Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 375 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #11221 of 11227 Unread Today, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
The added functionality is mainly related to the TV/Tuner input for things like the PVR function.
I've seen you make passing mentions of a PVR function a few times. Is there a writeup somewhere you could link to that goes into more detail? I'd be interested in knowing how to turn it on as well as your opinion on whether it's worth turning on. Another tuner capable of recording might come in handy from time to time.

edit: Just realized the link in your signature probably has all of this info. Sorry for asking before looking. I'd still be interested in just knowing your opinion of whether this particular rabbit hole is worth exploring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11222 of 11227 Unread Today, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post
I'd still be interested in just knowing your opinion of whether this particular rabbit hole is worth exploring.
Probably only if you watch OTA stuff and want to record it. You can enable it without SamyGO in the service menu (Option->MRT->PVR Support->ON). With SamyGO you can change some of the behavior of the start/stop times and EPG, as well as record to any attached device. Recordings can also be decrypted for playback on other devices.
post #11223 of 11227 Unread Today, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
Probably only if you watch OTA stuff and want to record it. You can enable it without SamyGO in the service menu (Option->MRT->PVR Support->ON). With SamyGO you can change some of the behavior of the start/stop times and EPG, as well as record to any attached device. Recordings can also be decrypted for playback on other devices.
Sounds easy enough to give it a try.

You mention that SamyGO adds the ability to record to an attached device. I take it then that by default the PVR records to some internal memory? How much is there?
post #11224 of 11227 Unread Today, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post
Sounds easy enough to give it a try.

You mention that SamyGO adds the ability to record to an attached device. I take it then that by default the PVR records to some internal memory? How much is there?
No I meant that without the patch the TV will require you to format an ext4 filesystem on whatever USB device you attach for your recorder. With the patch you can use any existing USB device regardless of format.
post #11225 of 11227 Unread Today, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting option; though we don't really get OTA stuff here so not much benefit for me. Makes sense that you would require ext4 as Samsung runs a variant of linux on their TVs.
post #11226 of 11227 Unread Today, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched but didn't find it. What buttons do I press to get into Service Menu to enable the PVR? All I watch is OTA and I would like to record it. I own Pn60f8500 for serveral months now and I don't want to mess with the firmware, yet.
post #11227 of 11227 Unread Today, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prany View Post
I searched but didn't find it. What buttons do I press to get into Service Menu to enable the PVR? All I watch is OTA and I would like to record it. I own Pn60f8500 for serveral months now and I don't want to mess with the firmware, yet.
ok two things since there seems to be some renewed interest in the PVR function. First is that you have to access the advanced service menu and for that you need a service remote or emulator. The easiest way I know of to emulate the factory remote is to add the device "UE55ES7080" to your harmony remote as this device has the supported keys. Using this device you enter "info + factory" to enter the advance menus and then "factory + factory" to exit back to normal TV.

The second is I just tested this again on my display and it is no longer working after I upgraded to the 1206 firmware.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread