Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 374 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #11191 of 11204 Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Guy's I have been away for a while and just come back on the grid. I have a doubt regarding the firmware update for our F8500.

I've never updated my firmware ever since my purchase since I read many owners complaining about reduction in brightness once the firmware is updated.

Is this still the case or is it safe for me to update to the latest firmware ?
on one hand, I think the ppl complaining about brightness are nuts, I've never seen any change in the picture quality from a fw update, and I've had the f8500 since may 2013

on the other hand, I've never noticed a change in picture quality from a fw update... so, unless there's something like brightness pops, or one of the smart features not working correctly, there's no need to update either.
KONICA TECH likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11192 of 11204 Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ticker judder

My PN64F8500 has intermittent motion judder on the tickers of all channels that have them. It seems to happen when there is action on the main screen. It will be fine 85% of the time, but when the back round has a lot of movement the ticker will blur and or judder. I have tried all or the judder settings (off,standard,smooth) to no avail. There is no problem with the main picture on any channel, just the tickers. Any ideas?
post #11193 of 11204 Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroAddict View Post
My PN64F8500 has intermittent motion judder on the tickers of all channels that have them. It seems to happen when there is action on the main screen. It will be fine 85% of the time, but when the back round has a lot of movement the ticker will blur and or judder. I have tried all or the judder settings (off,standard,smooth) to no avail. There is no problem with the main picture on any channel, just the tickers. Any ideas?
Have you tried setting Film Mode to Auto 2?
post #11194 of 11204 Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
on one hand, I think the ppl complaining about brightness are nuts, I've never seen any change in the picture quality from a fw update, and I've had the f8500 since may 2013

on the other hand, I've never noticed a change in picture quality from a fw update... so, unless there's something like brightness pops, or one of the smart features not working correctly, there's no need to update either.
Thanks. No I did not see any brightness pops in any movies yet and I don't use the smart features much , so I guess I better not do the firmware update.

Why fix something when it ain't broke , right ? Thanks again.
fierce_gt likes this.
post #11195 of 11204 Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM

Well.....that did it. I switched it to film mode 2 and the judder on the tickers is gone, on all channels. I have so many questions as to why, but I will ask only the most obvious. Why does the motion judder setting not make a difference but the film mode setting does? And a big thank you also.
post #11196 of 11204 Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well.....that did it. I switched it to film mode 2 and the judder on the tickers is gone, on all channels. I have so many questions as to why, but I will ask only the most obvious. Why does the motion judder setting not make a difference but the film mode setting does? And a big thank you also.
Auto 1 is used for film based material when watching 1080i movies on OTA, cable or satellite. Auto 2 is used for Video based 1080i material such as sports and shows on OTA, cable or satellite. You will notice Film mode greyed out on 720p channels. The reason is that 1080i is not at 60fps whereas 720p is 60fps.
venus933 likes this.

Last edited by wxman; Yesterday at 09:26 PM.
post #11197 of 11204 Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Auto 1 is used for film based material when watching 1080i movies on OTA, cable or satellite. Auto 2 is used for Video based 1080i material such as sports and shows on OTA, cable or satellite. You will notice Film mode greyed out on 720p channels. The reason is that 1080i is not at 60fps whereas 720p is 60fps. So the tv has to try and adjust for 24 fps movies sent at 30fps thus the need for Auto 1. Video based material such as sports is sent at a different fps, thus the need to smooth that with Auto 2.
So am I giving up any picture quality using film mode 2?
post #11198 of 11204 Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So am I giving up any picture quality using film mode 2?
You are not giving up any picture quality. If you are watching a movie via cable/satellite on one of the 1080i networks, switch it to Auto 1. You will see less judder. The majority of the time, just leave it on Auto 2 with MJC off. If you watch fast moving sports like hockey, football, etc, Auto 2 with MJC set to Standard works well.
post #11199 of 11204 Old Today, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Weird issue I noticed while my TV was powered OFF. TV had been off for about 5 hours. Out of nowhere the red power led on the front started blinking ...and then completely went black. I was able to power up the TV just fine with the remote and turn back off...and now have a red solid light again. Any ideas??
post #11200 of 11204 Old Today, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hove131 View Post
Weird issue I noticed while my TV was powered OFF. TV had been off for about 5 hours. Out of nowhere the red power led on the front started blinking ...and then completely went black. I was able to power up the TV just fine with the remote and turn back off...and now have a red solid light again. Any ideas??
I consider this "normal" since it happens to me, but I have NO CLUE why it happens. It is rare, but I notice it because the light will blink first, attracting my attention.
post #11201 of 11204 Old Today, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
You are not giving up any picture quality. If you are watching a movie via cable/satellite on one of the 1080i networks, switch it to Auto 1. You will see less judder. The majority of the time, just leave it on Auto 2 with MJC off. If you watch fast moving sports like hockey, football, etc, Auto 2 with MJC set to Standard works well.
I don't think that's exactly how it works. Auto 1 and Auto 2 seem to be settings of how aggressively the F8500 attempts to look for 3:2 (or other) pulldown patterns in content and try to restore them to progressive film frames instead of deinterlacing. Auto 2 is definitely less aggressive than Auto 1. However, even Auto 2 doesn't always get it right on video based content and will sometimes let interlacing through because it thinks it's found a pattern where there is none. I've found that for the most part Auto 1 and Auto 2 have the same effect on film based content. If you have a pure video source, like your local news, a sports event, or something like SNL, using Off rather than Auto 2 will stop the occasional interlaced artifact from slipping through.
post #11202 of 11204 Old Today, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys just a friendly reminder, if ur tv does not auto update, which mine is set to but does not do......there is a new firmware update, 1206. It probably does nothing, but its there if you care to update.
post #11203 of 11204 Old Today, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTerminator View Post
Hey guys just a friendly reminder, if ur tv does not auto update, which mine is set to but does not do......there is a new firmware update, 1206. It probably does nothing, but its there if you care to update.
What does firmware 1206 do? I don't want to risk changing pic quality as I am pleased with my current settings.
post #11204 of 11204 Old Today, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
What does firmware 1206 do? I don't want to risk changing pic quality as I am pleased with my current settings.
fw fixes bugs in the software, or adds features. at this point in the game, it's safe to assume the only thing affected will be smart features.

it would REALLY be nice if Samsung actually stated the changes though. How hard would it be to say that 1206 adds blah blah to Netflix or something...

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page