01-05-2015, 02:43 PM
sr

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Wow. Do you hear this buzz even at normal volume? I have the 64" and don't hear it at all. Then again, I'm no spring chicken (60+ years old), so I guess maybe age has a lot to do with my loss of sensitivity to this high frequency.
post #10263 of 11520 Old 01-05-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
^ for me it's because i hate 3D at the best of times, so i'm not going to spend money on a 3D bluray. if my friends bring one over or something, then we're fine. I just tried a couple SBS videos to 'test/demo' since they were essentially free. i would not have guessed a display would be 'the best' with bluray 3d, and not 'the best' with other forms of 3D as well. live and learn.

almost makes me wonder if the jvc projector gets worse with bluray, haha. i could never understand why guys were so upset with how it looked on the projector, to me it was the closest thing to the theater i've seen.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #10264 of 11520 Old 01-05-2015, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr View Post
Wow. Do you hear this buzz even at normal volume? I have the 64" and don't hear it at all. Then again, I'm no spring chicken (60+ years old), so I guess maybe age has a lot to do with my loss of sensitivity to this high frequency.
When using the TV speakers I still can hear it if the volume is 40 or more if it's a quiet scene.

Most of the time I use a full 5.1 surround system and once again, I can hear it during quiet parts even though I'm sitting twelve feet away as it's the dreaded "directional buzz" that is ironically loudest when you're centered in front of the display, exactly in the prime viewing spot; the noise goes away if I move four feet to the left on the couch, but that's not why I bought such a high PQ TV.
post #10265 of 11520 Old 01-05-2015, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Hey quick question, tried searching the thread but the search didn't turn up much useful...

I've got a 51" P8500 on its stock stand, on a desk.... I've got a Pioneer CS22 center channel speaker in front of it.

The TV needs to be at least a few inches higher or the center blocks a couple inches of screen.... anybody found any sort of riser that's actually big enough to do that? All the ones I find are much too narrow given the Samsung stand is the entire length of the TV.

(even better would be one that makes room to put the center under the TV, but I think that'd be something I'd have to make myself)
post #10266 of 11520 Old 01-05-2015, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I'm 30. I can hear it from 0-8 feet. after that, its either very mild on non existent. I just cant believe its bothering ppl that much. I forget about it after 2 mins of staring at the amazing picture.
post #10267 of 11520 Old 01-05-2015, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTerminator View Post
I'm 30. I can hear it from 0-8 feet. after that, its either very mild on non existent. I just cant believe its bothering ppl that much. I forget about it after 2 mins of staring at the amazing picture.

I'm 49 and I can hear the very high frequency whine 30 feet away standing in my kitchen.
The buzz is not the problem, it's the ringing in my ears after watching the TV for a couple of hours.
post #10268 of 11520 Old 01-05-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
3D Blu-ray is excellent; I'm still not sure why people watch streaming video of any kind, aside from convenience, given that regular 2D Blu-ray is also heads and shoulders better than HD streaming in terms of video and audio quality.
Your definition of heads and shoulders better is very different than mine. HD Streaming has come a long ways in the last couple of years, some Netflix titles nearly match VUDU's HDX format in terms of video quality. Yes, Blu-rays are still better but most of the time it's difficult to discern the difference. That is with 2D content.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #10269 of 11520 Old 01-05-2015, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Your definition of heads and shoulders better is very different than mine. HD Streaming has come a long ways in the last couple of years, some Netflix titles nearly match VUDU's HDX format in terms of video quality. Yes, Blu-rays are still better but most of the time it's difficult to discern the difference. That is with 2D content.
I've yet to watch a stream I couldn't tell was a stream.

Better PQ than DISH or DirecTV certainly in most cases but nowhere near a Blu-ray, and this is with a rather high speed link.

Then again I've always been able to pick out digital artifacts at the drop of a hat.
Chere likes this.
post #10270 of 11520 Old 01-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Leading up to questions I have comments about my recently purchased NIB 51" F8500.

No Buzz(I'm 65)
No pink
No stuck pixels
PQ is good but I would never use words I have read on this thread like wow, pop,3D-ish and amazing. It's better than my old Samsung plasma a B650(black level .012) from 2009 but not a significant amount
I am using movie and close to other settings mentioned here. I have used Disney WOW to arrive at those settings. I use HDMI through my Denon 1610 but have run my HDMI straight to the TV from my blu ray and Directv Genie and also changed HDMI cable and temporarily used component cables to verify that there weren't any other HDMI issues.
I read somewhere on this thread that the panel was black when off and I also read an Audioholics review that stated the same plus black bars were jet black and scenes were jet black where they needed to be.
My screen is gray when off, the black bars have a slight glow, and when the scene changes on a show or movie and fades to black the screen has a slight glow to it.

