Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 362 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #10831 of 10840 Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kg810 View Post
Thanks for the quick response.

I'll definitely do some reading on SquareTrade.

Even better, get it through Costco.

You don't need to have bought it from Costco.

Assuming you bought from any authorized retailer, with a credit card that doubles warranty, then you'll end up with this (for less than most 3 year warranties)-

Year 1- Samsung warranty
Year 2- Credit card warranty
Years 3,4, and 5- Square Trade warranty.

I think it was like $99 on my 64" 8500 and like $60 on my 51" 8500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10832 of 10840 Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I just bought the PN51F8500 TV and started using it, but I'm having a few problems with the TV. So I'd like to hear the experiences of other owners on these issues. I don't know if the TV is faulty or if there is a way to fix them. Samsung support has not been very helpful, and I only have until Saturday to return the TV if needed. So any help will be very appreciated.

The first thing is that whenever I enable Game Mode to use the ps4, the image looks grainy (like a noisy image). If I turn off Game Mode the image looks fine. I tried reducing the Sharpness but it doesn't help much. It's noticeable in games when there are bright scenes, and it's extremely evident on Netflix series such as Breaking Bad (via ps4).

The second thing is that I have read that renaming HDMI input to "PC" and using "Screen Fit'' reduces lag and avoids screen tearing when gaming. However, when I rename the input to "PC," "Screen Fit" becomes disabled. Is this supposed to happen? It seems that everyone suggests having both options enabled, but I can't have them at the same time. Also, PC deteriorates the picture quality really bad, it looks washed out.

Finally, the volume from SmartHub's apps is really low and the voices are kind of muffled. When watching Netflix I have to crank up the volume to 30 in order to more or less hear. When watching movies through Amazon, voices are very low compared to background sound (e.g. Inception). I've tried "Clear Sound" and other options but they don't change much.

Again, any advice/suggestions will be very helpful.
post #10833 of 10840 Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Everything you stated is normal. When in game node mode its very grainy... Game mode turns off all processing. Netflix is same for me too...usually I use volume 12 when viewing TV... On Netflix I use 20
post #10834 of 10840 Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL0 View Post
Hello,

Finally, the volume from SmartHub's apps is really low and the voices are kind of muffled. When watching Netflix I have to crank up the volume to 30 in order to more or less hear. When watching movies through Amazon, voices are very low compared to background sound (e.g. Inception). I've tried "Clear Sound" and other options but they don't change much.

Again, any advice/suggestions will be very helpful.
When I set "Auto Volume" in the Speaker settings menu to "Normal", it really gives me a boost to the audio. 30 Volume would blow me out of the room in that mode. Try it out if you haven't already. I also use "Clear Voice".
post #10835 of 10840 Old Yesterday, 11:47 PM

The uniformity on my brothers $800 Samsung 5300 plasma blows mine away .... His picture quality mirrors mine and balcks too.... His uniformity is perfect where mine has flaws.... What the hell Samsung ???
post #10836 of 10840 Old Today, 12:06 AM

Is "Screen Fit" disabled when HDMI is named "PC" for you too? What settings do you use for gaming? I notice the lag on default settings, and also in game mode. "PC," which has the smallest delay, doesn't look good.
post #10837 of 10840 Old Today, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
When I set "Auto Volume" in the Speaker settings menu to "Normal", it really gives me a boost to the audio. 30 Volume would blow me out of the room in that mode. Try it out if you haven't already. I also use "Clear Voice".
It does help. Now I find the volume at 15 for Netflix to be comfortable, and 10-9 for TV channels from air antenna. Thanks for the tip.
post #10838 of 10840 Unread Today, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by hove131 View Post
The uniformity on my brothers $800 Samsung 5300 plasma blows mine away .... His picture quality mirrors mine and balcks too.... His uniformity is perfect where mine has flaws.... What the hell Samsung ???
Smaller plasma screens will have less flaws, or noticeable flaws. Making plasma screens 65 inches or larger have been a challenge for tv makers.
post #10839 of 10840 Unread Today, 12:43 AM

His plasma is 60"
post #10840 of 10840 Unread Today, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by hove131 View Post
His plasma is 60"
Frankly I'm surprised you found a F5300 with good uniformity. All the ones I've seen are worse than my F8500s.

Making a uniform panel would cut into their profit margins! You just have to find one you can live with. You probably just bucked the odds and saw a best in show F5300 while your F8500 might be a bit of a mutt.

I'm new to plasma but I'm finding that the uniformity issues bother me more than on LED because they include color variance. Side lit LED's backlight variance bothers me less. While it's sad it also makes sense that getting millions of plasma cells to react to voltages in the exact same way is more difficult than avoiding pixel element variance on LCD. Better manufacturers than Samsung do it better IMO so it's possible... Just not profitable.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page