Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 363 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #10861 of 10875 Old 01-29-2015, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 104
It might be more appropriate for me to say F8500 flicker. Did you ever try a last gen Panny?

Living room: Sony KDL-60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Super Zero w/ NHT Ten Subwoofer, Panasonic DMP-BDT230 Blu-ray.
Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4 Sound Bar, Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray.
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10862 of 10875 Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hove131 View Post
The uniformity on my brothers $800 Samsung 5300 plasma blows mine away .... His picture quality mirrors mine and balcks too.... His uniformity is perfect where mine has flaws.... What the hell Samsung ???

Have you seen both TVs side by side in the same room with the same source? I have! Their color is quite close but the similarities stop there. Check out my post in another forum.
post #10863 of 10875 Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I have been getting a pop up saying something about unable to update. This has not happened before tonight.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #10864 of 10875 Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
I have been getting a pop up saying something about unable to update. This has not happened before tonight.
Same here. Weird...
post #10865 of 10875 Old Today, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Having a strange issue. My blacks have gotten bright! On a completely black screen, with lights off, the screen glows. I know for a fact, when I first got the unit this did not happen. Any ideas? Adjusting brightness has no affect, along with cell light. Has anyone had this issue??
post #10866 of 10875 Old Today, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by goombawa View Post
FYI update on my flickering issue - samsung just replaced my panel (11/14, mex) with one from korea (5/14) and a new power supply and still having the issue.

So, either I try again, or wave the white flag and get an LCD. (w850b, h7150)

Really disheartened.

Edit: Does anyone think the power coming from my wall might be the problem? It didn't with my fujitsu 50" (2004) but wondering if that could be the culprit. I tried going into my monster and direct and both had the problem.
I just remembered... Black Optimizer is known to introduce a bit of flicker on dark areas. I notice it in mostly black screens. I assume the solution is not that easy and you see flicker in bright content as well but you might trying turning Black Optimizer off.

Living room: Sony KDL-60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Super Zero w/ NHT Ten Subwoofer, Panasonic DMP-BDT230 Blu-ray.
Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4 Sound Bar, Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray.
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
post #10867 of 10875 Unread Today, 11:35 AM
sr

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post

I also notice that the Update option is grayed out even though the Internet connection test passed. So I contacted Samsung and they recommended that I switch to the TV input temporarily just to perform the update even though I use Input 4 exclusively. When I turned on the TV I happened to notice that I did not have to switch to the TV input as the Update option was available. So I checked it manually and it said that I have the latest update, which is ver. 1204. I guess the TV was having a bad day .
post #10868 of 10875 Unread Today, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamvmax View Post
Having a strange issue. My blacks have gotten bright! On a completely black screen, with lights off, the screen glows. I know for a fact, when I first got the unit this did not happen. Any ideas? Adjusting brightness has no affect, along with cell light. Has anyone had this issue??
What is HDMI black level set to? Is this on all sources? I had an issue similar to that after a FW update. I had to do a reset. That cleared it up. Of course, you will have to re-enter all your settings. After that, I always do a full reset after FW updates.
post #10869 of 10875 Unread Today, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
What is HDMI black level set to? Is this on all sources? I had an issue similar to that after a FW update. I had to do a reset. That cleared it up. Of course, you will have to re-enter all your settings. After that, I always do a full reset after FW updates.
Low, I will try a factory reset. Just do it through menu??? Or is there another way? Thanks
post #10870 of 10875 Unread Today, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Low, I will try a factory reset. Just do it through menu??? Or is there another way? Thanks
You can do it through the menu. I always disconnect all hdmi cables first and then reset. BTW, it's normal for a plasma to glow. You will not have a totally black screen with light turned off.

Last edited by wxman; Today at 12:11 PM.
post #10871 of 10875 Unread Today, 12:31 PM

Quote:
You can do it through the menu. I always disconnect all hdmi cables first and then reset. BTW, it's normal for a plasma to glow. You will not have a totally black screen with light turned off.
I dont have that issue with my c680, its just about invisible.
post #10872 of 10875 Unread Today, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I dont have that issue with my c680, its just about invisible.
Let your eyes adjust for a minute or two, in a totally dark room with a black slide displayed on tv. You will see a glow. Even the Kuros will have the plasma glow. The longer your eyes adjust, the brighter it will appear to glow. Plus, the lighter your eye color, the more you will notice the glow in a dark room.
HLdan likes this.

Last edited by wxman; Today at 12:58 PM.
post #10873 of 10875 Unread Today, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can anyone comment to the sturdiness on the base mounting stand? Trying to figure out options to get it to swivel. Randy has come up with some options in my thread

pn60f8500 swivel stand?

Seems the easiest option is a 31" turn table, but not sure if stand is sturdy enough for the outer 11" or so on each side to not be supported.

Samsung pn58b540 previously
Now PN60f5300

pn60f8500, on the way - hopefully
post #10874 of 10875 Unread Today, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvmxr View Post
Can anyone comment to the sturdiness on the base mounting stand? Trying to figure out options to get it to swivel. Randy has come up with some options in my thread

pn60f8500 swivel stand?

Seems the easiest option is a 31" turn table, but not sure if stand is sturdy enough for the outer 11" or so on each side to not be supported.
The base is actually attached near the ends (on my 51" model it's approximately 4.75" from each end) so I strongly recommend a turn table that's at least wide enough to support where it's attached to the panel otherwise you'll be stressing the base.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #10875 of 10875 Unread Today, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Let your eyes adjust for a minute or two, in a totally dark room with a black slide displayed on tv. You will see a glow. Even the Kuros will have the plasma glow. The longer your eyes adjust, the brighter it will appear to glow. Plus, the lighter your eye color, the more you will notice the glow in a dark room.
That's what dim bias lights are for. Mine are just bright enough so that a solid black screen on my F8500 only has the slightest hint of glow to it if you're really looking for it. My white wall ends up at only a few cd/m2.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page