Is your screen black or gray when off?
Are your black bars jet black or do they glow? How about with content?
Is there any way to test black levels without a meter? I know I couldn't arrive at a reading like from a meter but was wondering about certain scenes that should look a certain way, or any other method?

Please don't get the idea that I think my TV is poor it's just not what I expected from possibly one of the top 3 PQ of all time.
post #10271 of 11520 Old 01-05-2015, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Because I've found Harmony remotes often don't easily replicate every button on every remote I own.

Sure, I can "teach" it new features, but they end up hidden or requiring a combination of keypresses to achieve.
To each his own, but the point of a Harmony is not to replace every single button on every single remote exactly as they occurred on the original device. The point is to automate the 95% of daily tasks which is all most people ever use so you don't need 5 odd remotes to ensure that everything that needs to be on is on, the rest is off, the inputs are set correctly, the volume gets controlled, the channels changed etc. I can't imagine how annoying it would be using device remotes for every day tasks in even a simple setup that involves 3 input devices, 1 AVR and the F8500.

I still use my device remotes to change picture settings or tweak the setup of my AVR, the Harmony isn't the best for those types of operations. However those are also things that, if you've done it right the first time, you should only have to set once then test every 6 months or so to make sure there hasn't been any drift.
AMartin56 likes this.

Samsung PN64F8500, Marantz SR5008, Jamo S40 centre/S403 fronts/S40 sub, OrbAudio: Mod1X rears
Popcorn Hour A-200, AppleTV 2nd gen, Plex and 2x Debian NAS/Media Servers - 28TB & growing
post #10272 of 11520 Old 01-05-2015, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
To each his own, but the point of a Harmony is not to replace every single button on every single remote exactly as they occurred on the original device. The point is to automate the 95% of daily tasks which is all most people ever use so you don't need 5 odd remotes to ensure that everything that needs to be on is on, the rest is off, the inputs are set correctly, the volume gets controlled, the channels changed etc. I can't imagine how annoying it would be using device remotes for every day tasks in even a simple setup that involves 3 input devices, 1 AVR and the F8500.

I still use my device remotes to change picture settings or tweak the setup of my AVR, the Harmony isn't the best for those types of operations. However those are also things that, if you've done it right the first time, you should only have to set once then test every 6 months or so to make sure there hasn't been any drift.
I like using the original remotes for everything simply because I don't want to have to grab a different remote to do something out of the ordinary if I so desire, so different strokes I guess.

No universal remote would ever be able to handle my system, so I largely have to set all my individual inputs anyway.
post #10273 of 11520 Old 01-06-2015, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Very close call. As some may have read, my Panny Z1 was damaged by a Wii remote. Getting another plasma was priority. After reading how good the 8500 series was, I sprung into action, but not before taking a look at the 4K's. I ordered a 60 8500 series from Bestbuy.com. They were all gone a few hours after going onto their Web site again. This was on the Dec. 27th. Yesterday to my gut wrenching feel, I got a email from BB that the order had been canceled.
Calling them did nothing other than finding a 51" at a store about an hour away. I knew I had to take what I could get at this point. So, instead of moving up to a 60 from a 54, I am going down to a 51. Hope I don't notice that much. I sit about eight feet away. My wife always thought the 54 was a little big. Me, never too big. Just had to vent....
post #10274 of 11520 Old 01-06-2015, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I finally attempted to mess with 3D on the F8500. I used the Guardians of the Galaxy Blu-Ray to test out how it looked, and found that it was riddled with brightness fluctuations. There are moments where it actually looks pretty good. During those times the brightness is reasonable, the 3D is suitably dimensional and smooth, and motion is fine.

However, often the brightness will lower, and the 3D will simultaneously break up and look terrible. This can happen multiple times per scene which makes the film unwatchable. When I took off the 3D glasses, I did not notice any such fluctuations while just looking at the raw screen, so I'm wondering if it's a malfunction with the glasses (I tried multiple pairs of the factory glasses but got the same results).

Has anyone run into this before?

