Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 385 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #11521 of 11535 Old 03-23-2015, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Problems are often out of proportion on forums. I mean not many people post just to say, "Oh wow! What a great display!" except as side comment while discussing setup procedures, etc.
But people with problems do congregate to discuss the issues at hand. Of course, the threads are the longest on the most popular brands.

So I don't know what the real numbers are... if you go by CR they are crappier for Samsung than for Panasonic, etc. But not by huge amounts.
In any case, regardless of brand, I don't think I have 100% faith in any these days. And it is probably a good idea to have a Costco/Square Trade purchase and extended warranty for the best protection.
I chose VE for purchase because they did have them in stock and were new and factory sealed, while several other sets online were questionable. Plus, besides the pre Cal they offer, I think the 200 hr. break-in period before they even put your credit card through is an excellent service that could save more than a few people some grief early on.

Samsung PN51F8500, Emotiva UMC200, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung BD-H5900 BluRay, Dish Hopper, Furman Elite pf-15 conditioner, Dali Ikon (Ikon6, Vokal2, OnWalls) Outlaw Audio LFM-EX subwoofer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11522 of 11535 Old 03-23-2015, 11:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
Yep, sure can. Go to screen mirroring on the tv, then go to devices on the tablet, project, add new device, and wait for the Samsung to pop up. Select it and it will take w minute, then bam, screen mirror ready to go. Lag is awful, but it works wells enough.
Thanks for posting this, I picked up a Lenovo Yoga 3 over the weekend and wasn't aware it could do that. I just tried the mirroring and it works great. When you say lag, where does the lag happen? I watched a couple YouTube videos and the audio/video sync was excellent.
post #11523 of 11535 Old Yesterday, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Yep, sure can. Go to screen mirroring on the tv, then go to devices on the tablet, project, add new device, and wait for the Samsung to pop up. Select it and it will take w minute, then bam, screen mirror ready to go. Lag is awful, but it works wells enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Thanks for posting this, I picked up a Lenovo Yoga 3 over the weekend and wasn't aware it could do that. I just tried the mirroring and it works great. When you say lag, where does the lag happen? I watched a couple YouTube videos and the audio/video sync was excellent.
I tried it last night too. I didn't think the lag was so bad. Noticeable yes. But for the things I'd use mirroring for, trivial. If I were trying to use a mouse looking only at the TV, then it'd be awful.

But it wasn't all rosy. I had a couple of issues.
1. Picture transferred just fine, but sound didn't. How do I get sound to go with it?
2. The TV kept kicking back to its previous input after a few minutes. I'm not sure whether this was because the tablet stopped sending the signal or the TV decided to switch on its own. I was split screening on the tablet trying to figure out how to get the sound to transfer. Maybe if I'd just left the youtube video full screen it wouldn't have kicked out.

Anybody know the solution to these problems?
post #11524 of 11535 Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I am having trouble pairing all of my 3D glasses with my F8500. I get within 20" of the set and press the button like it says to. I get one pair that the blinks and syncs. The message pops up saying 3D glasses sync. Now I try the next one. It blinks no message doesn't work. Try third pair. It just blinks once and doesn't work. Do have to do them all at once? What am I missing?
post #11525 of 11535 Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
I am having trouble pairing all of my 3D glasses with my F8500. I get within 20" of the set and press the button like it says to. I get one pair that the blinks and syncs. The message pops up saying 3D glasses sync. Now I try the next one. It blinks no message doesn't work. Try third pair. It just blinks once and doesn't work. Do have to do them all at once? What am I missing?
Sometimes the batteries that ship with the glasses are nearly dead. You may need to get new batteries.
post #11526 of 11535 Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
yes, they are the same.
Hi Zoyd, I'm about to order the meter and plan on using HCFR to do the calibration. Hoping you can give me some pointers on the proper workflow given you experiences.

I plan to start by doing a White Balance calibration within the Advance Service Menu first and then perform a workflow from there for Movie, and Standard (day / night) settings.
post #11527 of 11535 Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 22
all I want is that

STUPID MESSAGE TO STOP POPPING UP

everytime you turn it on

argh....
I WANT MORE likes this.

64PNF8500 Plasma, Yamama RX-V1900, BIC Acoustech 5.1
post #11528 of 11535 Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
all I want is that

everytime you turn it on

argh....
WantsNWarrants had a good suggestion.

Official Samsung PNxxF8500 "Bugs" Thread

Last edited by wxman; Yesterday at 02:46 PM.
post #11529 of 11535 Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Watch the mouse cursor as your move it. Wouldn't work if you wanted to game - you would need the HDMI adaptor. For watching videos, it's perfect.

