Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 358 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #10711 of 10738 Unread 01-23-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
I find 13-14 suitable for Fios, yet when I stream Netflix, it's in the mid 60 range.
I can listen to OTA at 8 to 10, but that is lowish, I usually listen at 11 to 15. Some fluxation on Roku streaming service and amongst Blu Rays, but Ive never set it about 25.

Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Samsung 51F8500 Plasma / Vizio M422i LCD / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Vizio VP322 Plasma
Sony S790 BD / Panasonic BDT220 BD / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / PlayStation 3
Oppo 983H Anchor Bay VRS / Denon 2930CI Silicon Optix Reon / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis / Oppo 970HD Mediatek
Panasonic LX-900 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10712 of 10738 Unread 01-23-2015, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all... Trying to track down a new pn64f8500... Not having any luck obviously.. Best buy has a floor model from June 2013 for 1400.00 with no remote!! Any thoughts? Thanks
post #10713 of 10738 Unread 01-23-2015, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage86 View Post
Hello all... Trying to track down a new pn64f8500... Not having any luck obviously.. Best buy has a floor model from June 2013 for 1400.00 with no remote!! Any thoughts? Thanks
If they have had the tv on for 12 hours a day, 7 days a week since June of 2013, there would be around 7000 hours on that screen. That's not so bad. The question is if they had any static logos on it for that many hours. If so, there is probably some serious burn in issues. For a used tv, which it really is, it's not worth half the original price. If you don't see burn in, dead pixels, etc, I would ask them to throw in a 4 year extended warranty for free. The remote you can find on Amazon for $30.
post #10714 of 10738 Unread Yesterday, 10:06 AM

Quick question?? I purchased the PN60F8500 Used at a best buy. when Geeksquad came to mount the tv they scratched the panel. They said they can replace it and they also said the panel will be an official Samsung panel. Will this deteriorate the PQ at all? from what I gathered it may even gain more hours of use with the new panel but i don't want to lose an PQ while doing it.
post #10715 of 10738 Unread Yesterday, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeil213 View Post
Quick question?? I purchased the PN60F8500 Used at a best buy. when Geeksquad came to mount the tv they scratched the panel. They said they can replace it and they also said the panel will be an official Samsung panel. Will this deteriorate the PQ at all? from what I gathered it may even gain more hours of use with the new panel but i don't want to lose an PQ while doing it.
Recent posts say the replacement panel is good, so no worries, Mate.
post #10716 of 10738 Unread Yesterday, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I thought I would post this review of my full ISF calibration performed by Chad B. on my 64F8500 two weeks ago. The display was initially calibrated using CNET settings on movie mode and had a break in period of 340 hours. This is my first Plasma, and I bought it because of the great reviews that raved about its PQ. I'm a newbie to highend displays, so my review will not be technical but rather based on what I see.

Chad arrived promptly at 3pm per schedule and spent three and a half hours on the calibration. The timing of the calibration couldn't have been better because it took place during afternoon and early evening lighting in my living room. Chad was engaging and very friendly, but at the same time, he was serious and focused on the task at hand. He spent quality time explaining the calibration process to me. The pre-calibration test showed the display being somewhat off desired settings. It seemed Chad spent a good amount of time in white balance, adjusting and then readjusting until he was satisfied. Yes, it was pain staking, but the end result was nothing short of jaw dropping.

The first thing that was very obvious after calibration was the brightness (max fl: 42.3 pre), (max fl: 54.6 post). But, it was not overly bright to the point that detracted from the overall PQ. Shades of color appeared spot on accurate. Everything looked natural and smooth, especially skin tones. Before, skin tones had a slight greenish tint, objects seemed a little over saturated and not as realistic as they are now. I watch a lot of hockey and now the ice looks white and natural, not the slight pinkish tint it had before. I think the biggest improvement is in dark sceenes with inkier blacks and more detail and texture. As an example, in a sceene where a man wearing a black coat and dark grey vest in a dimly lit room revealed different shades and more shadow detail than before.

To be honest, I was expecting some improvement but not this significant. I am completely satisfied with the results and was impressed with the professionalism of Chad B. Therefore, I would highly recommend a full calibration. In summary it was worth the cost to have my display performing at its full potential.
Chad B and venus933 like this.
post #10717 of 10738 Unread Yesterday, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 75
^What picture modes did you have calibrated?^

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #10718 of 10738 Unread Yesterday, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[QUOTE=RMcNeil213;31122674]... from what I gathered it may even gain more hours of use with the new panel but i don't want to lose an PQ

Hold up. What do you mean that "it may gain even more hours"? Do then intend to replace the panel with a used one?
post #10719 of 10738 Unread Yesterday, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage86 View Post
Does it have (and do you need) the stand? I looked at a floor model PN60F8500 at Fry's Electronics and they lacked one of the remotes AND the stand as they had it wall mounted. I figured I could replace the remote but the stand was a deal breaker.