Thanks.
post #10275 of 11520 Old 01-06-2015, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post
Leading up to questions I have comments about my recently purchased NIB 51" F8500.

No Buzz(I'm 65)
No pink
No stuck pixels
PQ is good but I would never use words I have read on this thread like wow, pop,3D-ish and amazing. It's better than my old Samsung plasma a B650(black level .012) from 2009 but not a significant amount
I am using movie and close to other settings mentioned here. I have used Disney WOW to arrive at those settings. I use HDMI through my Denon 1610 but have run my HDMI straight to the TV from my blu ray and Directv Genie and also changed HDMI cable and temporarily used component cables to verify that there weren't any other HDMI issues.
I read somewhere on this thread that the panel was black when off and I also read an Audioholics review that stated the same plus black bars were jet black and scenes were jet black where they needed to be.
My screen is gray when off, the black bars have a slight glow, and when the scene changes on a show or movie and fades to black the screen has a slight glow to it.

Is there any way to test black levels without a meter? I know I couldn't arrive at a reading like from a meter but was wondering about certain scenes that should look a certain way, or any other method?

Please don't get the idea that I think my TV is poor it's just not what I expected from possibly one of the top 3 PQ of all time.
In a totally dark room, the black bars will not be black in dark scenes. There will be a glow. In brighter scenes the bars will appear black. That is common with most plasmas. With ambient light in the room, the black bars will appear black most of the time.
post #10276 of 11520 Old 01-06-2015, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I just got a new 65" Samsung F8500 and I am extremely disappointed. Everything looks grainy, can I fix this?

This would really suck if I can't fix this because it is practically unwatchable for me. I had a Panasonic VT50 before and the picture was waaaayyy better on the Panasonic. Everyone raves about the F8500 so I never thought there would be a problem. Someone please help me before I throw this set in the garbage.

I used the calibration settings from the settings thread here and I am running the video through a Marantz SR6009 that I also just got. Could that be the problem?

65" Samsung F8500 - Marantz SR6009 - Oppo Blu-Ray Player
2 KEF iQ90 L&R - KEF iQ60c Center - 4 KEF iQ8ds Di-Pole Surrounds - KEF PSW2500 Sub
Xbox 360 - Xbox One - PS4 - ASUS G751
post #10277 of 11520 Old 01-06-2015, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I hate my new Samsung F8500, is it me?

I just got a new 65" Samsung F8500 and I am extremely disappointed. Everything looks grainy, can I fix this?

This would really suck if I can't fix this because it is practically unwatchable for me. I had a Panasonic VT50 before and the picture was waaaayyy better on the Panasonic. Everyone raves about the F8500 so I never thought there would be a problem. Someone please help me before I throw this set in the garbage.

I used the calibration settings from the settings thread here and I am running the video through a Marantz SR6009 that I also just got. Could that be the problem?

65" Samsung F8500 - Marantz SR6009 - Oppo Blu-Ray Player
2 KEF iQ90 L&R - KEF iQ60c Center - 4 KEF iQ8ds Di-Pole Surrounds - KEF PSW2500 Sub
Xbox 360 - Xbox One - PS4 - ASUS G751
post #10278 of 11520 Old 01-06-2015, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatore View Post

Turn down the sharpness. Most of the presets have the sharpness at 50. Turn it down to 10. I dont know what the size of your previous was, but the larger the screen, the lower the image quality. A 50 inch tv will look more crisp than a 65 inch tv. Also test the source material directly connected to tv, bypassing the AVR.
StinDaWg and FloydTerminator like this.
post #10279 of 11520 Old 01-06-2015, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First, turn down the sharpness. The default on this tv is 50. Turn it down to 10. Second, connect source directly to tv, and not to AVR and compare. Third, if you are going from a 50 inch to a 64 inch tv, the image will not be as crisp looking. You can see more flaws the larger the screen size you go.
post #10280 of 11520 Old 01-06-2015, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
I just got a new 65" Samsung F8500
You must have the only 65" plasma made by Samsung.
Congrats
Blue Rain, StinDaWg, HLdan and 1 others like this.
post #10281 of 11520 Old 01-06-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

No Buzz(I'm 65)
No pink
No stuck pixels

My 8500 black bars look jet black and when the tv is off it is black and not gray.
I don't know if when the panel was manufactured has anything to do with it. Mine was made in 11/14. Do you know when your's was manufactured out of curiosity?
post #10282 of 11520 Old 01-06-2015, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird8450 View Post
I finally attempted to mess with 3D on the F8500. I used the Guardians of the Galaxy Blu-Ray to test out how it looked, and found that it was riddled with brightness fluctuations. There are moments where it actually looks pretty good. During those times the brightness is reasonable, the 3D is suitably dimensional and smooth, and motion is fine.