Klipsch RF-62 II's, RC-62II, RS-52 II's
SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
post #11530 of 11535 Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post
I tried it last night too. I didn't think the lag was so bad. Noticeable yes. But for the things I'd use mirroring for, trivial. If I were trying to use a mouse looking only at the TV, then it'd be awful.

But it wasn't all rosy. I had a couple of issues.
1. Picture transferred just fine, but sound didn't. How do I get sound to go with it?
2. The TV kept kicking back to its previous input after a few minutes. I'm not sure whether this was because the tablet stopped sending the signal or the TV decided to switch on its own. I was split screening on the tablet trying to figure out how to get the sound to transfer. Maybe if I'd just left the youtube video full screen it wouldn't have kicked out.

Anybody know the solution to these problems?
It has its quirks - it took me a few times to sync it right at first. I had the no sound issue, disconnected and reconnected and got sound. I got kicked off occasionally too.

Klipsch RF-62 II's, RC-62II, RS-52 II's
SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
post #11531 of 11535 Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Watch the mouse cursor as your move it. Wouldn't work if you wanted to game - you would need the HDMI adaptor. For watching videos, it's perfect.
Ah, okay, I thought you were talking about audio/video sync, my fault for mixing up the terminology.

----

When used in this fashion, will the F5800's audio output work to feed to an AVR? I was going to try it tonight, I just used the display's speakers in the earlier test but was curious about the AVR connection.
post #11532 of 11535 Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
all I want is that

everytime you turn it on

argh....
What's sort of weird is it has stopped on my E7000 for a couple of weeks now.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #11533 of 11535 Old Today, 06:32 AM

I have had my pn60f8500 for 3 months now. I have done no calibration and still enjoy it. However, the brightness is a bit lacking during the day for the room I have it in. my LR gets tons of sun light from two sides during day. I am thinking of moving it to a new HT I am almost done building in walkout basement and buying an LCD for LR or keeping it in LR and putting new one in HT.

The dilemma I have is I don't see rave reviews for any LCD (4k or no 4k) like I did for the f8500. Does anyone who has an f8500 also have a 60-65" LCD (4k or not) that they could recommend? The LCD forums have been a little helpful but I want to hear it from someone who has an f8500 first.
post #11534 of 11535 Old Today, 08:38 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoepup View Post
I have had my pn60f8500 for 3 months now. I have done no calibration and still enjoy it. However, the brightness is a bit lacking during the day for the room I have it in. my LR gets tons of sun light from two sides during day. I am thinking of moving it to a new HT I am almost done building in walkout basement and buying an LCD for LR or keeping it in LR and putting new one in HT.

The dilemma I have is I don't see rave reviews for any LCD (4k or no 4k) like I did for the f8500. Does anyone who has an f8500 also have a 60-65" LCD (4k or not) that they could recommend? The LCD forums have been a little helpful but I want to hear it from someone who has an f8500 first.
I really don't think you'll find an LCD, even 4k, that can compete with the 8500. I looked, but ended up lucking out and getting an 8500 as well. You can get kind of close, but you'll probably pay more than what the 8500 went for retail, and even then as far as motion and probably viewing angle the plasma will still be better. Generally, you'll probably want the LCD in the room with more unavoidable light so probably move the plasma to your HT room. Make sure you get a full-array local dimming (FALD) LCD, that will definitely perform best. Vizios do fine and they are generally lower priced than others, since you've already got your 8500 you may not want to try and get another flagship TV, but that's up to you of course.

And at least play around with the settings on that 8500 -- it's definitely not even close to optimal in Standard.

Last edited by mwl001; Today at 08:39 AM. Reason: additional info
post #11535 of 11535 Unread Today, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwl001 View Post
I really don't think you'll find an LCD, even 4k, that can compete with the 8500. I looked, but ended up lucking out and getting an 8500 as well. You can get kind of close, but you'll probably pay more than what the 8500 went for retail, and even then as far as motion and probably viewing angle the plasma will still be better. Generally, you'll probably want the LCD in the room with more unavoidable light so probably move the plasma to your HT room. Make sure you get a full-array local dimming (FALD) LCD, that will definitely perform best. Vizios do fine and they are generally lower priced than others, since you've already got your 8500 you may not want to try and get another flagship TV, but that's up to you of course.

And at least play around with the settings on that 8500 -- it's definitely not even close to optimal in Standard.

Thanks. I will keep my eye out for someone selling an 8500. Mine is only 60" and I prefer 64" in theater but that is not the end of the world.

I do agree I need to tweak it. Soon after getting it I started work on basement. So time to tweak has been non existent. I see in the LCD forums they eagerly share settings and think they are workable across same TV different household. In the plasma forums I find this not to be true. Maybe I will start with the Disney WOW.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page