Paul
post #10720 of 10738 Unread Yesterday, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Does it have (and do you need) the stand? I looked at a floor model PN60F8500 at Fry's Electronics and they lacked one of the remotes AND the stand as they had it wall mounted. I figured I could replace the remote but the stand was a deal breaker.
You can find parts for Samsung from Samsung. Unfortunately, the stand costs $200.

http://www.samsungparts.com/Products...el=PN60F8500AF
post #10721 of 10738 Unread Yesterday, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 39
EMI -- Now I need a tin-foil hat 24x7

The F8500 makes for some serious EMI to other components.

I have an old Meridian 561 digital preamplifier / processor that I still use for home theater. It sits with it's top about 2 inches below the bottom right side of my 64F8500, wall-mounted on an articulating arm and about a foot out from the wall.

When I installed the 64F8500, we noticed that the Meridian began behaving strangely when the TV was on. It would turn itself on and off, change modes and presets, and generally act strange every hour or two. It also would often not respond to the remote control, and sometime would not even respond to the front panel buttons (e.g. have to pull the plug to turn it off). It (mostly) worked fine with the F8500 turned off.

I thought that this was infrared from the picture messing with the remote control sensor of the Meridian. We had similar, less severe, problems back in 2003 when I installed my first plasma (a 42" Panasonic) with the identical setup. Somewhere on this forum I learned of a small stick-on IR filter, and attaching that over the Meridian's remote control sensor window solved the problem, for the 42" Panasonic and the 50" Kuro that came along a few years later.

I reasoned that the much larger and brighter screen put out more infrared, so I needed to add another layer of filtering. Adding another layer of filtering did not help, though.

The breakthrough came when, one day, I noticed that with the F8500 on, the Meridian was not responding to the front panel buttons when I covered the infrared sensor window with my thumb. Very suspicious...

On a hunch, I wrapped a sheet of aluminum foil around the top and sides of the Meridian.

Problem completely solved, almost.

The poor Meridian 561 had gotten so scrambled by the F8500 that it would (for example) no longer allow access to the center speaker adjustments. That was fixed by re-uploading it's saved firmware and settings from a PC.

Now, it's fine wearing it's tin foil hat all the time. But I was a bit surprised that the F8500 puts out that much EMI.
post #10722 of 10738 Unread Yesterday, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
or is the meridian too sensitive... haha

that's weird. I guess that extra brightness comes at a cost. I know it's a power hog, so I suppose it makes sense that more current equals a stronger field.

that being said, I haven't experienced anything like this, so who knows if it's common or if the f8500 is missing some shielding or something?

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #10723 of 10738 Unread Yesterday, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
^What picture modes did you have calibrated?^
Movie mode only. I placed same settings on relaxed and standard, however, some of the settings were grayed out for some reason like white balance and others. But it did improve both modes somewhat, but not as good as it did for movie. Also, Chad calibrated 3D and there is a marked improvement.
post #10724 of 10738 Unread Yesterday, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
You could get this stand off eBay for cheaper:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-PN60...item1c4cbed604
post #10725 of 10738 Unread Yesterday, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsNWarrants View Post
Recent posts say the replacement panel is good, so no worries, Mate.
alright good and thanks for the quick response.
post #10726 of 10738 Unread Yesterday, 04:47 PM

[quote=skidmark;31127874]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeil213 View Post
... from what I gathered it may even gain more hours of use with the new panel but i don't want to lose an PQ

Hold up. What do you mean that "it may gain even more hours"? Do then intend to replace the panel with a used one?
no they're replacing it with a brand new one. From what i was told that can make the tv last longer. again i wasn't sure on it but if thats the case cool.
post #10727 of 10738 Unread Yesterday, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
or is the meridian too sensitive... haha

that's weird. I guess that extra brightness comes at a cost. I know it's a power hog, so I suppose it makes sense that more current equals a stronger field.

that being said, I haven't experienced anything like this, so who knows if it's common or if the f8500 is missing some shielding or something?

I just think the F8500 doesn't want anything in its immediate area to steal attention away from it.....
Blue Rain likes this.
post #10728 of 10738 Unread Yesterday, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlinger View Post
I thought I would post this review of my full ISF calibration performed by Chad B. on my 64F8500 two weeks ago. The display was initially calibrated using CNET settings on movie mode and had a break in period of 340 hours. This is my first Plasma, and I bought it because of the great reviews that raved about its PQ. I'm a newbie to highend displays, so my review will not be technical but rather based on what I see.

Chad arrived promptly at 3pm per schedule and spent three and a half hours on the calibration. The timing of the calibration couldn't have been better because it took place during afternoon and early evening lighting in my living room. Chad was engaging and very friendly, but at the same time, he was serious and focused on the task at hand. He spent quality time explaining the calibration process to me. The pre-calibration test showed the display being somewhat off desired settings. It seemed Chad spent a good amount of time in white balance, adjusting and then readjusting until he was satisfied. Yes, it was pain staking, but the end result was nothing short of jaw dropping.