However, often the brightness will lower, and the 3D will simultaneously break up and look terrible. This can happen multiple times per scene which makes the film unwatchable. When I took off the 3D glasses, I did not notice any such fluctuations while just looking at the raw screen, so I'm wondering if it's a malfunction with the glasses (I tried multiple pairs of the factory glasses but got the same results).

Has anyone run into this before?

Thanks.
change film mode to cinema smooth.
post #10283 of 11520 Old 01-06-2015, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Turn sharpness down to zero for starts and disable any artificial enhancements.
post #10284 of 11520 Old 01-06-2015, 09:44 AM
sr

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Gear View Post
Very close call. As some may have read, my Panny Z1 was damaged by a Wii remote. Getting another plasma was priority. After reading how good the 8500 series was, I sprung into action, but not before taking a look at the 4K's. I ordered a 60 8500 series from Bestbuy.com. They were all gone a few hours after going onto their Web site again. This was on the Dec. 27th. Yesterday to my gut wrenching feel, I got a email from BB that the order had been canceled.
Calling them did nothing other than finding a 51" at a store about an hour away. I knew I had to take what I could get at this point. So, instead of moving up to a 60 from a 54, I am going down to a 51. Hope I don't notice that much. I sit about eight feet away. My wife always thought the 54 was a little big. Me, never too big. Just had to vent....

I would keep looking just in case by some miracle stock comes back somewhere. Then you can return the 51" to those !@#$%^ idiots that should be penalized for their selling practices.
post #10285 of 11520 Old 01-06-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:

As others have said, turn down the sharpness. I prefer a setting of 20.
By the way, I've got a VT50 also. Nice set.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, Klein K10, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #10286 of 11520 Old 01-06-2015, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I will do so. I really was devastated by the cancellation. I am going to inbox the 51" and see if I can live with it. I kind of feel a little luck just being able to get it. I mean what other choice do I have if I want a plasma with a killer picture at this sad point of them becoming dinosaurs. $1500 was my price cap. I will keep my eyes open. Does anyone know the Best Buy return policy as far as amount of days?

Quote:
I would keep looking just in case by some miracle stock comes back somewhere. Then you can return the 51" to those !@#$%^ idiots that should be penalized for their selling practices.
post #10287 of 11520 Old 01-06-2015, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
My 8500 black bars look jet black and when the tv is off it is black and not gray.
I don't know if when the panel was manufactured has anything to do with it. Mine was made in 11/14. Do you know when your's was manufactured out of curiosity?
11/14 also. Is yours a 51"? My panel is a UW01. Yours? My panel,when off, looks similar to the bezel, maybe slightly darker.

Last edited by tomnan24; 01-06-2015 at 10:30 AM.
post #10288 of 11520 Old 01-06-2015, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I would start with a baseline. Reset movie mode to default config and see how that is. Default movie mode should be pretty good.
post #10289 of 11520 Old 01-06-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post

I'm not sure why you would even need to go back to your original remotes to change picture/audio settings. Just go to device mode and select the device you want to tweak. I can't remember the last time I actually unwrap the packaging from an original remote and in most cases I had my Harmony 600 set up for a device before it even arrives.

Heck, the functionality is even better on the Harmony remote than my sound bar's remote, with that remote you can only toggle to an source input and with the Harmony you can select inputs directly. Thankfully Harmony had those codes as it wouldn't be possible to set up my activities seamlessly without them.

It comes down to how much time you want to spend setting up activities and devices. My "TV Watching" activity is somewhat complicated because I'm utilizing ARC and passing audio through my oppo to the MartinLogan (this is for the OTA broadcasts and the Amazon App since the oppo doesn't have it). This set up would be a PIA without the Harmony doing it seamlessly.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #10290 of 11520 Old 01-06-2015, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
11/14 also. Is yours a 51"? My panel is a UW01. Yours? My panel,when off, looks similar to the bezel, maybe slightly darker.
Mine is the 60'' panel. I am not sure if it says UW01 but I will look. Look again when you see a trailer with the black bars. They should be jet black.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page