The first thing that was very obvious after calibration was the brightness (max fl: 42.3 pre), (max fl: 54.6 post). But, it was not overly bright to the point that detracted from the overall PQ. Shades of color appeared spot on accurate. Everything looked natural and smooth, especially skin tones. Before, skin tones had a slight greenish tint, objects seemed a little over saturated and not as realistic as they are now. I watch a lot of hockey and now the ice looks white and natural, not the slight pinkish tint it had before. I think the biggest improvement is in dark sceenes with inkier blacks and more detail and texture. As an example, in a sceene where a man wearing a black coat and dark grey vest in a dimly lit room revealed different shades and more shadow detail than before.

To be honest, I was expecting some improvement but not this significant. I am completely satisfied with the results and was impressed with the professionalism of Chad B. Therefore, I would highly recommend a full calibration. In summary it was worth the cost to have my display performing at its full potential.
What were your settings prior to calibration and after?
post #10729 of 10738 Unread Yesterday, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Gear View Post
Put that worry out of your mind. I have had plasma for ten years now. Never a "burn in" issue. Some retention is always bing to happen, but it goes away. It's the price to pay if you want to have a TV that displays the most realistic picture. Enjoy it!
I also own a ZT60. Being mindful of IR is mandatory.

I just wanted a hassle-free smooth-operating high performance plasma tv. The F8500 does that nicely.

Color is reference. ( ZT60 colour is slightly more preferable FWIW )

Excellent blacks

Lourve filter is superb ( 2nd behind ZT60 if anyone is counting )

Brightness. Huge bonus for Video games and sports in a semi-dark room.

Last edited by music_to_my_ear; Yesterday at 09:59 PM.
post #10730 of 10738 Unread Today, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
I can't tell you guys how relieving it was to watch the AFC New England vs Indiana game and not worry about the ticker, score box, or station logo leaving IR if I didnt run the screen wipe ( I own a 65ZT60 as well )
Samsung plasma wins CNET's accidental burn-in test

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-plasma-wins-cnets-accidental-burn-in-test/

"We accidentally let a static image run on three plasma TV review samples overnight, and a Samsung beat two Panasonics at avoiding image retention, aka burn-in." More at link.

Last edited by JRWalker; Today at 06:23 AM.
post #10731 of 10738 Unread Today, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Different question - haven't seen this one on the forum in a simple search, so here goes:
We have the PNF8500 series, purchased in the Boston area last year. All good so far.

Question: the smart hub can see and access our Sonos system, and through that access the NAS were the music library is stored. It is successful at navigating genres and so forth, but will not play any music, putting up a message 'File type not supported'. Music is either in FLAC or ALAC (m4A) formats. However, it did play FLAC directly from music on a USB stick. Might be a DLNA issue, Sonos does not claim to be DLNA compliant as far as I know.

Any ideas? Minor issue, but tantalizing close to playing our music library through the home theater system without any additional equipment or the need for a tablet or smartphone.

I saw that the 8500 allows 'mirroring' - haven't tried that. I don't suppose it supports airplay, but I could attach an Apple TV module.
post #10732 of 10738 Unread Today, 06:51 AM

Man, this is anyone's last chance to get this fantastic TV. I would use the lack of a remote and stand as leverage on price. There a bunch of broken panel 8500's on ebay. Maybe you could wrangle a deal on both. I have the 51" but really wanted the 60". I searched high and low for one.........nothing!

Quote:
post #10733 of 10738 Unread Today, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlinger

Sorry, but with respect to Chad and his business I cannot share my post settings. The CNET calibration you can get online and there are others posted on this forum. I thought CNET's were good but had some tinting issues on my display. Maybe try them out and with some tweeking you may find them to be pretty good.
post #10734 of 10738 Unread Today, 09:04 AM

The calibrator works out of the "service menu" I would think the settings that you can see would be useless. Am I correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlinger[I
MG]http://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG]

Sorry, but with respect to Chad and his business I cannot share my post settings. The CNET calibration you can get online and there are others posted on this forum. I thought CNET's were good but had some tinting issues on my display. Maybe try them out and with some tweeking you may find them to be pretty good.
post #10735 of 10738 Unread Today, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Gear View Post
The calibrator works out of the "service menu" I would think the settings that you can see would be useless. Am I correct?
Perhaps Chad went into the service menu to increase the brightness but otherwise he would have use the CMS and White Balance settings from the regular menu.

Since there is enough variance from one panel to the next it's not advisable to copy posted settings from others in any event.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #10736 of 10738 Unread Today, 10:39 AM

High Gear/Venus933

Being i'm not tech savy in regard to video calibration, not sure if Chad went into the service menu but it makes sense that he did. As I indicated earlier, Chad spent a great deal of time going back and forth setting, testing and then resetting until he got the maximun result he was looking for. Also, I received a pre/post calibration report which included all settings from the main menu for future reference if needed.

The PQ on this display is truely remarkable, and now with the professional calibration, sings like the wind!
post #10737 of 10738 Unread Today, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 116
new owners be cautious on those damn station logos. i have BI(yes permanent) not IR thanks to one of my lovely local stations.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread